Chapter 61: Gesta’s Gamble
2.9k 11 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

February 10

Washington D.C.

Quiet roads and sidewalks breezed past as Prince Gra Cabal looked out of the window of his car, admiring the scenery. Gesta’s delegation similarly analyzed the passing views. Pedestrians sparsely populated the streets — a stark contrast from what he had seen in San Diego and New York. Everything he saw suggested that this was a rather typical population center, certainly not befitting for the title of ‘capital city’. If anything, New York City — which was built up much more than Ragna — was his impression of a capital city. 

Curious about the city’s small size and limited grandeur compared to capitals such as Ragna, Runepolis, Otaheit, and even Leiforia, Cabal asked, “Agent Nomura, is this truly the capital city? It’s quite a bit smaller than New York City…”

Nomura chuckled, “Yes, Your Highness, it is a bit smaller. I’ve asked this question a few times before when I studied history back in the day. There isn’t one single reason, more like multiple. Washington D.C. was founded very late, in relation to human history on Earth. Unlike the capitals of the Old World, which were built upon centuries of conquest and hundreds of generations, D.C. was built for the main function that a capital would serve.”

The inquisitive prince prodded Nomura further, “So this city primarily serves a mostly bureaucratic and governmental purpose?”

Nomura answered with caution, wondering if Prince Cabal was asking because he wanted to plan a decapitation strike. “Somewhat, although having fifty other state capitals certainly helps with that. I would elaborate further, but this isn’t my field of expertise.”

Cabal backed down, seemingly satisfied with the answer. “I see. Perhaps one day I’ll return to visit these wonderful states.”

“Your Highness, that is a most appropriate idea, especially if we want to build amicable relations,” Cielia mentioned, recognizing the diplomatic impact of having an important state figure spending time in another country. 

“I agree with Miss Oudwin. Back on Earth, leaders from our closest allies would often visit the United States for vacation,” Nomura brought up. 

Wary of the prince’s influence and friendly disposition to the Americans, Gesta felt that such activities were against his and His Excellency’s interests. His investments in war industry stocks along with his relations with many pro-war investors would falter if the Prince continued to be friendly with the Americans. He quickly countered, “Your Highness, it is also a distraction from your studies and princely duties. I apologize for this, but your father was also very adamant when he requested your non-interference in my department’s matters.” Gesta took a breath, relaxing his expression and switching to a less aggressive tone, “It is best not to entertain the notion until His Excellency grants permission. I hope you understand.”

Prince Cabal replied sternly, “I appreciate the reminder, Gesta.” He stood his ground and returned the favor, “I would also like to remind you that my memory is pristine. I spoke with Father and can recall his words. With that said, I believe spectating the negotiations doesn’t count as interference. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind if I simply watched?”

“Ah.” Gesta smiled, giving the impression of polite courtesy even though his smile came from relief. “I actually have no say in that matter. The American President actually wanted to see you, Your Highness. It was on Cielia’s schedule for our Washington D.C. visit.”

Cabal scratched the back of his head, “Oh, I suppose I must’ve missed that.” He turned to face Cielia, “Miss Oudwin, do you know what is required of me?”

Cielia nodded, “Yes, Your Highness. Your meeting with President Lee includes a photo shoot. Unfortunately, you’ll have to entertain their press for a moment before you are able to discuss matters privately with the President.”

“I see… And what will you be doing?”

“We’ll be going over terms with our American counterpart: the Secretary of State and his department. I have a copy of your schedule here, Your Highness,” she handed Cabal a piece of paper. “There seems to be time conflicts between your responsibilities and the negotiations. I fear it may be difficult for you to be present during the meetings.”

“Very well, I understand.” Cabal looked each of the Foreign Affairs officials in the eyes, “I trust that you will carry out my Father’s will exceptionally.”

“Of course, Your Highness,” Gesta said, followed by similar acknowledgements by Cielia and Dallas. 

Conversation in the vehicle died down as they approached the Blair House. To the privileged Gra Valkans, the structure’s exterior was disappointingly unremarkable. It was nearly indistinguishable from the other buildings they had seen on their way here. The moment they stepped foot inside, however, they were met with a not-so-unremarkable interior that seemed to represent the epitome of humble luxury. The artwork and furniture inside screamed ‘classy’, despite the unsuspecting outside. 

As Cabal and his cohorts admired the elegance within, they couldn’t help but wonder what such a design implied about their position. Compared to the luxury hotels and megamansions they’ve visited, this residence — and by extension the White House itself — were far too humble. For a nation like the United States, with all its power and economic prosperity, why were the homes of its leaders so… plain?

Cabal walked up to Nomura, who had just finished giving orders to a group of his men, and spoke his mind. “Agent Nomura,” he called out to him. 

“Your Highness, enjoying the place?”

Cabal smiled politely. “I am indeed, although I must ask: is it standard policy to minimize the grandeur of your leaders’ homes? Compared to the estates we’ve seen in San Diego and New York and on the Internet, this place is rather… how shall I say,” he paused, searching for an appropriate adjective before finally settling, “... Bland.”

Nomura gave an understanding nod and explained, “Your Highness, Earth history is full of grand palaces and castles, and there are still places that uphold this line of thinking. We broke away from such societies when this nation was founded, and installed restrictions on our leaders to ensure — as much as possible — that they don’t grow too powerful and that they actually represent and work for the people.”

“In that case, how would other nations know how powerful your leaders are?”

“Back on Earth, everybody knew. I’m sorry, but I don’t know how to really explain this. I guess it’s just something that became unnecessary over time.”

Cabal was still curious, but ceased his questioning. He figured that he could probably learn why from the President himself, and that it was better if he didn’t distract Nomura from his work. “I see. Well, I’ll be off to ready myself for the cameras. Thanks for your answers, Agent Nomura.”

——

Planning for the upcoming meeting with the American Secretary of State, Gesta privately coordinated strategy with Cielia and Dallas. While Prince Cabal was readying himself for crowd pleasing and the press, Gesta reviewed plans authorized by the Emperor. Laid out on a table in front of them were three packets, each detailing a specific plan to be carried out depending on the present circumstances. 

The first packet contained Emperor Gra Lux’s preferred strategy, which favored caution, but still left some room for future aggressive policies. Representing Gesta’s opinion on the matter, this strategy called for a relatively neutral approach to the United States. Since it was way too early to make any conclusions about the technology, economy, and military strength of the United States, Gesta was averse to locking themselves in a situation they wouldn’t be able to back out of — be it friendly or aggressive. He wanted to buy time, divulging as little information as possible about the Gra Valkas Empire while learning as much as they could about the United States. Already, they saw an opportunity with Naguano’s freedom of navigation around museums and libraries, and Gesta found it prudent to take advantage of this. By establishing minor agreements such as trade deals, Gesta could facilitate the subtle import of American knowledge, procured slowly by Gra Valkan corporations and ‘tourists’. 

Most importantly, he could seek a non-aggression treaty. With relations between the Americans, Muans, and Mirishials growing stronger, the possibility of friendships — perhaps even alliances — between their host countries become more and more likely. In an abrupt change of character, Emperor Gra Lux issued explicit orders to not draw the wrath of the Americans. Gesta surmised that it had something to do with the video his department had received during their first encounter with the American diplomat. At first, he thought it was yet another piece of propaganda, designed to scare the proud Gra Valkans into submission. The Emperor’s reaction suggested otherwise; his reaction suggested that the fear was indeed real. Further research conducted by Naguano corroborated this, leading Gesta to question his loyalty to the warhawks and war industry, and to wonder why the Emperor wanted to potentially wage war in the future. 

Amidst a conversation with the arrogant and aggression-prone Dallas, the realization struck him. There was only one possible reason, aside from insanity, that the Emperor wanted this path open: he has access to a similar superweapon, or is on the cusp of procuring one. To gamble on this assumption during negotiations would be reckless, but profitable as long as the Americans don’t call his bluff. 

If circumstances suggested that his bluff didn’t matter, or that the Americans were somehow impervious to such weapons, then the second and third strategies were his fallback plans. 

The second strategy, developed by Cielia, outlined a road to peace and friendship, calling for the establishment of deep trade relations followed by research agreements. Although this route guaranteed immunity from American firepower, it essentially reduced the status of the Gra Valkas Empire to a mere satellite, barely different from Mu and the Holy Mirishial Empire. This admission of inferiority was unacceptable, and therefore was the least preferred of the three strategies. 

The final strategy, developed in tandem by Kurtz and Dallas, emphasized isolationism. Modified by research into American isolationism during World War 2, the strategy proposed minimal contact with the Americans, aside from minor trade and other opportunities that allowed for spying. A Pearl Harbor styled preemptive strike was additionally proposed by Dallas, but was quickly struck down by Naguano. He argued against the logistical efficiency of the plan and highlighted its ineffectiveness against an opponent with superior surveillance technologies. 

Confirming their decision to follow through with the first strategy, the trio continued to pose hypotheticals and generate responses in preparation for the negotiations. 

——

The White House

A block away from the Gra Valkans’ discussions, President Lee listened in from the Oval Office. He and the various intelligence agencies kept track of the Gra Valkans via small recording devices planted throughout their designated hotels, vehicles, and devices. He watched the cameras on the large monitor, eyeing the various feeds as the Gra Valkans talked amongst themselves. Director Klein and Secretary Heiden sat on the couch beside him, plotting their next moves based on the delegation’s conversations. 

“God Almighty,” Heiden said, watching as Gesta continued to converse with Dallas about Emperor Gra Lux’s words. 

“This is the clearest confirmation we have yet of the existence of a Gra Valkan nuclear arsenal,” President Lee said in shock. 

Klein didn’t share their sentiment, instead reacting with suspicion. “It could very well be confirmation, sir, but I think it’s more likely that they’re still in the process of figuring it out. Sir, I would recommend tasking Defense Support Program satellites to monitor the Gra Valkan mainland and their island territories for signs of nuclear testing.”

“Hmm…” Lee took a breath, considering the suggestion. “Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Regardless of our discoveries,” he turned toward Heiden, “I believe this new revelation is important. Gordon, if possible, I would like non-proliferation to take precedence over any other negotiation topics.”

Heiden nodded, understanding the risks of allowing an aggressive, expansionist nation like the Gra Valkas Empire free reign over weapons development. “Sir, what if they already have stockpiles and are unwilling to yield to our demands?”

Lee’s brows and mouth twisted in frustration. “I don’t— Um,” he sighed, “In that case, gee, I think it would then be best to focus on restricting their missile technology. Even though their technology isn’t as advanced as ours, there is still the possibility of them using nukes against our new friends, or worse. I know this isn’t characteristic of their arrogance, but it’s possible they could use one of these weapons as a dirty bomb and hit one of our coasts.”

Heiden replied with a simple “yeah”. After a brief silence, he continued, “Sir, is there anything else you’d like me to focus on?”

“I… will leave the rest to your discretion, Gordon. I’m open to the prospect of that Elysian Defense Initiative we heard about earlier. Just keep in mind that I’d rather get closer with the native Elysians than with the Gra Valkans. If you’ll excuse me,” he shook the hands of Klein and Heiden, “I’ve got to prepare for a meeting with royalty. Hopefully he’s got secrets to spill.”

——

Author’s Note: 

Interested in discussing the story or asking questions? Join my discord server!

Discord: https://discord.gg/ymbTbNw

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd 

I post extra free chapters for every $50 in total donations as appreciation for your support! 

Check out my Patreon for more details!

63