Chapter 5: First Awakening
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reka, Braud and Kate ran towards Alpha and did a synchronized  diagonal swing of their weapons at him, but Alpha held his weird green arm in front of him, blocking their attack. Then moved his arm and threw them away, sending them flying.

Reka, Braud and Kate held a steady position by stabbing their weapons into the ground preventing them from further increase of distance between them and Alpha.

What, not even Ursula works against that arm!?

“Pfft don’t take me lighty kids. I have the most hated type of semblance.” Alpha said.

“And what may that be?” Braud questioned.

“Oh this arm is part of my semblance called Aura stealer. Every hit with my aura arm drains the aura of my opponent and stores it, but another ability I discovered is that I can steal semblances as well, hence why I was hated in the past.” Alpha explained.

Of course they will never know the limits of it. Alpha thought.

“Guys he is a real trouble!” Kate said.

“I agree let’s see if guns work on that arm.” Braud suggested.

Kate and Braud pulled out their guns and shot at Alpha, who held arm in front of him to protect himself from the incoming attack. The bullets went into the arm and got stopped, Alpha then proceeded to swing his arm sending the bullets back at them, where Kate quickly made a barrier to block the incoming bullets with success.

“What bullets have no effect as well!” Braud said, surprised.

“Ugh you kids are seriously weak, time to show you true strength!” Alpha shouted.

Alpha ran up to the barrier and swinged at it with his aura arm. The barrier instantly disappeared where on top of that, he hit both Kate and Braud knocking them back for a few meters. Luckily their Aura protected them from the blow, then Alpha did a backhand strike against Reka which sent him flying.

“ARGH!” Reka cried out of pain when he hit the ground.

“Huh that is strange? Isn’t your aura supposed to protect you?... Wait, you have none!” Alpha realised and continued.

“I can’t believe a human doesn’t have aura! How did you even get a hold of the White Grimm’s power!”

This seriously hurts, I don’t think I can stand up! He reopened my damn wounds!

“Shut up!” Kate exclaimed.

“Pfft what are you going to do, you clearly notice that you can’t match my power.” Alpha replied.

“But we can always try, am I right? Kate, let's try again” Braud added.

“Right!” She responded.

The both of them ran up towards Alpha, where he put his hands up in the sky and 2 big clay chunks came out of the ground, sending them towards Braud and Kate with tremendous speed. It came unexpected so the both of them got hit in the stomach, the damage going straight through their aura protection as they fell on the ground.

“Braud, Kate!” 

“Argh I didn’t…. see that coming! Should have known... that he could use multiple semblances and not only steal them. ” Braud said while holding his stomach.

“I think we are just way too exhausted from all the fighting today.” Kate replied.

“Can you... stand?” Braud asked.

“No it…. hurts too much and you?” She asked back.

“Nope.” Braud answered.

“You people are not entertaining.” Alpha yawned

“So it's time to put an end to this and make sure to say hi to teammates in hell for me.” Alpha added.

Alpha put his arms up again and 3 solid earth chunks came out of the ground. He was ready to shoot them at Braud and Kate.

“Please don’t hurt them! Didn’t you want to kill me?!” Reka shouted while still laying on the ground.

“Oh your next kid, I just want you to see your friends die. You damn auraless.” Alpha answered.

No, at this point Alpha will kill my friends! I need to save them but what can I do? I am just too weak, I can’t even help them as they are stronger than me.

Reka suddenly realized something.

I have the mask, but it said there was a catch to it. Screw it no time for doubts!

“IF YOU COME CLOSE TO MY FRIENDS I WILL PUT ON THE MASK!” Reka screamed at Alpha.

"Welp seems like you have to die first.”

Alpha changed the direction of the earth chunks to Reka.

“Bye, bye kid!”

The earth chunks were now heading towards Reka at an alarming speed.

Please Grimm don’t let me down!

Reka quickly closed his eyes and put the mask on just before the earth chunks could hit him.

“Huh? Where am I?” Reka said looking at his hands.

He was standing in an empty white void which seemed to have an invisible solid floor to stand on.

I really just only put on the mask, there is no way I teleported to some other dimension or something.

As a figure appeared behind him and said:

Hello.

“GAH” Reka screamed as he turned around.

“Wait, it's you the Ursa Major!” Reka realised.

Before we begin discussing the conditions I want you to give a proper introduction.

“Sure I am Reka Thorn and you?” Reka replied.

I don’t have a name.

“I see how about I gave you one?” Reka suggested.

Sure what do you have in mind?

Reka thought for a while.

“Uhhhh how about Major?” Reka gave a slight smile.

Oh wow how original but fine I’ll roll with it.

“Great!”

With that out of the way time to explain the conditions.

I’ll lend you my power 3 times and in return I ask your body and soul.

“Wait?! As in take over my body you Grimm and do that?” Reka asked with a feeling of worry.

We are indeed able to, this is a White Grimm’s Bargain. I’ll either lend you my power for 1 time only and for the rest of your life you can’t access it, or the previous option, you choose.

“I… want to be useful!”

“I currently don’t know what is going on with the world, how many mysteries are being hidden from me and what future lies ahead of us, even if I knew all of that.. I probably would not be able to do anything about it. That is why the only thing I can do is survive and protect the ones that are dear to me.” Reka said.

Hmmmm?

“Being useful for 3 times is better than one, if you want to take over my body go ahead! Because I will do anything in order to protect my friends from danger! Just please lend me your power!” Reka cried out.

Major stood up and showed his paw with 3 finger up, putting one down

We have a deal. This is your 1st time, so 2 times left. That huntsman is pretty strong so I doubt you can beat him at your current state, since you are not powerful enough in order to handle a big chunk of my power.

“Anything more?” Reka questioned.

Oh yes, in fact you will have no control over what's happening and the power lasts for 5 minutes.

“I guess I have to hope for the best then.” Reka replied.

Good luck out there and don't die for my sake!

“Thanks I guess.”

We returned to the moment where the earth chunks were about to hurt Reka. The mask got red outlining around the eyes and a red line running from his closed eyes straight down till the end of the mask. On the blade part of his scythe appeared a red circle with a black pupil in it. Reka opened his eyes and turned red. He sliced through the earth chunks at a rapid speed and gave a loud Grimm screech which hurt the rest of their ears.

“What in the..” Braud did not finish his sentence.

“Grimm’s name is that?” Kate added.

“Darn it I was too late! He awakened the power of the White Grimm. I hate dealing with Grimmaskers.” Alpha said, preparing himself.

"HAAAAH!" 

Reka ran up with Alpha with tremendous speed and started to open his combo with a 720 degree spinning slash, which Alpha dodged by jumping back. Reka dashed and continued with a horizontal swing, followed by a diagonal one, but Alpha dodged those as well and countered with his aura arm which knocked Reka back.

"You might be stronger, but you're still not my level pipsqueak." Alpha sneered.

"AAAAH!" 

Alpha pulled out and shot another 3 earth chunks at Reka, who instantly sliced through them. 

Reka held Ursula back and made a 90 degree swing releasing a red energy slash. It was unexpected so Alpha had no time to dodge, so decided to block the energy slash instead, which caused a small explosion upon content.

Braud and Kate were spectating all of this, having their worries and finally had enough strength to stand up again .

“Reka’s speed and technique increased and even has an almost magical range attack, but he seems out of control.” Braud analized. 

“ Yeah I think it's safer if we create more distance between them.” Kate suggested.

“Okay that is a great option.” Braud agreed.

After the smoke disappeared, Alpha was still fine only suffering minor damage.

“Is that all you got kid!” Alpha triggered.

“rrrrrrAHHHHH!”

Reka released a fury of red energy slashes.

“Levitate!” Alpha shouted.

Alpha started to float 15 cm above the ground flying around dodging Reka’s ranged attacks, until he passed Braud and Kate and a red energy slash was heading their way.

“Kate quick!” Braud said.

Kate held out her as the barrier came just in time to stop the red energy slash, but the barrier instantly got destroyed afterwards.

“Phew just time.” Kate said relieved.

As Braud and Kate were slowly enlarging the distance, the battle between Alpha was still busy.

Alpha shot 3 rock chunks at Reka after he finished his fury, but he instantly sliced through the rocks, dashing towards Alpha as they now entered close combat again. Reka did a high swing, but Alpha dodged it by disabling his levitation and bending down, then Reka did another 45 degree angled swing, followed by a 180 backswing, which Alpha dodged, after that Reka did a 2 hit cross combo, which Alpha parried, but then Reka quickly countered with a diagonal swing. Alpha was unable to dodge it so he held out his aura arm in front of him to block the attack, but Reka sliced through it.

“What?!” Alpha reacted.

Reka was about to do another swing at Alpha, but he quickly used his levitation semblance to fly back his aura arm quickly regenerated.

To think he cut through my aura arm! There must be something weird about that scythe, but I can’t use my trump card yet, killing these runts is not my main objective, so another time. Alpha thought.

“Sorry, but we have to call it a draw here, but don’t worry there is always a next time. It's just that I have something more important to do.” 

With that said Alpha flew away at a high speed towards the city, where its smoke and fires could be seen from the distance.

“Hey come back here!” Braud shouted.

“You damn coward!” Kate added.

They instantly turned their heads towards Reka, he was panting very heavily. He dropped his weapon and went down his knees as his eye color returned to normal and the mask fell off, becoming completely blank again. 

Ha, you already got exhausted, the power lasts for 5 minutes, but you only lasted for 3. What a waste! If you only were a bit stronger I could have transferred more strength to you, finishing that brat with ease.

“Tsk.” Reka looked on the ground.

Braud and Kate made their way over to him.

“Reka are you alright?” Kate asked.

“Yeah just a bit tired, it seems the bleeding stopped again.” Reka replied.

“Thanks for saving us bro! You were really strong out there, but you seemed out of control. What was that?” Braud questioned.

“Whenever I use the power I go berserk is what Major told me.” Reka responded.

“Is Major the Grimm’s name?” Braud asked.

“Yes.”

"I see." Braud responded with a thoughtful look.

Reka clenched his fists.

"Guys I need to tell you something." Reka said, drawing attention.

"What is it?" Kate asked.

"Usually this type of thing you keep a secret to the very end, but I choose not to do it. Listen up, I made a bargain with Major. I am allowed to lend its power for 3 times, this being the first time, I got only 2 times left before it will take over my body. I will try to find a solution to prevent that from happening, but would I not succeed, please get as far away from me as you can. Sorry that I am nothing more but a useless weaking. If I was stronger I would have never had to depend on this power." Reka told.

Kate crouched down and held his right shoulder.

"Reka please stop downgrading yourself. I know it's very hard to deal with the fact that you have no aura, but you saved us back from that large energy blast and held off Alpha, something that we were unable to do and even if you get taken over we will be with until the last moment, because that is what friends are for." Kate reassured.

"Yeah I agree with what she said. Reka you will always be a important member of our team as a great friend of us." Braud added, helping Reka to stand up.

"Thank you both I really needed this." Reka said while going in for a group hug as he shed a tear.

They took a 5 minute break as they now had to decide what step to take next.

"So leader? What next?" Reka asked while he picked up his mask and attached it to the side.

"We have to get to the city, find a safe spot to rest and try to evacuate out of there as soon as possible, wait let me take a look at my scroll." Braud explained.

Braid took out his scroll and looked at the map.

"The signal is down, that can only mean one thing." Braid said.

"The CCT tower is destroyed." Kate added.

"Oh that doesn't sound that great." Reka commented.

"Since we are the closests to the commercial area and need your wounds to get stitched up, I think it's the best choice to go there. Oh Kate can you fetch our bags, I almost forgot!" Braid asked her.

"Sure lend me your scroll, it's too dark out here now." She replied.

She received the scroll and went over to the trees and tried to find the bags.

Major started to speak again.

Trying to go against your fate huh?

"Of course why wouldn't I?"

That's a valid point. This is exactly why you are the perfect vessel, so please try because I like challenges after all.

"Sure I will show you my best when the time comes."

I thought about what you said a while back not knowing anything about the world, the future and its countless mysteries.

What about them?

Reka, just ignore them and focus on your own story of life. You don't belong in the bigger picture, so don't worry about it. I am sure other people are taking care of that.

Is that advice?

Yes.

Thanks, now can you stop talking to me? I kinda have to focus on my things and don't think we are not done yet. I have tons of questions I need to ask you regarding my own life.

I'll be happy to answer, since it doesn't really matter anymore after I take over your body.

Funny.

With that said the conversation in Reka’s mind stopt.

Kate came back with the 2 bags, returned the scroll and gave 1 bag.

"Thanks, now we should be ready to go." Braud said.

Reka, Braud and Kate start to walk. After a while they saw a big hole through a thick wall in the distance.

Braud looked at the map on his scroll.

"We have made it to the commercial district. That hole is definitely made by another person, but oh well it's a shortcut for us." Braud said.

Suddenly they hear something in the sky.

“You guys hear that?” Reka asked.

All of them looked up at the sky as they saw a grey object coming down. It used its rocket to slowly descend onto the ground. As it opened a person came out instantly falling on its knees.

“It’s a person, quick we gotta go over there!” Kate shouted.

All of them ran over to the person, but were still standing a bit far. It was a fox fanus girl. She had long purple hair with black eyes, tan skin and had a black fox tail, wearing some kind of black uniform. The object was a locker and it had a weapon in it. It was a gray lance with a purple line in the middle of the blade part.

She smashed the ground and was having tears roll out of her eyes.

“Darn it! I couldn’t save them! Why did this have to happen?!” The girl said while crying.

Reka, Braud and Kate walked until they were right before her. The girl slowly looked up as the tears could still be seen running from her eyes.

Reka scratched the back of his neck saying:

“Hi.” with a slight smile.

The girl gave a confusing look.

“Who are you?” She asked.


Heads up the next chapter will be the last in this volume!

Reka borrowed Major's power for the first time and it seemed that Alpha had other goals in mind. Another action packed chapter am I right?!

There is a new word that popped up in this and the previous chapter. "Grimmasker", so I will give you the definition of that.

I also changed Major's text into bold and will the change for the rest of the chapter when it gets revised.

Grimmaskers: are people that either harness or lend the power of a White Grimm in a form of a mask. The mask is achieved by successfully killing a White Grimm.

After the last chapter is up, I will give a pretty detailed afterword so stay tuned for that too!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and until next time!

 

1