Chapter 23 – ‘Dragon Lord’ is Actually_!?
242 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am now, ironically, under house arrest in my own fortress due to the horned monster incident. This was actually not by the order of Hunter, but, surprisingly, Sisley warned me not to leave Fort Erosion until the threat is taken care of. She looked distressed, though I didn't have a chance to ask her about what concerned her so much as she left to report back to the mansion.

 

I have nothing to do while staying here other than modifying the speech given against golden rice. Can't that stupid monster just come here so my cannons can obliterate it? Saying that, it might survive a couple of direct cannon fire since it only twitched when I shot it with my pistol. Where did that thing come from in the first place?

 

The door to my room was rudely opened without knocking, then the only person who'd do such a thing started speaking with no shame.

 

"Young cub! I'm so glad you made it without any injury. Can I have a moment to ask about the monster you faced?"

 

"Ask Leona, she was there as well"

 

I don't want to deal with this annoying pest, especially when I'm in a bad mood from being locked up. Adulthood at 14? Such a joke, I'm almost 16 and my parents still have full control over me.

 

"Oh, come on now. You see, wolf-kin and felines don't really have the best relationship, so I really hope you cut me some slack here. I promise I'll get rid of the monster as quickly as possible if you help me out!"

 

Hunter? Quick? Now that's a funny joke!

 

"It walked on two legs, had rough purple skin, and had a single horn protruding out of its head. Now piss off."

 

"Ok ok, just one more question and I'll leave you be. Did it… say anything?"

 

"It made an attempt to express its desire to kill me with a hoarse voice..."

 

Hold on a moment, a talking monster? The lich is one thing, but how could a forest monster have enough of a brain to communicate? This doesn't make any sense! Unless…

 

Oh… Oh no

 

"I see. Thanks for answering my questions, young cub! I'll be sure to do my best to defeat whatever attacked you in the Osmic forest. Bye!"

 

Ok just leave already, I have something that I have to think about right now. Talking monsters shouldn't exist, yet both the lich and now some bipedal monster could form words and communicate. Assuming the lich didn't die, then it makes perfect sense that I was targeted by a monster attack. This must be some sort of revenge planned out by the lich, or whoever is capable of producing intelligent monsters. Dammit, I let my guard down when I had knowledge about this looming danger for over a year!

 

My heavy focus on forming my own faction and undermining golden rice gave me tunnel vision. I should be grateful to Sisley for making the wise decision of keeling me here as the outside is too dangerous when there is a rampaging monster targeting me. What does Sisley like? maybe a new non-magical mop would do? She cleans a lot after all.

 

"Captain! There's a… an adventurer who came here asking for you."

 

I forgot to close the door. Oh well, I wonder what kind of guest would make Leona be so flustered. Let's go meet them, perhaps they'd be interesting enough to relieve my boredom.

 

As I was about to follow Leona out of the building, I heard a loud voice coming from the direction of the gate.

 

"How much longer are you going to make me, the great Dragon Lord, wait?"

 

That guy again!? What's he doing here now? Alright, I'll go find out right now… Oh, he seems to be standing on top of something. Wait, isn't that Hunter!?

 

"Hmm? Took you long enough, human. I have been assigned a task by a benefactor of mine to protect you from any threats for a week. You naturally cannot refuse as my pride will not allow me to fail this mission."

 

"Ok, hold on a moment. So, you are saying that you are here to be my bodyguard for a week, correct?"

 

"Correct, human."

 

"... Then why are you on top of the unconscious body of my actual bodyguard?"

 

'Dragon Lord' acted as if he didn't understand what I just said since he gave me a confused look before turning his head down to the person he's standing on. Leona took the liberty to give me an explanation.

 

"This adventurer is a stranger who came out of nowhere and claimed to be your bodyguard, which made Hunter angry and tried to kick the adventurer away. Then-"

 

"Pathetic beast man thought he was on the same level as I, the great Dragon Lord, so I taught him a lesson on the difference between our races! Naturally, some random dog does not deserve my attention."

 

That's quite racist, though it feels good to see Hunter get trashed by a delusional adventurer. He said he's going to stay for a week, and I trust that he doesn't have any bad intentions judging from how he helped during the bandit attack. Alright, I will accept his protection from now on.

 

"One question, Mister Dragon Lord. I have not heard about any quests of this sort, so I, unfortunately, cannot provide you with a proof of finishing the quest. I can still pay you with money to compensate you."

 

"There is no need to provide me, the great Dragon Lord, with your worthless material possessions, for this is a favor to the princess… my secret benefactor, after all. *ahem*"

 

Suuuuure. So princess Astatine is the one who sent this lunatic here as protection. I still gotta give her credit, though, since the man was able to easily subdue Hunter and use him as a carpet… I should probably tell him to get off now.

 

After getting my new temporary bodyguard (and sending the older one to the infirmary), I spent the rest of the day discussing with Martin about adjusting our strategy to take down golden rice. 'Dragon Lord' didn't utter a single word and only followed me around in silence. Good, if it was Hunter, he'd definitely do everything within his power to mess with me.

 

The next morning, as I was discussing with Narko about new applications of null dust, 'Dragon lord' finally spoke.

 

"Haha! Your futile attempt to undermine magic is amusing."

 

"Excuse me? Ok, Mister Dragon Lord, would you like to try and block an attack using this 'futile' weapon?"

 

I couldn't stand by as this man has the audacity to look down on my greatest power. I loaded my pistol and threw a challenging smirk at him.

 

"You dare question my ability to block a feeble attack? Fine, I, the great Dragon Lord, accept your challenge!"

 

In the afternoon, an area was cleared for us to commence the duel. It's my win if I'm able to harm 'Dragon Lord', while he wins if my attack is completely blocked. Dodging isn't allowed, and he can only bring a training sword with him. This sounds unfair for him, but he pissed me off, and accepted the rules without hesitation. It's his fault for being stupid.

 

Martin is acting as the referee, with Hunter standing close by to make sure nothing wrong happens.

 

"The rules have been explained beforehand; therefore, I will start the countdown for the duel. 3, 2, 1."

 

"Don't hold back, young cub! Avenge me for yesterday's embarrassment."

 

Ugh, shut up, I'm trying to concentrate. Let's see… 'Dragon Lord' has entered a combat stance and activated a magic shield. He has such a wide smile on his face, as if nothing in the world can hurt him. What an idiot, all I have to do is use null dust to crack the magic shield and shoot through the weakness. In fact, I'm worried he might even get seriously injured.

 

I opened my pouch and dowsed the fingers of my left hand with null dust, then took a crouched position as I aimed my pistol at him with my right hand. This time, since my target is stationary and very near to me, I can use a trick which basically guarantees my success.

 

Usually, I'd first use my null dust followed by firing at the spot which was weakened. This time, however, I'll do the exact opposite; shoot first then instantly crack the magic shield in the area I've shot. This tactic makes sure that the bullet hits exactly where the crack is made with no inaccuracy while also reducing the time interval in which the barrier can recover. I've invented this technique for if I had to face the horned monster again. It probably wouldn't work against it, but it will definitely work against a normal human mage.

 

*BANG*

 

I fired my gun, aiming at his left shoulder, then immediately used my null dust to deform the shield in the exact area I aimed at. The result was...

 

"Is that all you got? It seems like this was, regretfully, a complete waste of time for me, the great Dragon Lord."

 

Everyone who was watching had their jaws dropping to the ground because it was their first time to witness my power fail so spectacularly.

 

"No! We will repeat the challenge tomorrow. I still have stronger weapons to use!"

 

"Interesting! I will be waiting here at the same time to take on your desperate attempts!"

 

I rushed to the workshop and got Narko to prepare a cannon for me. That's right, I've underestimated 'Dragon Lord's' power, so I won't hold back anymore.

 

The next day arrived and, once again, soldiers gathered around even more than yesterday as a cannon was aimed at 'Dragon Lord' who was standing on the same spot without a care in the world. He'll definitely regret his arrogant attitude.

 

"Just like yesterday, the rules are the same. I will now start the countdown. 3, 2, 1."

 

*KABOOM*

 

I didn't waste any time as I already know what I'm up against. I, as yesterday, partially nullified his shield with the difference that now a cannon shell is heading towards his chest.

 

"Another disappointing attack."

 

'Dragon Lord' slashed at the projectile, aiming to slice it in half, only to trigger the explosive warhead which completely engulfed him. This is why I'm currently standing further than last time. I hope he liked being assaulted by a thousand iron fragments directly to the face.

 

"Umm, captain… I think you overdid it."

 

Leona remarked with concern as the smoke started to settle down. Ok, it might have been a little excessive to use the explosive shells, but it's his fault for taunting me…

 

Uhh, he is completely fine.

 

"A trick from the dwarven military? How unusual. However, such a pathetic explosion cannot compare to true high-rank magic. Therefore, you fail once again against me, the great Dragon Lord!"

 

I gritted my teeth. How is he able to block it, even after weakening his magic shield? No, I refuse to accept this outcome!

 

"Again! We will redo the challenge tomorrow!"

 

"Truly a desperate fool, aren't you, human? This is a good way to pass time and, therefore, I, the great Dragon lord, accept your challenge once again!"

 

And so, another day has passed. 'Dragon Lord' stood in his spot, but instead of a single cannon, a row of five cannons were lined up with their nozzles aimed at the man from different angles. This time will be different, I'll use both hands to use null dust while the cannons will be shot by my best troops. I completely acknowledge the fact that this is a very ridiculous and inefficient use of my arsenal, but it's also the highest firepower I can currently muster.

 

"... I will just start the countdown. 3, 2, 1."

 

The entire regiment was watching and they all reflexively covered their ears in preparation for the impending blast. This is it, everything I can muster will be used to prove that I have power. I ready my hands by dipping them in null dust and slowly move them to the adjacent cannon. Once I touch it, the resulting spark will act as the signal to fire all cannons simultaneously.

 

I'll teach you not to mess with me in my territory.

 

*BOOOOOM*

 

A deafening explosion hit me so hard that I almost collapsed from the mere shockwave. Several young kids lost their balance and fell on their butts, with some even crying out of pain. Their reactions don't matter though, what's important is him.

 

"You got me good. I almost had to use my real power to block your attack. However, I, the great Dragon Lord, can easily-"

 

*BANG*

 

"Ack! Y-You… You…"

 

Ha, Hahaha! I got him! I definitely got him now! Look at his glaring face, it's so refreshing! Ahhh, I'm glad I hid my pistol and used it at the last second. Now I can rest easy as I have shown that bastard how much of an idiot he was to challenge me!

 

"... I see that my protection is unnecessary. I will be leaving now. *Ptooey*"

 

I was slightly worried since there were no visible injuries on him, but the red sputum is indisputable evidence that I've won the challenge. He's even acting like a sore loser, which only widened my smile further. Good riddance.

 

I then had a weird curiosity, an eerie attraction towards the blood on the dirt ground.

 

I. Must. Collect. It.

 

After a week has passed since Dragon Lord left, an armored carriage came to escort me back to the mansion. Magnus has sent the regular army to investigate the matter yet couldn't find a single clue towards finding the horned monster. What matters is that my restriction on movement has slackened a little, so I can focus back on the golden rice.

 

First though…

 

As I sat on my bed, I held a tiny glass flask containing a dark-red liquid. I don't understand why I did something as disgusting as collect a man's bloody sputum, but I feel like this is something I had to do.

 

Wait… an unexplainable force tempted me? MAGIC. I quickly took out my null dust then filled the open flask with it to make sure any mana is removed. Unexpectedly, the dust dissolved into the liquid and a reaction started. The flask began to shine brightly before quickly turning into a matte black color.

 

Umm, did the magic go away?

 

*SMASH*

 

Wahh! My, my wall! Did someone launch an artillery strike at me?

 

I looked down and a chill ran down my spine as a particularly ominous black rectangular object was on the floor.

 

*knock* *knock* *knock*

 

"Young master! What happened? May I enter?"

 

I opened the book and flipped to a new page. I have to know what's going on.

 

'Congratulations! You beat the odds as a lazy piece of trash and made void metal through mixing dragon blood and null dust. With this, you won't have to worry about carrying null dust, since void metal can store a tremendous amount of it while being an extremely effective anti-magic conduit.'

 

"Young master! Please respond to me!"

 

I flipped to the next page. How do I use void metal? Especially since I only have a pathetic amount of it.

 

'With this, you have finished the tutorial. To promote further development of your disappointing life, a gift will be given to you to help against future crises-

W h e t h e r  y o u  l i k e  i t  o r  n o t.'

 

Just as I finished the last sentence, the book started to vibrate. I had a really bad feeling, so I decided to throw it away.

 

Unfortunately, it was too late.

 

*BOOM*

 

"GYAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

 

MY HAND MY HAND MY HAND. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

 

"I'm coming in! Oh my god! Young master!? Someone, please call a doctor!"

 

I blacked out.

 

Welcome back readers!

Things are getting real spicy this chapter, and I assure you that it will only go further down the spiral from here on out. Buckle up!

Thanks for reading. :)

8