Chapter 12 – Magic is Unfair
155 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The troops are ready. A total of fifty soldiers, who are mostly older than 16-year-olds, lined up and took a compact formation for marching a long distance. 24 sentinels, 15 snipers, and 11 chargers were selected to join me for the quests. Of course, there are 2 cannons which will be used as well, though the crew for the second cannon are newbies so I won't rely on them to hit a target during combat.

 

"Captain, let us review the plan. First, we shall march West into the Osmic forest and follow the trail leading to a small canyon where the goblins are rumored to be living in. Snipers will take the high ground and take out the lesser goblins, while the first sentinels will cover the snipers. The cannons will be escorted by the second sentinels which will be used to nullify the goblin shaman's magic shield. Chargers will clean up after that."

 

"Mhm. Then we will move southwards and find the shadow wolf."

 

Martin is really meticulous with formulating plans, almost as meticulous as Sisley with cleaning every nook and cranny. This is actually great since he can be a good replacement for Hunter who's currently doing some other tasks assigned by Sarah as punishment for his incompetence.

 

As I was about to give the command to move out, an annoying girly sound came out behind me.

 

"Brother! Let me come with you."

 

"How many times do I have to tell you, Alice. It is too dangerous for you to-"

 

"Mom said that I can go."

 

Eh!? That's impossible! Which mother would let her 8-year-old daughter join in a military operation?

 

And why are you wearing a charger's uniform!?

 

"Young master, it is true. Lady Sarah actually recommended the young lady to go with you to experience real combat."

 

Even Sisley is supporting this crazy idea? I really don't want any harm to come near my little sister. However, if what Sisley said is true, then I don't have a choice in that matter in the first place.

 

"Alright Alice, you can follow me. Remember this well, ok? Follow."

 

The girl just shrugged before standing next to me without answering back. I'm not too worried, though, since I can stop her before she does anything silly while she is by my side.

 

"Move out!"

 

I gave the order which caused all the soldiers to march as a single unit out of the fortress and into the forest. It is a bit crowded so there was a bit of trouble directing the troops without the help of Hunter due to their inexperience, but that will be fixed over time. Maybe I promote a couple of guys to be team leaders when the regiment expands in the future.

 

When I looked towards my right, Alice seemed troubled a little with the clearly oversized attire. She noticed my gaze and felt the need to justify herself.

 

"The armor isn't bad, ok? It's just a little uncomfortable because the anti-magical property interferes with my mana flow, which I'm not used to, is all. I'm definitely not going to hold you back, so don't stare at me like that!"

 

Was it that obvious? Nevermind, this is a perfect opportunity to show Alice how futile magic is right in front of her very eyes. Yes, I should think of this as an opportunity to fix my sister who has been sullied by mana so badly that she feels weird without it. Mana must be so addictive that mages can't live without it, and it also explains the Soul Corruption. Damn those clowns.

 

Around two hours have passed since we mobilized, the sun which is barely visible between the clouds indicates that it is the afternoon. We have arrived right on schedule, so I proceeded to relay orders for enacting the plan. The snipers and the first sentinels split off from us as they sneaked towards the highest vantage points near the edge of the canyon. The remaining soldiers followed me into the canyon where we will meet our targets.

 

13 green chimps were eating what I assume is meat behind a makeshift wall made out of sticks and random rocks. Goblins normally aren't smart enough to form barricades, but when they evolve into shamans the situation becomes different. Goblin shamans cover themselves with pretty much anything that contains mana which makes them end up wearing some disgusting monster skull and decorate themselves with magic crystals.

 

I spotted a conspicuous-looking goblin sitting under a tree while playing around with a stick which is probably its staff. When I confirmed the location of the goblin shaman, I gave the order to attack.

 

"I'm going in!"

 

An enthusiastic soldier recklessly charged in. Oh wait, that's not a soldier, that's Alice! How did she run so fast without me noticing anything?

 

I was about to order everyone to charge in and save my sister when-

 

*BOOM* *BAM* *KABOOM*

 

A flurry of fire missiles danced around the canyon as they homed in on all the goblins who ran around helplessly. Alice ignored the minions and headed towards the big boss. The goblin shaman desperately tried casting a spell but was suddenly interrupted when Alice quickly touched the ground, and a spark came out. The poor goblin's fate was sealed as the girl finished the monster off with a slash from her sword.

 

I literally did nothing. No one had the chance to do anything and just stared at the one-sided battle which was won by a little girl.

 

Is… Is that really the same magic I learnt about all these years? The fire missiles are so powerful and accurate that I believe even the anti-magic shields used by sentinels won't stand against them. What's even crazier is the fact Alice didn't enter a combat stance and casually used a high-rank elemental spell.

 

Why? How? Since when? What am I supposed to do to fight that? This is so unfair unfair unfair unfair unfair unfair

 

"Did you see that brother? I worked really hard and, under your guidance, created the ultimate magic system that doesn't contain the flaws of the inferior spells which Mister Latissimus taught me. Add in the null dust and there is practically nothing that can stand in my way! …Umm, are you ok, brother?"

 

 

"Let's move on to the shadow wolf."

 

I'm fine. There is no need to panic. There is no 'perfect' magic. All I have to do is find the flaws in the magic formula, cause all spells are trash.

 

"Captain."

 

"What is it, Martin?"

 

"... We have already reached the area where our target was last seen. Please give the order to search the region."

 

We're already here? I really am losing at. I have to suppress my emotions to finish the quest quickly.

 

"The cannons and the second sentinels will remain here. chargers, go and check the lake North of here. The remaining snipers and sentinels will spread out and comb through the foliage around the surrounding forest."

 

I would've liked to join in the search, but, for some reason, I can't think clearly. Even when using all my efforts, my eyes betray me as they lock on to the girl who is nervously fidgeting around.

 

"Ey captain, you seem down for some reason. Did the goblin shaman cast a curse on you before it died?"

 

Narko, who was busy cleaning a cannon, asked with a concerned voice.

 

"It's fine. Just a little nervous by how eerily quiet the forest is."

 

"Is that so? Alright, I guess."

 

I can't have my soldiers get worried in the middle of a mission so a random excuse will do for now. The problem is that it feels like I've been waiting forever yet the sun is still high in the sky. Can't we get this over with quickly?

 

"Ah! Look, brother, a smoke signal is coming from the direction where the chargers went. Let's go check it out!"

 

"No, you stay here with the second cannon crew."

 

"What! Why?"

 

"You already… finished the first quest so I want my troops to gain experience."

 

I can't let her ruin everything again. This is my fight, not hers.

 

"Martin, stay here with Alice, please. Narko will come with me and deal with the shadow wolf."

 

"As you wish, captain."

 

I'm thankful that Martin isn't the sort of person to constantly complain about everything I ask of him. I should give him a gift later.

 

We made our way through the greenery before reaching the lake where we spotted the chargers standing on the edge of it in a defensive formation. What confuses me is that the wolf wasn't there in the first place.

 

"CAPTAIN, GET OVER HERE, QUICK!"

 

A female cat-eared charger shouted once she noticed us. I didn't hesitate and guided the cannon to the group of soldiers. I'm not going to take chances with a wolf capable of melting with shadows.

 

"I'm sorry captain, but the monster is abnormally smart. We almost lost Jeffrey to a sneak attack when he poked a bush!"

 

Seriously? I thought monsters were supposed to be stupider than cattle. Seems like the books I've read aren't reliable sources, unfortunately.

 

"Captain, what's the plan of action?"

 

Hmm… We are up against an enemy capable of camouflaging itself with shadows then pounce at us when we least expect it. The wolf is definitely using a dark spell to keep itself hidden, so if I somehow am able to locate the magic formula, then the monster will lose its only advantage when I disable it.

 

No wait, who said that I have to locate the magic formula? I have enough null dust to erase all mana in a 160-meter zone. All I need to know is if the wolf is within that range.

 

"How far away do you reckon the shadow wolf is?"

 

"Ahh, I don't know. The monster is probably hiding in the tree line."

 

Nice, I can definitely reach the area which the cat-eared girl is pointing at. What's left to do is take out the null dust, get a large handful of it, and remove all magic that could exist.

 

I carefully followed the steps then touched the cannon next to me. With a swift swipe of my right hand, the black powder suddenly shone a bright green color that quickly changed into a dull brown one. I scanned the surroundings with squinted eyes looking for anything wolf shaped.

 

"Oh captain! I see it over that bush!"

 

Narko apparently had better vision than me and proved it by spotting an out-of-place black thing slowly sneaking under the shade of trees towards us. Looks like the wolf didn't notice as it continued relying on the now nullified camouflage spell.

 

"Quiet down, Narko. Act as if we don't see it and slowly aim the cannon towards the wolf's direction."

 

This is the perfect opportunity. An oblivious slow-moving enemy is essentially a practice target for Narko's cannon. I don't have much null dust remaining, but I doubt that the wolf has its magic shield up while not in a combat stance so what I have should be enough… Unless literally everything I have learnt was wrong.

 

Tensions were high as time slowly passed by. My fingers, already covered in null dust, were shaking a bit as the beast crawled nearer. The shadow wolf looked a lot more menacing than its gray counterpart when comparing their size, aura, and the blade-like claws sticking out from its paws.

 

The chargers were in worse shape since they've already witnessed how terrifying the monster is first-hand. I just hope that no one runs away out of fear during the painful wait.

 

Not yet… Not yet… Now!

 

"Fire!"

 

*BOOM*

 

Just as I've disrupted a basic magic shield that the wolf had cast on itself, Narko didn't waste any time and shot a cannonball at the creature with pinpoint accuracy. I expected a direct hit, yet my thoughts were betrayed as the wolf sensed the incoming danger before throwing itself on the side. Although the cannon missed, shrapnel from the explosion was enough to cause the creature to whimper out in pain.

 

"grrrrr"

 

"Charge!"

 

I ignored the creature's desperate attempt to scare us and gave the order to finish it off while we had the chance. Unfortunately, all my soldiers were frozen on the spot with their legs shaking.

 

Dammit, I don't have time for this crap. If you don't go in, then I'll do it myself!

 

"... Eh? No- I mean, wait, Captain!"

 

I paid no heed to whoever said that while my right hand unsheathed a short sword which had a dark glint from the infused drake/dust mixture. This might be reckless, but I don't have a choice in this matter. Not when Alice could come at any moment and steal the show right under my nose again with magic.

 

I'm not much of a fighter since I barely learned the basics because I focused so much on finding ways to defeat magic. This is why I've decided to do a simple horizontal slash without any technique and hope for the best. Now that I think about it again, this is a horribly dumb idea.

 

*grawl*

 

The beast decided to take me up on the challenge and pounced at me with its mouth wide open, ready to tear me apart with its razor-sharp teeth. I knew this was a bad idea, but there's no going back now. I slashed my sword as fast as my hand let me at the approaching threat fully expecting to at least sustain major injuries from this bout.

 

"The captain… By the spirits, he actually defeated the monster himself!"

 

Uhhh, that was anticlimactic. I thought that shadow wolves should be quite difficult to fight one on one. I stared at the perfectly bisected corpse as it slowly faded away. I didn't actually feel any resistance when my sword contacted the wolf's fur as if this was all one elaborate prank.

 

I won't complain though. Even if this scenario feels really weird, I'll just accept the victory and continue on with my day.

 

"Brother! I heard a loud 'kaboom' and ran here as quickly as possible. Is everything fine? Oh, you defeated the wolf!"

 

"Alice, just go home. I'll finish up here and return soon."

 

"You're acting weird, but I'll listen to you because I don't want to be in this boring place any longer."

 

Quite ironic to call me weird, don't you think?

 

Martin helped out with regrouping the troops before we marched back to Fort Erosion. There are a lot of things I have to carefully think about. My 14th birthday is going to be 2 weeks from now which would be the time I officially become the true leader of the Anti-Magic Division. I should look into the possibility of obtaining dragon blood without alarming my parents since it's such an expensive resource with unique uses.

 

I think it's finally time to contact Jack.

 

I'm sooo sorry guys!

I thought this I could get out the chapter on time, but I had to go out early for my sister's marriage. I feel a little guilty for not giving out any sort of warning that the chapter might get postponed , and for that I'm sorry. :(

Don't worry though since this won't affect future releases, including tomorrow's chapter so look forward to it! :)

10