Chapter 7: Stormbreak II
298 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warning:

Spoiler

Violence.

[collapse]

 
                                                                                                              Lyra

“Wield your heart, and the world will tremble.”-A Game Of Crowns, chapter 8, volume 2.

“Pumpkin…just hold on.” Miri whispers, squeezing her eyes shut. 

“4 minutes.” She says calmly, opening her eyes. “Lets see how rusty I am, shall we?” Miri draws her daggers, but waits. 

“There they are!” Melody snarls, rage contorting her face. “You bitch! Nobody messes with me like that!” The Lyrian prince and princess run inside, hearts burning for vengeance. 

Caitryn grins wickedly. “What can I say? I thought it’d be fun to try being a different princess for a change. But I’m sure you can relate…Duskborn.”

Melody’s narrow, and she smirks devilishly. “You’re trying to goad us. Is that what you do? Use your words as weapons. Surprisingly not very…Cirrian of you.”

Caitryn’s lips twitch. “Whore.”

The Sea princess’s smirk grew. “I could say the same but you’d probably take it as a compliment. Ready?” Her sea green eyes rest on her sibling. 

Cullen nods, before vanishing in a flash of soft purplish light. 

Miri’s muscles tense, but they didn’t go after her yet.

Cullen wordlessly swipes their polished, undamaged shortsword at Caitryn. But she dodges their attacks easily and the two start teleporting rapidly as they try to strike the other time and time again, until their duel was nothing but a blur of lights, Like a far away display of fireworks. 

Lochaine swings his great sword at Melody countless times, but she effortlessly weaves out of the way from his every attack. “Sloppy. Have you ever fought more then your adoring subjects?” She taunts, enjoying the sight of his face twisting with rage. 

“I’ll cut you in half you stripeach!” Lochaine roars. 

“No, I don’t think you will.” Melody clicks her fingers. 

His eyes grew brighter and brighter until there was nothing left but a dim, red light. “Now that you’re all fired up big guy, who are you really mad at?” 

Lochaine’s breathing quickens, his heart like a drum beating to a war song. He turns to his father and lunges at him with a raving screech. The king shakes his head and swiftly disarms his son, then blows into his eyes as if he had the strength to blow out a forest fire.

Lochaine regains control over himself, but the flame of his rage has yet to go out. “You made me fight my father! Oh I’m going to enjoy hurting you.”

“A shame you have to be Lyrian, I would’ve liked you.” The king chortles. “Excellent usage of Flameborn magic. But as my son said…you made him fight me, his own father. Feel free to do with this Sea-bitch as you please, my boy.”

Melody silently glares at him as if she held a gorgon’s power, then runs off to help her sibling. She’d never take a compliment from that horrible man, not even if the seas would boil. Not even if Alyria herself asked it of her.

“Well, if you want your vengeance come and get it!” She taunts, waving her fingers in a come-at-me gesture.

The Fire Prince sets his blade aflame and leaps right at her. Melody dodges his strike, but why is he smiling like that?

“Missing something?” Lochaine sneers, holding up a reasonable part of her copper mane.

Melody gasps and feels for her missing hair, his words proved true. He really had cut off a sizable portion of her locks. However she merely shrugged, still seemingly as calm as ever. But inside she was seething with rage.

“If you want me to lose my shit you’re gonna have to-“

Lochaine cut her off as he grabs her arm and effortlessly throws her to the ground, poised to cut her apart with his greatsword.

Melody swipes his feet, swiftly punching his stomach with her armored fist. The prince chokes out a gasp, and she pushes him down. “Not so tough now.” She raises her hand high in the air, shadows course on her hand, forming claws. 

Lochaine’s heart burns like a fire, he takes in as much air as he can, feeling a flame rising in his chest he exhales, aiming to engulf the princess in a breath of fire.

But she’s too fast. Within a blink Melody wraps her shadowy claws around his mouth, stopping his breath attack.

The prince retaliates by wrapping his own fiery hand over hers, encased in scorching hot embers.

Melody squeals at the heat and jerks her hand back, clutching it in agony. 

Lochaine jolts up and releases his breath attack. As the inferno closes in, Melody deftly cuts the fiery attack in half with her index finger, but the fire doesn’t stop. Instead it streams by her sides, burning the tips of her hair and melting her armor.

Her eyes twitch at the smell of her burnt hair. “That’s it.” She snaps her claws, releasing a small pulse of dark mauve energy. 

Her shadow grows and grows until it encompasses nearly half the room. A dozen shadowy twins of herself crawl out of her shadow. 

“Scáthanna, ionsaí!” (Shadows, attack!) 

Her duplicates giggle and tackle the Fire prince, restraining him tightly. “What the burning hells is this?”

Melody rises, rolls back her shoulders, and gives her helpless foe a scornful smile. “I expected more from the Son Of Flame. I don’t usually do this but for you…I’ll make an exception.”

She waves her finger around, and a obsidian black hand shoot out of his shadow, looking much like his own. The hand stops right in front of his mouth and makes a pulling gesture. The prince begins to gasp for air, as if the shadowy hand is sucking the very air from his lungs. 

At last, the prince’s consciousness slips away, his last thoughts of his family’s safety, even Lyra’s.

“Sis!” Cullen shouts, dodging Caitryn’s dagger by a hair’s length. “She’s a Clairvoyant like me!”

Caitryn rolls her eyes as she continues their deadly waltz. “Gods you're dull. Spineless and dull. We’ve been dancing like this for what?” She teleports behind Cullen, but they still block her ambush.  

“A few minutes? And you’re already running off to big sis…aren’t you boys supposed to be courage’s? Or…” A thin lipped, demonic smile contorts her lips. “Are you not a boy? Are you like my sibling? Or perhaps just pathetic and insane?”

Cullen screeches their best attempt at a way cry and blindly assaults the sneering princess.

“There we go.” She whispers, weaving away from their flurry of cuts she aims her knife at their sides and thrusts it forward, only to be blocked by Melody’s claws gripping her blade. 

“Petty wench.” She spits on her face and tosses her against the wall. “Cullen! Stay focused, she’s a clairvoyant too. She understands your weakness…stay concentrated on seeing the future and let’s make our parents proud.”

Cullen sniffs, nodding at their sister. 

Melody glances at the amused king, just standing there with a cocky grin on his face. She was going to enjoy wiping that smirk off his face! 

Then she looks at Miri, gently holding Lyra in her arms. She seems to be helping her get rid of any excess water left in her. “Hold on…just hold on…” She repeated those words like a mantra without even stopping to draw breath.

“Whatcha looking at?” Caitryn chirps, suddenly grabbing her and holding her blade to her throat. “Let’s have a little fun, gorgeous.” She whispers breathily in her ear.

“Let her go!” Their sibling bellows, tightly clutching his weapon. 

“Let her go? What are you…A hero from a high fantasy children’s novel? Let her go, you villain!” She mocks. “Come on…We’re all close to being adults at least, right? I think we all know I’m not going to let this beautiful but oh so dumb princess go just because you ask me to…”

Caitryn gives them a flirty wink. “I’m not that kinda gal.” 

“What are you going to do with her then?” Cullen asks, their voice quiet and tremulous from dread.

“Hmm…maybe I’ll just cut her throat unless you surrender.” She cackles sadistically, but Melody picks up on her quivering hand. 

“Don’t do it! She’s bluffing!”

They shake their head. “I can’t take that chance.” Cullen closes his eyes in defeat. “Alright, I’ll surrender…just don’t hurt my sis…” 

Miri peers at the Sea twins, her soul torn between helping them and staying with Lyra.

“Go…” Lyra whispers, holding her face. “Help them.” Miri holds her hand and nods softly. 

She lingers in Lyra’s touch for what felt like a century, then stands up, the moment now feeling like a blink. Miri steels her resolve, her heartbeat steadying. She was going to get her to safety no matter what. But first…

“She is bluffing. I overheard her saying she’s no killer.”

Caitryn’s pupils dilated, she fixes Miri with a deathly glare so vicious even an Angel would shiver.

Melody doesn’t hesitate and crushes the princess’s foot with her boots. But Caitryn doesn’t even flinch.

“If you think that’s the worst pain I’ve had to endure you’re dead wrong. But enough of that! Let’s play.”

Caitryn kicks Melody away then tosses a small mirror in the air. She flicks a series of droplets at the mirror and grins as she shape-changes into Melody. 

“Oopsie daisy!” The newly changed girl breaks into devilish laughter and pounces the real Melody. 

Cullen’s eyes nearly bugle out of their sockets. “I…I…” They stammer, frozen in shock. 

The twins briefly fight each other, until one of them speak up. “Take us both out! I know you can do it!”

Color drains from their face. “No way! Just show me your magic!”

“Do you think miss clairvoyant’ll let me? Just do it! I forgive you!”

Her twin joins in. “No! Wait! Stop you don’t have to do this!”

Cullen wipes a lone tear from their cheek. “Okay!” They flamboyantly raise their sparkling hands. “I love you.” 

The sunlight shining through the window intensifies until it’s blinding. They squeeze their eyes shut, unable to watch. 

A beam of pure gold light crashes through the castle wall, hitting the girls. 

“Fell for it!” Caitryn snickers in their ear. “You just blasted your own sis, how does that feel?”

They collapse on their knees, sobbing like a child. “I’m sorry!! I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry oh gods I’m sorry!!! Sis?!” They shake their sister’s body, desperately searching for signs she’s alright.

“Fool.” Caitryn sneers. 

Miri dashes at the disguised princess. In a fluid movement she swings on a chandelier and kicks Caitryn’s face. 

“Insolent slut!” She shrieks, clutching her cheeks. 

Miri lands on the ground and leaping backwards, landing another kick on the princess. 

“Oh, you’ll pay.” Caitryn says, raw venom dripping from her tone.

She closes her palms, gathering light in them. For a moment, the room is nothing but darkness. Then she instantly flicks her palms open and sends forth a small armada of flying spheres of light. 

Miri breaks into a run away from the spheres, a stray ball of light accidentally hits a wall and detonates into a uncomfortably big explosion. 

“The stars predict your defeat, rogue.” Caitryn’s cold tone sends shivers down her spine, but she knows what to do.

The spheres cut her off, but she springs in the air, narrowly avoiding setting them off.

Miri kicks a vase at her opponent, who easily dodges out of the way. “Is that the best you’ve got?” Caitryn snorts. “Wow, I'm starting to get bored again.”

The rogue merely smiles. 

Miri rushes to Caitryn, but to her surprise only tries a few punches with just one hand. 

She twirls a lock of her copper hair. “Well, now i am bored. You’re not even a fabled are you? That’s just disappointing.”

Miri quietly chuckles, when the spheres are both close to her and their master she throws a few shards behind her and cartwheels away fast like the wind.

Caitryn doesn't even time to react as the shards set off the light bombs right in front of her.

She howls in pain and collapses on the floor, her disguise fading away. “FUCK YOU!” She screams. “THAT FUCKING HURT!”

Caitryn’s calm focus makes way for a rage induced frenzy as she teleports to Miri and starts crazily slashing and stabbing her dagger around. 

But Miri grins as she weaves and evades all of her attacks, all while giggling like she was just playing around.

Caitryn shakes her head, her focus returning. “You’re trying to make me lose my focus. Well it won’t work!”

“I…I know…”

The princess arches an slender, well plucked red eyebrow. “What?”

Miri’s shoulders slump. “I know, you’re too smart. I’ve always admired that about you…you’re so smart and beautiful, my lady.” 

She curls a lock of hair around her finger. “Well…yea.” Caitryn softly giggles, a small blush creeping on her cheeks. “Go on…”

Miri shuffles her foot around. “Well…I’ve always…I love you.”

Caitryn’s lips parted at her shocking words. “Wha? Me?” She gingerly pokes at her chest, the smallest sparkle of joy in her eyes. “No one’s ever said that to me except for…” her voice trails off as glances at her unconscious sister, a pang of guilt stabbing at her heart. 

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know you, maybe we can get to-“ Miri interrupts her with a swift flurry of punches.

Caitryn wails and teleports all over Miri, then finally lunges at her from the side. But she predicted her attack and disarms her with one well placed kick to her side and a precise jab to her throat. Then she finishes the fight with a good old fashioned headbutt.

The Fire Princess collapses on the ground, defeated. Tears well in her eyes, and slowly stream down her face as her eyes flutter to a close. “Should’ve known…” she mumbles, before her vision darkens as she falls into a slumber.

“Doesmt feel so great when your feelings are fucked with, doesmt it?” She cackles, but then Miri frowns, gaping at the bested, slumbering princess. “Did I go too far?” Her pulse quickens. Maybe she had, sure she had hurt Lyra and her and Miri thirsted for revenge but…did she deserve getting her feelings toyed with like that? 

“Don’t know...maybe not…” The rogue mumbles, striding over to the twins. 

Melody stirs awake, as if from a long slumber. Her burn wounds rapildy vanished in small clouds of sparks, until there wasn’t as much of a scratch on her.

“Caitryn’s defeated?” She murmurs. “Good…that just leaves him..” She stares at the Fire king, with that same cocky grin still on his lips. 

“And her.” Melody narrows her eyes at the rogue.

She makes a beckoning gesture at Miri’s shadow, and it comes alive, reaching for her. “2 minutes, then.”

Unfazed, she snatches and drops a torch a shadow, it screeches with her voice as it disintegrates in a shower of sparks.

Miri twirls the torch and flicks it upward, before kicking it at Melody, grazing a thin rope before she weaves out of the way. But before anyone can react Miri cartwheels forward and leaps over Melody and on the princess back, kicking her forward. 

The burnt rope snaps, and a chandelier falls on the Sea Princess before her vision fades to black. 

“SISTER!” Cullen cries, lunging at Miri, tears shimmering in their eyes. They vanish in a blinding gleam.

Predicting where they will appear, the willowy rogue summersaults and lands on just her index finger. She twirls her body around and swiftly kicks the young royal against a wall, their world fading to black.

“Who are you?” Gregori asks, his eyes wide. “No matter.” He shakes his head. “You and Dorian will die all the same.”

Miri springs upright and bounds off the wall, catapulting herself to Lochaine. “We’ll see.” She makes a precise cut at his arm and abdomen. 

Miri drills her burning eyes at the king’s. “What’ll it be? Kill your daughter or save your firstborn son? Your healing won’t cut it in time, my blades are made of Reoánaigh ice. Curtesy of a Lyrian Hailstone.”

Gregori hardly hesitates and runs over to his son, while Miri dashes off with Lyra in her arms. 

“I’ll have my revenge on you and yours!” He shouts after her, his eyes ablaze with a raging hunger for vengeance. 

She jumps in the secret passageway, locking it behind her. Miri’s eyes shoot to Lyra, her armor had started to melt, revealing her false form, her cursed form. 

“Lyra…” She whispers, delicately cradling her in her arms.

12