Chapter 1 – Undying resolve
538 10 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don't believe in magic

This is a statement that I will always live by. Yes, I just died and am now reincarnated as a baby in what I can only perceive as a magical world.

 

 How do I know that you ask?

 

Because my mother, who currently looks like a hazy brown-haired figure sprawled down on a bed, isn't holding me. Instead, I'm floating in the air. Yup, my tiny body is being levitated somehow while a grumpy looking old man, probably a doctor, is inspecting me ever so thoroughly.

 

This is really weird. I don't understand a thing that is being said, nor am I able to see clearly. I can't even move! Is this what it feels to be a newborn? This is too much. Not only was I reincarnated, the existence of the force that can only be explained as magic levitating me is very disturbing. I'm feeling drowsy, let's just sleep and forget it all….

 

*WHAM*

 

@a&#?! That damned doctor just smacked my backside, and he thinks he can get away with this?! Hey mom, aren't you watching this injustice? I tried screaming at the top of my lungs for my mother's attention and all that came out was a wail that sounded like a baby crying. Oh right...I AM a baby after all.

 

Thankfully, after this predicament, I was gently let down to the warm embrace of my mother. Away from the clutches of that evil doctor and his 'magic' that totally is some sort of cheap trick.

 

I kept hearing some gibberish that I assume is something about me being born healthy judging from the light tone of speech between the demon (doctor) and my mother.

 

 I of course didn't care and simply closed my eyes and drifted away to dreamland.

 

*****************************************************

 

A couple of months have passed since then. During that time, all I did was normal baby stuff such as…. nothing really.

 

 I mean I literally couldn't do anything to help clarify the situation when my hearing and vision were that of a newborn child. I depended solely on my mother's care to survive during that time while some other figures held me every now and then. At least nothing close to magic was around…. until now.

 

I currently had the ability to move my head around and my vision got better so naturally I made a real attempt to inspect the room I was in.

 

As expected, the baby room had a medieval feel to it with no modern technology in sight other than the ceiling lamp. I was laying down a crib that…

 

 wait hold on… ceiling lamp?

 

I don't see a flame so how does it work? Assuming that the technology in this world is rudimentary then that can only mean one thing. Magic

 

No! I don't believe in magic! That cursed lamp that existed all this time will never waver my heart!

 

Apparently, my temper tantr- I mean, my sudden revelation caused enough noise to make my babysitter check on me. That's right I got a babysitter all this time and I didn't even notice. You can't blame me though; she had the same honey-brown hair as my mother!

 

"What's wrong little Max?" the maid-looking babysitter asked as gently as possible. My hearing has improved, and I can somehow understand what is being said since it is definitely in English. Though I can't answer back even when I tried my damned hardest to tell, no, order her to remove the 'magical' lamp out of my sight.

 

Instead, she just checked my diaper, concluded that nothing wrong was going on, then left right after pinching my cheeks calling me cute or whatever. I got used to this treatment long ago, but I was still in a crisis caused by the scientifically unexplainable light source.

 

It shouldn't work, there is no way some object can constantly glow that brightly for such a long time. The room I'm in has no windows so it's not like I can trick myself to believe that the lamp absorbs sunlight as an energy source. The light is coming from an orb of some sort with no visible cables so of course no electricity.

 

Wait... maybe... How could I be so stupid?

 

 What if this world, instead of being a medieval one with magic, is actually a futuristic world with sci-fi technology? That would explain everything. Although the room doesn't look futuristic, this isn't actually proof that the world is underdeveloped. It's not like a baby room needs a computer.

 

 The crib I'm in, the chair, table, box containing toys, and closet are all pretty satisfactory for a baby like me. Yes, the furniture is made of wood, but thinking about it, the wood is definitely high quality and better than any cheap plastic product.

 

While I was having my great moment of enlightenment, the door suddenly opened and a brown-haired boy who I assume is my older brother ran towards my crib with a wide smile on his face followed by the babysitter who frowned after seeing that I was totally shocked.

 

"Calm down young master Alex, you are scaring poor Max. He will cry if you continue" she said.

 

"Ah I'm sorry, I was just too excited to show my little brother what I just learned. He'll definitely have a good reaction." The boy swiftly replied to the babysitter.

 

Before I could make out what was going on, an orb of light that was similar to the lamp, came straight out of the giggling boy's right hand. I quietly stared at the phenomenon.

 

 I kept staring, not moving a muscle.

 

 Alex who was looking at me waiting for a reaction then innocently asked "Hey Max, you think the magic light sphere I created is cool, right?"

 

...Having my entire justification for this world collapse, perish, then blown away right in front of me, I decided to just close my eyes and deny it all.

 

Alex shook me a bit and said something about waking up before the babysitter finally had enough and dragged him away, or I think that's what happened as my eyes were closed and I didn't care. All I wanted was to believe this was just a dream.

 

*****************************************************

 

I am now around two years old. I haven't been keeping track of time, but my family surely did as I am currently having my second birthday party. I now somehow understand my current life/family situation.

 

 I have a mother called Sarah, a pretty noble lady with a fit body and delicate white skin, and a father called Magnus, a man who looks a bit old but tough with a muscular build and is a little tanned.

 

For siblings, I got Alex, who is currently an eight-year-old boy with an excitable personality, as the second son of the family while I'm the third son. Apparently, I have another brother called Jack who is currently studying somewhere called 'The First Royal Academy' in the royal capital.

 

My family is a noble one that is quite high among its peers. I think my father's title is 'Duke Phoenix' or something, I didn't actually get to hear it that much.

 

Enough about that boring stuff, what's important is that I'm having a birthday party which is something that I only got to enjoy in my childhood from my last life. Since I'm living in quite a grand mansion, albeit a bit too ‘magical’ for my taste and I'd love to demolish it, the whole happy atmosphere is quite enjoyable…

 

"Max! Hey Max! look here, say Alex. Come on, A-L-E-X."

 

My annoying pest of a brother started repeating his name to me expecting me to actually listen to him. I started to regret making myself look like some genius baby by saying 'mama' to my mother Sarah a month ago.

 

Although her reaction was very amusing to say the least, crying tears of joy while telling Magnus about how amazing I am

Spoiler

He didn't react.

[collapse]

, the instance Alex knew of my achievement, he raised Hell.

 

I am not overreacting. That monster used the most abominable torture methods trying to make me say his name.

 

When I tried to sleep, he stood right next to my crib constantly repeating his name like a broken record as if he was trying to hypnotize me. Now that I think about it, that was definitely his intention.

 

Don't even get me started on how he threatened me with his magical shenanigans, with excuses like 'Max definitely will love this spell!'. But I will never falter! His magic is the biggest reason I refuse to humor him!

 

"Alex stop trying to force Max to say something when you are clearly scaring him."

 

Thankfully, my angel of a mother saved the day and after urging Alex apologize to me (I don't forgive him though), the day went smoothly. Sarah held me the whole time, Magnus gave a speech to the guests that I didn't care about, and Alex played around with some kids.

 

*****************************************************

 

I am now three years old, almost four. I'm able to walk and actually eat solid food. Although that's not what's important. Firstly, my mother is pregnant so I'm finally graduating from being the youngest member of the family.

 

Now that that's out of the way, here is what's actually important. I'm going to get a test called 'Soul Depth measurement' which, essentially, shows my potential to become a mage.

 

I will not let that stand! I don't believe in magic even if it exists! there must be a gimmick somewhere. The stories about Demon Kings flattening cities with great dark spells and heroes creating swords of light out of nothing must have some sort of inconsistency. It's just that I have to find it!

 

"Young master Max, I understand you must be nervous about the test, but please relax. The Phoenix family's blood guarantees that you will at least score higher than 60."

 

The babysitter, who’s apparently my personal maid called Sisley, said that in an attempt to comfort me even though I was a toddler who shouldn't understand most of what she said. However, that's not the problem. The thing is-

 

I DON'T WANT TO BE A MAGE.

 

The young maid, noticing that I actually got paler, misunderstood even further, and continued her explanation.

 

"Soul Depth score shows the amount of mana you are able to access proportionally to magic control. Anything less than 10 is considered inept, between 10 and 30 is average, any score greater than 30 is enough for a mage, and scores higher than 50 easily makes you a genius in the arcane arts. Since you are a part of the phoenix family, a historically significant one that is famous for producing the best mages in the kingdom of Lanthanum, it is highly unlikely to score lower than 60 due to the fact that there was never a record of a Phoenix who got lower than that. Don't even mention getting a score lower than 50, something like that is considered impossible."

 

Wow, Sisley, you really went deep into explaining something I never wanted to know yet was taught plenty of times. I even read a book about it myself when I sneaked into my father's study trying to find flows within this seemingly 'miraculous' magic.

 

Of course, that plan was shut down quickly when Sisley found out that a toddler messed around the master's private study.

 

I did, however, find out that the soul measurement thing is done with a crystal held in mage towers around Lanthanum which works by a simple list of steps:

  1. A mage casts a very specific spell that sends a 'wave' of mana through the soul
  2. The wave, having a certain high frequency, then starts losing power as it travels further into the soul
  3. Once the wave hits the soul's limit, it is reflected back losing further power
  4. By the time the wave gets out, it would have a lower frequency
  5. The wave is then detected and interpreted by the crystal as a number

 

This creates some theoretical limits. The wave can't return with a higher frequency as at the very best (or worst), someone who has 0 Soul Depth will instantly reflect the wave losing no power and its frequency is the same as it was cast. This is why Soul Depth can't go negative.

 

 The opposite is also true, since if someone had very high Soul Depth, the wave would simply completely dissipate and is never detected in the first place. This makes it impossible to detect Soul Depth higher than 100; the maximum value that the crystal can detect.

 

There is also the problem about how it isn't precise since it only measures in whole numbers, any fractions are either rounded up or down.

 

Why did I list all this theoretical nonsense about some test I hate? Obviously to prove that this is all, in fact, complete nonsense just like anything related to magic. It's a faulty device that is as much of a sham as all other magic! I will not stand for this!

 

"Young master?"

 

Crap, I got too deep in thought that I forgot about Sisley’s existence.

 

"I'm fine"

 

 I answered briefly as to not raise suspicion about my status being a reincarnator then rested on my bed hoping to make her go away.

 

Sisley proceeded to stroke my hair, which surprised me, then went on her merry way back to her assigned station outside my room. This devious maid touched me without my permission and left before I could even complain. Are all maids like that?

 

I wouldn't know as I pretty much never interacted with anyone other than Sisley, Alex, Sarah, and (rarely) Magnus. At least she never used magic, unlike a certain fool of a brother.

 

*****************************************************

 

The time has arrived, I got a new little sister a week ago, but that's not that important relative to what I'm currently going to face. Today is my fourth birthday. My mother is happily picking expensive-looking ceremonial clothes for me to wear, my brother is more energetic than ever before, and my father is... still the same as ever.

 

Magnus always had a calm demeanor and rarely showed emotion, keeping an unreadable expression on his perpetually tired looking face. But for me, this day is going to be my doom.

 

"Come on Max, my child, brighten up. The Soul Depth measurement test is going to be your first step to become a great mage like your father, ok?"

 

I felt my mother's right hand on my shoulder giving me a gentle look. It felt like all my worries melted away for a moment, only to smash back at me when I realized what her words of 'comfort' implied.

 

Seriously, no one ever suspected that I don't want any filthy magic, I definitely have to clear things up very soon if I want to live a peaceful life. The only reason I didn't scream at Alex about how much I despise his miserable daily magic show because it will totally blow my cover. But after the test, I'm determined to speak up.

 

Just when Sarah finally finished taking her sweet time dressing me up, I was guided by Sisley to the main gate of the mansion. This was the first time ever to exit this magical prison. Yeah, I sometimes visited the front yard, but I never got to go further than that, so I had absolutely no idea what I was going to see while riding a wagon pulled by some questionable looking horses-

 

Hold up, that horse has six legs? Anyway, hopefully no magic is involved, I was subjected to plenty of that already.

 

Surprisingly, the journey was peaceful. Even while the whole family sat in the carriage, nobody talked. The wagon was a bit rocky, sure, but that's to be expected of medieval technology. Other than that, all I saw was a sea of green grass and a great wall of trees in the distance. The Phoenix mansion is pretty isolated from the rest of Osmium, the city where the magic tower I will be tested resides.

 

Eventually, the wagon reached the city. As expected, nothing like modern civilization, but it does kinda have its charm. The streets are lively with a bunch of shops and street stalls facing the road. Best of all, no sign of any sort of magic!

 

"Oh, hey look Max, that's the magic tower! Look over there, see?"

 

I was rudely interrupted by Alex who playfully pointed at a tall stone spiral with a giant blue crystal floating above it. And that was what completely ruined my immersion.

 

The entire building was dedicated to magic, I can see some people wearing eccentric yellow robes outside the entrance. These are clearly mages, AKA clowns who dabble with useless tricks.

 

The carriage stopped in front of the entrance and I was forcefully pulled out by an excited Alex as if this is some kind of field trip. I had no choice, I desperately looked everywhere, anywhere for even a single clue to get as far as possible from this place. There must be something! Unfortunately, my brother's grip was so tight it hurt, and my parents stood by my side while Sisley stayed behind me. I was surrounded.

 

After accepting my fate, I was led inside the ominous structure.

 

 "Welcome Duke Magnus Phoenix, the Soul Depth measurement is ready. I will immediately guide you to the test room."

 

A blue-robed woman appeared out of thin air and talked to my father, or at least I think she's a woman judging from the voice, I can't see her face behind the hood of the obviously oversized robe she's wearing.

 

My father gave a nod to the ghost completely disregarding how she came into existence and we all followed her to a very sinister room. It was shaped as a hexagon with some sort of runes carved all over the floor. A single small crystalline pyramid sat on a white stone(?) table in the exact center of the room.

 

In my perspective, this looks similar to what you might call a sacrificial room made to summon some horrible abomination from the depths of Hell. The blue-robed cultist said something to my parents that I couldn't hear then finally started to approach me.

 

This is it. My second life is going to end as a human sacrifice. I knew it, their blasted magic tricks are powered by the blood of the innocent!

 

Completely ignorant to my thoughts, the cultist then took off her hood, finally revealing her face. She was a blond, middle-aged looking woman caked in makeup.

 

Is she aware that the lipstick she applied covered more than just her lips?

 

The woman gave me a meaningful look with her light blue eyes before crouching down and spoke to me.

 

"You must be Max. My name is Lily. I will perform your test, ok?"

 

Her words were simple, possibly to accommodate for the fact I'm still a four-year-old kid. All I did was nod and Lily then led me towards the stone table.

 

My first great challenge in this life is right in front of me. While I was trying to calm myself down, Lily took my hand and expertly moved it to touch one side of the crystal.

 

She must've done it a thousand times already with other kids, but I'm currently on the verge of a panic attack. I did everything to learn about how the test works yet I still have many doubts.

 

Are magic waves radioactive? Does messing with my soul capable of causing permanent damage? Will I actually be sacrificed instead?

 

Lily then proceeded to put her hand on the opposite side of the crystal pyramid and recited some gibberish that caused the crystal to pulse. I'm scared.

 

I look to my left; I saw Alex and Sisley both watching with anticipation as if this is some kind of movie. I look to my right; Sarah is smiling, yet for some reason she is holding Magnus's hand awfully tightly.

 

Clearly, she was a bit nervous as a mother, this is supposedly a big day for her son. Magnus, who is next to her was...why does his expression never change?

 

Lily finally removed her hand off of the crystal and I followed. Don't want to keep my hand near that thing anymore.

 

The pyramid shone for a second and then, after what felt like an eternity *ping* it made a weird sound then projected a number... wait, that can't be right! Something is definitely wrong.

 

 I moved my head around, desperately trying to find someone who can explain.

 

Alex kept staring with his mouth open, as if frozen in time, while Sisley was tearing up. Sarah was being supported by Magnus as she’d just lost consciousness.

 

Oh, I think I see some confusion in his eyes, now that's rare.

 

Lily who is right in front of me had a terrified expression as if she was looking at her own result. It's not like I can blame her, since the number that is floating for all eyes to see is an unexplainable -7.

 

This result surprised me a bit, it should be impossible, yet the number is pretty clear.

 

This is WONDERFUL.

 

Yes! I was confident I'd get a low result as my soul technically isn't like the rest of my family. Though I've gotta admit, I was very nervous, but I've never believed in magic all this life and my undying resolve must've impressed whatever deity that sent me here and decided to grant this miracle to me.

 

Wait, aren't miracles magic?

 

 

 

That day, which was supposed to be filled with happiness and celebration, had been instead swallowed by gloom and grief. An event that should've never happened will now haunt the Phoenix family for the foreseeable future…

 

Except for the child who vehemently rejected magic. He found that same event was the best thing to happen in his new life which will pave the way to a magicless life.

 

 

 

 

or will it?

 

If you made it this far, I thank you for reading the first chapter of this humble passion project.

You are free to give any sort advice to make the story better. Though anything that messes with the plot is a no-no.

Other than that, please look forward to future chapters. This is just the beginning after all. :)

13