Captured
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Xing Tian returns to the waking world, she feels as if her body has been weighed down by lead. Well, not an apt description of it since as soon as her senses are back she feels sore.

Especially her muscles.

After the soreness comes to the softness of a bed. The blanket envelops her body nice and warm while the bed ties her down with its comfort. She wishes she can stay on the bed for as long as she wants to let her muscles recover.

If only life were that easy for her.

"Hey, are you awake already?" A monotonous woman voice questions her before she finally decides it's not worth it to keep the woman waiting.

Upon waking up, she sees a rough looking woman who has a scar on her cheek. Her black long hair somehow compliments her rough look that gives off an aura of authority. The blue eyes observe Xing Tian, seemingly trying to discern her current state.

Out of the blue, the woman pours a cup of water for the bedridden girl. "I guess sleeping for 12 hours got you parched."

'Tomboy,' Xing Tian suddenly thought when she heard the woman's thought. She takes the cup and drinks it slowly, feeling her throat rejuvenate thanks to the liquid.

"Thank you."

The woman nods before taking a stool to sit and fish out a clipboard. "Now that you are awake, I'm going straight to the point. I am Commander Aquila and right now I am going to interrogate you."

Xing Tian nods nervously, remembering the event yesterday.

"Don't be too nervous, I just want to know what led you to the alley way yesterday."

Obliging the woman's request, she began to recall the event the day before. Her purpose to visit Faunus, to her intention to experience the nightlife, then finally the battle itself.

"... after that I fainted."

Aquila nods and places down the clipboard. "That matches with my subordinate's report."

The girl is visibly relieved only to become tense when Aquila looks at her with her sharp eyes. "Now then, I would want to inform you about the consequences of your actions."

"You have stolen experimental military equipment, interfered with a military operation, and effectively performed vigilantism." Aquila can feel migraine rising as the girl nervously smiles when she lists her 'crimes'. "All of these crimes can give you up to 10 years imprisonment."

Still no visible sign of fear, only nervousness. One of a kind case perhaps.

"However, that would've been the case if not for the situation you got yourself into."

That got Xing Tian curious.

"You see, the experimental equipment you got has been programmed to DNA-Locked. With this program, we are trying to ensure that no one outside of capable candidates can use it."

A face of clarity falls upon the Asian as information is given to her. "So that equipment has been locked into me." Aquila confirms that is the case with a nod. "Couldn't all of you remove the lock?"

"We would. If not for the fact you got a 100% compatibility with that particular equipment."

"Huh?"

The commander takes a deep breath and begins her explanation. "Allow me to explain. This experimental equipment is called Antivirus Equipment, A.V.E for short. They are a set of equipment for us to counter a threat known as Glitch."

"So that's what the shiny armor was!"

"Yes. These equipment are actually made from the core of the Virus, the big monster you killed yesterday." Aquila then shows her a picture of the same blue orb that is left behind by the Creeper.

"These cores are like the 'soul' of the monsters, containing their base power and their sentience. This creates the need for compatibility between the equipment and the user."

Xing Tian digests the new information before replying. "So the equipment has a mind of their own, and they would only work with people they like?"

"Yes. We have made many tests before to find who can use these equipment. So far, the highest we ever got is 86.7%. That was before we found you." At the last statement, Aquila's eyes narrow in frustration.

"Was that you?"

Taking a deep breath, Aquila confirms it is her. "I was supposed to be the user of the [Defender], but I didn't get it DNA-Locked to me before deployment. In fact, there was supposed to be more tests to be done before safe usage."

Feeling guilty for robbing the commander's power, she apologizes. "I didn't know the consequences of using it… I was thinking I could save you."

Aquila merely sighs in exasperation and resists the urge to pinch her nose. "Doesn't matter now since we are moving on to your current punishment."

At the mention of her punishment, Xing Tian tense up. Aquila mentally smirks at the reaction, at least knowing the girl is aware of her situation. However, on the surface Aquila shows more seriousness.

"I'll say it straight. You'll have to work for us until you either die in the field, or retire from the field for irrecoverable injuries. And you have no say in it."

Xing Tian remains silent for a while as she processes the new information.

'She stays calm instead of lashing out. That's a nice trait.' The Commander silently praised the girl. Right now the girl is in an impasse of her life so taking her time is crucial. She told the girl to give some thought and began to make her way to leave the girl alone.

"Just a question…"

Curiously, Aquila turns back to the girl. Well, she can entertain her with an answer. "Go ahead."

"... can I save… or even protect people from being killed?"

"An interesting question… does it have to do with the Last Arabian War you got yourself into?"

Xing Tian remains silent to that question. Well, not an important matter. The commander still has a question to answer to the girl anyway.

"For the answer to your question, as long as you get to them in time. There is no way to save or protect everyone unless you're fast enough to reach them with your hands."

Nodding at the answer, Xing Tian returns to silence while the Commander leaves her alone.

Back to paperwork again and, hopefully, 'that' new set of equipment will be done by the end of the day.

As of writing this, I have no idea what is the general reception of this story. It only have double digit views and no review so I am scared whether it is good or not. I don't know, but I will continue writing this weekly. 

0