CHAPTER 19: In which valkyries are fought inside the creepiest dungeon ever.
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NEVRAS

Inside the Egg, we wandered about for some time. The inside was divided by four distinct floors, divided by switchbacks, caves, and finally a staircase at the end of each. The islands of flesh and blood and bone extended for so long that sometimes we walked down a path, and it seemed like it was going somewhere, only to find out in fact that the island just hung suspended in space or led to a walled-off section. Worse, we often ran right into creatures. It was so strange seeing creatures again. For some reason, they had been scarce lately outside of dungeons. Maybe God was overprotective of Tamashii.

The amethyst dragons, we at least knew what to expect, even though they were very powerful, more so even than gold dragons. That same old thing, avoid the tail, the teeth, the claws, and the breath. I used my Dragon Roar ability, aware that each time, I had to rest a bit, because the strain of the technique hurt me. When I was older, I’d have heart trouble. The Brides of Hell were a bit more dangerous, as their arrows were fully strong enough to penetrate our shields, and I shudder to think how powerful they were be against us without them. We would probably wind up looking like we'd been hit by a rail-gun. It was only thanks to Yazim Jianne's quick thinking, using a shikigami to impersonate us, and then using several illusions to get them to attack each other that we made it through. Elias took care of some giant oozes using industrial strength soaps to break apart their cell walls. And Azrael quickly dismissed a group of lich masters.

It would be tempting to say that we could deal with any enemy now. But to tell the truth, these creatures were incredibly strong and we constantly worried about running out of steam and getting gobbled up, ambushed by archers, or some other colorful way to die. And I wasn't sure how well God could Reset things here. This was a strange place.

Despite everything, we did manage to make it through this area, but the worst opponents we managed to encounter were yet to come. Between getting terribly lost and fighting other critters, there were valkyrie scattered around the area. These were beautiful women with plate armor, loose skirts, metal boots, and funny helmets with a feather design. They were predominantly armed with spears and shields and they were able to fly, not with wings but by floating in midair. They fanned out in elaborate formations to try to get the jump on us. Sometimes they appeared alone, sometimes they were in small groups in three or four, and sometimes they were a whole unit of flying troops. The valkyrie had petty magic, which mostly involved blessing and protection, small elemental blasts, and some healing effects. But more problematic was their their armor had the ability to deflect all thaumaturgy (including Azrael's Solid Spells) back at its caster. Zoe cast her Fire spell, only to slightly scald her forehead creating a small ashy spot. We had an extended fight against these women, and I had to do quite a bit of the work. Lilith and Michael were some help as her demonic powers and his Script weren't technically thaumaturgy, but they were mostly taken down by martial prowess. They fought to the last woman, and we repeatedly had our healers gulp down restorative potions after spending most if not all of their mystic power keeping all of us healthy and alive.

It was exhausting, and most of us were hungry from our exercise. We had nothing to eat or drink except what we brought, so every effort was that much harder. The terrain made it feel like a vast wilderness, yet we were not tempted to eat or drink anything, since the water was blood and the only food was the walls and floor of human and animal flesh. And so, most of us suffered hunger and thirst within this chamber.

When the last valkyrie was finally stabbed, decapitated, or otherwise mutilated (for they would not quite for any but the most lethal wounds), we believed that the worst was finally over for our travels through this nightmarish non-Euclidean terrain. How wrong we were! We had made it through most of the third floor, gradually becoming used to the high-level creatures to the point where we could finish them off without a thought. I was worried that all of this death and destruction might do something to us later. Possibly we might become shell-shocked. Or worse, we might not be affected at all... Yet we had no time to think on these things, as a large man with a stern countenance stared at us with one eye. I remembered him! Santa? This was Odin! In addition to the terrifying thought of fighting such a strong being, I was filled with the notion that come Christmas Day, many children would be extremely disappointed. Not even coal in their stockings!

Unlike his valkyries, Odin wasn't immune to magic. He was frighteningly tough though, and he appeared to quickly heal from any wounds. Worse, he appeared able to change his immunity and weakness with regard to the elements. At one point, fire hurt him, at another only lightning caused pain and fire tickled him, and still another time he was only weak to the cold. We threw all sorts of things at him, but I remember Belial being slightly easier to damage. “I'm going to have to use the Sword of Sorrow, guys,” said Zoe. She disliked using her sword, since while it was very effective at bringing back the dead, it could also kill with a touch anything living or undead (it was worthless against golems though). Rushing forward, she swung the sword using her shoulders and pivoting her hips. A small yet jagged slash formed across his chest. “Hah, you think that wee little sword would do naught against me? Why, nothing could be further from the tru... Egad! What have you done?!?” he said, noticing that unlike the other wounds, it appeared to rapidly be becoming necrotic rather than healing. “Even so, I shall return to life on the first new moon of the next solstice...” he said. Azrael shook her head, “I won't allow that.” She swung her sword with all her might, making another larger slash that overlapped the first. Azrael's Eternal Moon was not quite as sure of killing as the Sword of Sorrow, especially with her... condition now, but it was effective in making sure that things stayed dead. His body began to glow gold, and started to slowly turn to stardust. There were things that the Eternal Moon probably by definition couldn't destroy, such as Saints, God, and some rare beings like the Tatarimokke but usually...

But with immortals like Odin, there was an added wrinkle. Even though the sword could kill them and make them stay dead, they couldn't fully die until they passed on their Domain. That is to say, an immortal remained immortal until he or she gave what they represented up to someone else. He couldn't revive, but neither could he die. And so, I saw the revenant of Odin harpoon me and drag me towards him by the leg. The lance wasn't real enough to seriously hurt me, but it was enough to bring me right to him. “You seem like a decent person,” he said to me, “I'm passing this to you.” And then he touched me, and my hand had a mark resembling a snowflake, and my body was filled with the Spirit of Christmas. I knew things that I shouldn't know, like how to command the remaining armies of valkyrie, how to give all children in the world presents in one night (and trust me, it's a complicated process), and how to pass on my immortality to someone else. This I resolved to do immediately when this was over, to Frigg, Odin's wife.

BRUNHILDE

I had served Estheriel for a great deal of time, despite her confusing relationship with her guy (who seemed to simultaneously be an official marriage, and an affair thanks to Odin/Odr being the same person). The valkyries and I knew this to be the case, but Frigg in all of her knowledge was kept blissfully ignorant of her husband's dual existence.

I had carried the dead for her, I had cheered her up after she found some sort of cursed Ring that traumatized her. I had even assisted her in battles. But lately, she wasn't acting like herself. Well, that was an understatement anyway. Like Odin, Freya or should I call her Estheriel had no fixed form. As an immortal, she was all woman, but as an angel, Estheriel was an androgynous male. As Freya, she was a goddess of war, death, love, sex, beauty, fertility, and gold but as Estheriel (he?) was responsible for vengeance, justice, and healing, oddly enough. To say that she wasn't herself was probably accurate no matter what happened. But I guess I could say she was even more unlike herself.

In any case, Estheriel asked me to send my valkyries to guard this place, while business at its center was resolved. Apparently, there was some sort of secret to what this Egg was. I didn't ask questions, because my duty was to follow her orders. “I swear by God and all that is holy, I will defend this place from attack, and if I fail to do so, I will defend you, my lady Freya.” It looked like she remembered something unpleasant, because she cringed at my words, before snapping at me. “I will hold you to that promise! You will never be allowed to betray me, and live! Dearest husband, go with them, and be sure they succeed.” Odin nodded, and he too went to defend

All of this happened but a little while ago, and I had waited here since then. I indeed met with trouble, and so, drawing a valknut on the ground, I cried out, “Come forth, my valkyries!” Odd, the valknut was a sacred oath that must be obeyed. As long as they were alive they should come. These people, they were quite fearsome if they could defeat my entire squadron. Ah, no matter, Odin would still be able to defeat them. And so, I called him forth. “He's not coming,” said the guy that the others would later call Nevras. He showed me his hand, patterned with a snowflake on his palm. He was the new Spirit of Christmas. And that meant... Odin was dead. Freya would be pissed...

It also meant that as much as I might want to take revenge, this Nevras was now the acting leader of the valkyrie. I had to respect the chain of command. “General,” I said to him, “I request permission to retreat.” He shrugged, and then waved me off.

“What...” she glared at me, “what are you doing back here? I told you that if you retreated from battle, I would kill...” I explained, “I had no choice! Someone has taken the Domain that Odin has. I can't defy them!” Her face fell, “They killed my husband? I'll make them pay...” Estheriel drew her sword, and a fire filled her eyes.

0