Chapter 6 – A Good Brother
207 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I lost my cool that day.

 

I knew that Alice's result had the possibility to come out over 100, meaning that the Soul Depth score is so high that it wasn't registered. Yes, I had a feeling this might happen, yet I still lost my cool.

 

dammit, even after two years, the impact is still there. It also doesn't help that the latis-something guy, who's now my sister's magic tutor, used every possible chance to brag about how amazing she is.

 

A lot has happened during these two years, so let's start from the beginning. After I made a scene when Alice's result was confirmed, my family immediately went back home and Magnus decided to keep the Soul Depth score hidden from public until she grows up and is able to use her powers effectively.

 

My brother Alex was sent to the Royal Academy right after we went back home. Apparently, he was supposed to leave a week ago but Magnus delayed the trip so that Alex can join in witnessing the Soul Depth measurement.

 

I would say that things got lonelier, which I would have liked, however-

 

"Oh Max, this bowtie perfectly fits you! Maybe if I comb your hair to the side, you'll look even better? Let's try it out!"

 

The person who is using me as a dress up doll is Sarah. Since Alice’s test, my mother has been paying a lot of attention to me, a stark contrast to how she treated me before when she just cried and ran away saying 'sorry'. Though she still cries like a little girl whenever I mention magic, so it's prohibited to mention the cursed word in front of her.

 

Not gonna lie, my mother has a good fashion sense. Looking in the mirror, my appearance really has a 'noble' feel to it.

 

"Alright Max, I'd love to continue pampering you, but it's starting to get late. I don't want to make you late for your lessons after all."

 

Finally! For some reason, these sessions with Sarah feel like they last an eternity. I walked through the hallway leading to the garden, which is now my new 'classroom' because it's more 'open' as a certain beast-kin said.

 

"Ah young cub! You came here real early, so much so that I didn't have enough time to think about what to teach you!"

 

"Yeah yeah, whatever. What is the progress on the formation of my regiment?"

 

"Regiment? You mean the knight order? Don't give me that look young master, it's not my fault that Master Magnus decided to make it on such a large scale for a little cub like you. I thought you were, at most, going to lead a small platoon! Now I have to teach things not even the Royal Academy has in its curriculum to a 10-year-old. You are smart, aren't you? You know better than anyone else about how much work I need to put so that things go smoothly. Please don't tell your father that I am slacking!"

 

I shrugged, as long as you do your job, I won't complain. The problem is that Hunter always works half-heartedly if I don't keep a constant eye on him. Saying that, I'm really grateful that the topics he teaches rarely contain information about magic.

 

Mages almost never have a role in a military formation because of the risk of friendly-fire. They usually act alone or in a small group such as an adventurer party, their high firepower and long range makes them effective in solo missions and act as a support.

 

That's what the sheeple think.

 

The truth is that mages are horribly expensive toys and are almost always never worth investing in. Out of the 2,000 recognized clowns in Lanthanum, half of them are specialized in non-combat magic. Out of the 1,000 who do have offensive capabilities, only 300 work for the army. The number of military mages who can cast high-rank spells can be counted on ten fingers.

 

The amount of money the kingdom burns to fuel magical education? 500 platinum coins. That's 10% of the nation's annual budget only for a pathetic number of mages to be of any use.

 

Disgusting

 

After a lesson about how to keep an army fed, I went to Alice's room. This is something I've been doing frequently to help cancel out the effect of brainwashing that my poor sister is subjected to by Latis.

 

"Hi brother! You were right about how dangerous being in a combat stance is. Thanks for warning me, you are the bestest! By the way, can you remind me why I can't use the spells that Mister Latissimus shows me? He looked really angry when I told him that you prohibited me from using magic."

 

Damn, it seems like the balding clown is teaching her things quicker than I expected.

 

"Oh Alice, your tutor is actually a bad person, the spells he keeps trying to make you use are actually completely useless with no practicality."

 

"Really?"

 

Oh no, her red puppy eyes don't seem entirely convinced. Looks like I have to finally pull out my trump card.

 

"Alright Alice, you know when I told you about going into Dad's study? We will do that right now!"

 

"EHHHHH!? Brother, you really are the bestest! I always wanted to go to your secret fun room, but all the servants tell me that I'm not supposed to go there, and the door is locked."

 

"Hehehe, my sweet little sister, I will definitely bring you to the 'fun room' today."

 

Now all I have to do is sneak Alice into the study and show her why magic is a scam once and for all!

 

To do that, I simply acted as a distraction for anyone who sees me going into the study while my sister reaches the door that I've unlocked beforehand. The plan went perfectly since Alice's small body made her very inconspicuous.

 

"Yay! I finally entered the fun room! There are so many books just like you told me, brother."

 

"Alright alright, stop hugging me and keep your voice down. We don't want the scary old maid to find out now, do we?"

 

"Ah, you’re right! Jessy can't know about this or she will scold me."

 

While Alice was curiously inspecting the room, I took the liberty to bring out the first book I've ever read, 'Mage Training 101'. It has a list of low-ranked spells including fireball, which is what I'm going to use as an example for how bad magic is.

 

"Ok Alice, sit down on this chair. I want to show you something."

 

Alice returned a book she was holding and obediently sat on the aforementioned chair before taking a peek at the book I was holding.

 

"Umm, brother, that book contains magical spells. Didn't you say that we shouldn't use magic?"

 

"This is exactly why I brought out this book, to show you how bad spells really are. Take a look at the magic formula of fireball, see how bad it is?"

 

"Oh Mister Latissimus taught me this one before! See?"

 

Alice conjured a perfectly spherical red orb the size of my head right before my eyes,. It looks so good that I almost puked.

 

"Great job Alice! This is exactly what you were NOT supposed to do."

 

"Eh really!?"

 

"Yes, just look at the magic formula. The spell has some great flows and is very dangerous to use."

 

I further explained to her that fireballs tend to miss a lot with the potential of friendly-fire while also being very easy to disrupt.

 

"Wow brother, I thought that you knew nothing about spells because you can't use them, but you already know flows that Mister Latissimus never told me about. You are the bestest brother!"

 

"Ok ok, calm down Alice or we really might get caught-"

 

"I unfortunately believe that you have already been caught."

 

My sister and I both freeze after hearing that chilly voice. We turn around at the same time, only to see a grumpy old maid giving us a stern look.

 

"Young Madam, you should know better than following your brother into the forbidden study. I have to report this incident to Master Magnus and Lady Sarah, please understand."

 

Huh? That's it? And here I was thinking that we would actually be punished. It's just going to end up as a light scold from Sarah and a nod of acknowledgement from Magnus at most. I completely relaxed after realising this fact, however…

 

"I'm sorry Jessy! It's my fault for being here! I'm so sorry!"

 

Alice desperately apologized with tears in her eyes. I'm such an idiot; my sister is a simple little girl who's never caused trouble before. She isn't a reincarnator like me, yet I selfishly ignored that fact and hurt her feelings.

 

I have to do something to act as a responsible big brother, or else my sister will hate me forever.

 

"Hey Jessy, there is no need for you to act like Alice has committed a crime. I'll go tell our parents myself about bringing my sister to the study. In fact, come with me, Alice, we will go to Dad's office right now."

 

"Ehh? Ehhhhhhh!?"

 

I forcibly drag Alice along as we make our way to Magnus's office before Jessy can complain. It breaks my heart that my crying sister keeps trying to escape from my grasp, but this is something that must be done.

 

"Max and Alice? Are you playing togethe- wait why are you crying!"

 

"Mama, I'm sorry!"

 

Sarah, who was standing next to Magnus, immediately rushed to Alice to hug her while asking about what was going on. I just ignored the sight and spoke to Magnus.

 

"Dad, Alice and I sneaked into your study."

 

"Is that so?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Ok, don't do it again."

 

Just like that, the situation has been diffused. Sarah calmed Alice down while saying that it's ok, and she succeeded as the 6-year-old girl stopped crying. I gave Alice a thumbs up then left with a smile thinking about how cool of a big brother I am.

 

"Brother, I hate you."

 

!?

 

"Pfffffft, haha! Got you! This is revenge for dragging me around like some sort of baggage."

 

Phew, that girl almost gave me a heart attack! I worked so hard to be the perfect big brother and everything would go down the drain if she hated me.

 

"Alright kids, it's getting late. How about you go to sleep now and play tomorrow?"

 

"Yes mom! Let's go brother."

 

Alice then grabbed my arm and dragged me away like some sort of baggage. How ironic.

 

***************************************************

 

Three months have passed since then, nothing changed much as far as I can tell. Aside from a certain rumor I heard going around about a sewage monster which overflows toilets in the middle of the night. I wonder what could've caused that.

 

"Young master, Lady Sarah is calling for you in the dining room."

 

"Ok, I am coming."

 

This is a bit early for the normal dress up session, though I don't mind it that much since there are no magical clothes that get used. I just hope that Sarah doesn't bring out the cat ears, I still cringe thinking about it.

 

"Good morning Max, take this seat next to me."

 

I obeyed my mother and sat down on the chair she was pointing at.

 

"Alright Max, this might sound a little scary to you since you don't like going outside, but King Lawrencium has decided that a celebration for your sister's talent must take place in his castle a week from now. Every member of our family has to turn up, including you."

 

Oh? That sounds wonderful! I have been imprisoned here for so long, so of course I'd want to go. I might even have a chance to convince a prince or two to join me as an ally against the magic conspiracy.

 

"Your father and I really tried our best to convince the king that you can't leave the mansion because of your circumstance. It's a shame that he wouldn't budge and might take it as an insult if you don't show up."

 

"Mom what are you saying? I am more than happy to visit the royal capital and meet with the king!"

 

"There's no need to push yourself, I'll make sure that you will get the least number of interactions possible."

 

Why is she so insistent that I don't want to go? I even ran away once because I wanted to be outside for once.

 

Oh right, she doesn't know about that.

 

"Don't worry, Sisley will teach you all that is needed for meeting royalty. Alex will also join us to the celebration so you can rely on him when I'm not around, ok?"

 

"Yes mom I understand."

 

I gave her a lazy nod and was about to stand up, then I felt a soft hand pull me back down.

 

"I'm not finished just yet. You need to wear clothes worthy of a ducal family, meaning that I need to take some measurements and choose the right attire for my little Max."

 

"Wait wait wait, don't you already know my measurements?"

 

Sarah silently gave me a really dangerous smile.

 

Help.

 

Welcome back readers!

This chapter was a little rushed since I didn't feel well yesterday, probably because I ate something bad. This is why there might be some errors around as I didn't have enough time to proofread. I'd be grateful if you point out any faults you see so that I can fix them. :)

9