Chapter 3: Diplomacy
5.7k 14 109
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Qua Toyne Principality, Capital

April 30, 1639, 11:00 A.M.

 

Prime Minister Kanata looked to the skies as he heard a peculiar chopping noise, as if a hundred wyverns were flapping their wings simultaneously. As the sounds grew louder, he squinted, identifying the source of the chopping noises: the ‘helicopters’ that the Americans were using to travel. He stepped back as they hovered above him, carefully touching down in the courtyard. Leaves from nearby trees and bushes flew every which direction, only settling down when the blades of the helicopters ceased their activity. 

 

A man in a dark suit stepped out of the lead helicopter, flanked by several burly-looking guards holding black musket-like weapons. “Prime Minister Kanata?” He called out. 

 

“Yes, I take it you're Ambassador Anders from the United States?” He walked up to shake his hand. 

 

“Yep. Glad to meet you, Prime Minister,” Anders replied, curious about the origins of Kanata’s name. “Mind if we take this inside?”

 

“Of course. Please, follow me.” Kanata led Anders and his delegation into a conference room, where several Qua Toynian leaders were already seated. 

 

“Thank you,” Anders said as he accepted a seat offered by a servant. He sat down, and pulled out several documents from his briefcase while the Qua Toynians finished setting up their papers. 

 

“Now,” Kanata said, clasping his hands together. “We shall commence the first diplomatic discussion between the Principality of Qua Toyne and the United States of America! Ambassador Anders?”

 

Anders stood up. “On behalf of the United States of America, I thank you for receiving us so kindly and at such fast speeds. I would also like to emphasize our sincerest apologies for violating your airspace.”

 

Kanata nodded. “We accept your apology. Now, for this meeting, we would specifically like to know more about your country. Who exactly are we having diplomatic talks with?”

 

Anders gathered the documents from his briefcase and distributed them. “On these documents, you will find basic information about our country and a summary of our circumstances here in this New World.”

 

As the Qua Toynian delegation picked up the documents, Anders noticed several confused looks among them. 

 

“Umm… Mister Ambassador,” Foreign Minister Matara began, “We can’t read this.”

 

“Huh?” Anders was surprised. “But… you’re speaking English right now,” he said confusingly. 

 

“That’s strange indeed…” Matara replied. “We don’t know of this language you refer to as ‘English’. To us, it seems like you’re speaking the common tongue!”

 

“Oh. I suppose we’ll have to sort this out for future discussions. For now, I can explain the details orally.” Anders nodded at one of the sailors, who turned on a projector. The projector displayed a presentation onto the polished wooden walls of the conference room, providing visual context to Anders’ explanation. The Qua Toynians were fascinated by the magical display, gasping in shock as the pictures on the wall materialized out of nowhere. 

 

The projector displayed a map of the US next to the Rodenius continent, and other landmasses in extraordinary detail. Depicted to the northeast of the Rodenius continent, the continental United States was a massive landmass exceeding the size of Rodenius. Surrounding it were several islands, made up of other summoned territories such as Guam and Puerto Rico, alongside new islands, such as the one that the United States Forces Japan (USFJ) found itself on. To the north of the United States and south of the Grameus continent, there was another large landmass, identified as ‘Alaska’, another holding of the United States. 

 

One of the Qua Toynian officials gawked at the image. “How do you produce such a map?”

 

“We use satellite imagery, but that’ll be a lecture for another time. The continental US,” Anders used a laser pointer and aimed it at the map, “has a rough size of about 3.12 million square miles. With Alaska and all of our other territories, this number becomes closer to 4 million. Across all of our lands, the United States boasts a population of about 332 million.”

 

“Hmph, there should be no country out in that direction. There is only the open ocean there! I was under the impression that this is an official meeting, not a discussion of fairy tales and legends!” Foreign Minister Matara exclaimed. 

 

“Well, I don’t know what to tell you. We were transferred from planet Earth, summoned into this world. If you still doubt the existence of the United States, why don’t you come and see for yourself?”

 

Kanata nodded. “That’s a good idea. I’ll ready a delegation.”

 

“Alright. We’ll be departing tomorrow morning; a cruise liner will be here to transport you to our shores.”

 

Kanata nodded again, wondering what kind of people these Americans were, with such hospitable offers. 

 

——

 

Port of Maihark

May 1, 1639, 8:00 A.M.

 

Sir Yagou looked out onto the harbor as one of the smaller metal ships and an enormous ship pulled in, comparable to the flat-topped vessel that was here earlier. Adorned with many windows, decorations, and even several strange constructs on the top, Yagou felt as if the ship was a floating palace. The most prominent feature of the vessel was a certain insignia of a face: a round circle in the center and two smaller circles representing large ears. Is this the vessel of a royal family in the United States?

 

Earlier, he and Foreign Minister Matara shared their concerns of an ocean-faring voyage, fearing illness and calamity on the high seas. Now, after seeing the floating palace in person, he felt his fears subsiding. “Matara, I can’t help but feel guilty that we are getting such luxurious treatment. It’s not like we’re Parpaldian royalty; we’re just diplomats from a barbarian country. Is the United States really this generous, or even wealthy, to provide such a mode of transportation for us?”

 

“If you see things from their perspective, they recognize that they are newcomers to this world. They want a good first impression, and so they send us a floating palace to transport us to their homeland.”

 

A small boat made its way toward the city as Yagou and his delegation waited. “Yes, I think they’ve given us an incredible display thus far…”

 

Ambassador Anders strolled up from behind them. “Good morning folks. Enjoying the scenery?”

 

Yagou suppressed his excitement. “Yes, I must say, I am quite amazed at the size of this vessel. Will we see any members of the royal family who sent us this seaborne palace?” He asked, pointing to the insignia. 

 

Anders chuckled. “Oh, we don’t have any royalty in the United States. No nobility or anything like that, although we do have a lot of really wealthy people. This ship is owned by a company: Disney. Due to the circumstances of the recent transfer, they haven’t been able to launch any cruises with their liners, so we rented one for the time being. Follow me, we will board the small boat and head over to the cruise liner.” He began walking down the docks. 

 

After loading everyone’s luggage onto the small boat, Yagou’s delegation boarded, staring in awe at the peculiar design. 

 

“If you don’t have sails,” Matara asked, “how do you move?”

 

Anders dragged his hand along the hull of the small boat. “This vessel moves using an engine. Below the water, a fan or turbine is attached to the hull, and when it spins, we are propelled forward. I don’t know the specifics of boat engines and propulsion, but most modern-day vessels rely on this combination of machinery.”

 

The Qua Toynian delegates nodded and took their seats. 

 

“You may want to hold onto the railing. This boat can be a bit fast.”

 

The delegates complied and felt a rumbling underneath their feet. Suddenly, the boat rocked forward, accelerating at a surprising speed as it jumped up and down, fighting the tides. Anders looked back at the delegates. A couple of them yelped in surprise, but they were overall having a good time. 

 

When they reached the cruise liner, the Qua Toynian delegates expressed emotions similar to that of Captain Vansen when he first saw the incredible height of the USS Ronald Reagan. Rather than seeing alien war machines of untold power though, these delegates encountered glittering rooms and luxuries indicative of a superpower. 

 

Anders walked with them to their rooms. “We’re going to be headed to a city along our southwestern borders: San Diego. Unfortunately, it’s going to take a few days before our airports are back up and running, so we won’t be going to Hawaii. Might as well enjoy the cruise for more time…” he muttered. “Anyway, some staff members will be here shortly, you can ask them to tour the ship if you wish. They can also give you a quick rundown of the activities they have available. There’s an open bar below decks, and the pool is free for you to use, I think. I don’t know about the slides though… you’re gonna have to ask the staff.”

 

The delegates nodded in silence, taking their time to absorb the overwhelming information provided to them. 

 

Yagou looked to his fellow countrymen. “Shall we explore the vessel?”

 

——

 

San Diego, California

May 3, 1639

 

After a relaxing couple of days on the cruise liner, Yagou sighed, realizing they could not indulge in the luxuries forever. Still, the phenomenal alien meals, magically chilled drinks, and moving picture mirrors in the rooms were something to be remembered. One of the ship’s staff helped him transfer his luggage, directing him toward the deck, before bringing a large cart of towels and other cleaning materials into his room. Yagou leaned on a railing as he waited for his delegation to arrive. The cruise liner was moving carefully as it navigated inside the bay. To the left, Yagou noticed a large facility with many winged aircraft. Throughout the landscape, numerous glass towers rose to the skies, signifying the opulence of the city. 

 

“San Diego International Airport,” a voice behind him said. 

 

Yagou turned around. “Good morning, Ambassador Anders. I must say, the city here is breathtaking! I couldn’t have ever imagined glass towers as tall as these… Goodness, I couldn’t imagine how expensive all that glass must have been!” He shook his head in astonishment. 

 

“Nah, we’ve got cheap ways to mass produce glass. Still, these skyscrapers can cost upwards of billions of dollars, which would probably amount to the net income generated by Maihark… probably.”

 

Yagou felt his brain numbing. Such a structure was so expensive, and yet these Americans are able to produce dozens of them in each city. “How many cities does your nation have?”

 

Anders shrugged. “I’ve got no clue. Hundreds? Well, here’s one thing I know for certain: San Diego ain’t the biggest city. You should see New York some day. Skyscrapers as far as the eye can see!”

 

The rest of Yagou’s delegation arrived, hearing the chilling comment given by Anders. Not only were the Americans technologically advanced, they boasted unparalleled economic might. Their thoughts were cut short as Anders continued shaking his head and sighing, “Which is why we need your help. The Summoning really dealt a number to our pockets. Trade routes forever lost, assets unattainable, somewhere out there in the void,” he looked up to the sky. “And that’s not even talking about the friends and family that are now gone…”

 

Yagou looked down solemnly.

 

Anders immediately changed the tone, becoming more vibrant. “But that also means a new beginning for us, one untouched by the worries that plagued our old home, I hope. Here, take another look out to your left. That’s one of our main naval bases here. Once we finish docking, we’ll make our way over here and then move along to the airbase on our right, where we will travel to the Capital via private jet.”

 

Yagou looked at the fleet of ships docked at the base. The port was buzzing with activity: small vehicles roaming all over the place, large constructs hoisting crates and supplies, and various types of aircraft overhead. Iron dragons roared, splitting the sky with thunder as they flew off to destinations unknown. 

 

“It’s pretty busy around here,” Anders explained. “We recently had a large storm — the same storm that brought us here — and knowing nothing about this new planet, we’re pretty much all over the place with regards to activity. We have to distribute a bunch of equipment and supplies, to begin repairs.”

 

The cruise ship finally docked. The process took less time than expected, thanks to the lack of shipping and civilian travel. Anders led the Qua Toynian delegation off the vessel, directing them to a limousine. “This is a vehicle commonly referred to as a ‘car’. In function, it is similar to carriages. The only difference is that this vehicle relies on an engine for movement, rather than a horse.” 

 

He opened the doors for the delegation members and they took their seats inside. Inside, the Qua Toynians made complimentary remarks on the spacious atmosphere of the car. Compared to the other vehicles passing by on the street, this one certainly seemed more luxurious. 

 

“We’re going to be headed to the Hilton Hotel here. We’ll be able to unload our stuff and then head back out to explore the city. I’m sure you folks are starving, so once we drop off our bags, I can bring you all downtown and we can find something to eat.”

 

The rest of the drive was quite exhausting for Anders; he was bombarded with question after question regarding American culture and the various technologies that the Qua Toynians have encountered so far. “Oh, speaking of which,” Anders said, “you’ll be getting phones at the hotel. We will instruct you on their operation, but I think a good comparison might be your mana communication devices, that your Navy uses.”

 

Much like the cruise ship, the hotel provided a similar ambience. In contrast to the relatively quiet cruise ship though, the hotel was full of people in the lobby: guests who had lost contact with home and were clamoring to acquire details. Most of them were too engrossed within their personal issues to notice the oddly clad men with long, point ears walking past. 

 

“Whew, I thought we’d get swarmed. Elves and other races don’t exist on Earth,” Anders explained. 

 

“Oh, what happened to them?” Matara asked. 

 

“Well, nothing. They never existed, at all. Elves and other races have, until now, only been in works of fiction.”

 

“I see,” Yagou said as he allowed a confused hotel staffer to take his bags.

 

——

 

After having lunch at a local sushi restaurant, Anders guided the Qua Toynians around town. 

 

“Wow, I would have loved to visit Japan. It is quite unfortunate that such a dream is impossible…” Yagou muttered. 

 

“Perhaps in another life,” Anders responded. 

 

A sharp buzzing sound halted their discussion about Japan. Looking around to identify the source, Anders pointed at a utility pole that had caught fire. A man who was working on the pole had jumped off in order to avoid getting electrocuted, and was now on the floor, tending to his legs. 

 

Yagou immediately jumped into action.

 

Anders tried to stop him, saying “Wait, let the fire department handle this!” 

 

“Let him be; he is one of the most adept we have.” Matara approached Anders, holding out a hand. 

 

Yagou ignored him and took the initiative. “Everyone, stay back from the fire!” He yelled to the surrounding bystanders. “You!” He pointed at the injured technician’s partner, “Pull your friend back!”

 

The pedestrians and technicians gave the strangely dressed man with long ears room, following his orders. Then, they witnessed a demonstration of magic, the likes of which had until recently only existed in the realm of games, shows, and books. Yagou took a deep breath and lifted his hands into the air, channeling his magical energy into a swirling ball of cold air. Then, he released it, blasting the utility pole with freezing air and putting out the electrical fire almost immediately. 

 

Seeing the fire completely gone, the bystanders applauded. Yagou ignored this as well and rushed to the injured technician. “Here, hold steady and I can help fix your legs.” He held his hands over the man’s legs, which had been twisted in a gut-wrenching position. Yagou closed his eyes and muttered something indecipherable, upon which his hands glowed a yellowish color. The technician’s legs slowly moved themselves back into the proper position, and the gashes across his skin closed, healing up completely and without any scars. 

 

“My God,” the technician said, “thank you, sir! How can I repay you?”

 

“Do not worry about repaying me, good citizen. Just take care of yourself,” Yagou stood up, brushing some dirt off his clothes. Once more, the bystanders applauded. Many had their phones out, having recorded much of the magical ordeal. 

 

Ambassador Anders stared at Yagou in shock. “What… what just happened?”

 

“Hm? I used a combination of ice magic and wind magic to put out the fire; I used healing magic to mend this worker’s legs,” Yagou responded nonchalantly. 

 

Anders, along with the crowd that had now gathered, all experienced a state of surprise. “What?” Anders said in denial. “Magic?”

 

“Correct,” Yagou stated. Then, tilting his head in confusion, he continued, “Is there no magic in the United States?”

 

“No… Like the lack of elves and other races I mentioned earlier, we also don’t have any magic. I suppose this shouldn’t come as this much of a shock, given that we’ve seen fire-breathing wyverns already, but still… Magic? That’s incredible.” Anders scratched his head. 

 

Matara interrupted, “Excuse me, Ambassador.” He showed Anders the time on his new phone. “Shouldn’t we return to the hotel now? We have to check in.”

 

“Right. Let’s go,” Anders said. 

 

——

 

San Diego, California

May 4, 1639

 

Yagou yawned as he exited his room. He lifted his bags, double checking his room to make sure he didn’t forget anything. “Excellent. Washington D.C., hm? I’m so excited!” Yagou said to himself. As he exited the door, he noticed Matara and the other delegations preparing to leave as well. “Everyone ready?”

 

They nodded. 

 

“Make sure you don’t leave anything behind.”

 

Certain that they haven’t been careless, they followed Yagou down the elevator. Ambassador Anders was already at the lobby, waiting for them. “Hey, good morning. Did you folks have a good rest?”

 

“Most certainly,” Yagou said. “The magical wind generator that produced cold air out of nowhere was very soothing.”

 

Anders smiled. “The air conditioner. And it’s not magical; it relies on technology that is subject to the laws of thermodynamics, so it unfortunately doesn’t produce the cold air out of nowhere. I bet our scientists would love to study magic,” he said. 

 

Yagou and Matara looked at each other, thinking the same thing. “Of course, once we discuss a suitable agreement during our negotiations.”

 

They walked outside and entered a black SUV. Anders looked back toward them. “Say, since we’re ahead of schedule today, do you folks want to see an airshow?”

 

——

 

San Diego Naval Base

 

“Now, there isn’t an official airshow going on today, but one of the patrols should be returning sometime soon. I can ask them to put on a little demonstration before they land.”

 

Anders walked over to an office while the Qua Toynian delegation waited outside, garnering many stares from the base personnel and pedestrians on the sidewalk outside. After a couple minutes, Anders emerged from the office, bearing good news. “Looks like we’re in luck. Should be seeing some nice stuff in about a couple minutes.”

 

Sure enough, a couple minutes later, two F-35s soared overhead. With near impeccable timing, the jets broke the sound barrier in full view of the city, earning scores of cheers and hollering from the pedestrians below, who were very excited to have witnessed a free, unscheduled airshow. Feeling the sonic boom in their bones, Yagou and Matara joined in the applause. 

 

“By the Heavens, that was astonishing! So were these the same type of iron dragon that flew over Maihark?” Yagou wondered. 

 

“No, these are F-35s. Our latest multirole fighter aircraft. The one that flew over Maihark was a reconnaissance plane. These, on the other hand, are some of the most versatile killers we’ve ever tossed up into the skies. I’m pretty much a nerd for stuff like this. The F-35 is armed with a long range radar system and is equipped with stealth technologies such as…”

 

Yagou and Matara tuned him out, caring little for the explanations and focusing on the jets performing loops above. All that resided in their minds at this point was determination. If the United States were to send iron dragons such as these into Qua Toyne, there would be no competition at all. On the other hand, if the United States were to use these against Louria, it could make all the difference. 

109