Chapter 23 – Captured
90 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The party continued long after we woke up in the Great Hall. We had candyfloss and Nutella toast for breakfast, and then we flowed out onto the lawns outside the castle, out into the sun, the heat encouraging us to wear school shorts and skirts instead of the usual school trousers, unbutton and untuck our shirts, and shrug off our school cloaks, using them as picnic rugs instead. 

The whole squad partied until the sun went down again, and the older students set up stalls along the lawn. Some were sweet stands, some were barbecuing mouth-wateringly good-smelling meat. Fresh lemonade stands stood beside stands selling mini fans and game stands, like what you would find at a carnival. 

Music was blasting, and we were all having the time of our lives. We were currently chowing down on burgers and hot dogs, cups of cool lemonade beside each of us, and the twins' arms were slung around me. 

"You liking magic, Dudders?" I asked, taking a bite out of my hot dog. 

"LOVING it." Dudley said happily as he finished off his burger, reaching for another off the plate in the middle. "This place is so cool. I wish I could come here." 

"I wish you could too. This place would be extra bants with you here." I told him. Harry nodded. 

"Sorry for the toffee, Dudley." Fred grinned at him. Dudley eyed him with a smile twitching at the corners of his mouth. 

"S'alright." Dudley said casually. "It was funny once my parents stopped freaking out. That was a week after you'd left, by the way." 

The twins and I snickered. 

~~~ 

Soon, it was sunset yet again. The whole school watched as the sun went down together, the mass of whispering and quiet giggles floating over the crowd like a blanket. Despite the rapidly approaching darkness, it was still quite warm. 

I looked around at all my friends, all of us gathered together in a little group near the Lake. Me, lounging on my cloak, my tenth lemonade beside me. Harry, nudging Ron and grinning at whatever they were talking about. Ron, rolling his eyes and laughing. Terry, snickering to Draco, before leaning in and kissing him. Draco, pulling slowly away from the kiss and beaming. George, whispering something to Fred, and Fred, slapping George on the arm, sniggering. Dudley, chatting to Suzanne and Hermione, munching on a large packet of crisps, Suzanne replying before sticking her face in a huge candyfloss, Hermione picking a fluff of said-candyfloss off of Suzanne's nose, giggling. Amy, grinning and throwing her arm around Shannon, as the Slytherin girl blushed. Cedric, who had joined us, his arm slung around my shoulders, lounging beside me as he watched the sunset. Our other friends, all gathered beside our group, all chattering amongst themselves - Colin, Louis, Lewis, Kurt, Seamus, Dean, Katie, Leanne, and Ginny. 

I've never felt this happy. 

But of course, like all good things, it only lasted for so long. 

"Hey, Weakling!" Floppy shouted from behind a tree, closer to the Lake. I rolled my eyes. 

"What do you want, fuckface?" I yelled back. A low chorus of "Oooh"s and giggles rose from the crowd. 

"Come and find out." He muttered darkly, but it carried across the wind-less night air. I rolled my eyes again, getting to my feet. 

"I'll come and kick your pasty ass, more like." I said loudly, picking my way across my classmates towards him. More "Oooh"s rose around me, and Harry, the twins, Terry, Amy, and Cedric hurried along behind me. 

"Daisy, don't - he's going to push you in the lake or something -" Amy hissed. 

"I'll drown him if he does." Harry said matter-of-factly. 

"I'm coming to watch this epic showdown." Cedric grinned, and Terry high-fived him. 

I reached Floppy at last, and drew my wand out. Floppy simply grinned, tossing Amy's eagle into the air above my head via his wand. 

"Catch!" He cackled. 

What the fuck? How did he get that? That stupid fucking asshole - 

Surprised, and out of pure Seeker reflex, I reached my hand out for it. At the last second, Floppy lurched forwards, and we both grabbed it at the same time; Amy's hand was also in the mix, as she had also reached out for it; I felt a jerk behind my navel, and I felt several pairs of hands grab onto my shirt as the lawns disappeared in a mix of swirling colours. 

We landed on another lawn; a well-trimmed lawn in front of a manor similar to Draco's. My heart started pounding; I let go of the eagle, scrambling to my feet. 

The others were getting to their feet beside me, groaning and muttering. I stared around me. Hedges and plain bushes were dotted around us, and several benches and sundials surrounded us. A stream of people were hurrying down the steps of the manor, and leading them was -

Oh fuck. 

Tom Riddle. 

I whirled around to Floppy and the others. 

"What the hell did you do?!" I yelled at the bastard as he smirked at me. Harry was clutching his scar, wincing, and I noticed mine was burning dully as well. Terry, Fred and George were frozen to the spot, faces pale. Amy and Cedric were backing up, their eyes fixated on the seemingly-teenage boy with red eyes heading straight for us. 

"So lovely to see you again, Daisy." 

A cold, chilling voice spoke behind me, and I turned to face him. Riddle was smirking at me, his eyes gleaming with evil. 

"We'll have a talk inside the manor. It is rather cold out here, don't you think?" 

Riddle gestured towards what I assume was Floppy's manor. I stared him down, my heart pounding. 

"Someone restrain Miss Potter's friends here and take them to the cellar." Riddle said. A few people, Death Eaters I assume, stepped forward, but Amy also stepped forward, her chin up in defiance. 

"You're not touching us. How about you fuck off?" Amy said, her eyes glinting. 

"Amy, no -" I said, my voice high-pitched, just as -

"Avada Kedavra!" 

A jet of green light shot from Riddle's wand and hit my Ravenclaw friend. As if in slow motion, Amy fell, hitting the ground behind her. Her blue eyes stared, empty and lifeless, into the darkening sky above. 

I stood in shock. My mouth was hanging open. I stared at the lifeless body of my friend. She's... she's dead. He killed her. He... KILLED her. I could hear the others behind me, their panicked voices echoing through the gardens. 

"You EVIL fucking -" I turned, choking on my words as I turned my disbelieving gaze to Riddle, my hand outstretching, but before I could do anything, Riddle had cried, "Stupefy!" 

And everything went black. 

~~~

I woke up to dried tears on my cheeks and rope around my wrists. 

"What the fuck?" I rose my head, my neck aching. I was tied to a chair; Riddle was in front of me, and Floppy and the Death Eaters were surrounding us, watching from a distance. Floppy smirked at me again, and I managed to find the energy to manoeuvre my tied wrists around the chair slightly to flip him off. 

"Now, see here, Daisy." Riddle crouched in front of my chair. His red eyes gleamed at me, his mouth lifted in a small smirk, as if he thought this was a fun game. Dickhead. "I'm going to need your grace. And you're going to give it to me. All right?" 

"Fuck off." I spat at him. Riddle rose to his feet again, twirling his wand in his fingers, the smirk gone. 

"Have it your way." 

And seconds later, I was screaming under the Cruciatus Curse. White-hot pain was coursing through me, setting every nerve on fire. I thrashed against the ropes restraining me, screaming out for someone, anyone to help me. 

"Daisy! DAISY!" 

"SOFTPAW! SOFTPAW! SOFTPAW!" 

"DAISY!" 

"SOFTPAW!"

My brother and my friends were yelling hoarsely from somewhere beneath us. I slumped back in my chair as Riddle let me take a breather. 

"That wasn't nice, was it, Daisy?" Riddle twirled his wand again. "That didn't feel very good. You don't want to feel like that again, do you?" 

"You're an evil fucking piece of shit." I told him firmly. 

"Crucio!" 

I yelled and screamed in pain for what felt like forever. Riddle was relentless with the torture, intent on getting my powers from me. But I wasn't giving them up willingly. 

The yells from downstairs stopped halfway through the torture, and I was momentarily relieved. At least I don't have to think about my brother and my best friends so in pain listening to me getting tortured. 

"Going to listen to reason now, Daisy?" Riddle crouched down beside me. I slumped back in the chair, panting. 

"Hey, asshole!" 

Riddle got up quickly, turning to the source of the yell. My twin was standing in the doorway, wand out. Riddle raised his wand, opening his mouth, crying, "Avada -"

"NOT MY BROTHER, YOU TWAT!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. A pure white glow shone from me, melting the ropes off me, and the Death Eaters fell back against the walls, Riddle blasted back by a white glare. He stumbled, nearly falling into Floppy, and Harry ran forward, taking my hand. We sprinted out of the room, joining Fred, George, Terry, and Cedric in the hall, and we all sprinted out the double doors and down the stone steps together. 

My body was still shining with white light, and I was obviously visible as we moved through the gardens. Riddle and the Death Eaters were pursuing us down the steps, and I knew that I had to confront them on my own. 

"They can see me. I'll deal with this. You guys hide until I figure out what to do." I told them, but Harry shook his head.

"You saved my ass. I'm not going to leave yours." 

"You HAVE to." I protested, shoving Harry behind a bush. "PLEASE!" 

Harry opened his mouth. I shone a brighter white, and I saw my reflection in his eyes - my eyes were pure white now. No green or black to be seen. Just white. 

"Do. What. I. Say." I said. My voice was different, somehow - similar to how Gabriel had spoken in Malfoy Manor - with an ethereal tone to it. 

Harry backed away and crouched behind the bush. The others joined him, crouching low, their wands drawn and pointed straight at Riddle. 

"Softpaw, be careful, please!" Fred hissed to me in pure terror, his features twisted in fear and anxiety. Is he... scared for me? 

I turned. Riddle was advancing. I stepped out from behind the bush. 

Riddle was ready. As he cried, "CRUCIO," I thrust my hand out, screaming. 

A jet of red light issued from Riddle's wand just as a jet of white light blasted from my hand - they met in mid-air - and suddenly, my hand was vibrating as though an electric charge was surging through it; my hand had seized up; I couldn't move it if I'd wanted to - and a narrow beam of light was now connecting Riddle's wand and my hand, neither white nor red, but bright, deep gold - and I, following the beam with my astonished gaze, saw that Riddle's long white fingers were gripping a wand that was shaking and vibrating like my hand. 

And then I felt my feet lift from the ground. Riddle and I were both being raised into the air, his wand and my hand still connected by that thread of shimmering golden light. We were gliding away from the bushes and benches, and then came to rest on a patch of ground that was clear. The Death Eaters and Floppy were shouting, they were asking Riddle for instructions; they were closing in, some of them drawing their wands -

The golden thread connecting me and Riddle splintered; though we remained connected, a thousand more offshoots arced high over us, crisscrossing all around us, until we were enclosed in a golden, dome-shaped web, a cage of light, beyond which the Death Eaters circled like jackals, their cries strangely muffled now... 

I spotted Harry, Fred, George, Terry, and Cedric's pale faces watching in awe and fear from behind their bush. It only made me concentrate harder. 

"Do nothing!" Riddle shrieked to the Death Eaters, and I saw his red eyes wide with astonishment at what was happening, saw him fighting to break the thread of light still connecting his wand with me. I concentrated hard, and the golden thread remained unbroken. "Do nothing unless I command you!" Riddle shouted to the Death Eaters. 

It was as though large beads of light were sliding up and down the thread - I felt my hand shudder as the light beads began to slide slowly and steadily my way... the direction of the beam's movement was now towards me, from Riddle, and I felt my hand shudder angrily... 

As the nearest bead of light moved nearer to my hand, I grew steadily hotter. I somehow knew that if that bead connected with my hand, I might burst into flames. I concentrated every last particle of my mind upon forcing the bead backwards towards Riddle, my eyes furious, fixated... and slowly, very slowly, the beads quivered to a halt, and then, just as slowly, they began to move the other way... and Riddle's wand was vibrating extra hard now... Riddle looked astonished, and almost fearful... 

One of the beads of light was quivering, inches from the tip of Riddle's wand, and slowly, very slowly, it moved along the golden thread... it trembled for a moment... and then it connected... 

At once, Riddle's wand began to emit echoing screams of pain... then - his red eyes widened with shock - something large began to blossom from his wand tip, a great, greyish something that looked as though it was made of the solidest, densest smoke... it was a head... now a chest and arms... the torso of Amy Rolfing. 

If ever I might have released the connection from shock, it would have been then, but instinct kept my hand thrust out, so that the thread of golden light remained unbroken, even though the thick grey ghost of Amy (WAS it a ghost? It looked so solid) emerged in it's entirety from the end of Riddle's wand, as though it was squeezing itself out of a very narrow tunnel... and this shade of Amy stood up, and looked up and down the golden thread of light, and spoke. 

"Hold on, Daze." It said. "Don't let go, now! Don't let him get you, Daze - don't let go." 

Its voice was distant and echoing. I looked at Riddle... his wide, red eyes were still shocked... he had no more expected this than I had... and, very dimly, I heard the frightened yells of the Death Eaters, prowling around the edges of the golden dome...

More screams of pain from the wand... and then something else emerged from its tip... the dense shadow of a second head, quickly followed by arms and torso... an old man I had once seen in a dream was now pushing himself out of the end of the wand just as Amy had done... and his ghost, or his shadow, or whatever it was, fell next to Amy's, and surveyed me and Riddle, the golden web, and the connection with mild surprise, leaning on his walking stick... 

"He was a real wizard, then?" The old man said, his eyes on Riddle. "Killed me, that one did... you fight him, kid..." 

The two shadowy figures began to pace around the inner walls of the golden web, while the Death Eaters flitted around the outside of it... and Riddle's dead victims whispered as they circled us duellers, whispered words of encouragement to me, and hissed words I couldn't hear to Riddle. 

And now another head was emerging from the tip of Riddle's wand... and I knew when I saw it who it would be... I knew, as though I had expected it from the moment Amy had appeared from the wand... knew, because the woman appearing was the one I'd thought of more than any other... 

The smoky shadow of a young woman with long hair fell to the ground as the others had done, straightened up, and looked at me... and I, my arm shaking madly now, looked back into the ghostly face of my mother. 

"Your father's coming..." She said quietly. "He wants to see you... it will be alright... hold on..." 

And he came... first his head, then his body... untidy-haired like me and Harry, and tall, the smoky, shadowy form of James Potter blossomed from the end of Riddle's wand, fell to the ground, and straightened like his wife. He walked close to me, looking down at me, and he spoke in the same distant, echoing voice as the others, but quietly, so that Riddle, his face now livid with fear as his victims prowled around him, could not hear... 

"When the connection is broken, we will linger for only moments... but we will give you time... you must get to the Portkey, it will return you to Hogwarts... do you understand, Daisy?" 

"Yes!" I gasped; fighting now to keep a hold on the connection. 

"Daze..." The figure of Amy whispered. "Take my body back, will you? Take my body back to my parents..." 

"I will." I said, my face screwed up with the effort of holding on, and the grief that was working its way into my heart. "I promise, Ames. I promise." 

"Do it now." My father's voice whispered. "Be ready to run... do it now..." 

"NOW!" I yelled; I didn't think I could have held on for another moment anyway - I pulled my hand upwards with an almighty wrench, and the golden thread broke; the cage of light vanished, but the shadowy figures of Riddle's victims did not disappear - they were closing in upon him, shielding me from his gaze - 

And I ran as I had never ran in my life, knocking two stunned Death Eaters aside as I passed; I zig-zagged behind bushes and sun-dials, feeling their curses following me, hearing them hit the sun-dials and benches - I was dodging curses and benches, pelting towards Amy's body, no longer aware of the pain in my shoulder, where Riddle had hit me with the Cruciatus Curse the most, my whole being concentrated on what I had to do -

"STUN HER!" I heard Riddle scream. 

Ten feet from Amy, I dived behind a marble angel to avoid the jets of red light and saw the tip of its wing shatter as the spells hit it. The others joined me from their bush, surrounding me, crouching and shaking. I reached out, and, gripping Harry's hand tightly, I dashed out from behind the angel -

"IMPEDIMENTA!" I bellowed, pointing my wand wildly over my shoulder at the Death Eaters running at us. 

From a muffled yell, I thought I had stopped at least one of them, but there was no time to turn and look; I jumped over the bench, the others hot on my heels, and dived as I heard more wand blasts behind me; more jets of light flew over our heads as we fell, stretching out my hand to grab Amy's arm - 

"Stand aside! I will re-capture her! She is mine!" Riddle shrieked. 

My hand had closed on Amy's wrist, but Amy was too heavy to carry, and the eagle was out of reach - 

Riddle's red eyes flamed in the darkness. I saw his mouth curl into a smile, saw him raise his wand -

"Accio!" Cedric yelled. We all reached out at the same time - 

I heard Riddle's scream of fury at the same moment as I felt the jerk behind my navel that meant the Portkey had worked - it was speeding us away in a whirl of wind and colour, Amy along with us... we were going back... 

I felt myself slam flat into the ground; my face was pressed into grass; the smell of it filled my nostrils. I had closed my eyes while the Portkey transported us, and I kept them closed now. I did not move. All the breath seemed to have been knocked out of me; my head was swimming so badly I felt as though the ground beneath me was swaying like the deck of a ship. To hold myself steady, I tightened my hold on the two things I was still clutching - the eagle, and Amy's hand. I felt as though I would slide away into the blackness gathering at the edges of my brain if I let go of either of them. Shock and exhaustion kept me on the ground, breathing in the smell of the grass, waiting... waiting for someone to do something... something to happen... and all the while, my scar burnt fully on my forehead... 

A torrent of sound deafened and confused me, there were voices everywhere, footsteps, screams... I remained where I was, my face screwed up against the noise, as though it was a nightmare that would pass... 

Then a pair of hands seized me roughly and turned me over. 

"Daisy! DAISY!" 

I opened my eyes. I was looking up at the starry sky, and Albus Dumbledore was crouched over me. The dark shadows of a crowd of people pressed in around me, pushing nearer; I felt the ground beneath my head reverberating with their footsteps. 

I had come back to the lawns outside the castle. I could see the lake, the shapes of people moving around me, the stars above. 

I moved my hand to my pocket, letting go of the eagle into it, but I clutched Amy to me even more tightly. I raised my free hand and seized Dumbledore's wrist, while his face swam in and out of focus. 

"He's back." I whispered. "Voldemort's back for real this time. He has plans. He has plans, sir..." 

"What's going on? Are they all alright?" 

The face of Cornelius Fudge appeared upside-down over me; it looked white, appalled. 

"My God - Rolfing!" It whispered. "Dumbledore - she's dead!" 

The words were repeated, the shadowy figures pressing in on us gasped it to those around us... and then others shouted it - screeched it - into the night - "She's dead!" "She's DEAD!" "Amy Rolfing! DEAD!" 

"Daisy, dear, let go of her." I heard Fudge's voice say, and I felt fingers trying to prise me from Amy's limp body, but I wouldn't let her go. 

Then Dumbledore's face, which was still blurred and misted, came closer. "Daisy, you can't help her now. It's over. Let go." 

"She wanted me to bring her back." I muttered - it seemed important to explain this. "She wanted me to bring her back to her parents..." 

"That's right, Daisy... just let go, now..." 

"I... I can't..." I sobbed, hot tears running down my cheeks now. 

Dumbledore bent down and, with extraordinary strength for a man so old and thin, raised me from the ground, and set me on my feet. I swayed. My head was pounding. My legs would no longer support my weight. The crowd around us jostled, fighting to get closer, pressing darkly in on me - "What's happened?" "What's wrong with her?" "ROLFING'S DEAD!" 

"She'll need to go to the hospital wing!" Fudge was saying loudly. "She's ill, she's injured - Dumbledore, Miss Rolfing's parents, they're here, they're in the office -"

I noticed Dudley, crying onto Parvati Patil's shoulder. The surprise of this odd view failed to register within me, and I just trodded towards them, poking my cousin's arm. Dudley turned, tears streaming down his face, and immediately his face lit up, throwing his arms around me. 

"Oh, Daisy, I thought you were DEAD -" 

I remained silent, very overwhelmed. Everything was catching up to me. I heard Fred's voice, saw him fighting his way through the crowd towards me, reaching out for me - 

But everything went black for the second time.

Did you expect me to kill Amy?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
0