Chapter 3 – Diagon Alley
77 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Some scenes from this point in the series onwards might be triggering to assault victims, so I'll put a * when the assault scene arrives and when it ends *

Harry and I made our way down Magnolia Crescent, panting with anger. 

We collapsed onto a garden wall. We chucked our trunks on the ground.

"What do we do now?" Harry huffed.

"Banter." I said.

"Okay."

We both caught our breath, lounging on the wall causally, not giving a fuck about private property and trespassing.

The park across the street that Dudley, Harry, the gang, and I hang out at, looked super creepy. It was night, so the shadows creeped across the asphalt. The swings swung back and forth slightly, and the seesaw tilted back gently. The roundabout circled around slowly. 

I clung to Harry. "Merlin Harry, the park's fucking haunted."

Harry patted my head awkwardly, drawing me closer to him. I was shaking slightly. What? I do believe in ghosts.

'I get the feeling something's behind us.' Harry suddenly sent to me.

I whipped around, driven by adrenaline. I sensed rather than heard it: someone or something was standing in the narrow gap between the garage and the fence behind us. I squinted at the black alleyway. 

"Lumos." I muttered, and a light appeared at the end of my wand. I held it high over my head, and I saw the hulking outline of something very big, with wide, gleaming eyes.

Harry and I stepped backwards simultaneously. Our legs hit our trunks and we tripped, also simultaneously. My wand flew out of my hand as I flung out my arm to break my fall.

A loud bang sounded, and Harry and I rolled out of the way of a large purple bus that appeared suddenly out of nowhere.

A conductor in a purple uniform leapt out of the bus and began to speak loudly to the night.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve-"

He stopped abruptly. He had spotted Harry and I on the ground. I snatched up my wand and we scrambled to our feet. 

"What were you two doin' down there?" Stan said, dropping his professional manner.

"Fell over." My twin and I chorused.

"'Choo fall over for?" Stan sniggered.

"I did it for the lulz, what about you, Harry -?" Harry nodded.

He turned quickly to stare at the alleyway. I turned too. But there was nothing there.

"'Choo lookin' at?" Stan said.

"There was a big black thing." I said.

"Like a dog...but massive..." Harry said, pointing uncertainly into the gap.

"Told you, Harry. This place is haunted." I hissed.

"Woss that on your 'ead?" Stan said abruptly.

"Nothing." We chorused. If the Ministry was looking for us for blowing up our aunt, we didn't want to make it too easy for them.

"Woss your names?" Stan persisted.

"Amy Rolfing." I said as Harry said, "Neville Longbottom."

'First thing that came to mind.' We sent to each other simultaneously.

Stan led us on to the bus. We were zooming along, then suddenly jumping a hundred miles or so to another location. It was awesome. 

Stan handed us a newspaper. Harry and I read about an imprisoned man who had escaped from Azkaban called Sirius Black.

They took us to the Leaky Cauldron.

"Thanks." Harry said to Stan.

"Bye!" I called.

But Stan was goggling at the entrance to the Leaky Cauldron.

"THERE you are, Daisy, Harry." A voice said.

"What didja call Amy and Neville, Minister?" Stan said excitedly.

We'd walked right into the Minister of Magic.

"Amy and Neville?" Fudge repeated, frowning. "This is Daisy and Harry Potter."

"I knew it!" Stan shouted gleefully.

Fudge lead us into a private parlour, and us three sat down. 

"Well, you two, you've had us in a right flap, I don't mind telling you. Running away from your aunt and uncle's house like that! I'd started to think...but you're safe, and that's what matters..."

Fudge buttered himself a crumpet and pushed the plate towards us.

"Eat, twins, you both look dead on your feet. Now then...you will be pleased to hear that we have dealt with the unfortunate blowing-up of Miss Marjorie Dursley. Two members of the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad were dispatched to Privet Drive a few hours ago. Miss Dursley has been punctured and her memory has been modified. She has no recollection of the incident at all. So that's that, and no harm done."

Fudge smiled at us over the rim of his teacup, rather like an uncle surveying a favourite niece and nephew.

We chatted for a bit longer, then he went out to find a spare room, then came back. 

"Room Twenty-One's free, you two." Fudge said. (I said, "What's nine plus ten?" And Harry said, "Twenny one!") "I think you'll be very comfortable. Just one thing, and I'm sure you'll understand. I don't want you wandering off into Muggle London, all right? Keep to Diagon Alley. And you're to be back here before dark each night. Sure you'll understand. Tom will be keeping an eye on you for me."

I winked at Harry. Now that Fudge has set rules, I'm going to break them both.

He rolled his eyes, grinning.

Tom the barman lead us to room Twenty-One.

There were two twin beds there as well as our trunks, Hedwig, and Snidget.

Harry and I grinned at each other, then dived on the beds, bouncing on them.

~~~

It was bloody brilliant. Harry and I explored Diagon Alley. We went to Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour, where Florean gave us free sundaes every half hour and helped us with our essays.

At Quality Quidditch Supplies, a new broom called the Firebolt was just in. It was MAGNIFICENT.

"Just come out...prototype..." A square-jawed wizard was telling his companion.

"It's the fastest broom in the world, isn't it, Dad?" Squeaked a boy younger than us, who was swinging off his father's arm.

"Irish International Side's just put in an order for seven of these beauties!" The proprietor of the shop told the crowd. "And they're favourites for the World Cup!"

We returned every day to look at the beautiful broom. But we didn't like to think about how much it would cost.

When we visited the book store, we saw a book called, 'Death Omens: What to do When You Know the Worst Is Coming'. It had a picture of a black dog large as a bear; it looked oddly familiar...

A week later, the Weasley's, Hermione, Lee, and Terry arrived at the Leaky Cauldron.

Harry had went off with Ron and Hermione, and I was trying to find the others, as they were all spread around Diagon Alley.

Then I spotted them. Fred, George, Terry, and Lee were heading down the street, and we ran towards each other Hollywood style when we saw each other.

Terry was the first to reach me. He picked me up and whirled me around, fitting his mouth to mine. We kinda got into it. Lee had to tap us on the shoulders to get us apart.

I saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the background, Harry looking pissed, Ron cackling, and Hermione giggling.

I high-fived Lee, then Fred and George group-hugged with me. We all wandered down the street together, buying shit for our pranks. I showed them the Firebolt, gushing about how awesome it was. Terry said he was signing up to try out for the Ravenclaw team this year.

Hermione bought an ugly ginger cat called Crookshanks which Ron hates.

I also bought a baby snake, which I named 'Banter', because why not if you can speak to them?

When we got back to the Leaky Cauldron, Percy and Mrs Weasley arrived at the same time. Percy held out his hand solemnly as though we had never met before (probably because of his new badge) and said, "Daisy. How nice to see you."

"S'up?" I said, sniggering.

"I hope you're well?" Percy said pompously, shaking hands. It was rather like being introduced to the mayor.

"Oh yes, fabulous!"

"Softpaw!" Fred said, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. "Simply SPLENDID to see you, old girl -"

"Marvellous." George said, pushing Fred aside and seizing my hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing."

Percy scowled.

"That's enough, now." Mrs Weasley said.

"Mum!" Fred said, as though he'd only just spotted her, and seized her hand, too. "How really corking to see you -"

"I said, that's enough." Mrs Weasley said, depositing her shopping in an empty chair. "Hello, Daisy, dear. I suppose you've heard our exciting news?" She pointed at the brand-new silver badge on Percy's chest. "Second Head Boy in the family!" She said, swelling with pride.

"And last." Fred muttered under his breath.

"I don't doubt that." Mrs Weasley said, frowning suddenly. "I notice they haven't made you two Prefects."

"What do we want to be Prefects for?" George said, looking revolted at the very idea. I don't blame him.

"It'd take all the fun out of life!" I added.

Percy disappeared upstairs.

"We tried to shut him in a pyramid." George told me.

"But Mum spotted us." Fred sighed.

~~~

I left the Leaky Cauldron into the Muggle world that night, sneaking so that Tom wouldn't see me, breaking both of Fudge's rules at once.

I set off into Muggle London, heading for the Thames. 

I became aware that someone was following me, and I whipped around.

Whoever it was quickly stepped into a dark alleyway. I suspiciously followed them.

Someone grabbed me around my waist and put a hand over my mouth, dragging me further into the alleyway - but gently. I shrieked, but it came out muffled, and I tried to bite the person's hand, but they angled it so that I couldn't.

The person held me against them as two others pounced on me.

"Gang attack!" One of them whispered, and the other burst out laughing.

I reached up and wrenched the person's hand off me.

"Guys, that's not funny." I sighed at them. "You're not funny. You may think you are, but you're not."

They ignored me and continued laughing.

"Boys will be boys." I scowled at Fred, George, and Terry. "You're all idiots."

We wandered out of the alleyway, then still laughing, and me muttering, "Brats."

We found the London Eye and went up in one of the pods. We got to the very top and stopped. We pretended to push each other out, then I had an idea. Payback for that little 'joke' of theirs.

I grabbed them all and threw us out of the pod. They were all screaming as I slowed down time, made us invisible (I had been practising that, but could only do it when twisting time) and we landed softly on the ground.

"Wusses." I told them, sniggering.

"So not funny, Softpaw!" Fred wailed.

"Karma, bitches!"

---

I sneaked out again the next night, and that was the disastrous night.

*I was wandering down a backstreet, when this bunch of guys started whistling and shouting out sexual comments. 

"I'd fuck the shit out of that!" One called. I heard a growl and someone who was passing them too started hissing threatening things at them. I didn't see who it was, I just hurried past incase they followed me.

I was walking past a different alley, when someone again dragged me into it.

Someone who looked much older, and much bigger than me. It looked like that guy who called out THAT comment.

He smiled creepily down at me. I opened my mouth to shout for help, but he covered it. He pushed me against the wall and started feeling me up. He roughly kissed me, as I squirmed to get away. I pushed against him, trying to kick him where the sun doesn't shine, but he started trying to take off my clothes, unaffected.

He tugged off my blouse and threw it to the ground. I gasped as he threw my topless (but I still had my bra on, thank goodness) body against the cold, hard wall.

I felt the tears running down my cheeks as I successfully kicked him where I wanted to. He yelled, and I scarpered. But he lunged for me, taking out a small knife from his pocket and holding it to my neck.

"Cooperate, girly." He said roughly.

I hung there limply, as there was nothing I could do. 

'You know what?' I thought to myself as he tried to tug down my trousers. 'Fuck him and his knife. They can go straight to Hell.'

I kicked him there again, but this time he didn't let go of me. He pressed the knife against my neck harder, staring into my eyes with his cold, menacing ones, and I felt the blood trickling down from my neck.*

He was suddenly wrenched off of me and thrown to the ground. Two red-headed boys held him down while a painfully familiar brown-haired one held me up.

"It's okay, it's okay." Terry soothed, rubbing my back, as I melted into him, sobbing. Still holding me up, he bent down to grab my shirt and threw it over my head. 

"Did he hurt you, Softpaw?" Fred asked, a dangerous glint in his eye as he looked furiously down at the man.

"Y-yeah..." I showed him the cut running along my neck, hiccoughing.

Fred and George's faces twisted in fury, and they went for him, growling in anger.

Terry also had a furious glint in his eye, but he lead me away from the two boys who were beating up the man without magic (which was something new). 

"Is it deep?" He muttered to himself, gently looking at my cut. He tore off a bit of his shirt and pressed it to my neck.

The entire nights events caught up to me - being assaulted, being cut in the neck by a creepy-ass stranger - and my knees buckled. Terry swept me up.

"Thanks, Hopper..." I whispered, before the world went black.

~~~

I woke up on my bed in the Leaky Cauldron. Harry, Terry (who was holding my hand), Fred, George, Ron, Hermione, Lee, and Ginny were sitting around it, hissing to each other. 

Harry, who was holding my other hand, looked absolutely furious. Ron looked really pissed off. Hermione looked stunned and concerned. Ginny was angrily gritting her teeth, and Lee was clenching his fists and shooting me worried looks.

"Oh hey, you're finally awake." Lee noticed.

"Yeah." I smiled weakly at them, the world spinning.

Everyone tried immediately to hide their furious faces and put on concerned ones instead. 

"Your bandage needs changed." Harry noted, and he took off the bandage on my neck and replaced it.

~~~

Later that evening, when I had told everyone exactly what happened - to which Harry stormed off to our room to let off steam - I felt a pain DOWN THERE - even though the man didn't touch me there.

I went to the toilet and sat in a cubicle. I took off my pants and looked down at the red stain on my knickers.

Oh shit...

When I started freaking out, Mrs Weasley knocked the door.

"Are you alright in there, Daisy, dear?" She said. "You've been quite some time..."

"N-no!" I squeaked.

Mrs Weasley burst in looking alarmed, then she saw me looking down at my pants in horror.

"Oh dear, that's nothing to worry about, Daisy!" Mrs Weasley smiled. "Your period's due, that's all."

"Oh, dear lord..." I went pink.

I heard Fred, George, and Lee cackling in the corridor outside. Godric damn it, they heard us...

Mrs Weasley went outside and shooed them away, then came back in and kindly explained to me exactly what was going on.

She's beginning to become like my second mother, I swear.

~~~

"How're we getting to King's Cross tomorrow, Dad?" Fred asked as we all sat down in the parlour.

"The Ministry's providing a couple of cars." Mr Weasley said.

Everyone looked up at him.

"Why?" Percy said curiously.

"It's because of you, Perce." George said seriously. "And there'll be little flags on the bonnets, with HB on them -"

"- For Humungous Bighead." Fred said.

Everyone except Percy and Mrs Weasley snorted into their pudding.

That night, there was an argument in number Twenty-Two. It was Ron and Percy's room.

"It was HERE, on the bedside table, I took it off for polishing -" Percy was shouting.

OH. He was shouting about his badge going missing. Well, it wasn't Fred, George, and I or anything...

"I haven't touched it, all right?" Ron roared.

"What's up?" Harry said, barging into their room like he owned the place, while I sniggered in the background.

"My Head Boy badge has gone!" Percy said, rounding on Harry.

"So's Scabber's Rat Tonic." Ron said, throwing things out of his trunk to look. "I think I might've left it in the bar -" 

"You're not going anywhere till you've found my badge!" Percy yelled.

"We'll get Scabber's stuff -" I began.

"- We've packed." Harry finished.

We sneaked past the parlour, and we couldn't help but overhear Mr and Mrs Weasley arguing over whether they should tell us that Sirius Black wants to fucking murder us. Seriously?!

Apparently Black had been saying this in his sleep at Azkaban like, "He's at Hogwarts..." and Fudge had said that he might have heard him say, "She's at Hogwarts..." too. I think he's imagining it. Paranoid.

We found Ron's Rat Tonic and went back up to the landing. 

Fred and George were crouching in the shadows, heaving with laughter as they listened to Percy dismantling his and Ron's room in the search for his badge.

"They've got it." I told Harry, grinning.

"We've been improving it." Fred whispered to us.

The badge now read 'Bighead Boy'.

I laughed, while Harry forced one, gave Ron his tonic, then went into our room. We lay on our beds, facing each other. We discussed what we had heard in our eye messages. 

'How can you be fine with all this? You look like you're leading a normal life, but you've really just been assaulted, you're having your first period -' seriously, the twins told everyone?! '-and now we're going to get murdered, and you're acting like nothing's going on?' Harry sent.

The truth was, on top of being assaulted and having my period, we have to deal with a mass murderer as well? I was freaking out in my head.

"We're NOT going to be murdered." I said out loud.

"That's the spirit, dear." Our mirror said sleepily.

Wait...wtf?!

2