V1C8 – The Otherworldly Mage and Helvias
90 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harold Williams POV:

It's been a couple of years since I was spirited away to Helvias. I wonder if my family is okay. I'd love to be able to tell them how I feel right now, but I guess that's not really possible right? As an S-Rank Adventurer and titled the Mage of Calamity (mage/magician synonymous), I have a lot on my plate too. Even now, I'm standing at the edge of the Great Ovrin Forest where a disturbance created a stampede of monsters. These weren't just any monsters but monsters from that forest. They're abnormally strong which is why strong adventurers such as myself have the duty to receive them. These guys are the strongest in the natural environment of Helvias, around level 90-130. 

"Harold, Harold! There are dragons incoming!"

"What!?"

My wife would never lie to me but there is almost no way dragons would come here, to the city of New Voses in the territory of the Graya Oligarchy. The Graya Oligarchy neighbors the Astean Kingdom and trades with them regularly. They have friendly ties with each other but Graya didn't directly assist in the war. A deep cut is being created within the two country's higher-ups because of this. Graya is probably just scared of the Demon Lord like most people are.

Speaking about dragons, most dragons live up north in the mountains in the territory of the Dragon King Ryuto. The human nations are in close proximity to each other and are close to the bottom of the northern mountains. Surrounding it all is the Great Ovrin Forest which New Voses borders on. The territory of Demon Lord Dakias Eron is mostly diagonal to Astean and further from Graya. Astean fights a war on two fronts against them.

Despite being close to human nations, dragons rarely descend here. Humans are like dust on the side of the road for higher beings such as them. Some of the weaker ones like tormenting, killing, or stealing from humans though. In the case of a dragon attack, which is indeed very rare, a nation's entire military will become involved. That's why there is almost no way that multiple dragons are coming to this human city away from the mountains. That is supposed to be the case but...

I can clearly see a fleet of at 10 dragons flying here. The preeminent species that possess elemental abilities, magic-resistant scales, and staggering longevity. From the looks of it though, they're pretty mediocre, probably not that high of rank (they are but they just got there by sucking up to Ryuto). As my mind scrambled from the impossible sight, the resounding footsteps of the forest's monsters got louder. They finally left the forest, hundreds of monsters without discrimination. Monsters with unique colors, sizes, and shrieks. Bears, wolves, deers, minotaurs, bugs, rodents. The disruption that caused this stampede...what kind of monster would that be?

I don't have time to think about that or the dragons right now. Let's just hope they're passing by and won't disturb us. If I don't do anything about this stampede, New Voses will be run over. Anyways, in the circumstance that a large number of monsters attack an overwhelmingly large distance, what would I do? Fire magic and light magic for pure destruction is a great option if you want to start a forest fire. I doubt the Earth or floods can hold them long or damage them and I don't want to ruin the landscape. Large-scale ice magic could work, but I'm don't have much affinity with ice or water in the first place. Wind magic is normally used for fewer targets and can't handle the hundreds in front of me. Creating a tornado would just be messy. Other magics focused on special effects like dark magic can't be counted on for this number either. In that case, there only leaves one. I'll use one of my personal favorite spells, a spell that doesn't even exist in this world, one with precision and power.

[Tracking Lightning]

Beams of crooked lightning discharged from my staff. The pure white glow dizzied the air and the spell bolted towards the monsters. A hit! Several monsters spasmed briefly and died on contact. But not yet, how could I defeat this huge horde by taking down a few? This is exactly where the effect of [Tracking Lightning] comes into play. I poured more mana into the spell. Normally, a spell's power is based on the inputted mana, different from non-magic-based skills that produce the same result after a cooldown. This is why mana efficiency, the usage of your mana pool, is so important. [Tracking Lightning] uses electricity to fry the nervous system and brains of targets. This technique is particularly good with mana efficiency and immediately travels to the next target. It takes quite some precision though.

The monsters are being fried alive one after another, tracked by this spell. It will continue as long as the spell is active and use as much mana as needed to kill the opponent. The monsters don't have time to consider the threat as they fall and soon, the burnt smell of monsters permeates the air. After a few minutes, they're all dead and my mana pool falls into the red. I forgot to cancel my [Tracking Lightning] since it usually dissipates when all the enemies are down. All of them...but...

...I forgot about the dragons. This is not good! Before I realized it and canceled the spell, [Tracking Lightning] already shot up to the sky and intercepted the dragons. The white twist crackled and 10 large bodies fell from the sky. Crap. I quickly ran over to the smoking bodies. Hm? It seems they're alive...but just barely. Well, dragons are resilient so they'll be fine. Yep, now let's leave before we get into something troublesome. I have to say, my power in this world is phenomenal even though back there it was third-rate. 

"Flora...let's go back."

My new wife smiled back at me as I turned and exhaled from mana loss. I gained a lot of levels from that so it was worth it. The main reason was just to protect the city though. I wonder what the Magic Association would think of me now. A hero who saves the weak? Haha...lately, I've been thinking about my other life a lot. My other family in another world far beyond my grasp. Even I, with my otherworldly magic techniques, can't reach them.

I wonder if Lily became the world's top mage like she always wanted to be. If someone like her came to this world, she'd probably have the power to do much more than me. She could probably destroy the world a couple of times over...just kidding.


Haruko POV:

After watching the conclusion to the showdown of the spirits and demon generals, I sat down and leaned on the trunk of a tree. I stood a distance away from the battle so it wasn't too scary.

"The first thing in this world I encounter is a monster, the next is a demon that hides in my shadow, then a great sage, a goddess, angels, spirits, and demons."

"It's only been an hour since you were summoned. You sure are handling this well."

"My mind is still in a mess but I think I have a basic idea of what's going on."

"Hm? Are you knowledgeable about our world?"

"It's more like there are a lot of stories in mine that resemble it."

"Hm...odd."

"Eris can you tell me? About the world."

"That's vague."

"Oh, uh, how about summoning and other worlds and stuff?"

"Sure. This is the world called Helvias. The world that overflows with mana--"

"Mana?"

"Mana, MP, magic power. The necessary resource for producing miracles with magic."

"I know magic exists here because I saw it used but is that all mana?"

"Yep. When Ivis teleported and when the spirits and demons fought, all of them used mana, the essence of magic. You can form mana into patterns and formations to create circles and even infuse them with words in a chant. Or you can use magic-based skills."

"Hoho...can I use magic?"

"Your body should've adapted to handle it, so probably. Have you used magic before?"

"Nope. My world had no magic at all."

"Is that so? I can't imagine a world without magic."

"We were technologically developed without it and life wasn't so bad."

"I see...I wonder how technologically different our worlds are."

"Your world probably has technology around the medieval ages of our time. Stuff like stone houses, metal armor/swords, and carriages right?"

"Hm...scarily accurate."

"So anyway, how does magic relate to my summoning?"

"The means to summon someone from another world is a magic ritual, a technique. If I remember correctly, it was devised by ancient civilizations and has been passed down to the human nations of today."

"Who performed it? Aren't I supposed to be in front of that person right now?"

"I'm not entirely sure but I heard rumors of the Human Kindgom Astean doing a hero summoning. Perhaps something went wrong with that and you got transported here. In that case, you're lucky you didn't get transported in the sky or in the ground."

"I guess I've had a lucky streak after coming to this world. It doesn't feel like that though. Anyways Astean huh? Maybe my friends are there. Well, now that I know for sure I was summoned to an isekai with magic and the like, I should probably meet up with the class. I have to get out of this forest first though."

"You want to go to Astean huh? It's a bit away but I'll guide you there. Watch out for monsters, is what I would say if a lot of the monsters didn't leave the forest because of you."

"S-sorry?"

"I wasn't asking for an apology!"

"Even if we did run into monsters can't you just reverse my [Overpowering Aura] and we'll be undetected?"

"You know how much mana that saps off me? No way!"

"Alright, let's get going then. I have no food or water anyway, so waiting in the middle of a forest seems idiotic."

"Ok! Also, Haruko, don't use your [Overpowering Aura] recklessly and call more troublesome people to us."

"I know that! I won't even let it out until I know for sure I can control it to some extent or somewhere where it doesn't affect anyone."

"That's a boring mindset but I guess it's safe. After all, that power can even be sensed in the divine realm."

"Divine realm?"

"Oh, it's like a separate space for the gods and it's bathed in mana. It's like a world that overlaps this one, like a pseudo-realm. Your skill gets through all the way to there, aren't you glad you're blessed with such a good skill?"

"What's good about it...it can even reach the divine realm. Could it reach Earth though?"

"Earth? Oh, your world. I doubt it. The divine realm and Helvias are really close to each other and aren't considered different worlds, just spaces so it reaches. Though I doubt your skill could reach all the way to Earth."

"I see...then if I want to train my skill control without it leaking everywhere I need to go to some space not connected to this world."

"That's how it is. Unfortunately, you might not have any other way to train your skill..."

"..."

"Haruko? You okay? You suddenly went quiet."

"Eris..."

I showed a daring smirk on my face.

"Let's master this [Overpowering Aura]. I have an idea."

 

 

3