V1C6 – Something Isn’t Right
134 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One of the scariest moments in my life happened to me when I was 8. We were swimming around in the lake near our abode in the mountains. It was the yearly vacation for our family. This time, Katsumi and her dad came with us. Katsumi is an only child which made her parents really doting. Her dad was the more relaxed type who was okay with pretty much anything. I would've thought that someone as diligent as her would've been severely disciplined at home but I guess that's just her nature. People are really born different. Along with those two was my family of four. A standard nuclear family of mom, dad, my sister, and I. My dad is a programmer while my mom is a writer. My sister, Asami Sakai, is 2 years younger than me. Even then, she was extremely cute with a slim small physique and dark round eyes. She kept her hairstyle a thin and moderate ponytail for the past 8 years too. As she grew up, the size of certain places and the mature aura she emitted were enough to grant her the unmatchable beauty title if she went to my high school.

She's still in her final year of junior high school. She's probably going to get in with her talents anyway though. She has a knack for athletics and is probably even smarter than me. Unlike me though, she has a myriad of interests that ranges from calligraphy to archery. Her 6-year-old self was also reminiscent of her outstanding future self. She had a good head on her shoulders but was just a bit too absorbed in reading all the time. What's so interesting about classical literature anyway? Put that away and relax on vacation! Now that that's out of the way, my scary experience.

To put it bluntly, I was drowning. I went too far in the lake even though Katsumi warned me. I can't swim very well but I can manage by flailing my limbs violently. This time, when too far away from land, I couldn't keep up this insult to all swimmers across the world well enough. I didn't even scream for help. This is one of the things I believe, but it could just be my nature. Help yourself. If you can't do something, improve until you can. Yielding to others is a weakness and gives them openings to using you. No traumatic experiences instigated this thinking, it's just what my entitled self thinks. My lungs started filling with the gross lake water. 

"Blrrghgh--"

I'm going to die. I'm going to drown. Why?

I didn't even have the thought to blame myself. I'm really at the height of idiocy. I didn't scream nor reach out for help. I only sank deeper and deeper into the murky water. 

Why...why...help m--

I lost consciousness. I don't remember well after that but when I opened my eyes I could see Katsumi smiling back. Maybe one of the adults jumped in and brought me back. It was heart-rending to me for thinking that I wasn't even that grateful. It's not like I'm suicidal or anything and that plead in the end was just my self-preservation instincts kicking in. My emotions right then were not that of gratitude but that of self-loathing. I didn't even have the ability to swim back from my own mistake, I'm pathetic. If only I followed Katsumi's advice and stayed in the shallower area. I'm always messing things up and my problems are always fixed by others. 

I hate that. So, I strived to fix it...but then I completely forgot. I'm not that great at keeping commitments...to myself at least. This was true even as a child. Seeing Katsumi and Asami succeed in everything they did wasn't helpful either. By the time high school rolled around, I had given up on changing the situation. I was just going to go own quietly by and enjoy myself. I still wouldn't yield to anyone but avoid trouble to the best of my ability. This was how my high school career was supposed to go...but getting isekai'd was unexpected. With this new chance I've been given and the opportunity to rise with power, I think I'll try doing what I want. My idiocy that was buried by years of hopeless unchangeability was released. It only took real magic to do it though.


Asami Sakai POV:

It happened when I was 6. While taking a vacation with my family 8 years ago, I saw something strange. We were with Katsumi and her dad as well. I didn't really like Katsumi that much, I still don't. At the time, I thought she was just acting prim and proper in front of the adults to curry flavor. She was too bright and capable. She's always overshadowing me. I realized she was normally like that over time but what really threw me off was the fact she hadn't changed at all in these past 8 years. Not her body, that changed a lot, unlike mine...

Well anyway, it was when I was reading some classical literature. It's actually quite interesting. Nii-san looked at me reading it as if I were some sort of alien. His face was really easy to read. He used to be so honest but now I can't really read him that well despite being his sister. I can pick up the nuances here and there though. At least I think I can do it better than anyone else in the world. Katsumi might stand a chance but she doesn't live with him 24/7 as I do.

Anyways, it was when I took a short break from reading. The adults were pressuring me to get in the lake. It was gross and filthy so I didn't want to. I hate dirty things. I can't go against the enthusiastic adults trying to persuade a 6-year-old so I went over to the lake where I could see Katsumi and Nii-san in the distance. It was in a spot that wasn't easily visible. What are they doing? I peeked over and saw something strange. The water began turning inside out on itself and curving towards Katsumi. Out of the created water wave, a sole small 8-year-old body could be seen as he was dumped out onto Katsumi's arms. He was choking violently with his eyes closed. She began to carry him away with her two twig arms.

Everything about this scene is wrong. Was I dreaming? No, this is too realistic for a dream. Then what was that? CG effects? Waves don't appear randomly in a lake!? Also, I've never seen Katsumi so easily lift Nii-san. He might be skinny, but is that enough to warrant being princess carried by an 8-year-old girl? The more I think about it the more I'm stumped. Katsumi came back and laid Nii-san down. He was apparently about to drown and she saved him. It's true that I saw her save him, but with a strange power. Are you a magician Katsumi? In my mind, I accepted the existence of magic. It happened right in front of me after all! From then on, I was wary towards Katsumi. I was already like that in the beginning so it's not like anything major changed. Katsumi, just who are you?


It's the current day, Nii-san hasn't come back home in a week. It seems that his classmates have also gone missing. Why is no one making a fuss? There should be government and police all over an incident where an entire class has gone missing. It's like everything is being naturally ignored and silenced. There's no one talking about it and no media posts. If someone did then it would be automatically disregarded immediately.

"Hey mom, dad, are we going to look for Nii-san again today?"

"Hm?"

"Huh?"

"Asami, what're you talking about?"

"Nii-san! Haruko Sakai, we're going to look for him again today right?"

"Haruko? Who's that? You're an only child Asami."

What's going on here? What's wrong with everyone? Nii-san where did you go? No, I think I know where. Why does no one remember you but I can? This effect is only achievable via magic. The countless pictures of us together now only have me and a blank space. I clenched my teeth and fist while looking downcast. Katsumi...I don't know what you are...but please protect him until I arrive. I'm going to save Nii-san, that's what families do after all. 

 

 

 

8