Chapter 5: Politics
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Due to the death of the Elven kings, by an untimely assassination by the “hero”. All the nobles, and the Royal family began drawing up contingency plans to deal with a probable war with Jurusili. Also because of the fall of the Macedonian Empire, they don’t have to worry about demon raids on convoys, but have to worry about a possible invasion by the Buryats if the Government did something stupid like say if they kill an envoy from lord Chinggis Khan.

But that wasn’t the goal of the meeting as stated before, it was to cause possible hostilities to die down before they start to form. So here I was just standing on guard in the room as I was the only guard allowed in because I was the Princess’s spirit and she could just gag me anytime she wanted.

Well that was the plan till the king asked “what are your thoughts on this situation Mr. James?”

“Wait about like the plan against a possible invasion from the Kingdom of Jurursili?” I ask.

“No, about the assassination of King Jurusili. Everything seems odd right?” He said.

“I don't know where you're getting to?” I stepped toward the table where all the nobles were standing around and looked at all the information gathered. I’ve been learning this country's written language for some time. It is eerily similar to modern day latin, he remembered learning some latin from his highschool years which mind you were complete and utter hell because the FBI was consistently waiting for an excuse to shoot me in the back of the head, or get me in high level security prison so  I don’t go on a murder spree like my father did, till I decided to join the military which they promptly got off my ass, when it showed that I am a sane human being.

After looking over documents and asking some questions about the words here, I got a good idea of what they're planning on doing, getting on the good side of the Elven Kingdom because of superior magic quality, and metallurgy, also they don’t know what Prince William the XVII is planning. Hell all we know they could be preparing forces, as the Kingdoms rarely marry their royal families together, the last time that happened was around 200 hundred years ago, when the kingdoms first gained their independence from the Imperium, and wanted to pursue a policy of neutrality, and by doing that they married the second daughter of King Victor the I because he had so many daughters they could afford it, but things are different, now with the king only having two heir to choose from they won’t be able to afford it, and magically capable princess’s are better suited to inheriting the thats why Victoria is the first in line and not her brother, who isn’t magically capable.

The way they’re gonna get on their good side by giving gifts and laxing taxes on Elven traders. Not only that they hopefully discuss an alliance. Since they already have a non-aggression pact, but that isn’t just that. It is already tradition but circumstances are are different most leaders die from either illnesses related to old age and because of Elven long mortality a elven king might just meet around 3 kings for Alaxendria and the human king might meet the same king that his father met, not once during Jurusili’s current history of independence did a king get assassinated, this is why the government is panicking, and rushing to get on the good side of the new king, cause there's a faction that want unification with the Presian empire, and wants to provoke a war with Jurusili so they can give the go ahead for Presia to invade and they will get the throne as lord over the newly conquered lands for Presia as they know the most about these lands, and decrease restlessness to minimum to allow what they call the curse of loyalty to run through the streams that go through the Kingdom, to brainwash the peasantry.

“I think it could work. I myself don’t know if it could work as they’re to many variables.” I say matter-of-factly.

“I Think so too. But the faction that's against the royal family would rather prefer being puppets with the Presian Empire than help furthering, the kingdom.”

“So that's why I don’t see some of the nobles from the northern half of the kingdom. I thought they would be more responsible and appear for the fate of the country.” I say jokingly.

“They’re the ones who benefitted very much under the Imperium. Well the Imperium couldn’t hold onto this area effectively, so here they are, acting like a bunch of cry babies.” The king stated.

Although our conversation and meeting between the nobles was interrupted by a magical disruption, I turned around and saw a cloaked person. I draw my gun and point at him “State your name and what country are you from?!” I ask the cloaked figure.

“Now, now there is no need for hostilities, I am a spy from the Kingdom of Jurusili and my majesty would like to pass on a message to you.” He said, uncaring for the very powerful weapon that can make his head into mince meat with a single well placed shot.

“What message does Prince William have for us?” the aging king asked.

“I see you people have been busy with making preparations to defend against his majesty's armies but fear not; he has no plans for that. About the message he says he wants to start negotiations on an alliance for a possible invasion by the Presian empire, after all they are aware that it was emperor Presia who ordered the hero to kill his father. Also he says we must do this in the grand duchy of Vieno, as he fears Presian spies.”

“I see I think we could agree with that, but since I will probably be very much busy with the fallout of the previous Elven king's death. I shall send my first in line my daughter Victoria Viktor Alaxend to start negotiations with Jurusili, is that fine with you?” He says.

“That shall be fine, negotiations shall hopefully start around 3 days from now.” the spy said. He then left the building at speeds which no normal human could achieve, not even hoping to even withstand the g forces produced going at that speed.

“So do I begin preparations to head to Vieno father?” she asked despite not needing to know as she already knew the answer, she asked to make sure.

“Yes, we mustn’t fail at this, it would spell disaster.” He then turned to me. “Make sure Victoria stays safe and makes it to the city state in one piece.” 

“Yes sir.”

A few kilometers Outside the city of Vieno

It's been a few days since they left the royal capital, and according to the driver, we’re not that far from the city. Apparently it's considered a megacity by this world's standards with an impossible population for this era of around 450,000 people.

“So, James, tell me, how big are the megacities of your world?” she asked.

“Well a city is considered a megacity at around 10 million people, half a million is nothing more than a large city to us. But it's surprising that the city state of Vieno is capable of supporting a population of that size with this world's current tech level.”

“Yep, it is said they’re blessed by the goddess of agriculture so they can grow a lot of food, and still be able to have left over for more population to grow.”

Eventually the city walls came into view, its stone structure reminiscent of late medieval europe, although these cities are located in this world equivalent of the middle east.

Eventually the carriage was stopped by a guard at the city walls. It seemed like the driver was being asked questions.

After a short while the car got moving again. After a few minutes of going through the city, we eventually reached the city palace. A butler opened the door for us.

“Princess Alaxend welcome to the Grand Duchy of Vieno. I am here to guide you to the ballroom.” The butler said.

“Right.” Was all what Victoria said, till she exited the carriage with me following right behi

1