1.41
47 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Should we even stay, sister? He possesses no sign of herald.”

He blinked, half-crouching half-sprawling. The chair had fallen sideways. Jarring how it tilted the exact way it was five minutes ago, the padded cushion was dangling up left, the backrest slumped, facing the door. If not for what his ear listened, his eyes swept, he would surmise that he was in fact dreaming.

“True, his is not one of those tilled the land. But, do look if he is water-marked, brother. Perhaps he is this vessel’s new boatswain? It was an offense, yes. But you are aware how fragile humans are. One could not leave them alone to grow leat without finding that they had age severely.”

Said the woman. Or so he assumed. Her secondary characteristics were kind of vague. Her hips didn’t exactly widen, — her stature, if any, was a little too similar to her counterpart; tall, lithe, and small, no bigger than his palm. If not for her hair, long and curled by the end as if it was permed, he wouldn’t have guessed her gender. They were too ...androgynous.

Perhaps that how it was with dreams. Nonsenses that made sense. At least at the moment. But what kind of dream would feature a complete structure of a park he hadn’t visit, species he hadn’t known, and a conflict he didn’t care? Apparently, his... After all he was, well ...him. It was not too far-fetched to say that this what his mind deemed as the worst-case scenario possible. 

The floating sprites in front of him that talking like he wasn’t here? They were like the fourth most unusual thing today. He just wished his subconscious, if really responsible, would stop. Immediately. Maybe it needed a little pinch?

Ouch.

That didn’t work. Hmm, what else? Well, if this was a dream then anything that wasn’t in his immediate focus should blur or falter if it was focused on too much. Deciding to try that out, he looked at them for what he felt like a minute; then to his left, also a minute; then to his right; to his up. Sadly, and to his unsurprise, the world didn’t flicker. Didn’t shatter, didn’t warp, didn’t go kablooey and ended up with him staring at the soft white-egg pastel paint his bedroom ceiling had. The table was table still. The floor was floor. Around him, gust was still blowing from the pulled-out blind, fluttering that hanging fabric piece. Nothing had changed in this room from the moment he entered it. Except for that chair he felled in his panic-scrambling. That and the two sprites floating around by the steering wheel. 

Pushing himself up, he willed his eyes to gather sparks. Sense and vision, sense and vision alternating in rapid succession. Just to make sure that those sprites were not part of the park’s grand illusion. Then again, he pursed his lips, shaking his head to his train of thought. If they were an illusion, could he even know that they were an illusion? He was what, four month deep into magic? He knew nothing. Even that illusion’s sign, the criss-cross, wefted mana threaded upon the sky, was likely to be an intentional reveal of its creator. Something like reverse, reverse-reverse, or reverse-reverse-reverse to the power of n psychology. Mind games. 

The sprites? Maybe it was part of the illusion, maybe it was not, maybe he was dreaming the moment he passed the gate, or, or maybe this place was real and this world was just that — suck. 

“Very well, sister. He shall be seen.”

That pulled him out. The multitudes of maybe could wait later. Instead he focused his attention on the sprite. What did he mean by seeing him? The young man took a step back as he saw it happening. Mana, motes spread was suddenly wrought and focused to his eyes. His eyes that glistened. Bits by bits it was shining, rolling — deepening. Then it struck. Tendrils of water were splashed toward him, he could feel each of their ticklish cold, their freezing grasp, crawling into every nook of his body.

“No, sister. No water-mark, either,” the brother’s sprite said after a minute. A minute too long. S—somehow he managed to grasp the gasp that would certainly escape if it not for his — god, the cold. The thing, the thing. H—how should he put it? Ants? Snakes? No. Worm. It was like worms. Tens of them, crawling, splotching everywhere with their tenderest touch, blowing kisses and pecks. It didn’t hurt of course, just cold, wet without being wet, and, well ...weird. It was as if he — he didn’t want to talk about it.... 

Was—was this how people who he silently appraised felt? S—surely not, right? There would be hell raised if that how it felt.

“He used water often but he does not possess the vessel mark. Should we leave him be then?”

Followed the brother, nonchalant. As if the thing he just did, didn’t exactly happen. Part of Euca wanted to erupt right there, how dare he took that tone. Fortunately, or unfortunately, his sober mind caught with the implication: they thought he wouldn’t feel it.

Which raised the question. How? Why?

“As much as that would comfort me, we could not, brother. Promise bound us still.” 

“Pity.”

“Do not fret. At least Theshiphe could not reach this water. Even he must obey his promise.”

“That is true, sis—.”

“—excuse me.” he splurted, loud enough so it didn’t come out as a squeak. This mutual pretension of not hearing each other had gone long enough. First, he needed to find Clar, then there also his preference to avoid being non-consensually scanned again.

“...ah? Had my ears deceive me, brother?” the sister sprite turned toward him. It wasn’t really clear because, well she was small, which translate to even smaller fingers, so he didn’t exactly know if she indeed pointing at him. But again, he saw that arm movement so many times which made him like eighty percent sure she was. “Because that human just talked to us.” 

“S—surely you misheard sister. ‘Twas impossible...” 

“You heard him too brother!” 

“It must be great sister, then! You know how she loves to jest.”

“No, no. The water didn’t stir. It was the human”

“Great sister, great sister, please come out now...”

Great, a denial. “Err, hello,” he said, managing a slight bow and a slight smile. “My name is Euca—”

“—we acknowledge our loss, great sister. You won!”

“G—good spirit,” he said, lifting up his head. “I could assure you I’m not part of your sister prank...”

“Silence, human! Don’t you see we — Great sister! Come on really, it is very merry. But surely you should stop by now.”

“Brother
”

“Hush, sister! This is surely part of great sister trick. Five starmists ago she pretended to be an enlightened fish just to deceive me five of my burst crystals. The water didn’t tell on her either, then. She bribed them. This time it must be the same. Wait a bit sister, you’d soon see how her thread unraveled before your very eyes.”

“ Good spirit, again, I’m not—”

“ —silence, human!”

“Brother
”

“Great sister, come on, come out now! Ah ! You must hide yourself in the water’s crest. That is not very fair—” 

“—BROTHER!”

PTAK!

Again???

What was with him and always seeing people get knocked out? First the riot, now a water punch? He shook his head when the lady water sprite, trying ‘to knock’ some sense to his brother, conjured a bubble of water. A bubble that manifested as a big giant fist that rotating-spinning in one axis, creating a spiral thrust, knocking the said brother to the wall, drenching everywhere. 

“Argh
”

“Have you calm down, brother?”

“Y—yes. Thank you, sister.” 

“So, human.” the sister sprite, floated to the front of his eyes. Her stares, bright aquamarine, boring at him. “What do you seek?”

 

 

“No. That could not be done, human. ”

“W—what? Why?”

“While you managed to see us is ...surprising. This vessel is promise-bound.”

“Yes, human.” the brother huffed, little bubble of water was spilling in and out from one side of his forehead, forming and reforming. “Promise-bound, do your puny mind comprehend that? Now, please go.”

“Do not be rude, brother.”

“But sister!”

“Please, good spirit! I—it’s my sister. She was visiting the island, I mean, I shouldn’t leave her alone, but it was her first time to go out with a friend, and I thought, the park was safe you know? I mean it’s a park! Then suddenly this—this fight broke out and before I knew it everything was...” he gritted his teeth. “Please. I—I could pay!”

“See, brother.”

“...apologize, sister.”

“We’re very sorry.” mist escaped her mouth.” But we swore only to bring those who possess the sign of herald, human. Or in the time of need, their allies, and friends — brother”— the woman suddenly turned, looking toward the window—“where do you think you are going.”

“...to the grand elder, sister.”

“Stay.”

“But, sister...”

“Stay — Human”—she turned back—“do not fear. If your young was truly on the island, she would be kept safe. Even Theshipe anger could not reach there.”

“...really?”

“Yes. Please wait here if you are worry. The shore is not his. And with that much mana.” she peered at the earth swirl, still cracking both the ground and the sky. “It would only take but a while. Perhaps by the end of daylight.” 

Euca tempted to nod. That he accepted her proposition. He meant if Clar was safe what more could he
 But then he remembered, Leo. Then Jeane. Then Rod. The man must be waiting outside, worrying. He did promise he was going to be back at three. Three and a half maybe still could be accounted for, but if he waited until sunset... He did see some people running — escaping toward the park central before this Theshiphe came. Guards surely already called. And likely Jeanne would be informed. But would they — no, he shook his head, he needed to take Clar back as soon as possible. 

But how?

...wait.

“Sorry, good spirit, you said that you could make exception for friends? Those who know people that had the err, the sign?” 

“Sign of herald. And yes, we do, human.” she nodded. “In the time of need.”

“Well, my sister’s friend, the one I was talking about. I don’t know if he’s one of the sign of herald thing — but, he’s a gardener here!” he shouted a bit, grasping at what seemed a possible straw. “He’s an elf, like this high, his hair is green I think, a bit darker than the grass, more — more like emerald green! Also he swam in the soil, like real swimming inside the soil. Oh right, his name is Apprentice.”

“You are friend with Naya’s disciple?” 

“Yes
?” the brother sprite flew to his face, only a finger away from his eyes. What with the sprites and flowing to his face...

“Why have not you say so, then? Come on, let us move!”

“Wait brother, we—”

“—come on sister, just this once?”

“Very well
” she said. “But you must insist, brother.”

“Yes, I insist.”

“Wait, wait, wait! I’m already very grateful you could bring me across! If it’s money I can pay.” He rummaged his haversack, taking one of the unused coin pouch — the one with one hundred gold coins each inside still. The weight almost made him spilled it. But with a great effort, he lifted it up, presenting the glittering one and a half kilo of pure gold.

“No human, your coin is useless here,” she shook her head. “But worry not, brother had insisted that he shall, for this time only, allow you to personally cross by his own expense.”

“No, no, no.” he waved his hand, mortified. The heck, he was thankful, but incurring debt to an otherworldly spirit. God. No. No. “I mean thank you, I really am, but — but if you don’t want coins, then — what do you want? I might have it.” Maybe. He stored lots of things in the inventory. And why wouldn’t he? It was convenient.

“Water.”

“Water?” He looked toward the window, at the lake and beyond, incredulous. Was she for real? There was like, he didn’t know, a lake worth there?

“No. Not just any water.” she rolled her eyes at his line of sight, obviously chastising his naivete. “The water paid could not be tainted. It may touch earth but not be fouled by it. It may be surrounded by air, but not in the middle of it. It should be pure and possess nothing but itself and mana.”

“There something like that?”

“Well, no.” she shook her head. “Most of your ‘captains’ paid using your people small mana stone or on special occasions, mana water crystal.”

“Oh I have that,”—what a relief, if that all, he had several pebbles stored for—“how much?”

“Two hundred count.”

“Two hundred wha—”

“Or two pieces of water mana crystal.”

The pouch slumped back to his haversack. Two hundred pebbles? That— no, no it was still acceptable. After all it was only twenty golds — and he was about to offer one hundred to her—was that even sustainable? One trip costing twenty gold? No. It must be ‘cost’ for friends and allies. The regular captain should only pay a fraction of — focus Euca! Focus! He left most of the pebbles on the store, the rest had gone to Ed for keeping the light on the mansion. What he had here right now were about 
 twenty seven pieces. 

That wasn’t enough. Far from enough.

What should he do? Should he really incur debt with the sprite? He meant he could pay it back of course, triple with interest if it needed to be. But he rather— wait! 

“Umm, I don’t have the pebbles or the crystal but,” —he plunged his hand into the far oft corner of system inventory, reaching a clinking glass that stoppered by a custom-made cork lined in gold sheet— “I have this.”

“That!” He almost fell. Lotus of water, tendril as thin as gossamer, sprouted from the sister sprite, sweeping up the erlenmeyer off his hand. His hand wet, he was surprised that the woman uncorked the stopper with, how could he put it, utmost reverence. Yes, that. It was too stark with the way she swept the erlenmeyer off him. Around her the water lotus, cushioned the erlenmeyer by layers, tens, maybe hundreds, making sure it propped up stable. With most careful motion, her hyphae slowly grasped the stopper, rotating the lined gold cork to left before propping it up in the air. Then one of her water slither, her tendril, crept inside, reaching the edge of the glowing blue water — his failed experiment.

He had left the beaker with the pin for three days. Which was triple the supposedly alloted observation duration in the height of you knew, the spying ‘incident’. When he came back, he found that the mana mist was somehow had been absorbed by the distilled water. Leaving only perhaps 5 to 7% original mana concentration, just a shy from ambient. He appraised it of course, and the result was — surprising.

[Mana-aspected Distilled Water]

Distilled water that filled with mana from the surrounding environment.

[Otherworldy Traveler]

????

[Alchemy]

???? (Alchemy level is too low)

Questions marks, lots of it. He never saw anything like that. So as any good researcher would, he stored the specimen inside a good stasis chamber where the time didn’t pass — his inventory. This erlenmenyer was one of the two flasks he owed. And while it was regrettable for him having to give it up (he did intend to run few experiments with it). He could certainly reproduce the condition which the mana-water formed. And with more careful observation this time.

“Nadir’s ravine, sister! Is—is that?”

“No, no
 It is alike. Very similar, but — but no.” she slowly corked the bottle again, returning it to him. “The aura is different.”

“Human can you give this to us?!”

“Brother!”

“I don’t mind? But I really need—”

“To cross, right? Then we have a deal!” Wait! He didn’t even have the chance to protest. The brother had swept up his erlenmeyer and floated to the center of the steering wheel. Throwing both of his arms in as if the solid was made of water.

At once he did that, Euca saw lines of lines burst from the steering wheel, its blue shines flashed for a second, enveloping the ship in runes and geometric he had never seen before. It settled in an instant however, leaving only a slightly higher note of motes in a fuzzy-like line when he switched to sense. What stark was by the second the mana explosion disappeared, whirls. He heard whirls. Reverberating, shaking the room as if he was but ten centimeters tall and stood inside a flushing sink. Front, back; front, back, jagged left; sharp right as the ship moved. It lasted for a whole ten seconds before he, his eye shrunk, thrown back into the wall. The ship was accelerating in an instant — galloping toward the lake.

And as water mist slapping his face from the opened window, as the manic, not exactly sane sprite steering the ship, he looked morosely to the mana-water. It was not that he didn’t want to give them the water, he could make those again. 

He just wanted his erlenmeyer back.

 

Hi everyone, don't forget to leave comments, ratings, or reviews. Each and every of your feedback is appreciated. Here is the link to the front page for your convenience.

0