11: Snip, Snip
197 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sometimes Fan Shuangxi wonders what her real role is in the world. No, not the role of her body but her as a person. Why of all the billions on Earth, she was chosen to inhabit this body and be a baby maker at that?

How insignificant is her existence that some unnamed power can just pluck her soul from her home and force her here. It is a question asked over and over, when she's at her darkest moments, when she is alone, when she finds herself alienated from her surroundings. Everything feels like she is watching a movie, a three-dimensional movie.

Why?

Maybe she offended someone that's why she's in this mess?

Fan Shuangxi sits to the side deep in contemplation while the manager of Cloud Ink Inn and Hao Fang converse. Yes, Two is Hao Fang now.

How can Fan Shuangxi tell? Well, Two's act began soon after the revelation of his name. As if a switch had turned on inside her head, Two began to interact with the manager like a long lost friend.

Through her well-put inquiries, Two was able to learn who is 'Hao Fang' and from that moment onwards, she has embodied him.

This is an award-winning actress...in action.

Fan Shuangxi can't suppress the fear in her heart.

She only now realized how scary Two can be. The woman lives and breathes acting, who knows, maybe Two's been acting with Fan Shuangxi all along. Maybe even letting Fan Shuangxi feel needed so that she won't leave Two alone!

If so, Fan Shuangxi's heart begins to boil, shame on her for being a manipulative bitch!

But isn't that understandable? This is a world where it's every man for himself, her inner self softly reminds.

Still! Fan Shuangxi argues.

Don't be naive! Her inner self whacks her.

Still! Would it kill her to be kind first?

Uhm, yes? Where are you, fool? Her inner self whacks her again.

Fan Shuangxi frowns and she slaps herself.

Her inner self, “...” then she proceeds to whack her for her idiocy.

Hao Fang and the manager, “...”

Fan Shuangxi notices the sudden silence and chuckles. “I feel rather sleepy all of a sudden. I slapped my face to wake up.”

The manager nods his head upside down in understanding. “This servant had tarried far longer than necessary.”

“Esteemed guest,” he bows to Fan Shuangxi and then to Hao Fang, “Venerable Hao.”

“En.”

Fan Shuangxi follows the manager's back with her eyes, a thoughtful expression appearing on her face. This development confounds her and she tries hard to recall Hao Fang's life but in the end, she can't determine if she has read about this particular achievement of Hao Fang or not. She is ashamed to confess she has gone through his life without a care, the little details of which she has discarded in her mind after closing Google. Orz.

The soft click of their door drags Fan Shuangxi out of her reverie. She leans on her seat and forces a cough. “So, Venerable Hao Fang?” She attempts to open up while absentmindedly playing with her left earring.

“En.” Hao Fang gracefully sips the warm tea on the table and provides no comment after. 

Fan Shuangxi tries not to frown with his stingy reply. He doesn't need to explain the status of his body but the least he can do is continue the small talk!

Venerable, huh. Gah! This is bad! Her inner self squats.

Out of the five stages of the Path, the fifth stage is the most difficult stage. Passing through its nine levels to ascend is akin to journeying across tall mountains, each higher and perilous than the last. Due to this, all nine levels are given a name in acknowledgment of a cultivator's perseverance and prowess.

Once one enters the first level of the fifth stage, a cultivator is baptized with the name “Blessed Hero”. It is changed to Spirit Master at the second level, True Monarch in the third, the fourth is Spirit General, Blessed Marshal when one attains the fifth level. In the sixth level the name Supreme King is given, True Blessed at seventh, Venerable during eighth, and at the ninth level is Ascendant. After an Ascendant overcomes their tribulation they will be given the sought after title across the ten continents, “Immortal Saint”.

In this case, Hao Fang is in the eight level of the Ascension stage, thus he is addressed as Venerable Hao Fang as soon as his identity is revealed. Why, you ask? It is not a crime to be ignorant of a cultivator's title and to forget the appropriate behavior but it is a crime to be of the know yet foregoing respect. Unless stated otherwise, those who are beneath must pay obeisance or risk a powerful cultivator's wrath.  

Ahem, ahem, should we use that script of ours? Her inner self whispers. 

No, I'm too scared she'll see through the lie! Fan Shuangxi replies with instant denial.

“I must say, this body's identity is,” he coughs, “powerful.”

“Ah,” he raises his palm, “no pun intended.” With that, the Hao Fang persona vanishes and the current voice is tinged with Two's humor.

Fan Shuangxi's laugh is awkward. She clears her throat and quickly adds, “do you think the manager is telling the truth?” Of course, she knows that's the truth but it will be weird if Fan Shuangxi won't question it at least.

Two slowly affirms the question with her head. “That manager is an honest man, a bit of a wimp, yes, but still honest.” She inspects the long fingers and the healing scars on a masculine hand and drops it on the table. “Unfortunately, it seems that man only knows surface-level information.” Two sighs and massages her temples.

Two has remembered a memory after hearing the name, Hao Fang, and her following conversation with the manager has triggered another. These are the actual reasons why she doesn't question this body's true identity.

The first memory, Two recalls, is an insignia of a wolf's head in the midst of howling. In that memory, Hao Fang is pinning the insignia to a subordinate, one he deeply trusted the most.

However, the second memory flashes by. It is a brief scenario of death, how this body died, and a name attached to a feeling of burning hate. It echoes, echOES, ECHOES.

Kill.

The urge for slaughter spreads through her body.

Kill!

Her vision becomes a canvas of red.

Kill!!

Such a desire for bloodshed has combined with Two's own hidden darkness and immobilizes her from the spot.

“Breathe slowly,” Two hears Xi Shuang's murmur beside her. When did the girl move?

“Inhale for four seconds, 1...2...3...4, hold your breath, 1...2,” Xi Shuang instructs softly.

Two follows the instruction while lacking coherent thoughts. Within the cycle of four breaths, the red haze dissipates and Two returns to calm.

“What happened?” Two snaps without thinking.

Xi Shuang backs away and hides the hands that have patted Two's shoulder. “Uh, you suddenly broke the table and had a look of murder in your face.” She gestures at the furniture beside Two.

Two glances at the unfortunate table. Broken? It's freaking pulverized into ashes!

“You were also emitting a dense killing aura so I intervened,” Xi Shuang rubs her right earring, the silver one. “I don't want to compromise our stay in the inn.”

“Plus!” Xi Shuang crosses her arms and sends Two a disapproving frown, “I don't want to see murder!” 

“Apologies,” Two blinks, “I don't know what came over me.”

“This is bad. If recalling memories can trigger strong emotions, I shouldn't attempt to remember them.” Two hasn't been able to control her reaction at that exact moment and this lack of control is dangerous. It seems until she can devise a way to hold her emotion in check she will have to abandon her memories for a while.

“Do you want to share what's bothering you?” Xi Shuang peers at Two's blank face. “I can lend an ear if you want. Who knows, maybe I can help you?”

“No need. I can handle it,” Two unconsciously let bleed a cold reply.

Two catches Xi Shuang gulping, her pale hand grasping her right ear as her eyes sweep the room without landing on Two.

It fascinates Two how Xi Shuang fiddles with the silver earring on her right when she's spooked and her golden earring when she's asking important questions. As a person who've read cultivation novels, Two is familiar with what those novels call as sacred treasures, artifacts which can grant some sort of power, ability, or skills to its owner.

By any chance, are those earrings sacred treasures? How mysterious that Xi Shuang has them in her arsenal. Aside from those, Xi Shuang also seems to know who Hao Fang is although not as deep as Two suspected seeing that she's unaware of the protection rune Hao Fang created.

Hm, maybe she's as innocent as she has depicted.

“Do you want to be alone?” The subject of her thoughts speaks up.

“Hey, Xi Shuang, by any chance do you know Hao Fang?” Two attacks without a hint of remorse.

Xi Shuang gapes at Two. She avoids any eye contact before answering Two with a sporadic nod.

“Personally?” Two interrogates her hapless benefactor.

“N, no,” Xi Shuang stammers, still not meeting Two's eyes.

“This girl's personality is rather extreme, eh? She can be cowardly but can sometimes keep her ground. Better tread carefully.” Two doesn't want Xi Shuang closing up on her again.

True to Two's observation, Xi Shuang closes her eyes and calms herself before pulling a stool to sit and face Two's judgmental gaze. Two sees her cringe but at the last minute, Xi Shuang meets Two's eyes with her own determined ones.

“I know him but he doesn't know me,” Xi Shuang starts with her shoulders straight.

“The truth is I know you're Hao Fang from the start.”

“Oho?”

Xi Shuang shrugs her shoulders. “You mustn't blame me since I'm only a messenger of,” Xi Shuang pauses. Two waits yet a minute has passed by and Xi Shuang hasn't uttered a word.

“You know this body is Hao Fang's and if your message is for Hao Fang then there's no need to be suspicious of me right now or even before today.” Two assuages with a casual backward lean, open feet and hanging arms. To relax one's conversation partner, one must first portray a relaxed stature.

“I was holding myself back a few days ago because without proof I can't just assume you're Hao Fang especially since you're wearing the human mask and,” Xi Shuang drawls the last word, “you don't have his memories, for all I know you're an imposter.”

“Legitimate reasons. Fine, then why now? Don't tell me you cave?” So far, Xi Shuang hasn't showcased any red flags, her reasoning is sound too but Two will have to confirm that with whom Xi Shuang got the message.

“You were able to read the rune in that banner. Only the rune's creator can read the runes he made and since you clearly knew the meaning of those runes then you can only be Hao Fang.” It is delivered in a matter-of-fact tone that Two can't find any other way to refute.

The runes of rune masters are created by themselves. It is the application of their understanding of their inner identity, the very core that unconsciously dictates who and what they are, therefore, all runes are unique. That is a fact.

“Very well. Then, what is this message that you so protectively hide and whom did you receive it?”

Xi Shuang bites her lower lip. “It's a message of warning.”

“Warning?”

“Yes. Warning you to be careful of a particular person.”

Two's heart speeds up as the name pops in her mind. The unspoken identity is at the tip of her tongue but she waits for Xi Shuang to blurt the accursed name.

“Jian Ren.”

Two's breathing becomes heavy and spots of black appear in her vision.

“Jian? You wish to keep your family name? Very well, I shall allow it. Then, I will give you the name 'Ren' for you have proven to be someone to rely on. Jian Ren, from this day forth, you are a member of Wolf Howl. Serve me well.”

 

 

 

A minute.

A minute is all Hao Fang needs to destroy the whole Cloud Ink Inn.

Fan Shuangxi gapes while numerous purple-glowing bubbles float around her. The inhabitants of each bubble vary. Most of them are asleep, three are frozen in fear inside their circular bathtub, four is disturbed in their love-making, a few are standing with wide-eyed innocence, and lastly, a young man in black witnesses the havoc with a respectful bow of his head.

In each bubble, the same rune found in the banner lights up as Hao Fang lets out pulses of dark qi. Sadly, there's no protective bubble enveloping Fan Shuangxi, much to her surprise...and panic.

Kyaa! Protect ourselves, protect ourselves! Fan Shuangxi screeches inside.

She rummages her brain for any protection arts while cursing the protection rune for not protecting her. As she delves to her supernal spirit ocean, she discovers a strange thing.

Her infernal ocean is being sucked out!

What?! Hey, when did our spirit ocean became half full anyway? Her inner self's calm observance brings Fan Shuangxi to tears.

I don't know! Is this the right time to think this?

The amethyst ocean swirls upward, the topmost portion fading to somewhere Fan Shuangxi cannot determine.

Stop! Stop! Fan Shuangxi cries but the words hold no weight.

If she won't do anything, she's going to dry up!

The situation is seen as hopeless by Fan Shuangxi. Her body weakens while the thought of dying circles her mind. In her desperation, she imagines a scissor cutting the tornado in half.

It doesn't work but...

A scissor appears in her hand.

What the f--!

Hurry and cut it! Her inner self snarls.

How? What can a two-inch scissor do to a full-body wide tornado?

Aish! Just do it!

Fan Shuangxi flies to the giant swirl and hovers to the thinner part. What she thinks is the thinner part.

Snip, snip, hurry!

Fan Shuangxi positions the scissor and, with reluctance, begins to cut the swirl. To her surprise and growing confusion, the tornado-esque swirl isn't water-based but akin to a gossamer cloth. It takes her a significant amount of time to cut through the thick gossamer and when she finally snips the last part, the top dissipates while the bottom flows in liquid form from her hand and back to her spirit ocean where it lies calmly.

What just happened?

“What happened?” The ear-deafening roar snaps Fan Shuangxi back to the present. Her spirit ocean vanishes and the wreckage comes into view. Broken pillars, torn sheets, countless ceramics pulverized to dust. Aish, nothing remains after Hao Fang's tantrum.

Oh my god, are we going to pay for the entire inn? Fan Shuangxi cries and her imaginary form kneels in defeat.

Nothing good has happened since I met her! As I thought, she's really a cannon fodder! Courting death like this, please don't involve me with your death flag!

The rant continues but outwardly, Fan Shuangxi remains impassive.

In the center of the wreckage is Hao Fang's prone form. He's out for the count...which means...

“You!” A chubby man points a finger at Fan Shuangxi. His attendants dress him while the woman underneath him a few minutes ago is nowhere to be found.

The chubby man marches to Fan Shuangxi's side and raises his chin. “Aren't you this rascal's companion? Are you trying to kill this young master? Hmph, how bold! I, this young master, had transferred you to another room with utmost benevolence yet you return me with disfavor!” A woman in black and a man in purple. These are the characteristics his servants have murmured in his ears.

Fan Shuangxi blankly stares. As far as she remembers, she hasn't met this person during her stay here.

Hmm, could he be that overbearing master on the third floor?

“Is this the Path you cultivators practice? Bullying the weak and fearing the strong?” The chubby man pulls a lip to sneer. He recalls his trusted aide's fear-filled gaze when the small man describes the reactions of the tenants next door. How the purple-clothed man threatened the manager while his companion remained meek and obedient. How dare they react with malevolence when they're the first who have complained? They are fortunate his aide has persuaded him to let the matter pass and be the understanding one. He doesn't even fail to provide another room for them.

“Daring to throw one's weight around. Hmph! This young master will teach you a lesson!“

Fan Shuangxi can't stop the ridicule in her gaze. Hearing crap dirties her mood. With the matter of her spirit ocean a puzzle and Hao Fang being unconscious, someone has the nerve to start quacking loudly against her dwindling patience.

“Ah, Young master Jiao, please calm your temper!” The inn's manager quickly steps in between. He bows with a deep arch of his back, his quiet plea dousing the flame inside Fan Shuangxi. “Please allow our Cloud Ink Inn to handle this matter. As to your accommodation, the Cloud Ink Inn will not fail in providing an equivalent service. Our connections with the surrounding inns will guarantee you free of charge in your remaining stay.” The manager turns to face the inn's tenants. “But of course, if you are dissatisfied, you may also request for your money's return.” The manager nods to two people with the same uniform as him. “Please follow my assistants for further questions. They will provide for whatever it is you wish.”

Young master Jiao crosses his arms and widens his stance. “No! This young master will stand his ground.”

Behind young master Jiao, the other occupants of the inn do not utter a word of protest. It is unfortunate but the inn has spoken and as long as they can still have a place to sleep, they have nothing more to demand. This young master's world view is truly narrow. Aside from his group, all these tenants have stayed for quite some time and have heard of the cultivators dwelling on the third floor. Some of them even experienced the hellish pressure of one of them. At least the young master is picking a fight with the peaceful one otherwise, all eyes glance at the body in the center. They shiver and leave in quick succession. Only a dazed-looking young man has been left behind along with young master Jiao's servants. A servant leans on the young man and the young man's cloudy expression brightens.

On the other hand, young master Jiao is confident in his conviction. He mustn't cower in the face of power for in his blood flows the traits of the heroic Zhui family. He will uphold his ancestors' legacy even if it costs him his life!

"Wah! Big brother is strong!" The young man's exclamation in the background further cements young master Jiao's righteous virtue. He nods at the young man. Good brother, ah, I will not allow you to be wronged!

Fan Shuangxi rubs her nose at the troublesome man. Thankfully the manager is still willing to mediate between the two.

Better to pay the loudmouth and leave, her inner self echoes, there's an increasing crowd past the wreck.

But, it will be horrible to let the manager be chewed by the people, Fan Shuangxi replies with worry.

Better him than us. Besides, we're in a hurry and we cannot be implicated in this. Her inner self reasons. We should take this opportunity to leave Hao Fang too.

That's not right, Fan Shuangxi frowns. She turns her head to glance at the unconscious Hao Fang. I promised I'll help him. I can't just abandon him!

“...”

The fuck! He's not there!

You don't want to abandon yet the other party has no qualms to abandon you. Hmph! Serves you right!

Sometimes Fan Shuangxi wonders, not of her existence, but the existence of the voice in her head. It is her but why is it not supportive of her?!

5