Kind of just there
70 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Welcome to the guild! I am the hot guild receptionist 1, who will do nothing more than giving you quests and guidance while also redirecting you to various big shots of this town." said the hot guild receptionist 1 cheerfully.

"You can just call me guild receptionist 1" said the guild receptionist 1 cheerfully.

Wait a seeecond, what's this déjà vu?

Didn't we had the same opening for the last chapter? And we never reached the guild?

The story was left hanging.

I won't ask the Narrator for anything this time — let's dive into the story.

[*rewind sfx*]

Elf points ahead, "Right there."

Writer added some last chapter dialogues for insta recap.

And then i saw something but not clearly thanks to my skills not being legendary enough.

[*average weight running noises*]

… enough with that overused sfx.

So we both rushed there, with my speed i could have reached that point in no time, but i wanted some information on this thing first, i kept my pace similar to that of Elf 1.

"So what IS that thing? Are we supposed to kill it?" I asked because who knows, it could be some sacred creature who, if i kill will get me framed as a clearly-evil-person and then i will get targeted by some cult. besides there could be other problems like it being an endangered species or like curse on death thing or simply some information we needed before it dies.

"That beast should be killed if possible, but that higher demon must be killed for sure, that higher demon is definitely the one manipulating that beast somehow" she said in her high pitch voice while carefully observing that thing — also running towards it with light steps, still no sound of her footsteps, it's as if i was running with a ghost.

By the way, what higher demon? Where? Have i gone blind after all these years of watching PC screen? or maybe the Elf sees more? you know, how ghosts can see other ghosts or something.

"I think we should ask them for the situation first, they are in a troublesome situation, i need to help them, they did a good job of holding this thing here." she spoke like a child who is proud of her friends who waited for her to arrive for, i don't know, something children do probably.

Also what? I am no longer following whatever this Elf is saying. I think she is talking to the ghosts at this point and not me.

As we got closer and closer, things started to make sense and my doubts cleared. I felt like Sherlock Holmes who just solved a mystery, all the pieces made sense — everything came together perfectly.

I saw 2 figures trying to fight that big beast, the beast had multiple legs which i didn't bother to count as it is boring.

To make it imaginable for the reader without having the writer type a lot, i will relate it to something most people usually would have seen — basically, it looked like a gigantic beetle, don't ask me which beetle, i don't really know beetles that specifically, 20-40 meters in height, 60-80 meters in width, length should be similar to width.

Many trees were getting trampled over by this thing as it moved.

The 2 who are trying to fight this thing might be the ones she wanted to know the situation from and help out — they can only defend themselves from what i can see.

They have erected translucent barriers or something which is not allowing this beetle to move much. I guess this is why i felt like it was a stationary clean plain and not a rampaging big beetle — that said, this battle has been going for a long time then? At least since the time i met that Elf.

The beetle and those guys, are in a stalemate it seems, neither can attack each other — well the beetle is slowly moving so i guess it's winning?

Now as for the higher demon, i assumed that it is that weird character dozing off on the top of that beast — i bet that place is not comfortable for sleeping, that demon is trying to act cool or something.

I still can't see anything clearly, I should have requested to be born as an Elf — beautiful/handsome body and powerful senses + archery skills, i would be so overpowered. Well i don't like the idea of having a high pitch voice though.

"I will go ahead and help them." I told the Elf.

"Wait, are you really going to help?" the Elf stopped me from going ahead alone, she snapped her fingers and i heard some eerie whisper sound for a second — probably not my imagination, it was too real.

She continued, "I don't know who you really are, but — it's quite daring to be wearing those clothes in front of the knights, i have disguised you with the clothes of a starter adventurer for now, be careful the next time you go out."

I look like a beginner adventurer now, with simple brown light-armour, simple wooden sword — wait wooden sword? and long brown boots. i would like to check out the sword when i get the time.

But what's wrong with my shirt and trouser? Feels like i am not from this era or something? Not medieval enough for you?

Anyway, so this is magic huh? I really want to change my clothes like this. Wait just imagine being able to change anyone's clothes like that, i really wish my higher tier skills weren't removed. I can imagine some great uses for this skill bwahahaha-

She further added "I won't harm you or get in your way till we are allies with a common enemy, but if you harm anyone from our side, we will come for you." the elf said with the most threatening voice she could possibly muster… nah it's not threatening enough.

my side 1 : helping others is great.

my side 2 : ignore the beetle and let her handle it, as if she could do any better. well, we can witness her "overpowered" elf skills then at least.

my side 3 : should have killed her when i had the opportunity, well it's never too late.

"Like i said, i am just a wandering volunteer, you are thinking too much" I said with a waaarm smile.

So my story didn't really work out? am i really that suspicious?

"Keep that image up then, don't make me think otherwise." Said the elf with a cold gaze... kind of cold gaze — with some sparkle so kind of cold sparkle gaze.

Jeez, i don't get this multiple personality Elf, now i think that she was keeping me lost in this forest on purpose, as if the lost part was just an act, she never trusted me and was looking for the opportunity to kill me or something.

Either way, i hope she isn't looking down on me, i held back in the fight we had dear Elf, don't take me lightly because of that, i am way stronger than you — or so i hope.

"I will be going ahead then." I told the Elf and in a blink of an eye i kicked the beetle — look at this you slow Elf! I am not the bad guy, and you can't surpass me with your barely-good stats! even if you were born strong, i am still stronger!! Training techniques of my brother's master, which i did by myself all alone, are enough!!!!

Wait, i attacked the beetle to save those fighters, not to verify my strength and intentions, don't get me wrong.

Well the truth is, a self proclaimed god granted me all this power, but well that's how the story is in this Elf's head, right? that i am only powerful because of self training? …she didn't believe that, but i am trying to keep up the image just like she wants anyway.

[*explode sfx*]

The beetle splattered into small pieces in a disgusting, very gross, manner. It's various bodily fluids flying around — i honestly don't want to describe this anymore. Now i know that my kick is strong at least.

I hope this disguised outfit stays clean, i wonder how my real outfit is effected? The elf is drenched in blood herself so... i am no longer sure, she did the diguise for me so casually but herself she stays like *that*. I am worried now, i don't want this beetle fluid on me.

So i jumped backwards and went inside that translucent barrier, i am pretty quick so… no fluid on me, hopefully — i don't want to check my clothes right now to find something weird on it, i would be stressed on washing it off the whole time otherwise …Not knowing if something is there or not, is not any better though, i am now anxious.

I was still facing towards where-the  beetle-was, so i did the over-the-shoulder-glance-back and asked the 2 Warriors, "Are you both alright?". yeah i also wanted to look away from the nasty scene, it's all cartoon-ish style so i don't feel like throwing up at least.

They both were in shock, pink mouths open, eyes wide open.

*processing what happened*

That said, i can finally see them clearly.

They both were similar to each other, males, dark skin tone, brown eyes, no hair — or how the intellectuals say it, bald.

They were quite masculine — with big arms and all that muscle-muscle body.

They had some heavy armour but it was in a broken up condition, so yeah i could see their well built body, they weren't bleeding though, Also they were like an arm's length taller than me.

Are they twins? brothers? the only difference was that one of them had some beard.

They can make barriers, wear heavy armour, strong and intimidating body, 

...sounds like some tank build to me.

Why are 2 tanks together though? Bad PvP team up?

They both remind me of some bar bouncers. You know, the ones that stay near the entrance?

"Yes, thanks to you we are alright, but the fight isn't over young man! watch out for the demon!!" The bearded one warned me, he gained his composure faster that i expected, the other is still processing the information it seems, i guess this bearded one is the older one or something? You know, the older the wiser? They both look 40±5 years old to me, but keep in mind that these guesses are coming from someone, who can't tell if an animal is a dog or a cat.

[*Yawning sfx*]

"my, my my." in a sleepy tone, said the wierdo i assumed was the higher demon, standing — facing away from us, rubbing his black hair that had a slight red tint to it. Oh wait did i sent him flying along with the beetle splatter? I wanted to see that, i missed it, tch... that Elf's threat and beetle fluid distracted me.

Pale white skin, big black eyelashes, light grey eyes with a hint of orange, muscular body but not as ripped as these twins here.

Was wearing something like a traditional victorian butler outfit.

Looked like a hot dude but i am not into males, seriously where are the tsunderes, yanderes and all the other dere-squad.

Also a yawn? he seriously slept there? I bet he is a good actor, if that trembling place — the disgusting insect's back — was a good place to doze off, then burying myself in the ground in the name of shelter is also a great choice. Or is he just a heavy sleeper?

"The beetle died?" he looked at the splattered remains of the beetle. Seemed like he "tried" to act surprised — So either he is an amazing actor who can act like he is trying, or he is a horrible actor that can't act at all.

"And here, i assumed you both were not capable of doing much" A slight grin appeared on his face, he started turning to face the brothers.

"I underestimated you both, my apologies, apologies apologies. you surpri- , oh, a new ally perhaps?" He finished turning towards us and noticed me, his grin was clearly defined now — a clear grin.

Then he declared — with a neutral face, all traces of grin vanished.

"Either way, you all will be going down, so it does not matter." Reminds me of myself not bothering to count the beetle legs before killing it, is this karma?

[*action bg*]

The barrier vanished.

The brothers dashed towards the demon, wouldn't a wait and see approach be better? or not, the enemy might be strong and finish us in one blow anyway.

Why am i fighting a boss level demon right at the start though? Where are the mobs? Well not like it matters, i should be doing literally anything if i go by what the god said. But you know, for the plot i will stay and not question it.

The demon moved swiftly, fired some sort of a wave, a faint yellow light enveloped the brothers and before they knew it, the brothers were down. Not dead but knocked out maybe?

[*action bg stop*]

Such a kind demon — well this story would not involve death of many good characters because it's a happy and cheerful story so yeah.

Speaking of happy, cheerful and dead stuff, Where is the Elf? Did her time to stay in a adult human form end? Is she now a ghost? or a kid.

[*sad piano bg*]

I am alone i guess? I feel betrayed, i am sad now. Sorry kind demon, but i will use you as a punching bag to vent — wait am i supposed to ask questions first? like "Who are you", "Why are you here", "Who do you work for" or something? No one cares? okay.

[*fast drumming bg*]

Then, i punched the demon, distance of 25 meters between us was shortened in no time — so it appeared as if i just punched him all of a sudden. It's like skipping a lot of frames of an animation.

The demon, to my surprise was pushed a bit back, around 10 meters — but he was completely fine.

Yeah yeah i get it, it is one of those powerful enemies that don't die in one hit just to make them appear stronger in the plot — well i haven't mastered my 999… stats yet so i don't know how much damage i am actually dealing.

[*crack sfx*]

Crack? Something cracked.

"Oh my, looks like we got a tough one here." Says the demon with a hoarse voice, that's a cliche line, hoarse voice? so he *was* just acting tough?

His eyes, they became more grey, hint of orange went away.

He threw some ball of power at me, you know those colorful glowy balls in every fantasy action game+anime possible?

I dodged them all by simply running, i did not jump because i can't change the direction in the middle of a jump, not yet, i am not a comic book hero after all.

With accelerated thoughts i was able to dodge all, Oh an opening.

I landed another punch at him, in the gut.

[*crack sfx*]

What is this crack?

Again, pushed back a bit but completely fine.

[*hard inhale noises*]

 — or not, he is being effected a tiny bit.

I didn't wait this time, i went for another punch, on the head.

The demon took that opportunity, i was close enough, he fired a power ball.

Honestly i am not used to fighting much, even with all these stats i am fighting like a newbie, i fell for his simple trick — What differentiates us both is stats and experience, I am like a newbie pay to win and he is a freebie grinding player.

i am too close, i am not used to my max stats yet, i can't fully utilize them to dodge this — don't blame me, i just got into this world, it's like driving a sports car without any previous experience for a final race. Blame the writer for such a horrible starting setup, why is this not a heartwarming start where i beat goblins or wolves anyway.

I got hit, nothing happened to me though, the power enveloped me but vanished.

I got some defensive passive skill maybe? Where is appraisal and everything? I really need some help here — yeah appraisal is fine, i have had enough with the voice-in-the-head style guides.

Whatever, no point in thinking too deeply — everything will work out towards the end anyway, because plot.

The demon's eyes opened up wide, maybe he expected something to happen? Too sad. Too sad too sad.

I went for another punch, in the chest.

[*crack sfx*]

Again pushed back, but nothing much.

This all happened so quickly that the writer couldn't find a place for adding dramatic dialogues between us.

A magic circle formed below the demon, green glowing circle, with stuff here and there, with squiggly lines and scribblings.

Was he finally unleashing some big spell? Some trump card of his?

Doesn't looks like it, his grey eyes went full orange, he had a shocked expression, he turned around and fell on his knees. The elf was behind him — When did she get there? She surely made some dramatic entry, this doesn't means she is better than me though.

Knowing the elf, she is probably fighting in some underhanded manner again.

Sooo… the magic circle wasn't his? But this Elf's? Wait is she stealing my kill?

"Now, Punch him main character" said the Elf, Elf's eyes were not sparkly at present, she had a grim look, but yeah that frail and high voice kills the weight of those words.

Why? You can't kill him? You finally realized i am superior? Well you don't let kids do the bloody work so okay, AND most importantly, she didn't steal my kill… or left me alone.

I punched him in the gut again.

He splattered like the beetle, i won't describe it in details.

No cracks this time huh? So what was all that again? Will we keep getting mysteries without answers?

[*happy end bg*]

"What magic did you use?" i made an amazed expression.

"Oh well, every head knight can use magic, i just sort of happened to specialize in illusion." She said with a shy-but-proud look in a it-just-happened tone.

So you won't tell the spell's name…?

"Oh, that's pretty good, what spell did you use this time?" I tried to be specific, but i maintained my amazed expression.

"Oh, it's that confusion type skill, of illusion branch, i have used it on you as well before, you couldn't tell?" She said with a surprised expression.

When did she even use that spell? My outfit change? no wait… confusion spell… she did confuse me when we met by saying something weird, right when i greeted her, what was it agai-

[*groaning noises*]

Oh yes, those not-so-important dead brothers, who aren't really dead, let's ask what all had happened.

I turned around aaand…

They aren't on the ground, but standing up now — sturdy guys aren't they?

They aren't in a mood for celebration though, is something left?

"Commander, there is still work left" Said the bearded one with a raspy voice.

[*happy end bg stop*]

Nah, i am out of here, get me to the guild already.

Also is the other brother unable to speak or something? — On second thought, there could be some hierarchy difference between them, which is why the other doesn't speaks.

"Give me a summary of all the events up till now" said the Elf in a tried-to-be-heavy tone.

This Elf is their commander? She did say she was some head knight, so are these 2 her squad members? She works with a bunch of bouncer-like dudes? That's a questionable working environment.

"Yes… so…" bearded dude looked towards me.

"A-Ah, don't mind him, he is an ally." Said the elf with some random hand movements and a crooked smile, you don't look convincing enough, Elf.

Wait, Another ending without me reaching the guild? is this story about how i reached the guild after facing a lot of hardships or something?

1