Chapter 6 — Odd situation, Tanya’s Promise, Raya versus Phalanx
1.5k 10 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"R-Raya?"

⌈ Tanya? ⌋

"Non-lethal ammunition! Save the girl at all costs and capture the alien!"

The one leading the scout team immediately switched his magazine for another one strapped to his side, swiftly ejecting the previous mag and inserting the new one all in one smooth motion.

Oddly, Raya thought about a meme in her past life that went something like 'remember, switching to your sidearm is faster than reloading'.

⌈ Complete bullshit I say ⌋

Not even a second had passed and the scout captain was already aiming down sights ready to pull the trigger. 

Raya who was about to grab Tanya and leave hesitated for 0.1 seconds. 

[Human. Marine Scout Team Leader. 2.9 Bio-energy points]

[Human. Marine Scout Team Soldier. 2.2 Bio-energy points]

[Human. Marine Scout Team Soldier. 2.2 Bio-energy points]

That was more than enough points to complete her first task and unlock the mysterious Apex Hunter System. 

But fate wasn't on her side this time. Her hesitation had caused her arm to be shot by a dart.

Right after the first dart hit, several more came flying through the air landing all over her body. 

The darts were a type of tranquilizer made specifically for Xenos, though severely impractical as they would merely last several minutes to at most an hour, it was enough time for the scout team to restrain Xenos with more efficient methods.

"Raya!? Are you hurt?"

⌈ I'm fine, just feeling a little drowsy ⌋

Raya had picked up Tanya in a hug, shielding her from the rest of the darts as her figure turned around ready to dive back into the vents behind them.

Darts continued to fly over their heads as they disappeared into the vents, the motion tracker's signal showed a white dot rapidly leaving its area of influence before the iconic blip noises ceased.

***

"Shit! They got away" (Phalanx)

"Well, they can't get away too far, these tranquilizing darts are the newest batch, several times more effective. Let's chase after them" (Phalanx)

"Hold it. Did you notice the Xenos strange behavior?" (Recon)

"What?" (Phalanx)

"I mean, didn't it seem like the alien was protecting the girl?" (Recon)

"Isn't that obvious? Them bugs need humans to breed more of em. Course it'll keep the kid safe" (Phalanx)

"I... guess you're right. I must be overthinking things. What should we do captain?" (Recon)

The serious-looking middle-aged man pondered for a moment while staring down the dark hallway, listening to the conversation behind him.

"We currently lack information. All we know is that there was a sudden outbreak more than 15 hours ago. 200 Xenos escaped imprisonment with up to 400 casualties. Take a look over here." (Gunner)

Both standing on either side of the leader, all three of them were staring inside of one of the rooms. 

Bullet casings, guns, malfunctioned turrets, destroyed furniture, and all sorts of destruction littered the place, but what made the scene eerie and confusing was the lack of something.

"Where are the corpses?" (Phalanx)

"Recon, use one of your PUPS1Parameter Uplink Spectagraph. They're the same scanners used by Sean Fifield in PROMETHEUS. to scan the interior of the room" (Gunner)

The recon scout on the team nodded before tossing a metallic ball in the air. The orb-shaped device is a scanner used to map out any environment/terrain creating a live 3D image scanned by the omnidirectional red light. The 3D image was then brought up on a wrist device attached to the Recons wrist, showing the holographic image of the entire room.

"So, what did you find?" (Gunner)

"Besides the destruction of the facilities property, weaponry, and the occasional acid pits... Nothing. Not a single corpse" (Recon)

"Hmmm" (Gunner)

"What the hell do you mean there's not a single corpse? They couldn't have walked out of here and buried themselves right? Bullshit!" (Phalanx)

"Maybe... The aliens got rid of them?" (Recon)

"Huh? Since when did those damn bugs care about hygiene? Shits fucked up!" (Phalanx)

"To answer your earlier question, we won't give chase for now. We don't know how many Xenos are lurking in the shadows. First, we set a base camp outside and set a perimeter around the facility. Contact the Avant-Courier and update them on the odd situation down here" (Gunner)

"Yes sir" (Recon)

***

⌈ Tanya, I'm going to sleep soon and I don't know how long I'll be asleep for. Stay here okay? ⌋

"Where are you going, Raya?"

⌈ I'm going to find a place to hide until I've woken up. ⌋

"Can't you stay with me? I will protect you from the marines..."

⌈ Sigh. I wish it were that simple. When they find you, tell them that I've already left the facility and that I went East, it's the direction where my... Siblings had escaped to. Their hive should also be in that direction somewhere. ⌋

"No, I don't want to leave you behind!"

My heart ached at the sight of Tanya staring at me with tear-filled, worried eyes. Her arms and legs latched around my body unwilling to part with me.

⌈ Tanya. You're dying. I don't know what's wrong with you and I can't help you. Staying with me is too dangerous. Be obedient and leave with the marines, I will be safe here. ⌋

Tanya vigorously shook her head several times until the tears streamed down her face, crying so much that she tired herself out and fell asleep with red eyes a couple of minutes later. 

Gently placing her down on a sofa inside a relatively well-kept room, Raya stared at the little girl's sleeping figure.

⌈ I wish I could see you again. ⌋

I picked up the comic book which fell from her hand and carefully put it in her arms before leaving through the vents. 

⌈ If something happens to Tanya I will never forgive you, marines. ⌋

A cold low hiss echoed in the vents before going silent once again.

***

An hour had passed since Raya found a secure hiding place to sleep in. 

She made sure there wasn't any movement near her before exiting the hole and crawling into the vents.

⌈ I grew again? ⌋

During her sleep, Raya had shed her skin which she only noticed when the sound of her sticky shedding fell onto the opening of the vent she crawled into.

Reflected in her glossy pristine claws was Raya's face marveling at the lethal weapons. The arm the claws were attached to was no different to steel wires stretched tautly, a terrifying strength hidden beneath the exoskeleton exterior. 

She had also noticed the small edges carved into her skull, quite a difference from her once smooth surface.

⌈ I should be a drone now, right? ⌋

Putting these thoughts aside, Raya quickly made a beeline towards Tanya's room. 

A small part of her hoped Tanya was still there, but reality proved that it was as she guessed. Tanya was nowhere to be found.

Raya was about to leave when she picked up a piece of paper on the sofa within her senses. Curious, she walked over and picked it up.

One day, I will come back and save you. And I will protect you from the monsters. Just as you did for me.

– Love, Tanya.

⌈ . . . ⌋

An alien stood inside an empty room with a piece of crumpled paper. The words written on it were messy but to the alien, they were the most beautiful words she had read.

⌈ That's a promise. ⌋

Raya smiled at the paper before putting it back down on the sofa.

Leaving through the vents again, Raya decided to check the facility quietly and carefully for any traps, turrets, mines, or otherwise dangerous objects.

Not long after, her senses picked up a faint wave of life energy coming from above her. 

Following the scent of life, Raya made it back to the entrance where she saw the marines. 

Outside of the entrance were two dark green tents, a third one currently being worked on by a marine.

[Human. Marine Scout Team Soldier. 2.2 Bio-energy points]

Raya was overjoyed by this opportunity as shown by her immediate action of jumping out of the vents and making a rapid dash to the marine.

However, the moment Raya had noticed him, he had already picked up on her appearance thanks to the motion tracker hanging on his hips.

Two figures jumped forward, an alien leaping out from the shadows towards its prey, and the victim diving towards his shield leaning against one of the tents. 

Bang!

Zzzztttt!!!

Hissss!?

A screeching hiss scared the nearby birds in the trees away as an alien was shocked by the shield, immobilizing her on all fours trying to shake off the surging electricity. 

"Fuck! Where's my rifle!?"

The marine cursed out loud as he frantically looked around the place in search of his gun but was appalled by his discovery.

Taking the time the alien was stunned, the marine shoved aside the alien as he ran off to the side.

The joy of almost reaching his gun was turned into confusion as his vision started to tilt to the side until eventually, he fell over. He had realized that one of his legs was missing from the intense pain disturbing his focus.

"A-ahhh! My leg! Fuck, fuck, fuck. Go to hell you-"

Crunch 

Cutting him off mid-sentence was the jaws of the alien biting through his skull. 

The marine was killed mercilessly without even firing a single bullet.

I used the character loadouts from Aliens Fireteam Elite. A fun game, I recommend playing it.

Thanks for reading.

53