Chapter 9 – Shopkeeping
230 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The underbelly of the Outer Districts is a wild world. People from every corner of the OD, Outskirts, and even the City came to shop, peddle, and request services. It operated under a don’t ask, don’t tell basis. Of course, a place filled with untrustworthy people wasn’t a place that followed rules all that well even if the rules were made by them. 

The main hub was in the back of the Plaza, hidden away from all the shops and restaurants. It’s quite easy to accidentally wander in as there was no actual differentiation. Gradually, the district shifted from a world of legitimacy to one of outlaws. You could tell where you were though from the people around and the looks they gave. 

I scanned the storefronts behind sunglasses and a cloth mask I fashioned out of a shirt I took from some inattentive person who was drying their clothes. Lavender scented. Someone had some spare credits. 

The shops I was looking for were in the middle of everything. The place was packed today, people bumping into each other and shoving to get through. The cacophony of bartering and arguing filled the air to the point where the only way you would be able to talk would be to yell. As I squeezed past people, peddlers spotted me and tried to sell me whatever product they had. I paid them no mind though. I knew exactly where I needed to go.

The stall I was looking for was in the middle of all the chaos. It was a prime location, surrounded by potential customers and unavoidable for those who were just browsing. Perfect for a vendor.

I heard the shop before seeing it. A boisterous voice cut through the clamor of noise, shouting for all to hear about food so cheap you wouldn’t believe it and that it was of the highest quality. I pushed past people to get to the front of the stall where a mountain of a man stood. Standing upward of almost 200 centimeters, he had broad shoulders and muscles on muscles that he showed off in his short sleeve shirt. He didn’t become like that naturally, of course. A steady diet of steroids and mods will give you a body like that without the conditioning. 

“Shopkeeper,” I said with a nod. He had a name, but no one uses it nowadays. Leonid was what it was. 

He looked down at me. He was one of the few with the height that could do that in the Outer Districts. His eyes lit up with recognition, and he let out a hearty laugh.

“Fae! Haven’t seen your mug in a while,” he boomed. “What brings you here? If it's something special, I’ll need to look in the back or order it for you.”

“That’s fine,” I replied. “I’m just here for some supplies. Are you busy right now?”

“Business is a bit slow, so I have some time,” he said. I glanced behind him at the dense crowd clamoring for his attention as they waved and shouted. I shrugged.

“Alright. I need a bit of information as well, if you’re open to that. It won’t be anything too pricey.”

“I can give you some for free. Think of it like a gift, yeah? You won’t owe me,” he grinned. “Come on, let’s go inside.”

He gestured to me to follow him inside his tent. It was a unique one, its sheer size making it stand out in the market. When I ducked inside, I took a look around. He had added a few upgrades since I was last there. There was an air filter that was running, cooling the space within the tent and keeping the air fresh along with new lights that illuminated the space evenly. 

I watched as Shopkeeper sat himself down on a chair, half expecting it to break under the force of his dense weight.  He leaned back and reached under his desk, the lone piece of actual furniture within the tent. The rest of the space was filled with boxes of unspecified items that would best be kept unspecified and odd trinkets here and there.

“So, supplies,” he said. “What kind? The living kind, or the killing kind?”

“Living. I need food, water, and all that,” I replied. I scanned the area. “I don’t suppose you have another seat hidden away somewhere?”

“Probably, but emphasis on the hidden part,” he laughed. “You’re a strong one though. A little standing shouldn’t hurt. Unless the years have gotten to you.”

“I’m twenty five,” I replied dryly. “It’s fine. I don’t think this will be a long conversation.”

“We’ll see. What are you offering?” he asked.

“I think I have some favors you owe me, if my memory works?” I said, leaning against a stack of boxes. His eyebrows raised.

“You’re not one to call those in. Did something happen?” 

“Nothing you should be worried about. No one is going to be crashing in here.”

“Alright. How much you need?”

“A two week’s worth,” I said. With Sapphire that would be one week, plenty of time to find a more stable place for temporary shelter. 

“Two week’s, eh,” he repeated, leaning back. “Let me see. What kind of food we talking about here?”

“I’m not asking for steak, if that’s what you’re getting at. Just rations. Taste isn’t a big deal here. I just need nutrition.”

“If that’s the case, one favor is good enough.”

“Feeling generous today, aren’t you,” I said. “What’s got you in a good mood?”

“I can’t be generous to a friend in need?” he replied with faked shock. 

“What do you want?” It was better to cut to the chase. Doing the whole song and dance was something I never really enjoyed and now was not the time.

“I want you to feed my curiosity,” he said. “Tell me why you’re here. There’s been some chattering and the blue jackets have been moving more. You being here can’t be a coincidence.”

“Where have they been moving?” I asked. 

“What’s it to you?”

“If I know where, I can tell you if it’s because of me.”

“Good point. Junkyard and Plaza. They’ve been asking questions and I don’t like that. Especially the ones in Plaza.”

“Then that might be me,” I said. 

“What did you do?” he asked. “This is the most active I’ve seen them in some time.”

“Got involved with a few Sunbreakers and they got in touch with their connections. You know the police would love an opportunity at me given my history with them.”

The Shopkeeper nodded. “So these supplies are for you to lay low for a bit and wait for the storm to pass by.”

“Yep. I think it’ll be better for all of us if I can get out of everyone’s hair for a bit.” 

“Fair enough. You’re in some deep shit,” he laughed. “How does it feel?”

“Familiar,” I replied. “Are we good about the supplies now?”

“We’re good. I’ll just give you a box. Should be enough. You also said you wanted info?”

“I do. I haven’t been keeping up with the movements of the gangs lately. I just want a run down of what’s going on recently. Nothing too secret.”

“I don’t think you even need a favor for that then,” he said. “There hasn’t been much going on, honestly. Most of the gangs have kept to their territories for the most part. No wars going on. Minimal fights this month. So far. There is a bit of chatter about the Serpents.”

“Oh?”  I stood up a bit straighter. 

“I thought that might interest you,” he grinned. “It’s not much, but there has been some talk that they’ve been looking around for some interesting things. Weapons. Supplies.”

“They’re not planning for a territory war I hope.”

“I hope so as well. This place is right in the middle of disputed territory. A war would be bad for business.”

A war would be terrible for the whole OD. The Serpents were considered the largest gang in the place with territory in every quadrant. The only possible gang that they would be looking to fight would be the Sunbreakers who held power in the form of connections rather than territory. A war between the two would involve the entire Outer Districts.

“Are they really going to risk that? They would be targeting the Sunbreakers, wouldn’t they? The police will be involved.”

“That’s another worry,” he said. “Might be good for you though. They distract the police for ya. You hide until the fighting starts, then you’re free.”

“Hmph. Given my luck so far, I’ll just end up dealing with both of them at the same time.”

“I wouldn’t put it past you,” he laughed. “That’s all I have though. Things might be getting stirred up. Possible war. Police coming. All that fun stuff.”

“Thanks. I’ll take the supplies and get out of your hair now.”

“I’ll get the boxes ready then,” he said, getting to his feet. He began walking out of the tent, pausing a bit at the exit. “Also. Fae. You don’t need to keep hiding, you know? Go back to your heydays. We had a lot of fun. I kinda miss it sometimes.”

“That’s not something I want. The life I have right now is good,” I smiled. “I got into a lot of trouble with you.”

“Well. If you ever change your mind, you know where I am.” With that, he ducked out, the flaps of the tent falling behind and covering him.


 

The box of supplies that the Shopkeeper gave me was quite unwieldy. Luckily, I remembered to ask him for a disguise which he gave without any complaints. He provided me with a blonde wig along with a pair of contacts and glasses. There wasn’t enough time for any makeup which was unfortunate, but a mask was good enough. 

Before returning to the safe house underground, I decided to take a small detour. With my cumbersome box, I strolled down the street until I stood before a fortress of concrete and metal. The term fortress was not a description. It was built to withstand anything from a crazed bomber to a all out war. 

This was the police station. At the foot of the steps that led up to the guarded entrance was a holographic board. On it were a number of images of people and camera footage along with their respective rewards if the people were caught. I scanned it, looking for myself anywhere on there. I let out a sigh of relief. The situation hadn’t escalated too far yet. There was still time for me to go to the Sunbreakers and negotiate something with them. 

“These Serpents are getting a bit out of hand, eh?” 

I cocked my head and found a man standing next to me, looking at the wanted board. There was no one else around, so he must have been speaking to me. Or he was crazy. That was always a possibility.

“Their names have been popping up on the list,” he continued.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“You can tell by their names,” he replied with a slow nod. “Codenames. Named after snakes, all of them. Well, the top ones are. Recruits are hatchlings.”

“They seem really into the snake thing.”

“From what I’ve heard, their founder loved snakes. I never did, personally. Scaly worms that can kill you. Not my thing.”

“You said they were popping up?”

“Yes. I come here everyday to look at this board. Never know when you run across someone on here. I’ve been seeing some interesting names. High rankers, most likely.”

He pointed at one image. Well, to call it an image would be dishonest. It was just a large question mark with a name under it along with the codename “Cobra”.

“Cobra or King Cobra. Leader of the Serpents. He’s been on the list since forever since I think the leaders keep changing. No one knows who the current king is. That one there,” he continued, pointing at another one. “Python. Another ranker. He popped here about a week ago.”

“Cobra and Python. I suppose there’s a Viper as well.”

“Naturally. Right there,” he said, pointing at an image of a man. “He’s a new one. A few days ago, his image appeared on here.”

“I see,” I muttered, staring at it. It was a man with a crewcut, your stereotypical gang member complete with random face tattoos, piercings, and a cybernetic eye. “I would be careful, if I were you.”

“Hmm?”

“Trusting this board. These pictures. You never know if they’re real or not.”

“I’ll keep that in mind then,” he smiled. He gave me a small nod. “I’ll be on my way now, ma’am. It was good speaking with you.”

As he walked away, I stared at the blank image of Cobra. If the Serpents were about to start a war, then maybe it was time for me to have a little chat with them. Though, they might not be too happy to see my face. But that would be their problem.

Yay, another chapter out. I really need to allocate my writing time better.

7