Chapter 45 – Rescue on Rexus
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

["Rescue on Rexus"]

"Almost a day had passed since the UF infiltrators got into Rexus Prime to gather information"

{Location: EUF regional HQ - Washington DC}

Morgan: ...Well, I did as we discussed, Duke. Nothing more.

(From phone)Duke Wellington: Good. So it's settled then. At least we got that out of the way. Right. I've got to go. Inform me for anything else that comes up. Goodbye.

Morgan: Goodbye Duke...

"David turns to the operator next to him"

Morgan: Sergeant Foy, how's it going? Have we found anything yet?

EUF Operator: No sir! Nothing so far.

Morgan: Well, where are they (the infiltrators)? What happened? They should have given us a report hours ago! I----

EUF Operator: Sir, sir! I found something!

Morgan: What is it man?

EUF Operator: Here. They left a distress signal just a few hours ago. It must have reached us just now, it seems.

Morgan: A distress signal? Oh no. We need to act fast.

EUF Operator: I know sir, but what can we do? Do we even have enough time?

Morgan: We do if we start now. First we need a squad. What "elites" are available?

EUF Operator: None from what I can see sir. Most of them are on a mission or unavailable.

Morgan: How about Bravo? Are they active?

EUF Operator: Negative sir. Bravo squad is with 2LT M.Green, sir.

Morgan: Darn. So there's no one else?

EUF Operator: Only one squad is available, sir.

Morgan: Great. What squad?

EUF Operator: Your squad, sir. Ghost squad.

Morgan: Ah...Of course they are. Darn...I can't believe I'm doing this again...

"Meanwhile, Ghost Squad is training for their morning routine on the simulator"

Reyna: Rj, watch left!

Susan: East you guys, east!

Zeon: I see enemy, bearing 230.

Rj: Yup, he's moving to 250!

Susan: Reyna, pass me a 'nade.

Reyna: There you go honey.

Susan: Lovely!

Rj: Hey! I want one too! Why are you giving them all to her?

Reyna: Because you wasted yours on low level enemies and now the level has increased.

Rj: Oh. Touche.

Susan: Guys watch out!

Rj: Oh...fuck my life...

"A grenade hits all of them as they were close to each other. The simulation ends"

Susan: Spacing, you guys...

Rj: Ah, great stuff Reyna!

Reyna: What? Why are you blaming me? You're the one who began chit chatting in the middle of fucking combat!

Susan: Guys, guys. Relax. It was just the spacing that was wrong.

Reyna: Yeah right. The spacing.

Zeon: Actually...

Rj: Ah, whatever. I'm going to take a bath. That was...fun.

Reyna: Yeah. Jokes aside, this was our best performance as a team, I would say.

Susan: I mean...we did make it through the last difficulty level.

Zeon: Almost survived.

Reyna: Yeah, almost.

"Suddenly, the communicators are ringing"

Rj: Oh hi Morgan.

Morgan: Guys...listen carefully. I have a very important mission for you. I know I'm going to regret doing this, but right now, we need you.

Reyna: Oh, you need us?

Morgan: Yes, Reyna. Damn it, you're the only ones available and we are running out of time!

Susan: What happened?

Morgan: A day ago, we sent three infiltrators to sneak into Rexus Prime and gather information about what was going on, since everyone we had there died in seconds.

Rj: By what?

Morgan: We are not sure. Both our entire fleet there got destroyed and our troops on the ground didn't even stand a chance. We do not yet know the origins of these spaceships nor about the robots there.

Reyna: Robots? What robots?

Morgan: Assault ones. Some soldiers managed to inform us of what was going on. One just before...he died. We only heard something about some robots falling from the skies. Must have been landing capsules.

Susan: My God...So what do we do now?

Morgan: Well, this is where you come in. I must make this quick. Time is passing and our agents are in grave danger.

Rj: All we need is the plan. Nothing more.

Morgan: First of all you must come to the regional head quartets. At the dock bay. There you'll board a corvette that will take you to Pluto. From there you'll refuel and head to Rexus Prime with your ship that will be loaded inside.

Reyna: Wait. You said there was an enemy fleet that destroyed our ships in orbit. So they're most probably going to be there too. Now, getting in will be one thing. But getting out? How are we going to manage both of them? They will detect us.

Morgan: Don't worry. I have this figured out. You won't be alone. You will be accompanied by an escort fleet. Two cruises and about thirty assault fighters.

Rj: So if anything goes wrong, you send them to create a distraction for us to get out.

Morgan: Correct.

Susan: Wait, how are we going to find the agents?

Morgan: Through their signal. They've sent a distress signal a few hours ago that just reached our ears. You will be able to track their location down. But I must warn you. You'll be in enemy territory with no allied support. It'll be just the four of you going in, since Kate and Max are not present.

Zeon: What about them, admiral? I mean Kate and Max.

Morgan: Unfortunately they were needed elsewhere. Guys. This is the time to make up for the previous time. This is risky, I know. But I have faith in you. I've put my trust in you. So whatever you did wrong before, forget it. Focus on getting better. And most importantly. Do it like a team.

Reyna: We will.

Morgan: Great. Enough talking. Gear up and don't be late. Morgan out. Good luck Ghost Squad.

"Ghost Squad geared up and was transported to Pluto where they took off after they had refuelled"

EUF Pilot: Ghost Squad, we are close to Rexus Prime. ETA ten mikes. Be ready guys. Get ready to fly that ship of yours off when the green light's up.

Reyna: Right. Well we only got one chance in this. So let's not screw it up this time.

Rj: Oh please. It's not like everything we do goes to shit. It happened one time. So what? I think Morgan doesn't trust us one bit. At least not anymore.

Susan: I don't know guys. I agree with Rj on this one. We only had successes so far and we only failed once. Is that all it takes for someone's trust to diminish to zero?

Reyna: Well, it's not like he doesn't believe in us at all.

Susan: Well Rey, I think it's exactly that.

Reyna: Oh come on. Guys come on! You can't seriously think that! Can...you?

Zeon: I think the guys are right Reyna. Maybe we mean nothing to him anymore.

Rj: Maybe this is all just a death sentence to get rid of us. All he needs is the Prime minister's orders.

Reyna: Rejar! You can't seriously be---

Rj: Thinking that? Because I do. Everyone on this planet died a few days ago. All that's left is enemy and more enemy.

Reyna: Well. Then how about the escort fleet? Did he send them to die as well? THINK, guys! Don't let depression get you down. Not when we need TRUST the most.

Rj: Whatever. Let's just get this over with so I can get back to my bed and sleep.

EUF Pilot: We're almost there! Activating invisibility cloak. The rest of the fleet is going to wait until you get back and come if you need a way out. You have one hour max.

Reyna: Understood. Okay guys. Are you ready?

Rj: Yeah.

Susan: I'm ready.

Zeon: Ready.

Reyna: Good. And cheer up for God's sake. You know the plan.

Rj: What if the plan goes south?

Reyna: What do you mean?

Rj: What do you think I mean? Like, what if everything goes wrong in this one, too?

Reyna: It won't. I promise you that.

Rj: Yeah. Keep your promises Rey. It's better that way.

EUF Pilot: Guys, green light! Go - Go - Go!

Reyna: Alright. Let's do this.

"The Squad flies their ship off the corvette's hangar and stealthily heads inside Rexus Prime. They spot a huge number of ships in orbit. However, as shown by the radars, none has the radius to reach their signal. As if it focuses heavily on combat rather than intelligence. The ships do notice them though, but they can't reach the ship in time. Our team heads inside the atmosphere and searches for the allied signal. They seem to be approaching fast"

Reyna: Alright. The signal seems to be coming from this old warehouse there. And there is also a stealth-type ship just west from where we are. Probably our friends landed here. You have eyes?

Rj: Copy. I see them.

Susan: I say you land here. It's like 200 meters from the warehouse. We can go by foot. Ship will make too much noice.

Zeon: Indeed. And they might be surrounded by enemies for all we know.

Rj: Strange though. Too many ships in orbit, too few inside the atmosphere. What are they trying to do?

Reyna: Only one way to find out.

Rj: Right. Reyna. We need someone in the ship. We can't just all go searching. What if they spot us?

Reyna: Don't know, Rj. I think all four of us down there will be better.

Rj: No, trust me. If something goes south---

Reyna: You told me that. It won't!

Rj: Well, if something does...Then we'll need fast EVAC.

Susan: I mean. It does makes sense.

Zeon: True. But one extra hand would be nice.

Reyna: Well time is running out and they might be in a lot of trouble. I'm coming.

Rj: No, Rey. Stay. We need someone just in case.

Reyna: But---

Rj: No buts.

Susan: Rj is probably right. Stay here Reyna. It will only just take a moment.

Reyna: I---Ah. Fuck. Okay. Just hurry up! Signal here isn't very strong, so just use your communicator's ping if you need me. Got it? I'll be in the ship.

Rj: Got it. Let's go.

Zeon: Ah. Splitting up again...This won't turn out good.

Susan: Z'. Stop. It'll be fine. Let's go.

Zeon: I have a bad feeling about this.

"Some minutes later the team reaches the warehouse. They see three figures behind some rubble. Along the way, they spot a lot of dead Rexian soldiers. Once they get closer, the three figures pop up and aim at them"

Person: Hold it! We will shoot you if you come any closer!

Rj: We have guns too, you know! Wait...You don't seem like Rexians!

Person: Neither do you! Who sent you?

"The team closes up to the person. They also see one man heavily wounded and another man taking care of him. They bear EUF's logo on their shoulders"

Rj: We're EUF special forces. We came to save you.

Person: You...you're EUF? Oh my God. Thank you Jesus! Guys! We've got help!

Person 2: HELL YEAH! I knew they weren't going to let us die! I just knew it!

Person: Ah, the signal must have reached them! Very good to see you guys. I'm Sergeant Nicholes. This one is Corporal Berry and that's Private Hanks. He's heavily wounded. We need medevac.

Susan: No worries. We have a ship. We'll get you out of here no problem.

SGT.Nicholes: Fuck! They somehow knew we were coming. Maybe they saw us coming down. Set an ambush on us. We managed to hold them off for some time, but then Hanks was shot to the side. As you can see, from the bodies, we killed quite a few. They surrounded us. We couldn't escape.

CPL.Berry: And we're out of ammo as well.

SGT.Nicholes: Did you see our ship when you came here? Is it still operational? Any noticeable damage?

Rj: Negative. None from what we saw.

SGT.Nicholes: Good. So that means we'll board ours and head off. Easier that way.

CPL.Berry: Private Hanks is stable for now. Still unconscious though.

SGT.Nicholas: Great. Let's go.

Susan: Alright. Follow us. It's this way.

SGT.Nicholas: Wait. How are we going to get out of the planet? I'm sure you noticed the amount of enemy ships in orbit, did you not? From what we saw they have a limited range but getting out will be ten times the trouble.

Rj: No worries. Admiral Morgan sent us here with an escort fleet. About a couple corvettes and approximately thirty fighters.

SGT.Nicholas: Good. Good. That's something, at least. A distraction, yes. Right. Let's hurry. Our private needs blood and we've got some intel to deliver.

Susan: Right. Let's make a run for it then.

"They all ran to reach their ships. All of a sudden, once they got out of the building, they saw a small ship above their heads make a sharp turn and land opposite them. The ramp then lowered and about a dozen robots came out, forming a line in front of it. Their weapons were not pointing at the squad"

Susan: Um, what's going on?

Rj: Yeah, why are they not shooting at us?

SGT.Nicholes: Question is, why are we not shooting at them?

CPL.Berry: Who cares? Maybe they just broke! Guys. We need to get out, quick!

Rj: Wait. Someone is coming out.

"A man was slowly coming out of the ship. It was Victus. He was clapping at them"

Rj: Victus!

Susan: What? How did he know---?

SGT.Nicholes: What is going on here? How did he---?

Victus: Well, well, well. Bra-vo! Bravo indeed, ghost kids.

Rj: It's Ghost Squad, you stupid son of a bitch!

(Whispering)SGT.Nicholes: Fuck, what are you waiting for? Just shoot the man already!

(Whispering)Rj: I can't! Too many fucking bots covering him! We need to create an opening.

(Whispering)SGT.Nicholes: Ah, Fuck that shit. Guys. Let's go while they're distracting them!

(Whispering)CPL.Berry: Right behind you sarge! Let those idiots die if they wish.

Victus: Ah, the blond arrogant one. Rj, is it not? And the girl next to you...Susan, right? Susan Rain? Impressive, I must say. You managed to escape my prison. Now, I would guess there's more of you. But oh well they must be hiding for now. No worries. I will hunt them down sooner or later. No one can escape me.

Susan: YOU SON OF A BITCH! Face me alone! Don't hide behind your robots!

Victus: From what I can see you're doing the same thing, miss Rain. Though, I admire your passion guys, I really do. I know it was easy getting in here, of course. After all my armada isn't yet fully fletched. Just some minor...adjustments, that's all.

Rj: How did you know we were coming?

Victus: Oh that? It was the easiest part, actually. I knew Morgan would send his best team here since his infiltrators got jacked. And what better squad to do it than the ghost buster...kids...Whatever.

Rj: Ghost Squad!---Fuck...All you are is one simple grenade, Vicky. Too lucky I don't have one though. You don't know how happy it would be to see your brains flying off your ugly head!

Victus: Words words and more words, Rj. When will you ever grow up?

Susan: All this time I tried to reach you. And now...now I just have you right in front of me.

Victus: Indeed, Susan. You do. And I would be more than glad to offer you a great fight. But that's not going to happen in this or even the next life. Because you see, I came prepared.

Rj: Prepared to die, that's for sure. To be standing infront of us, you must have a death wish.

Victus: Not quite, kid. For starters...oh, let's just say I have a little "surprise" for you. Look back.

Rj: What are you---

"The team can hear fighter sounds closing up on them. A few seconds later the sounds get louder and louder as a couple of Rexian Bombers fly above the infiltrators's ship blowing it to pieces"

Rj: No...

Susan: Oh God...

Victus: What? You thought they would just sneak in here and I wouldn't even notice? I told you. Morgan is just so predictable.

Susan: You...motherfucker...idiot son of A BITCH!

"Victus began smiling"

Victus: How could you possibly think you could win? How could you be so naive as to think I wouldn't even react to all of this? No, guys. See, I'm the man in charge here. And you? Oh well. Consider yourselves dead anyway.

Rj: You...will pay...for this.

Victus: Yeah, yeah. I'm sure. Now. Enough talking.

"The Robots aim at them"

Victus: Any last words?

Rj: Yes...

Victus: Oh? And what is that?

Rj:...You forgot I have a sister.

"All of a sudden, Reyna appears from behind and does a strafing run at the enemy. Victus quickly reacts and heads inside his ship. Most of the robots are destroyed by the gun run. The team runs to head to the ship as Reyna is hovering while also firing with her side turrets"

Zeon: We're all in!

Rj: Push it sister! Let's get out of here!

Reyna: You've got it! Transferring all power to the engines!

"The ship is heading outside the planet. Several fighters arrive and are pursuing them along with Victus"

Susan: Fuck, fuck! We need to call the distraction fleet!

Rj: On it!

Reyna: They're on to us! Make it faster, Rj!

Rj: I'm trying, I'm trying!

Susan: Fucking hell. Everything went wrong!

Reyna: What the hell happened back there? I saw the friken blast!

Susan: Of course you did, it was the others!

Reyna: What? God...Oh no. Fuck! I told you it wasn't---

Rj: NOT NOW REYNA!

Reyna: Fuck...Zeon, get to the main gun. Fire at those ships!

Zeon: On it.

Reyna: Susan, co-pilot.

Susan: You got it.

Reyna: Rj, what the hell is taking you so long?

Rj: Wait a second! ...There! Escort fleet, this is Ghost Squad. We need a distraction to get out. They're on to us! Reaching orbit in about...one mike. How copy?

Fleet Captain: I read you Ghost Squad. Copy that, the fleet is on its way. Don't worry. We'll be there in a flash - out.

Rj: Copy that! Alright guys, you heard the man!

Susan: Damn! We've got incoming from admiral Morgan! I'm passing it through!

[From communications]Morgan: Ghost Squad, what the fuck happened back there? The fleet captain informed me you got engaged in combat!

Rj: This isn't the right time David! Rj out!

[From communications]Morgan: Wait! Rj ---

{{ Comminication ended }}

Susan: Damn it! What do we do now?

Reyna: Getting ourselves out of here, that's what.

"After some seconds, Ghost Squad reached the orbit. There's no sign of the distraction fleet"

Reyna: Oh no. They're not here.

Rj: Hell, they should have arrived by now. What's happening?

"The enemy ships in orbit start to point their guns at the ship. They are about to fire. When all of a sudden two corvettes and a lot of fighters jump out of hyper space and quickly engage to distract the enemy fleet. There's chaos everywhere. Fighters are being lunched, fire is coming from all directions and Victus is also behind them"

Rj: Hell yeah! There they are! Max speed Rey!

Reyna: On it!

Victus: No, no! You're going to lose them you idiots! Ah fuck, get out of there! When you need something done, you better do it yourself!

"Victus's ship is closing in on Ghost Squad"

Zeon: Reyna! Gun is empty. I can no longer fire.

Reyna: Oh shit. This isn't good.

"Victus throws a missile on their ship. It's shields are out"

Rj: Fucking hell! The shields are down! One more of that salvo and we're out!

Reyna: Wait. I see an opening! Here we go!

"Reyna spots a brief opening between a friendly corvette and two enemy frigates. As they pass through, the UF corvette is getting ripped apart by the concentrated fire. They make it to the other side"

Rj: Holly fuck! We're out! Oh God, we made it!

Reyna: But...the rest didn't...

Rj: I...

Susan: Guys...look...

"As they escape, they look behind from one of the windows and see all the escort fleet destroyed. No one is left. The corvettes are floating in space while burning from inside and the last remaining fighters can be seen being shot down by the enemy. After a while the team enters super cruise to reach Earth. Everyone seems 'lost'. They don't know what to think or how to feel. There's an akward silence. Suddenly, David Morgan appears on the screen holo, in the cockpit"

[From Screen]Morgan: Guys! Guys, what hap----

"Morgan looks at them. He silences for a little bit. Even Zeon seems sad"

[From Screen]Morgan: Guys...

Reyna: ...I'm sorry David. I really am. You were right after all...We don't act like a team. We...we failed you.

[From Screen]Morgan: Wh---what happened to the agents?

Rj: ...Gone. All of them. And not just those three. But all of the others. All of the fleet...

Susan: Only we...made it out alive...

[From Screen]Morgan: Oh no.

Rj: There's nothing. No more. It's over. We're over...

[From Screen]Morgan: I put my trust in you. Everything I had...I gave you, just for this moment.

Reyna: And...we ruined it. We failed. No need to blame the others, David. I take full responsibility.

Rj: No. I do. It was my idea to let you behind. I should be the one to blame...

Susan: I agreed. So I am one to blame as well...

Zeon: Guys...

[From Screen]Morgan: There's only one thing left to do...I will be at the HQ in New York. Come once you reach Earth...Morgan out.

Rj: Another fucking great day...

"Some time later the team reaches their HQ in New York. They open the door"

Morgan: Hello guys...

Reyna: ...Hey.

Rj: If you don't mind, admiral. I prefer we discuss it all in the morning...

"As Rj passes the door, he notices some figures inside. It's neither Max nor Kate. He sees three men and a woman siting on the couch in the living room"

0