Chapter 11
224 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Roaaaarrrrr!"

Esterosa and Liselotte stared at the monster in front of them, they knew that this was not a simple monster from it's size alone.

Liselotte has met with all kinds of being in her adventure but this creature in front of her surpassed all of them. It's not a dragon, demon, nor a devil, not to mention divine beings.

In the past she tried to subdued the Dragon Emperor but failed. She managed to escape with her life barely hanging on, but that experience showed her clearly how arrogant she has been, and until now she can never imagine a scenario where she able to triumph over the Dragon Emperor.

But this being, who clearly still not in it's complete form, emanates pressure far more than the Dragon Emperor. She instinctively know she can never survive if she fight against it.

Must run.

Such thoughts keep repeating in her mind over and over.

She can clearly hear the chaos unfolding in the distance, probably from fear and panic because of this being. If she, the strongest adventurer this city has, scared so bad she wanted to run away immediately, how bad it is for the common folks?

At that moment her sister spoke.

"Lise, run away quickly. I will buy you time as much as possible."

She looked to the side and her sister stood there with unwavering gaze without a hint of intention to run away. She smiled to herself seeing this.

As expected, sis is really cool.

"If I run, who will accompany you sis? We will never abandon each other remember?"

Her sister probably wanted to buy time not only for her, but the entire citizens of the Goldrift City to evacuate and she can't just sit back and watch her sister sacrifice herself.

It's stupid.

She knew it's stupid to throw away her life for other people because many of those people aren't deserved to be saved. She didn't care even if the world is destroyed as long as she can live with her sister. But it's not the same case for Esterosa.

She already consider this city as their home.

As someone who already lost her home once, she can never bear to  lost it once again, that's why she will protect it whatever the cost.

Esterosa stared at her sister eyes for a moment and she understood her sister won't leave no matter the case.

"...I see..."

Both of them smiled at each other.

Esterosa faced the monster, raised her sword in front of her and grip it firmly.

"Oath, I'm the one who will purge evil, and my resolve will never bend or break by the corruption in my heart. I will burn brightly in the darkness, untill the last tinder of my life."

Flame rose from under her feet to her sword and finally enveloped her entire body and suddenly a vermillion bird appeared behind and embrace her.

Liselotte stared wide-eyed by the scene in front of her, she never knew her sister capable of doing this.

When the flame subsided Esterosa appeared wearing a crimson full-plate armor and an impressive crimson long-sword which make Liselotte agape seeing her.

"...Sis, since when did you...?"

Esterosa turned her head and look toward her with a fearless smile on her face.

"I will disqualified as your older sister if I can't do at least this much right?"

She chuckled at that answer.

What Esterosa just did is called Oath Of Wandering Souls, an ability used by borrowing powers of a high-ranking being through an oath that can be done by only a handful of people. For the past 150 years, only 1 person confirmed to have this ability and he was the one of the most famous hero in history, Arden Wright.

It is said the oath to awaken the power from this ability is imprinted in the souls of the person since before they born. Nobody know just what kind of being who lend their powers to the people who have this ability is. Some people say it's god while the others speculated it was devil, in any case there's no clear answer.

Perhaps noticing the change, the giant creature in front of them turn it's head towards them.

"Well then, I hope you won't drag me down sis."

"Fufu, what a cheeky little sister."

Both of them rushed towards it without any hesitation.

•••

At the same time in all over the world. 

The forest shuddering, the ocean became turbulent, and the mountain is rumbling.

All the powerful beings in this world is in turnoil. Just a few moments ago, they all felt the presence of an invader appearing in this world.

Somewhere in a cave on the mountain.

A pair of gold reptillian eyes opened wide.

"Roooaaarr!!"

A majestic white dragon woke up from it's slumber. He's one of the most powerful beings still in existence, the Dragon Emperor.

"After 12.000 years, an Invader appeared again."

Many otherworldly beings are stranded to or visit this world from time to time. But usually those beings didn't pose too much threat to the world itself on the contrary a handful of them help with the development of civilization in this world and they called Outlander.

But 12.000 years ago, a giant serpent appeared and threaten this world survival. It's size was so huge the the mountains just seem to be a mere pillow for it. Although it appeared in a terribly wounded state, it's power is in a diferent dimension on it's own.

At that time all the powerful beings, including deities, devils, gods, and demi-gods present in this world banded together to defeat it. The battle last for a long time and the world almost collapsed because of it, but even after many sacrificed, they didn't manage to kill it. In the end they opened a portal to different dimension and manage to banish it there.

The fear felt from that incident are still ingrained in the survivor's memory even after 12.000 years, and the Dragon Emperor is one of those survivors.

"This presence is a lot more weaker than that serpent, but it's still something dangerous considering how the World is warning me."

He gazed outside of his cave while growling.

•••

"Hmm?"

Alfred suddenly looked back and frowned. Keith who walk behind him confused by his sudden behavior.

"Is something the matter Al?"

"No... I just felt an ominous feeling just now."

He didn't think about it too deeply and continued walking. Keith approached him and spoke in a small voice.

"Your highness, what should we do with that girl? She's not uttered a single word at all since yesterday."

Both of them glanced at the girl behind them who walk with a blank look on her face. Alfred tried to talk to her many times but she didn't react to anything like a lifeless doll.

Alfred close his eyes for a moment.

"Let her be, I'm sure she experienced something horrible."

"Well, even an idiot will be able to notice that seeing her condition."

"More importantly, how long do you think we can reach our destination?"

Keith pondered a bit before responded.

"I think in our current pace we can arrive in a week at most."

Alfred nodded.

Rio, I don't know what you're planning, but I will chase you no matter where you are.

•••

"Huff... Huff... Huff..."

Behind a ruined building, Goldberg sat and leaned on the walls while clutching the wound on his body. His right arm is missing and his left leg is broken.

What... Have I done...?

An image of a young man flashes passed his mind.

He met him when he tried to board a carriage to this city a few days ago, he seems desperate to get to this city as fast as possible. He dressed like a shady person but his guts telling him that he just a little strange and not a dangerous person so he decided to help him.

On his way here, he ask the young man to tell Goldberg about himself, and he really told him surprisingly.

After listening to his story, he assumed that his not caring attitude come from where he lives previously and he thought,"He might actually a nice person if he didn't live in the slums."

He immediately became close to him. The young man never try to strike a conversation, but he always responded with whatever topic you bring up with him.

One night he suddenly brought a little girl back with him when he goes to the forest for a bit. After listening to his story, Goldberg still a bit skeptical so he ask him why.

He said he just gonna take care of her because he already bring her back with him but Goldberg notice the fear in his eyes and concluded that he was afraid the little girl will be in danger.

Ah..., he really is a nice guy after all.

A few days later he realized just how wrong he had been.

Earlier this day the city is in an uproar because the two guardian of this city is fighting someone in the plaza.

Both of them are very famous because one of them is a Gold ranked adventurer and the other one is a Knight Commander who always help people and never lose to any criminal no matter how dangerous they are.

The adventurers guild mobilized all the manpower they can use to help with evacuation because it was said that the opponent is someone very strong.

Goldberg and his party is present so they naturally participate to help with the evacuation.

He and his party members was shocked whe he saw the fight. It was because the opponent is the young man from before.

Why?

What happened?

Is his intention is to bring harm to this city?

His mind filled with many questions.

He supressed all the emotion in his heart and continue helping the citizens to evacuate.

Not long after, It appeared.

It was a monster beyond monsters.

The moment he laid his eyes upon it, fear rose from the depth of his very being. He panic and wanted to run from this place no matter what it takes. But he soon came to his senses whe he saw his childhood friend blasted the people in front of her regardless who they are with her face filled with terror.

She who has always been kind to anyone, she who always speak wearing a tender smile on her face, she who always told him to never use his strength to oppressed the weak, is now looks more like a lunatic running wild. In fact it's not just her that's became mad, but everyone, every single person in Goldrift city became mad the moment the monster appeared.

He supressed the fear in his heart with all his might.

He wanted to get away from that place and run after Tiara but noticed there's someone holding onto his clothes.

"Shirley!?"

He looked back and shocked to saw Shirley. Her breathing is haggard and her face is filled with tears and she even wet herself.

He didn't have any time to calm her down so he grabbed her hands and was about to run, but suddenly an explosion occured and he got blown far away.

He endured the pain and get up. He realized he still holding Shirley's hand. 

"Ugh... Shirley are you al-"

He looked to the side to check on her, but before he can finishes his sentence he saw that the hand he's holding has nothing from the wrist up.

"U-uwah!!"

He got up immediately and run.

His mind is chaotic.

He run and run aimlessly before suddenly got blown away once again, leading to his current state.

It's my fault, all of this is my fault. If only I didn't bring him with me...

While such thoughts filled his mind, a shadow appeared before him.

"Do you want power?"

The shadow spoke in a hollow voice. In his hazy conciousness he realized the thing in front of him is most likely a devil.

"Don't you want revenge to the one who caused this tragedy?"

"If so, I can give you power if you make a contract with me. Do you want it?"

He wants it. He wants to kill the man who caused all of this.

"I-"

Just as he was about to answer, a childhood memory come to his mind.

"Goldberg do you know why you're strong?"

"Of course, it's because I'm talented."

"No! You're wrong!"

"What do you mean I'm wrong? Even the villagers always saying that I'm strong because I am talented."

"Gununu... You're wrong! You're wrong! You're wrong! In any case, you are wrong!!"

"Ugh... Fine. Then why is it?"

"You're strong because you're fated to become a hero that protect many people!"

"Eh... I don't want to."

"But why!?"

"Because it's sounds like a real hassle."

"Hmm... then... Use it for me."

"Huh?"

"Use it to protect me instead."

"Why?"

"Because I'm planning to become an adventurer someday and see lot of places in the world."

"..."

"Beside... I love seeing how strong you are after you give it your all."

He can still recall clearly the smile she has that day.

"I... I'd rather die... than to receive it."

"...foolish human."

The shadow disappeared and he ploped down to the ground.

Suddenly glowing tree roots appeared from the ground then wrapped itself around his body and dragged him underground.

•••

Ughh... I feel dizzy.

I opened my eyes and  found myself in a white space. I got up and looked around but found nothing in sight.

While still feeling confused, a voice sounded.

"Hey, you finally awake."

I turned my head to the source of the voice and found Ral*f- oh no, a handsome young man dressed in a white garment.

The moment I saw him, combined with this white space I soon realized the situation I'm in.

Ahh... So it's that kind of development.

I died.

.

.

.

I have no excuses. I fell asleep and forgot to upload this chapter yesterday. Sorry about that.

9