Chapter 16 – Demonification
129 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

---??? POV---

 

Ugh… Huh? Where am I?

 

This… this is so horrible. My hair is so messy, I haven't had a real shower for years in that damned cell, and now I am in this creepy room. Did the bastard finally decide to execute me?

 

Aah, this headache is killing me, and the gloomy atmosphere isn't helping me.

 

Who's there!?

 

I turned around as I felt a chilly finger touch my back, yet no one was there, just a crimson red wall. I am getting paranoid. How did I get here in the first place? All I remember was rotting in a dungeon cell, then I suddenly felt really drowsy and drifted into sleep. I think I had a dream about a pink-haired girl, but the memory is too hazy so I can't remember the details.

 

And why am I thinking about a dream? I have no time to waste on silly matters. I need to know where I am right now, else I might actually go insane.

 

The entire room is made out of some sort of red rock, as if it was carved out of a mountain. I just cannot think of a red mountain that exists within Lanthanum, so that can't be right. What's creepier is that the room is dimly lit, yet I see no light source. It's just a completely empty room with a metal door which doesn't even have a crack to peek through.

 

Aagh, this splitting headache just won't go away! I am also starving, and my nails are so disgustingly long, I cannot bring myself to look at them. At least give me a glass of water. I can't stand this anymore-

 

*creak*

 

Eh? The door! Someone is opening it. Maybe if I beg, the guard will pity me and at least tell me where I am right now.

 

"Please! If you have a shred of humanity in your heart, show some mercy and give me anything to drink. I beg of you!"

 

Years ago, I would have never stooped so low as to act this pathetically, but I threw my pride long ago. All that matters right now is to survive.

 

"Kehehehe! This female human asked if I had humanity in my heart. I don't even have a heart in the first place! Silly human."

 

No…No nononono, why is there an orc here!? How is it talking? Monsters should have no intelligence!

 

"Kehehe. Don't be so spooked, human. The king wants you alive, for now that is. Kehahahaha!"

 

Aaaaah! Anyone, please, save me! I don't want this. My head hurts so bad.

 

"Shut it, dumb orc, or I'll rip your tongue out. My lord needs her in a state good enough to have a conversation with."

 

"Kehe. As you wish, General Rose."

 

A pale skinned woman with long black hair and purple eyes talked to the monster. A person capable of controlling an orc? I have not heard of that in my entire life. There is one possibility which I can think of though, and it is something I wish to be false.

 

The woman is a demon. Not only that, but there is also a demon king.

 

The last demon king was slain 230 years ago according to the legends. I did not believe that I would live to witness the arrival of a new one, yet here I am, caught by a demon.

 

"Leave the human to me, I have to succeed in getting information out of her else my lord will actually kill me if I fail again. Those human brats were somehow able to cut my connection with lich projection #13 and ended up losing control of the graveyard near the capital of Lanthanum. I swear I will give them the most painful death for embarrassing me!"

 

The demon's skin darkened, and the air became heavy. I can't breathe…

 

"Kehe, please calm yourself, general. The human might actually die from your aura!"

 

The pressure on my lungs was quickly lifted after the orc finished his sentence. I gasped for air while tears started to flow down my tired face. This must be some sort of nightmare. It has to be.

 

"I guess there is no use in crying over spilt milk, at least the lich core was not damaged. Hello human, my name is Rose. I am one of the three generals working for my lord, the great demon king, who will take over the world from the disgusting hands of inferior races."

 

"You-"

 

Ack! My lungs are being crushed again.

 

"I don't remember giving you permission to speak, did I? You are only allowed to answer questions that I ask, ok?"

 

"..."

 

"Good. The reason trash like you was brought here in one piece is because my lord sees potential in you."

 

Potential? I really don't understand what this demon is talking about. I won't be killed?

 

"You will be given a chance, but you have to answer a couple of questions first. I would appreciate it if you answer truthfully, or I might have to resort to using extreme measures."

 

I desperately nodded my head as quickly as my neck allowed me to. I don't want to feel pain anymore.

 

"Let's start with this. How much do you know about Soul Corruption?"

 

"Umm… I-It is a disease common in mages which makes them rampage. It is also known to spread to other mages if they are close by."

 

Why is the demon interested in Soul Corruption? My knowledge in the topic is the same as any normal person.

 

"Seriously? Is that all you know? Maybe you will actually talk if I take an eye."

 

"P-Please no! That's really all I know, I swear! Only scholars specialized in studying diseases might have more information on the subject!"

 

"Hmm… Ok. Here is another question. Do you know of any secrets held within the Phoenix family?"

 

"Y-you mean Duke Magnus? Umm…"

 

I have to think of something! I'll definitely get killed if I don't give a satisfactory answer now.

 

"The duke has been giving special attention to his third son, Max, even though he is a manaphobe. This is especially weird because Duke Magnus favored him over his daughter who is known to be a prodigy. I have been locked up for a while so things might have changed, though."

 

Oh no. She is frowning. Was this not enough?

 

"I expected different information, but what you have just said might have some value. I will send someone to investigate. Anything else? To be more specific, do you know of any laboratories or experiments in the Phoenix mansion?"

 

"Ahh, umm… T-there is the duke's study… other than that, I-I don't think there is anything like a laboratory. I'm s-sorry."

 

Please don't kill me.

 

"Tch, should have expected as much from a worthless human. Oh well, here, take this pen and paper and draw a map of the Phoenix mansion. I assume you did not forget that, right?"

 

I quickly draw on the piece of paper. I might have not been in the mansion for a long time, but the general structure is easy to outline.

 

"Did you finish yet? Your drawing is so horrible, alas, I can work with it for now."

 

I couldn't help it! My hands are still shaking, and the headache is still there. Of course I can't focus right now, stupid demon.

 

"General Rose! The king has given the order to bring the human to the initiation hall as soon as possible."

 

A skeleton spoke to the demon fluently; something that I cannot be surprised about anymore. If monsters are as intelligent as any other sapient species, then can we call them monsters in the first place?

 

"It is a bit too early, but I will not question my lord's command. Rejoice, human, for you will be reborn as one of us thanks to my lord's mercy! Be grateful."

 

Wait, please! What does that mean? I really don't like the sound of that at all. Can't you just set me free?

 

"Hmm? You don't look grateful. Are you perhaps unsatisfied by my lord's gift?"

 

"Ack… No… I mean… what… reborn…"

 

I can't… breathe…

 

"Ah! So that's what you meant. Of course you can't be grateful for something you do not understand in the first place because of your ignorance. Do not worry, you will understand once it happens."

 

*cough* *cough*

 

Agh… *sniff*... Why is this happening to me? I don't deserve this, so why?

 

"Come on now, stand up and follow me. I will drag you otherwise."

 

I forced my legs to move so as to not anger the demon again. At least I don't have shackles to pull around. I am already struggling to drag my scrawny body barely covered by rags with whatever strength is left within me. Did I mention that my head hurts?

 

"Move it, human. I have to get you there quickly, after all. Maybe I really should drag you by pulling your hair?"

 

I quicken my pace and nearly stumble out of fear. My feet hurt as I walked on rough rocks while passing along different cells. Some of them had small windows so I curiously peeked through them. Many humans were imprisoned there, just like me, but sometimes I find an elf or a dwarf held in shackles.

 

We passed through a large door and climbed up a set of stairs. The cold floor slowly numbed my feet. That's good, they were starting to hurt from walking on a surface which obviously wasn't meant for bare feet.

 

At long last, my struggle ended when the demon stopped in front of a black door. I have a really bad feeling about what will happen to me, but there is nothing I can do for now. I have no fighting experience and all the spells I know would do nothing against a real demon. Not to mention that I have no idea where I am in the first place.

 

"Ok, human, go inside the initiation hall and accept the gift. Don't waste any more time."

 

The demon gave me a strong push which made me hit the door. I decided to listen to her and grasped the black door handle.

 

"Ah! I almost forgot. Before you enter, tell me your name. It would be rather awkward to not know the name of someone who will become one of us after having such a wonderful time together."

 

"I… My name is… Martha."

 

"Alright, Martha, now go in before my patience runs dry."

 

I pushed open the door with surprising ease before carefully stepping into an unlit room. The door automatically closed behind me, making the already dark room completely pitch black. All I can do now is walk blindly to whatever could be on here. The headache is getting worse.

 

I can't do this anymore. I collapse on the cold floor as my legs aren't able to hold me up anymore. I want to sleep, but the pain in my head just won't stop torturing me. This… It's all his fault. I wouldn't have been locked up for all these years, starved till I was only skin and bones, then sent to this horrible place. I feel my head splitting apart.

 

"A neeeew initiate? This one seeeeems damaged. Can't theeeeese idiots keep them in better condition?"

 

Huh? I think I'm hearing a voice… I can't really concentrate with this headache though.

 

"Let meeeee ask you a question, initiate. What do you wish for if you geeeeet power?"

 

The voice is so annoying, yet I feel like I have to answer it. What do I want? A better life… No. Such a superficial wish is only for inferior beings. I want revenge, sweet revenge on those who started this nightmare.

 

"Greeeeeeat! Now, what would you do if you meeeeeet those who wronged you?"

 

Isn't it obvious? I'll make them regret, I'll destroy that brat's life and make him wish he never met me.

 

"Eeeeeeeeeh? That's boring. I'll teeeeeeell you what to do. Kill theeeeeeem all, everyone!"

 

Kill? Yeah, these bastards deserve death for what they've done to me. I'll do everything in my power to wipe out the Phoenix family for their injustice.

 

"Yeeeeeees! Now take this pill, and your wish will beeeeeeecome true!"

 

Something bitter was forced into my mouth which I swallowed reflexively. My stomach hurt a little, but then… All my pain disappeared, including the persistent headache. After being freed from the torture, I finally had a chance to close my eyes and drift away in sleep.

 

That's right, I can only sleep now that I have a purpose in life. An image of the manaphobic brat came in my mind.

 

He will be my first target.

 

Welcome back readers!

Martha is coming back, hooray! Max got himself a real enemy to fight. Will he be able to easily decimate her like the other monsters, or will his ultimate weapon fail him? ;)

Thanks for reading!

4