Chapter 48 – Operation Pluto
43 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

["Operation Pluto"]

"After about a month of minor skirmishes between the factions and a general stagnation of attacks, EUF's fleet is gathering over Neptune, getting ready to counter the Rexian attack on Pluto. Victus thinks that he found an opening and that it is finally the right time to strike at the weakend EUF positions. But the planet houses one of EUF's biggest bases. A huge complex of military buildings, factories and ship docks that are...lightly defended. Ghost Squad has gathered at ERS Independence, after about a day from the previous events. They seem ready for action. Max and Kate were also present. They tried to act like nothing happened, but one month without their team...is one month without their friends"

{Location: ERS Independence, Hangar Bay}

EUF Sergeant Major: So here is the deal. As we're speaking, the Rexian fleet is bombarding our forces in an attempt to weaken the base’s defenses before they send their ground troops. It is confirmed that the enemy is using mechanical infantry arriving via drop-pods. That means rapid attacks at any moment without fear for casualties. Your mission will be to descend into the planet to assist with fending off the enemy forces. You will be provided with X15-Arc Rounds. To put it simply, electrified bullets. Should "pack a punch" against the machines. I would also suggest bringing thermite canisters and EMP grenades. For...evening the odds. That’s all from me. We will jump in one hour. Squad leaders, follow me for your individual objectives assignment and detailed briefing.

Leonev: Reyna let’s go.

Reyna: What? I---

Rj: Just go Rey. You'll be okay.

Susan: Hey, look. Looks like our friends finally showed up. I'll go talk to them.

Rj: Hey, tell them I said hi. I'll go grab some ammo.

"Susan approached Max and Kate that were sitting next to a bomber"

Kate: How are you doing Su’?

Susan: Not much. What are you doing here all alone?

Max: Can’t stand these Darkstar guys. Casually strolling around like nothing is happening.

Susan: Hey. I don’t like it either. But we don’t have any other choice.

Kate: I don’t trust them.

Max: Yeah, well. We trusted the Admiral. So now we have to trust them as well, don't we?

Kate: Really? It's this again?

Max: Pretty much, yeah.

Kate: Have you got a problem Mr Cortez? Is that hussle because I didn't object? I told you, there was nothing we could do! Do you think I like being away from my friends?

Max: I'm just saying...there was no need to delay that much.

Kate: Yeah and you're blaming me now, right?

Max: Kate. Look, I---

Susan: Guys. We know that you knew. And that Morgan purposely left you both out of the "program". Just cooperate with them. And to be honest...none of us trusts them either. We just need to get along until Victus is dealt with. And for that, they will come in handy.

“Attention to all personnel. Winston base is under attack by ground forces. Warp jump commencing in 10 seconds”

Kate: Well that was fast.

Max: Alright guys. Brace yourselves.

Kate: I just hope they know what they're doing this time.

Susan: If it means taking down Victus...I'm glad they are on our side. And I'm also glad you guys came back to the team.

Kate: Well. Let's just say...“unofficially”, for now.

Max: Yeah. “Unofficially”.

"The fleet launched forward with the bigger ships going first for support and carrier ships followed at the back. A minute later the warp was complete and they reached their destination. The Independence was getting hammered by enemy guns. Soldiers were boarding the transports and pilots were preparing to take off. Susan could see Reyna and Leonev coming towards them trying not to lose their footing as the constant barrage was shaking the ship"

Reyna: God dammit, that's some good hits.

Leonev: Get in the transport. We will explain the plan as we descent into the atmosphere.

Gideon: If we even make it into the atmosphere you mean.

Rj: I like your confidence.

Leonev: Yeah well. Confidence was never his best suit...Firing guns was.

"As the hangar doors were opening the fighters and the bombers were flying into battle one after the other with the drop ships following them"

Pilot: Attention everyone. This is the pilot speaking. Thank you for flying with "United Front Airlines". Enjoy the flight and don’t die...Oh great. We have some fans on our tail. Hold on.

"The drop ships were trying to avoid enemy fire while their escorts were engaging their pursuers"

Reyna: Okay, listen up. We will land inside the base and assist with the defence. The central entrance is already lost and our forces have moved back, towards the centre.

Leonev: Okay guys. We will move to the central point and get in contact with the base commander. The rest of our forces will clear the perimeter and flank them.

Rj: That’s a lot of ground to cover.

Leonev: Lucky for you Mr. Frost, EUF has an army if you haven’t noticed. Better than fighting alone, eh? Yea I know. I am also surprised.

Rj: Smartass...

Kate: The irony.

Iren: Enough talk now. Brace up!

"After what looked like an eternity, the ships landed inside the base on what appeared to be a large landing pad. As soon as the ramps dropped the marines could see some soldiers running towards them. They immediately ran for cover behind the ships. The transports could neither move nor fire"

Soldier: ...GET BACK. RETREAT!

Gideon: Oh shit.

"A huge force of robots was slowly coming towards them"

Marine: We are sitting ducks here!

Marine Sergeant: Use the transports as cover! Throw everything you've got!

"More allied troops reached the landing pad. EUF reinforcements opened fire. Max came down. He approached one of the Soldiers that was there from before"

Max: What happened?

EUF Soldier: They dropped some big ones that teared us apart. Bigger and better than the normal robots. We didn't even have time to set up.

Reyna: Any other human infantry? Special forces maybe?

EUF Soldier: Negative.

Kate: Big ones...Do you mean these dudes?

"She pointed towards a couple tall robots with every part of their body being covered by armor and holding a machine gun in their right hand. A marine locked on to one of them with a launcher and fired. The robot raised his left hand and created a small blue energy field in front of him that slowed the rocket down causing it to drop harmlessly to the ground"

Leonev: Call the fleet. We need assistance.

Zeon: Negative. Our communications are being jammed.

Leonev: Of course they are.

"The enemy forces were slowly approaching and some robots appeared on the sides of the landing pad"

Rj: We need a plan. Any ideas Rey?

Reyna: Damn, I'm thinking. Wait. You said we can't use our comms?

Zeon: Indeed. Something is blocking the signal.

Reyna: Can you spot what or who is doing that?

Zeon: Affirmative. Scanning. That'll take a few minutes.

Susan: Don't mean to worry you buddy. But I doubt we have a few minutes! They're going to overrun us!

Kayle: Wait. I will help him.

Leonev: Good. The rest, cover them.

"About a minute had passed. EUF forces were holding the robots back with everything they had"

Kayle: Bingo!

Iren: What did you find?

Kayle: Looks like it's coming straight off behind those big ones, right there. You see them?

Reyna: Wait. These ones on the left?

Kayle: Yes, apparently their jammer bot is hiding behind them. Thing is, they've gotta be close to the action because their jammer is a mark 2, which means they have a very small radius.

Rj: Oh-oh. Looks like someone forgot to arm his metal scraps properly. I wonder who would that be.

Leonev: This man never cared about his troops. That's why he's sending so many along with ever more. And judging by the desperate push he's trying to pull off...I would say this is his last bet.

Susan: Alright. I can take it down if you distract them.

Leonev: You heard the woman. Covering fire!

"Suddenly everyone focuses their fire and all fire rapidly at the same time. Casualties are big on both sides already. Susan is taking advantage of the chaos and bravely rushes to take down the jammer bot. She takes out two pistols and shoots her way while dodging enemy fire, melee attacks and attempts to grab her. When she spots her target, she jumps over a robot and, while in mid-air, she aims for her objective. Susan pulls the trigger and scores a headshot into the machine, thus freeing the signal that was being jammed. She quickly smokes the place and runs for cover in a corner nearby while covering fire just won't stop. Meanwhile she's waiting for her allies to push so she can unite with the rest"

Kayle: We have a signal!

Iren: Quick, we need coordinates for the bombers!

Zeon: Roger that. Calculating.

Leonev: What are we waiting for? Send them in!

Reyna: Copy that! To all bombers, this is agent Reyna Frost. We need air support at these exact coordinates. 0114 - 6830, break. How copy over?

Bomber Squadron Commander: Roger that, we're on our way. Bombs in two. I repeat, bombs in two. Hold it Ghost Squad.

Max: You heard that, jewel? Our friends finally called.

Kate: Well then. Let's aid them!

"Eventually, the bombing runs start and the enemy is getting destroyed. Some bombs drop really close to allied position, but there's no friendly fire. After that, the enemy starts to retreat. But they have nowhere to retreat to. More reinforcements dropped and 'picked them up'. The complex is now secure. Everyone cheers with joy"

Rj: We've done it!

Reyna: Susan! Oh come here you!

Susan: Careful with the hugs!

Iren: Susan, what you did there was amazing.

Leonev: Indeed. You just ran into them like it's no one's business.

Susan: Yeah well. I did nothing special. Just what I had to.

Kayle: And this small opening was all we needed to call for air support. Thanks to you.

Gideon: To be honest...I didn't think we would survive that one. Too many robots. Nades did nothing...Rockets as well.

Reyna: Well...best thing they could've done was send us in the front to die and send more and more with each wave. But here we are. Living.

Rj: Yeah. Pretty much!

"Everyone boards the transports and return back to their ships in orbit. Some of the ships head to Neptune to repair, as the space stations around Pluto were damaged. ERS Independence is now waiting further orders. Pluto is now under EUF control and the council is preparing their next attack. The attack...on Rexus Prime. And this time, Victus will not go down without a fight. And there is no say what he has installed for the fleet"

0