chapter 4
422 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alicia's wings folded themselves as he straightened out his back. His expression betraying none of the thoughts going through his head. The same could not be said about the devils.

 

Issei looked like he was about to have a mental breakdown after everything he was told. Rias and Kiba looked at him with a bit of uncertainty and confusion. Akeno looked guarded and her expression looked tight. Koneko looked plain confused.

 

“A… celestial?” Rias was the first one to speak after a few seconds of awkward silence, she crossed her fingers under her chin. “I’m afraid i’m not familiar with… celestials.” 

 

‘This is not going to plan at all!’ Rias was metally weeping at the fact that yet another one of her amazing plans were ruined in an instant. ‘I don’t even know if i can recruit him now. I got nothing to go off of!’

 

Alicia tilted his head as he summoned his school uniform back on. “I would be concerned if you did and be very curious about where my kin is. As far as i know i am the only celestial in this world.”

 

“This world?”

 

Alicia nodded as he sat back down next to Koneko, who thankfully didn’t move away from him, and spoke. “Yes, I'm from a different world Or alternate timeline. The details are a little lost on me, I'm afraid.”

 

It wasn’t a total lie, the finer details of dimensional travel were utterly lost on him. Never mind the fact that he couldn’t open the portals. No, That was Pavo’s speciality and as far as he knew.no one else could go to other versions of their world. 

 

“I suppose i should explain my story first huh.” the looks on most of their faces told him everything he needed to know. 

 

“My story, and coincidentally my kins, starts hundreds maybe even thousands of years ago. my creators Zenus the almighty one and his eldest daughter Celestria got into a… let's call it a fight… over mortals and whether or not wrath is a good punishment. After a while Zenus grew tired over the mortals' sinfulness and would have ‘erased’ the mortal races to start over if it weren't for Lady Celestria.”

 

“What did she do?” Kiba interrupted Alicia, earning a fierce glare in return. 

 

“Let me talk and i’ll tell you.” Alicia grumbled out, hating it when people interrupted stories. “So to make sure her father did not kill everything,” everyone seemingly leaned forward in anticipation, even if they could already see this going like so many other stories. The daughter will attack her father and lead a resistance until the final battle where he realises the dumbassery of his actions and becomes good.

 

“She turned herself into a tree and could only be released from her self imposed prison with pieces of humanity's kindness/gratitude.” that caused them to doubletake. Ignoring their incredulous looks he continued. “before she did, Zenus called her foolish. Nevertheless the two would create the Celestians, as well as the observatory, who would be the ones to acquire benevolessence by guarding and protecting the mortals and their villages from wayward monsters. This Benovelessence would release lady Celestria from the Yggdrasil and show Zenus that yes the mortals can be good. My people could not be seen by living mortals, but animals and spirits could see us.”

 

“200 years later one of my Kin, Corvus, fell down to the protectorate. More specifically wormwood creek where he would meet his lover Serena. Weeks would go by and the two would grow to have mutual feelings for one another and he would give her a necklace as a sign of his affection. Unfortunately the Gittish empire, a kingdom home to the various monsters and some really bad humans, would invade the small town in order to apprehend him and bring him to the gittingham palace. Corvus would strike the monsters down, temporarily saving the town. However because of his fall he was weakened immensely and would have to rest.”

 

[quick note: this is actually the reverse of what happened, corvus would strike the Gittish soldiers not long after he fell THEN he and Serena would gain affection for one another. I just like the way this sounds more, plus an empire on another continent would not find out only days after.]

 

“Serena would insist on him resting and regaining his strength. However the Gittish soldiers were only a small detachment and the rest had arrived, Corvus would go to try and attack the soldiers but Serena would convince him not to and hide with her. The two would flee from wormwood creek to a cave, where Corvus would feel extreme guilt over not protecting his village. Serena would offer him special medicine that she claimed would heal him faster when in reality it was a sleep potion in order to prevent him from hurting himself.”

 

“Disaster struck however as Serena’s grandfather led the Gittish soldiers to the cave, betraying Corvus, in an attempt to save wormwood creek. Corvus would fall unconscious just after they entered the cave leading him to believe that both Serena and her grandfather had sold him out.”  

 

Akeno interrupted him before he could continue, irking him. “Wait what happened to Serena?” she asked with concern.

 

Alicia sighed deeply as he thought about what Serena’s ghost told him. “The two were murdered not long after Corvus fell asleep, this left him feeling betrayed as he did not know that. Now please let me continue.”

 

The group nodded and he continued with his story.

 

“Corvus would be taken to the Oubliette, a prison located beneath the Gittingham palace, where he would be tortured and experimented on for an unknown amount of time before we lost any sort of way of finding him and if he was alive and... as much as I hate admitting it over those years he would develop a deep hatred for humanity, including his love. It was not long after losing track of him, he was declared dead and this would pave the way for our darkest hour.”

 

Alicia trailed off after that, his face contorting into a painful expression. The group didn’t know how to process anything they were told. Koneko and Kiba just looked at their friend with shock, knowing least of all, this was far different than what they were expecting. Sadly he had to continue, the story was not done after all. 

 

“300 years later my mentor, Aquila, and I would gather the final bit of Benovelessence in order to release Lady Celestia from angel falls, the village I was tasked with protecting. It was the most joyful day i could ever remember, more so than more celestials being born.” here Alicia’s voice turned from even and plain to quiet and somber, his fists clenched as he remembered what happened. The emotions he felt while he stood with his mentor and Apus Major and offered Yggdrasil the Benovelessense. “Aquila, the eldest celestial Apus Major and I would watch as the Yggdrasil bloomed with bright emerald leaves, shining like a great beacon of hope to us and golden Fyggs growing from its branches. The sound of the starlight express sounding its horn seemingly telling us that we have done our greatest mission and we would be welcomed into the almighty's realm by our lady and our god, after centuries of work, setbacks, deaths of villages and their guardians. We did it.”

 

Koneko could only watch as tears started to slowly go down her friends cheeks and his arms shaking just the tiniest bit. She didn’t know what to do and judging by the rest of their expressions neither did they.

 

“Just minutes before our greatest triumph, the starlight express was struck by dark forces. The sheer magical backlash was devastating. The starlight express was thrown from the top of the Observatory sending it down to the protectorate, dark lightning would strike everywhere. Sadly many of my kin were located outside the halls of our home. The top of the Observatory would be affected the most in a figuratively way. A monstrous gale combined with the amount of magic would rip the Fyggs off the branches with a powerful strike and sadly me as well.”

 

Raising a still shaking hand he lifted the bottom of his shirt and showed them his back. The gasps of horror were not unfounded, nearly the entirety of his back was covered by electrical burns. He put down his shirt and showed them the scars on his right arm and his neck. He gave a wobbly look as he continued.

 

“I was hit by a diverging strike that struck the top of the Observatory while I tried to hold on. I… i will never forget my mentors' look of horror and fear as i was ripped off. I soon blacked out as I fell.”

 

Koneko didn’t think, just acted. She reached over and grabbed his hand, earning a small tearful smile.

 

“When i awoke days later… i was told i had fallen to my town, angel falls, in a horrible sense of irony right into the waterfall that earned the town its namesake. But being ejected from my home wasn’t the only thing to happen to me, both my wings and my halo were gone. That what made and marked me Alicia, a celestial, a protector of mortals… was gone. The wings would let me fly, go home where i so desperately wanted to be. No longer existed. My halo that let me know both where i was needed and let me remain hidden from mortals so as to be their guardian angel. No longer veiled me.”

 

“I was effectively human. With no idea what to do or where to go.” 

 

The group was silent for several minutes simply digesting what they just heard. The majority of the group could at least somewhat understand his feelings. Akeno, Kiba, and Koneko could understand the feelings he went through, the feeling of something so important being ripped so callously from oneself. Alicia closed his eyes as he remembered the panic, the fear, and the horror he felt when he found out.

 

Rias was the first one to speak. She was looking out the window as she did. 

 

“It’s getting late, perhaps we should continue this tomorrow at my place.” Rias said her tone betrayed nothing she was thinking of. But her peerage could see it clearly in her body language, she had no idea what to do. “I believe you would benefit from it as well Alicia, Koneko could you make sure he got home safely.”

 

The small girl could hear the underlying message, ‘make sure your friend is ok’, and just nodded. While still holding her friends hand she started to drag the celestial out of the building. She occasionally glanced back at him, worried. As for Alicia?

 

He was remembering the past.

 

[Put the thing here.][ long flashback time.]

Alcia gently hovered in the sky watching the beautiful landscape. It was peaceful, watching the grass sway and the leaves in the trees rustle. No matter how many times he comes down to the protectorate it still amazes him with its beauty. In the distance he could see animals dancing around in the grass.

 

Hearing fluttering wings coming closer, the young celestial looked over. Seeing Aquila flying over brought a smile to his face, always happy to see his teacher. 

 

“Little wing.” Aquila greeted once he was close enough, his large wing slowly flapping behind him.

 

“Big wing.” he replied with mirth. Always happy with the nicknames they picked for each other.

 

Aquila had one of if not the largest set of wings in the entire Guardian Celestials group, both for his age and for his prowess. While Alicia has some of the smallest. Partially because of how peaceful the area around angel falls was most of the time. Sure some of the local monsters might act uppity but for the most part nothing too dangerous happened.

 

“Come on, there some humans coming back from Stornway.” Aquila said, jerking his head towards the main road, which was just a dirt path. “I want to keep an eye on them, make sure none of the monsters try their luck.”

 

Alicia nodded and in an instant they were flying through the air, faster than most species could track. Looking around Alicia could see groups of slimes wandering around mostly by themselves but occasionally he could see a cruelcumber leading them. Looking at one of the large trees in the distance the young celestial could see some teeny sanguini hanging from the branches like bats.

 

A frown soon found itself on his face. Despite the relative quietness of the angel fall region he’s noticed more and more cruelcumbers were making their little gangs and occasionally attacking the travelers that passed through. While it wasn’t unusual for that to happen, the rate it’s occurring is. It wasn’t just angel falls either according to other guardians their towns and cities have also received more attacks.

 

“Kid you alright?” while he had a stony expression on his face, Alicia had spent enough time around his teacher to notice the worry he was expressing. 

 

“Yeah i’m fine, just thinking about all the monster gangs popping up.”

 

His teacher's expression hardened, sending a shiver down his spine. He had seen what happened to his teacher when he had that expression.

 

“Don’t worry about that ok.”

 

Alicia just nodded and went back to focusing on the matter at hand. In just a few minutes the duo arrived at the main path. They hovered over the path just high enough to see around them from above, yet able to reach the ground in just a few seconds..

 

Half an hour later Alicia spotted two humans walking down the path. A hunched over elderly man and by the looks of it his granddaughter walking slowly down the path. Alica checked the sides of the path again, a blue slime making its way behind a large rock just off the road caught his eye. Tapping his teacher's shoulder to catch his attention he pointed at the rock, getting a nod in return.

 

Alicia glided down to the ground behind the rock and took notice of what kind of monsters were behind it. Two slimes and a cruelcumber seemingly chuckling to themselves as they stared at the humans. One of the slimes look over to his companions, probably to gloat, but caught Aquila and Alicia instead.

 

With a noise the slime caught the attention of the other two causing them to turn around as well. The trio started to back up, watching them with weary eyes. They got into line formation, the cruelcumber in the middle

 

“Ready?” his teacher asked.

 

“Ready.”

 

He swung his wooden sword at the slime of the left, easily knocking it back, two more strikes saw it going up in a puff of purple smoke. The other two monsters were defeated just as quick. Alicia looked at his teacher and saw pride in his eyes.

 

“Come on grandpa.” a young voice called out. Looking past the rock they saw the humans were walking past. 

 

“Hehe sorry dear, these old bones don’t move as fast as they used to.” The older man chuckled as he waddled behind her. “Don’t grow old Erinn.”

 

The girl, Erinn, he reminded himself, shook her head in fondness. Looking in the distance she could see the small town of angel falls. A smile found itself on her face. “Just a few more minutes grandpa.”

 

The old man had a wistful expression cross his face as he stared ahead. “Hmm never thought these old eyes would get the chance to see it again, but there it is. Home.”

 

“Mhmh the village guardian must have made sure there were no monsters along the way, so don’t be so melodramatic grandpa.” she said giving her grandfather a look of exasperation. Folding her hands against her chest she gave thanks, her grandfather bowing his head. “Oh benevolent Alicia, thank you for watching over us in our journey,”

 

As the two walked away a blue aura surrounded the girls, which broke off and formed into a Benevolessence. Holding out his hands Alicia watched in childlike joy as it gently floated into his grasp. 

 

“Behold Alicia, Benevolessence. The crystalized gratitude of humanity towards those who watch over them.” Aquila spoke with reverence as he stared at it. “Now you remember what to do with it right?”  

 

Nodding Alicia spoke. “As our sacred duty as celestrians we are to offer the great world tree, Yggdrasil, this sacred substance called benevolessense .”

 

“Correct, now let's return to the observatory.” 

 

With a few flaps of their wings the two were flying through the sky. 

 

*later*

 

Aquila and Alicia flew through the entrance, landing in the flower patch. Alicia looked around, relaxing as he did so. The observatory may not look like much, what with the carved stone that's cracked in some places, the seemingly random patches of grass with various fauna and the moss/vines growing along the outside, but to all the celestrians that lived here? It’s home.

 

“Now remember whenever a celestial returns they must return to Apus major.” Aquila said before giving an apologetic look. Well as much as he could. “I apologise for this but there is something i must do so i will not be able to join you.”

 

Bowing his head his teacher walked away to do whatever he needed to do.

 

‘Just like the unchanging northern star, Apus major will be found within the great hall.’ Alicia thought as he walked to the aforementioned great hall. Fortunately it didn’t take long to reach it with it being directly above the main entrance.

 

“Well met Alicia, apprentice of Aquila.” the two Celestials that guarded the eldest celestial greeted.

 

“Well met, guardians.”

 

As he walked closer Apus major spotted him from his chair. The old man's eyes crinkled as he spotted one of the newest guardians that had returned. It was always nice to see one of his old disciples again.

 

“Welcome Back Alicia, i trust your absence has not been so lengthy that you forgot your old master!” he greeted in a jolly tone, causing Alicia’s smile to grow just a bit bigger. “My congratulations on successfully completing your first task as a guardian, my child. You have performed your duties well thus far, albeit under Aquila’s watchful gaze.”

 

Alicia bowed his head to hide his blush, feeling a sense of embarrassment from the praise. “Thank you Apus major, I hope to continue to do so.”

 

Apus major chuckled at the young celestial's embarrassment, it always brought a sense of joy to him. “Hehe I have no doubt about that my child, but now it is time for you to spread your own wings. What do you say? Are you ready to undertake your duties alone?”

 

The creme haired trap could practically feel the determination coursing through him.

 

“Yes.”

 

Alicia could see Apus major’s mustache curl up, telling him he was smiling.

 

“And thus we come to the next of your duties. I believe you have acquired a crystal of benevolessense, have you not? The essence of mortal gratitude.” at Alicia’s nod he continued. “Then you must offer it unto the great world tree, Yggdrasil who shelters us with her nurturing boughs from atop the observatory. She will soon bear at last. Go now, and do as i have instructed.”

 

Alicia bowed his head down and started the short journey to the top of the observatory. It was something he had only done a few times. The first was technically when he was ‘born’ at the roots of Yggdrasil, the second was when started his training under Apus major, and finally when he just started his apprenticeship under Aquila he went to Yggdrasil to offer prayers so that he may excel under his teaching.

 

As he walked through the numerous hallways and rooms, the voices of other celestials started to reach his ears. Try as he might, the urge to frown at his kins words were becoming harder and harder.

 

“Mortals pass away at the slightest hint of sickness or injury, and are weak of spirit.”

 

“I know, I thank the almighty i was born a celestian. To be born mortal would be a truly sorrowful fate.”

 

“I love these statues, the wings, the halo… they represent the perfect celestrian form.”

 

One in particular infuriated him. One such guardian sat at a counter with a scholar.

 

“I work hard to drive off monsters and perform other services for those i am charged with protecting as a guardian.” the guardian spoke with annoyance not noticing Alicia. “But they offer up not the slightest thanks! Is there really any need to watch over these ungrateful mortals? I have my doubts.”

 

Without even noticing Alicia started to walk faster, hoping to not catch any more of such callus words. He quickly walked to the upper levels hoping that once he was done offering the benovelessence he could hurry back down to the protectorate so he may continue to defend Angel falls. 

 

“Excuse me Alicia?” a younger Celestial came from a small group lounging along the hallway leading outside. “I’m sorry for interrupting you in whatever you are doing but could you answer a question of mine?”

 

Stopping he thought for a second. deciding it might calm him down he answered. “Of course jade, what do you need?” 

 

“Is it true that mortals cannot see us celestrians?”

 

Confused as this is something they were taught at a young age, Alicia nodded.

 

“Truly? So they do not see us, even if we stand right before their eyes? What feeble beings!” Jade giggled as she went back to her group. Alicia could only clench his fist in anger as he left the indoor Observatory. He doesn't know what happened to his kin but they seemed to have changed and not for the better.

 

‘Focus you can think on that later’ Alicia thought, slapping his cheeks slightly. He had a job to do after all. 

 

“Woooooow.” Alicia looked in awe as he got closer to Yggdrasil. The world tree looked like a massive oak tree, taller than the largest house in angels fall. According to apus major despite being as old as the observatory it has never changed, never lost its leaves or grown.  

 

Ironically Yggdrasil was just large enough that it barely touched the edge of the ring around it, giving the top of the observatory a nice top.

 

He reached into his inventory and grabbed the Benevolessense, it’s comet shape seemed to pulsate with excitement at its proximity to Yggdrasil. Extending his hands Alicia watched with childlike joy as it slowly floated up in Yggdrasil’s branches. Though he could barely see it now, the Benevolessence was absorbed into the tree’s mighty trunk.

 

For a moment nothing. Then, slowly, Yggdrasil’s beautiful form started to shine with a magical light. A golden ethereal light made the world tree even more devine. Alicia didn’t even know that was possible.

 

“Behold alicia…” Aquila’s voice came from behind him but the young guardian could not take his eyes off. “Is  Yggdrasil, unto whom we offer the benevolessence we gather, not truly beautiful? Gathering and offering up Benevessence is the most sacred duty with which we guardians are charged.”

 

Finally Alicia turned away to face his mentor, or was it former mentor now?, and could only nod.

 

“I trust you will perform your duties well, Alicia, Guardian of angel falls.”

 

For a very brief second, Aquila could have sworn the smile his disciple gave him was just as blinding as the glow of Yggdrasil behind him.

“Well done, Alicia. And how did mighty yggdrasil appear to you?” Apus major leaned forward on his chair with an excited gleam in his eyes. The nearby guardians also leaned forward, though they did so far more subtly.

 

Alicia nodded feverishly. “Yes! She looked fiercely aglow, as if she was about to become a shining beacon!”

 

“She was fiercely aglow you say?” Apus major stroked his beard as he spoke. “Ho ho ho. It seems the time may soon be upon us. She may bear fruit in due time and now, Alicia, guardian of angel falls, i believe you know what you must do next. You are to return to the protectorate and continue to gather benevelessence …this time without Aquila to accompany you.” 

 

“Make ready, and speak with Bella. She will let you return to angel falls.”

 

Alicia bowed his head down and turned away, ready to do his sacred duty. Just after he exited the great hall Apus major spoke again. 

 

“May the heavens watch over you, Alicia, guardian of angel falls.”

Time skip, AKA i’m not writing the rest of the ‘adventures’. They are just minor things, like picking up horse pat, and finding an old lady’s ring.

    

It was time… for Alicia to offer more benevolessence to Yggdrasil… again. It took weeks of effort to do so but finally, after Almighty knows how long, the great world tree was ready to bloom and with it the celestrians shall journey to the realm of the Almighty.

 

Alicia stood at the top of the stairs leading to Yggdrasil with Aquila and Apus major standing not far behind him, his hands clutching the final Benevolessence needed for it to bloom. He could feel the anticipation in his heart. He, Alicia the youngest guardian, was the one to summon the starflight express.

 

‘Oh be swift my heart, be jubilant my soul.’ Alicia kept repeating these words as a mantra as he slowly stepped closer to Yggdrasil. Each step that crunched the midnight dew covered grass sounded like a warhammer struck down with lightning in his ears. 

 

The tiny winged guardian at last at the base of the world tree, ever so slowly he released the final Benevolessence and watched as it disappeared into the leaves. Once more it took a second for it to happen.

 

7 large, golden Fyggs rapidly grew from the branches of Yggdrasil shining like tiny golden stars. Her branches gleaned like thin emeralds in the bright moonlight. Alicia could only watch in awe and anticipation at the spectacle in front of him. The two older guardians were not much better, Aquila’s mouth hung open and if you looked closely Apus major had tears of joy running down his wizened face.

 

“Behold the sacred Fyggs bloom, HAHAHA.” Apus major cackled in delight as he looked upon the fruit. Then they heard it, the whistle of the starflight Express. All across the Observatory Celestials looked up at the sound and saw the most glorious sight. Flying through the night sky, a golden comet came flying to the ring near Yggdrasil. It did not take long for it to arrive with how fast it was going. With reverence Apus major spoke. “And with it the celestial chariot arrives, hahaha! Praise be, all is as it was foretold!”

 

The Starlight express slowed to a stop atop the ring, losing it’s ethereal glow and showing the Celestials its most divine form. All over the Observatory cheers could be heard as their most sacred and important task was over, they could finally join others in the heavens. Grudges between Guardians were forgotten, the scholars began to pray in mass as they thanked the almighty and the apprentices did everything between. Tears of joy were shed by even the most battle hardened Celestials. All the pain and sorrow, the doubt and werrieness were forgotten in an instant. The halls of the fallen, draped with hundreds of dead celestials' personal emblems, even seemed to feel joyous as if they could tell their sacrifice had been worth it. Apus major could not recall the last time the observatory felt so alive, so full of happiness. It took much of his effort to make sure he didn’t collapse to the ground.

 

 

 

Then…

 

 

It all went wrong…

 

Dark purple lighting struck the Starflight Express, severing the sections from each other and throwing them to the realm below. Many Celestials could only watch in open mouthed horror as the Starflight express fell below the clouds beyond their vision. The entire Observatory fell silent, even the numerous waterfalls inside and around its form seemed to fall silent. The countless Celestials could barely breathe let alone think but the few that could all had the same thought process.

 

What are they going to do? What CAN they do?

 

...But alas the worst had yet to come.      

 

Numerous purple beams shot out of the clouds before splitting into lightning, while absolutely monstrous gales appeared out of nowhere. Both struck the observatory at the same time killing dozens of Celestials in an instant, before long many of the angels were screaming in fear and horror as they desperately tried to escape this terrifying attack.

 

On top of the observatory the three could only watch in horror as the spectacle happened around them. Aquila and Apus major both gripped the ground below them while Alicia clutched the end of one of Yggdrasil's roots like a lifeline, which it may very well be.

 

“Wha-what is the meaning of this!” was the first thing out of Apus majors mouth as he tried to make sense of what was going on. “Wer-were we deceived!”

 

A stream of lightning ran across the top of the observatory heading towards the great world tree, Aquila noted, but with just a thought he noticed it was also going to reach his beloved apprentice. Alicia looked back, having noticed his former mentor's horrified gaze. His eyes shrunk as the purple lightning quickly headed for him. He snapped his head back to Aquila, a desperate plea already on his lips. But it was for not, as just as he started to speak it struck him.

 

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!” a scream of agony tore itself through Alicia’s throat as the lightning ran along his back. He could barely hear Aquila and Apus major shout something but the pain was too unbearable to understand it. It soon stopped and with the last bit of his strength the young guardian looked at his best friend. He couldn’t get a good look at Aquila’s face, but he managed to see the sheer horror and fear in his eyes as he tried to crawl over to him. His conscience started to turn to black as the monstrous gale tore him off the roof of the observatory. 

 

The last thing he saw before darkness overtook vision was Aquila trying to reach out for him.

7