27 – Promise me one thing
219 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

[These aren't the Blue Mountains.]

Of course not. “I’m not a fool.”

Jun isn’t a damned fool – not that much of a fool, at any rate. Still, he cannot help but rethink his decision to bring that thing along – that white ferret that now clings to his shoulder. He’s a bit surprised that it can speak. Then again, it’s not all that strange – that demented orb had also talked.

[Even a fool can learn from experience,] says the ferret, no, System 225, was it?

In any case “Only a fool would trust the word of Lord Hua.”

Only a fool would trust a man who’d sell out his own daughter and her alleged location so readily – him shamelessly pinning the blame on the Spider Demons was a nice touch though. Because there’s absolutely no evidence of such, and Jun would sooner believe both parties are allies.

Granted, technically speaking, Hua Hongzhu could’ve pulled this off all by herself. But it’s still far more likely that this had all been a group effort to lure Jun into a trap. Still

Yue’s down there. Yue’s right down there, down below. Jun can sense it, and he wants to go to him immediately, but

[Going down into the water would be the most direct route,] System 225 relays. [This place is known as the Lake of Bones for a reason though.]

Of this, Jun is very much aware. He also knows about the caves and tunnels down below, but because he’s never been down there before, he can’t go there immediately. It’s one of the major drawbacks of their clan’s inherent ability, along with the amount of energy it took to use it, especially over greater distances.

That said “There’s another route?”

The creature hesitates briefly before responding. [This System was instructed to respond to any queries of Future Demon Lord Youming Jun.]

Huh. “You’ll give me any information then?”

[Any information available to this System concerning this particular World can be provided upon Future Demon Lord Youming Jun’s request.]

Really. “At what cost?”

Again, the thing hesitates. Then, finally, it says: [Future Demon Lord Youming Jun is only recognised as a temporary charge, not a Host. The cost of any transaction will be borne by Bai Jixue, System 225’s actual Host.]

Well, if that Bai Jixue had readily offered such privileges to Jun, then why not make use of them?

“Give me the alternate routes into the Secret Cavern beneath the Lake of Bones.”

 


 

“There’s a secret cavern?” Jiao Ziyu said, staring down into its depths. The waters were deep but astonishingly clear, allowing the light from above to illuminate what lay beneath – so many bones, so many white and grinning skulls of human and demon alike. The fact that there was so many and that they were not overgrown said a few things, and not very good ones at that.

“We’re going down there?” he asked, and at Mingyue’s curt nod, he pressed further. “How?”

There was also the noticeable absence of Youming Jun, who should’ve made it here before them – if he’d headed for the right place, that is.

“There’s an alternate route,” Mingyue said.

Oh. “Are we taking it?”

“No.” Saying this, Mingyue reached into his sleeve, and soon, there was a small bottle of large pills in his hand. “We don’t have time.”

Well, Jiao Ziyu privately thought that they would’ve probably had more time, had they relied upon the Demon King’s highly convenient dimensional abilities instead of crossing all this distance on their own. He wasn’t about to question it however, because Mingyue probably had his reasons – and hopefully good or at the very least acceptable ones at that. Still⸺ “Is there anything I can do?”

This earned Jiao Ziyu a definite look – not a disapproving one but definitely an assessing one.

Mingyue ultimately said nothing however, popping one of those highly suspicious pills into his mouth. He bit down it with an audible crunch, and then⸺

A sudden burst of qi made Jiao Ziyu stagger. He wasn’t sure what Mingyue had just taken, but it had to have been something pretty damned powerful, because soon, a strong and chilly wind knocked him straight to the ground – and it kept blowing, kept swirling around them, whipping at clothes and hair and limbs. Jiao Ziyu found it difficult to remain steady, and he found it even more difficult to keep his eyes open. Finally, he just gave up and screwed them shut, bringing up his sleeve to shield his face from the worst of the increasing windchill.

Then, just as suddenly as it had begun, it was over. The winds gradually died down, and as they abated, Jiao Ziyu quickly moved his sleeve aside to check on Mingyue.

It seemed as though his concern was completely unfounded though, because Mingyue stood there looking quite pristine, the only difference being that the veil of the weimao had become unpinned so that it was again obscuring his features, and Mingyue made no move to pull it aside.

Jiao Ziyu wasn’t sure why, but⸺ “Mingyue?”

Saying this, he tentatively reached out, experiencing a sudden urge to check Mingyue’s condition for himself. Because yes, Mingyue had undoubtedly recovered – he had undoubtedly recovered and he had undoubtedly grown even more powerful since, but⸺

Cold fingers locked tightly around his wrist, and Jiao Ziyu swallowed, feeling caught.

“Sorry,” he said, moving to pull back. But Mingyue just pulled him closer instead, turning him around to direct him towards the path that now lay ahead of them – and indeed, it was a path; it was a narrow tunnel with uneven walls of translucent ice, but it was a path nonetheless.

“Let’s go,” Mingyue said, and down they went.

 


 

Darkness surrounds him; oppressive, humid, cold.

Jun hardly focuses on it though – he’s getting closer.

The creature hitching a ride is quiet as well, and perhaps eerily so. Jun finds that he doesn’t mind though, not really. He wants to focus, he wants to

Dammit!

“Are you sure this is the only way?”

[It is the only way available to the two of us,] says the System. [Because much like you have your limitations, I have mine – especially in this form.]

Especially in this form, huh? “Is your original form the same as that demented orb’s?”

The white ferret makes a mildly offended noise at that.

[We’re not the same,] it snorts. [Similar, yes, but not the same.]

Huh. “What’s the difference?”

[This System... is typically not at liberty to discuss such things with a native. However, this System was instructed to respond to any queries of Future Demon Lord Youming Jun, and thus]

You’ll give me any information.”

[Within the constraints of this World, yes.]

Ah. “Then tell me, System 225... tell me how to take down a System.”

 


 

Yue’s hands, fingers carding slowly through his hair; it’s incredibly soothing, and Jun feels ready to doze right off. He shouldn’t though, because although he can no longer sense it, it might be back yet, and Jun can’t

Jun can’t let his guard down, but he also can’t keep his guard up. How could he keep his guard up, having experienced Yue’s easy acceptance in spite of everything?

How could he keep his guard up, when Yue had so readily accepted him?

How could he keep his guard up, when

He’d kissed him. He’d held Yue’s face, caressed it, then crashed their lips together.

He’d kissed him, and Yue had let out a muffled gasp, his heart no longer calm as Jun’s tongue had delved into his mouth.

There’d been no overt rejection though – nothing of the sort.

He’d kissed him, and Yue had responded, and they’d both been breathless by the time they’d separated – by the time that Jun had finally wrestled back control from his more basal instincts.

Their faces had been so close that their breaths had intermingled, and so Jun had pulled back, wanting to apologise, wanting to give Yue some space.

However, a hand had curled around the back of his neck, and Jun had been far too stunned to resist when it had pulled him back down.

Soon, he’d found his head tucked underneath Yue’s chin, and his hair and neck being stroked in a manner that was both calming and immensely stimulating.

“Jun.”

Jun wants to stay like this forever.

“Rest.”

Jun wants to stay like this forever.

“You’ve done well.”

Jun wants to

“We should sleep,” Yue mumbles. “I have to go to the clinic in the morning.”

He doesn’t. Yue should rest as well. It’s been a hard day. But

“What was that?”

He shouldn’t ask. He shouldn’t talk about such things. Yue doesn’t want to be reminded – not of this. He should

“Jun...” Yue whispers. “Promise me one thing.”

“Anything you want.”

“If that time ever comes, then

 


 

[Systems tend to be resilient,] System 225 tells him. [This is especially true when in close proximity to its Host – which is to say the individual who’s bound to the System.]

Yeah. “I know. That guy told me.”

[Oh. What did he say?]

Huh. “Shouldn’t you know that, oh all-knowing deity?”

[This System is flattered yet feels obligated to inform the Former Future Demon Lord that it has yet to obtain godhood.]

Hah. “But that’s the end goal, isn’t it? Obtaining divinity at the expense of another.”

[Did he tell you that?]

Well, actually “No. I just kind of figured.”

[Then what did he tell you?]

Honestly “Shouldn’t you know? You’re connected, aren’t you?”

[We are,] the System admits. [But we’re not the only ones.]

Well, that’s certainly fair. Jun wouldn’t have been able to track Yue’s presence so well if they weren’t connected. But “Does that mean I’m connected to that demented orb as well?”

[You’re not,] System 225 assures him. [If you were, then we would’ve had other options.]

Options? “What other options?”

[It matters not,] System 225 says. [The path splits up ahead. Do you need me to guide you?]

Hah. “No need. Just

 

Promise me one thing, Youming Jun

 

He dashes headfirst into the left-side passage, barely dodging the first obstacle.

 

If the time comes

 

He spins around, pulling out his sword to cleave the vines seeking to trap him – they have no business being this far down here either, because such things require the sun, not

 

Jun, promise me

 

He slashes off another vine.

 

Promise me that, when the time comes

 

Another, followed by another, followed by yet another, and then he sets off into a sprint.

 

When that time comes

 

He’s surrounded by darkness – cold, oppressive, humid. He’s getting closer though, and then he’ll

 

kill me.”

 

The past him says yes, but the present him thinks: I’m sorry, Yue-shixiong.

 


 

Darkness surrounds him – cold, oppressive, humid.

It clings to him like liquid, seeping into his lungs. It’s like breathing underwater and he can’t, he can’t

He’s cold, numb, and again, he feels himself slipping away. This time feels different though.

His lips won’t move to form the words, and it doesn’t matter anyway. Even if he could, they wouldn’t be heard. Even if he could, they’d only be

“Sorry, Jun

“I’m

A distant beeping fades in and out – it’s not actually there though, merely the auditory hallucination of someone at the brink of death.

Before long, it goes out, the heart monitor finally going flat, subconsciously mirroring the events of that time.

It’s fine though. Yue isn’t afraid. He isn’t afraid because he’s overcome by a sudden serenity. He can’t see anything but darkness, but

There’s no longer any need to worry. There’s no longer any need to worry about anything. It’s already out of his hands, and

It’s fine. Even if the System somehow manages to take him over after death, it’s fine. Jun will know, and then Jun will

“Yue.”

Something falls onto his face; some vaguely warm splatter of liquid.

Blearily, Yue opens his eyes.

At first, he sees nothing. Then, something briefly drifts into focus – the face of a young demoness, her face full of tears.

The System meanwhile pulls back as if struck, wiping at its eyes and eyeing the liquid with a sense of betrayed wonder.

It seems as though its control over Hua Hongzhu might not be quite as absolute as expected. And that’s good, truly.

Yue might not know Hua Hongzhu very well, but no matter her character and no matter what she ultimately thinks of him, he’s glad, because no one deserves that – no one deserves getting taken over by the System and

Suddenly, there’s a sharp jerk accompanied by a strangled cry, and then Hua Hongzhu is gone.

Someone else is there though. Someone is right there, right beside him.

But although Yue could feel their presence – feel their touch – his vision fades much too quickly. Or is it because the room is completely dark now, now that the lights Hua Hongzhu had kept has been taken out alongside her?

Yue honestly doesn’t not know. But what he does know is that the touch had a hint of claws, and “Jun?”

Faintly, he hears a voice echoing in the cavern; it’s Jun’s, but it sounds so far off. But if that’s him, then who?

 

you?!”

won’t stand!”

For the last time!”

Are you even listening?!”

me, Bingleng?!”

 

Everything stops and then it starts over.

 

5