10: Identity Is A Hot Potato
233 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fan Shuangxi didn't see even a shadow of Shen Qian but her search did help her to calm down and recall the exchange between Two and her.

There is one sentence that keeps on repeating in her mind.

“True. What if Hao Fang's memory won't come to her? How should I tell her about Hao Fang's identity?”

Do we really have to? Her inner self grumbles

Yes. Fan Shuangxi is firm in this belief. Her instincts tell her that if Two isn't satisfied, she's going to hound Fan Shuangxi until the ends of this world. That also means Fan Shuangxi may even be caught up with Hao Fang's troubles.

Not good, definitely not good!

But if we're going to tell her about Hao Fang then, we'll have to disclose the existence of the Book of Secrets. Fan Shuangxi's inner self walks in restless circles.

Ai, as long as it's possible, we should keep the Book of Secret's existence a secret.

Fan Shuangxi snaps her fingers when an idea comes to her. “Or we could say that we know someone who knows him but because that someone is dead now so we're tasked to look for him, only that we didn't realize that he lost his memory that's why we don't know if it is really him or not?”

Oooh! Fan Shuangxi's inner self claps at the lie. You can even say that since Hao Fang's identity is a hot potato, you don't want to carelessly tell him his true identity lest she's not really Hao Fang.

“Mn!”

With that problem solved, for now, Fan Shuangxi calms down. She stands from her crouched position and dusts the dirt off the hem of her robe.

Fan Shuangxi looks around.

“Shen Qian.”

Fan Shuangxi's hands clench.

Soon after, Fan Shuangxi jumps and returns to the Cloud Ink Inn. If she had stayed even for a bit longer, she would have spied the white cloth which flutters in the wind and Shen Qian's solemn figure watching her in the distance.

“The turbid waters darken.”

Shen Qian's fine eyebrows clash and he frowns.

A gust of wind blows in his direction, and the loose attire flaps with it. Gradually, the furthest tip begins to dissipate until Shen Qian's whole body vanishes with the wind.

When morning comes, Two wakes up from the increasing activity outside their room.

Her heightened hearing gives her the scene of shuffling feet and bumping kitchenwares. She has never seen the hallway outside this room, making it difficult for her to determine whether it's because the hallway is a narrow area or the number of people walking about is numerous enough to warrant the frequent bumping.

“I heard a rich merchant just checked in last night.”

Two swivels her head towards the window. She finds Xi Shuang lounging on the wooden balcony, the woman's unchanging black attire drapes on the wooden floor without a care.

“Good morning!” Xi Shuang greets with a wide smile and gestures at the table with two covered trays. “Breakfast?”

Two nods her thanks and slowly gets out of bed. Even with the human mask on, Two's sweat is still visible. She controls her breathing while taking her steps one foot at a time. She reaches the table a minute faster than yesterday. Two doesn't waste time to celebrate the small victory as this is within her expectations. She moves the stool and sits upright.

Two's neck prickles from Xi Shuang's unblinking stare and she sends the latter a quick smile, forgetting that Xi Shuang can only see a blank face.

“Er,” Xi Shuang's gaze slides to the left and she swiftly turns away, her whole body leaning on the balcony. Xi Shuang's tense shoulders give away the awkwardness between the two.

Two begins to eat with relish. Having a mask on doesn't hinder Two from using her mouth at all while this mysterious attribute only strengthens Two's resolve in discovering how this human mask works.

This mask, this body's identity, and Xi Shuang's motives are the three subjects Two is currently focusing on. Although Two has an inkling that with the knowledge of Xi Shuang's motives, the identity of this body will also be uncovered along with it. For now, it is a delicate balance of attacking and retreating.

Two still has to give Xi Shuang face, after all.

“But there is something fishy.”

After their 'fight' last night, the atmosphere between them hasn't abated any less, in fact, another factor has introduced itself; anticipation. Two is not privy to Xi Shuang's thoughts but she can see from Xi Shuang's body language that she has decided on something important. Two can't decide if Xi Shuang will finally reveal what she's hiding or Xi Shuang is plotting a complex act to misdirect Two.

“She's not a good liar though.”

From what Xi Shuang has told Two, Xi Shuang doesn't remember how she arrived in this world. Xi Shuang narrated a simple errand and then blacking out in the middle of it. Her words paint a life of mediocrity inside Two's head. Xi Shuang's pattern of speech also hints of a young age, barely the age which one experiences the hardship of life.

Two purses her lips.

Normal and young. They reek of innocence and this is why Two easily spots the crack in the facade Xi Shuang is wearing. There's even a possibility Xi Shuang is not her name but an alias instead.

Two shrugs her shoulders and continues to eat. These small nuances, Two doesn't care much. She thinks it is a reasonable action considering that Two herself is a stranger. One must take measures to safeguard one's self but if it proves harmful...

Two's eyes flash a dangerous glint.

Fortunately, aside from being tight-lipped, Xi Shuang has proven her goodwill to Two with her actions.

Take this meal for example. It may not mean much on the surface, but providing three meals a day and making sure Two is comfortable while enduring Two's passive-aggressive challenges, reveals a personality steep with good principles.

That in itself is enough for Two to hold back.

“Thank you for the meal,” Two says to no one in particular. In the corner of her vision, Two sees Xi Shuang twitch from her blatantly stiff position.

“Ah,” Xi Shuang glances at Two but shortly breaks eye contact, “about what you said last night.”

“About the possibility of your body's memory never returning, I understand. However,” Xi Shuang pauses and as if reaching a conclusion, she turns around and meets Two's face head-on. “However, as I've said, I already told you what I know and as the person who first saw you, I will do my best to give you a stable start here in this world, the rest is up to you.”

Xi Shuang opens her mouth to add more but she hesitates.

“I also understand,” Two nods at the unspoken words. “I do not have the right to demand more and I am honestly thankful for your continued care.”

Xi Shuang's shoulders relax.

“I will be frank, Xi Shuang.”

Two observes Xi Shuang's shoulders tense again. Still, she applauds Xi Shuang for being honest with her. Such frankness will, of course, have to be met with the same attitude.

“I won't leave you until I'm safe so, until then I'll keep on bothering you!”

Fan Shuangxi, “...!”

ORZ. Fan Shuangxi's inner self right after hearing Two's response.

Shameless! Shameless! Her inner self cries.

Fan Shuangxi's initial goal is to establish peace but she never imagines Two to be thick-skinned enough to reveal her bad intentions.

Where's the subtlety? Lady, you're too aggressive! My god, why did we even save the body? Why? Her inner self rants.

“Ha...haha,” Fan Shuangxi forces a laugh in response. 

Why are you so difficult? As I thought, being alone is easier for my head. Her inner self deflates and lands on the floor in a heap.

The making of another awkward silence begins to pervade but before it can expand and envelop the whole room a well-timed knock breaks it.

“Excuse me, esteemed guests.” The male voice politely disturbs.

When Fan Shuangxi opens the door, the sweating face of the inn's manager greets her. “What is it?”

The man dabs his face with a towel but it is ineffective with his continuous sweating. The towel in his grasp has started to be damp as well.

“Ah, I wish to ask for a favor. You see...”

Fan Shuangxi, “...”

Turns out their new rich neighbor wants to occupy the whole third floor of the inn. Any existing occupants must vacate, immediately.

“No way.”

Fan Shuangxi begins to sweat from Two's firm answer. Two does have a point but isn't she too blunt? Fan Shuangxi worries.

The third floor of Cloud Ink Inn is already a premium floor with only five rooms on the floor instead of the twenty rooms found in the first and second floors. Each room on the floor is spacious enough to satisfy an egoistic narcissist.

With only their room as a comparison, Fan Shuangxi presumes that at least each of the five rooms has this standard of living; mahogany floor, circular wooden arcs separating the two bedchambers, and in the center, a set of dark red furniture to complete the lovely living room.

“Why must we sacrifice our space when we pay the same amount of money, hm?” Two reasons as she drapes herself on a wooden sofa. The sofa contains a pile of big pillows and they serve as support on Two's back while she crosses her legs on the arm of the sofa.

The effect is both domineering and enchanting.

If only there's a face, her inner self laments.

“Unless Cloud Ink Inn is willing to offend others in order to favor this new guest?” Two adds with a soft timbre.

It is the first time Fan Shuangxi hears Two using Hao Fang's masculine voice. Although the difference cannot be heard by a casual listener, for Fan Shuangxi who has heard Two screech, it is a note lower than Two’s usual speaking voice. Right now, the voice is deep and seductive; husky tinge with a crispness she translates to mean listen-to-me-or-die.

Wait, her inner self squeaks, is she inciting a conflict here? She is, right? Right?

Please don't trigger a death flag!

Ah! Her inner self pops in the middle of Fan Shuangxi’s thinking corner. Hey, let me remind you that the fee for this inn came from our coffers! Fool, don't just keep quiet! If you don't intervene we're going to be dragged around by this black-bellied miss!

Aren't we already? Fan Shuangxi sighs.

“This...” The manager's sweat grows even worst and Fan Shuangxi can almost hear his knees bumping each other due to his shaking legs.

Cloud Ink Inn's manager is in a dilemma. If he is to choose, this manager will not dare to offend the two cultivators. Ji Country may be a bountiful country but in terms of strength, it is clearly lacking. As a city belonging to a 'dry' continent, the times its citizens chance upon a cultivator is only a few and these few must be treated with the utmost respect. It is known that cultivators live a long life, many of them rise up in power over the ages and what once was a weakling may one day be a tyrant, therefore, to avoid bringing disasters unto themselves in the future, the citizens of Ji would opt to not abuse the tiger cub.

Unfortunately, the nephew of Ji Country's prominent family is staying in the inn starting today and this pompous young master is a personality that Cloud Ink Inn also cannot afford to offend.

The manager's knees weaken and he falls to the ground with an accompanying bow.

“Ah, don't!” Fan Shuangxi had raised her hands to catch him but the manager has already executed a deep prostration. Witnessing a human being this subservient, Fan Shuangxi's heart shakes.

First was Granny Fan and now this man.

Do not abandon your dignity and beg, is what she'd like to say but she swallows the words back.

“Esteemed guests, this little one will do his best to compensate you for this slight.” His back trembles as he continues, “this little one only requests to vacate this room. Please do not worry, we have prepared another room for your stay.”

“Hmph!”

“I beg--”

The manager freezes when a hand grasps his shoulder. His fear transforms into terror as he imagines his end.

“Thank you for your service. Do not fear, we accept the new arrangement.” The voice creates a resonance within the manager and the terror he wears vanished with the sweep of comfort he senses from the hand on his shoulder.

“Hey! Xi,” Two clamps her mouth when she meets Xi Shuang's glare.

“There's no need to seek that person's answer.” Xi Shuang pats the manager's shoulder while encouraging the man to stand up.

Two frowns and she suddenly grows irritated. “What do--”

Xi Shuang coincidentally says along. “After all, I'm--”

“--you mean by that, huh?” Two growls.

“--the one paying the bills.” Xi Shuang smiles brightly.

Two, from her domineering position, “...”

Why does she feel this position is rather inappropriate? Ahem, let us sit properly.

The manager profusely says his thanks and begins to guide the two to their new accommodation. As soon as it is confirmed that they will be moving, five servants enter the room and begin to clean it.

Fan Shuangxi carelessly watch about while Two finally understands the root of all the hustle she heard earlier. It is all because the servants are replacing all the furniture and decorations inside the other rooms this morning.

“Such superfluous demands,” Two mutters beside Xi Shuang as they step down to the second floor of Cloud Ink Inn. Flaunting one's wealth and inconveniencing others. Mn, this young master's insecurity is noted.

Finally concluding her impression, Two sweeps the event out of her mind. Truth be told, changing one's area of slumber and rest doesn't bother her at all but her nature dictates she can't let someone a free pass when they are clearly unreasonable. Putting someone in their place is a venture Two gladly undertakes, unfortunately, her dear benefactor doesn't want to cause trouble and as the leech, Two can only follow Xi Shuang's lead.

Two pauses after taking five steps to catch her breath. While doing so, she surveys the interior of the abode she's been sleeping in for nearly a week.

It is a big place; spacious and wide rather than tall and narrow. The center of the building is its dark mahogany staircase and a reception area is situated on the side. Each floor has the same wooden railings in their room and encompasses the side while leaving the entrance's side bare and hanging a navy blue cloth on the walls above it.

A set of lines and circles akin to a scripture is painted on it with a big circle at its center, almost like a sun only that the rays are small symbols. Each figure is a foreign image but strangely induces a comfortable feel inside Two.

“What does it says?” Two points the navy blue cloth with its silver ink.

The manager in front stops in his steps and inspects the area Two pointed, probably because he is given a new lease in life the manager's visage is glowing and rosy. He doesn't show an outward look of irritation after having been disrupted from his current task, rather, he is doing his best to maintain an authentic and congenial smile.

Fan Shuangxi also shots a quick glance at the banner. It is an elegant piece of blue and silver details. Quite nice but uninteresting for Fan Shuangxi.

“Ah, that, my dear esteemed guests,” the manager beams, “is a gift from a cultivator my master, the owner of Cloud Ink Inn, saved long ago.” The manager's eyes twinkle and his chest puffs out at the piece.

“A cultivator huh?” Two murmurs, the urge to caress the inviting cloth an itch she can't ignore. Her eyes remain glued at the simple design, lingering on the symbols with its curves and arcs. If she has a brush in her hands, she bets she can recreate them with ease. The confidence is unfounded but Two can't shake the notion she has painted them herself.

From afar it looks like a silver sun with twelve rays and a core symbol in its center. But in close proximity, it isn't a connected drawing, rather, it is a collection of meticulous symbols, some repeating while some only drawn once, a sort of words from a language only the painter understands. Then, at its center is a symbol that, Two squints, seems to say, 'protect'.

“This cultivator is said to be a prominent figure now, according to my master.” The manager further explains, “master considers it this establishment's fortune to be bestowed with a gift of protection from such a figure.”

“So, it really says to protect.” Two's absent-minded remark is heard by the manager.

The manager is taken aback and he blinks. “Esteemed guest, you can read the runes?”

Rune? Fan Shuangxi knits her brows. She inspects the banner. So, this is what runes look like. They're unreadable to her. Hm, why is that?

“Yes.” Two raises a brow, “am I not suppose to read it?”. Her haughty tone makes Fan Shuangxi sweat on the sidelines

He's just asking, just asking! Her inner self says with an eye-roll.

Strangely, the manager doesn't relapse into a quivering mess. Instead, he becomes excited as if chicken blood is injected into his blood.

“What fortune!” The manager cries. “Our master once said to us, if a person comes who can read the runes it can only be one person and one person only.”

The manager quickly kneels on the ground with a giant smile on his face. His expression is akin to a child finding his long lost favorite toy on a shelf. Eager and almost boisterous, the manager bows.

Two takes a step down, curious while Fan Shuangxi has a sudden feeling she's going to be trolled.

“Who is that person, if I may ask?” Two's quick change into politeness territory further enhances the feeling inside Fan Shuangxi.

The manager raises his head with a creased forehead. “Who? Why, it is you, esteemed guest,” he pauses, “ah, I apologize for my impudence. Please, allow me to call you by your enlightened name.”

Wait! Wait! Fan Shuangxi's world turns to a sudden halt.

“Permission granted.”

The fuck! Her inner self screeches and Fan Shuangxi gapes at Two.

“This servant's deepest thanks, Venerable Hao Fang!”

Oh. My. God. The three words echo inside Fan Shuangxi's head.

Welp, at least she knows his name now, is her inner self's follow-up assurance.

5