Chapter 4
12 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just as Kyron shouts his mother stops for a second and once again looks him over. She then looks back to what she thought to be the body of her son and notices there were no wounds on him. In a voice halfway between yelling and talking she looks towards Kyron and says,

“You have thirty seconds, and if I am not happy with what you say I will make you sorry that you ever crossed paths with me. Now hurry it up.” The entire time she has a glare on her face that could put even a dragon to shame.”

“Look, mom, I-” Before Kyron could finish even his first sentence his angry mother cuts him off with a voice as cold as ice.

“Do not call me your mother! No matter how much you may resemble Kyron, It is painfully obvious you are not him. Especially while you are putting my son, who better just be sleeping, into a frozen box!” Kyron’s mom shouts while walking towards Kyron with a raging fire burning in the palm of her hand.

“Let me finish talking! How am I supposed to explain anything when you're holding a freaking Fireball above my head!” Kyron shouts, his voice clearly showing his exasperation.

“Ok. But you better hurry up.” Was all his mother could let slip out of her throat.

        Kyron spends the next thirty minutes explaining how this happened and that he actually was Kyron. At first his mother refused to believe him saying that he was just trying to get away after hurting her son. But halfway through she started to let up a little and believe what he was saying. By the end of Kyron’s recount of the story she had a solemn expression on her face but at last understood what truly happened. The moment that Kyron let loose the last word of his recounting his mother walked up to him and gave him a hug full of love and affection. After a few long minutes of embracing each other she then releases Kyron and steps back a little. Taking in a full look at Kyron’s new body for the first time since she arrived, she can’t help but wonder how it can look so much like a younger Kyron.

“Kyron.” His mother says while looking straight at him with a look on her face that Kyron knows all too well.

“Ye-yes mom?” Kyron knows that look means he is in trouble so while replying he starts to back away toward the door of his workshop.

“Why are you home in the first place. Weren't you supposed to be outside doing something. That is what I told you to do. Is it not?”

“Th-that is a possibility…”  

“Kyron. I didn't want to do this but you have left me no choice.”

“No choice? What do you mean mother?” Kyron stopped backing towards the door and looked at his mothers face. He could only think of one thing she could mean. But there was now way it was th-

“I as your mother order you to sign up for the guild.” his mother says with a face that shows she is entirely serious.

The moment Kyron hears this he Instantly starts to try and think of a way out of it. There is a reason he has not signed up for a guild. Among roses is the fact that there are only three guilds in this city.

“I-I can't do that! I won't have time for any projects! And when I do I will be forced to sell 30% of them to the guild! You can’t do this to me!” 

“I can and I will. Now go. Before I start taking all these useless items out of her and sell them.”

“Yo-you wouldn't!”

“Oh,I think you know I would.” She says while walking towards Janus sitting on the table.

    Just before she picks Janus up, Kyron runs over and grabs him and his holster, attaching it to his side. He then runs to the door and exits as fast as he can before his mother can do anything to his stuff. After running for nearly five minutes he slows down as he nears the center of town. Something he noticed while running is that no matter how fast he ran he did not feel the least bit of exhaustion. 

“Hey Janus?” Kyron queried while looking towards the gun at his side.

“Yes, my childish creator?”

“Th-that’s fair… But, what guild do you think I should sign up for?”

“What do you mean? Are you not signing up for the craftsman guild? I mean, while I hate to admit it, you are likely the best magi-technician on this side of the continent.” Janus says looking visibly confused which is kind of confusion in itself considering he's a gun.

“Well if I sign up for the craftsman guild I will have to give them 30% of my creations. And they get first pick when it comes to any other things I make.” Kyron has a disgruntled look on while talking about the downsides of the guild.

“I see how that could be bad but there's not much you can do about that. And anyway, depending on your rank in the guild you get discounts from guild affiliated stores, and better advertising for your wares.”

“What discount? 5% off at the highest rank isn't much of a discount. And guild advertising happens so much that people just end up ignoring it. You know… maybe I should just join the adventurers guild.” Kyron could only wonder where the use in that came from. It's not like just anybody can become a top tier craftsman.

“Why the adventures guild? There's the blacksmith, alchemist, merchants and magi-tech guilds. Wouldn't any of those fit you better?” wonders Janus.

“That would be the case if we had any of those guilds in this tiny town. And while we do have the merchants guild you need to give them 10% of your annual profit as well as sell them a select number of products every month. With the adventures guild all I have to do Is help out in case of an emergency that threatens the kingdom's welfare.” Kyron says while turning onto the street housing the different guild offices.

“Well then let's go and sign you up! We will become the duo known throughout all of Aegis! Janus the wonder gun. And his faithful assistant Kyron the android. It will be spectacular!”

“Shut it. If anything you're my assistant.”

“Nope I refuse to be the assistant of somebody who looks like a little kid.”

“Im sixteen already! A full grown adult!”

“Yeah but that's not how you look to others. You look like a snot nosed brat playing adult.”

“”....How about a compromise?””

“Oh, what would you propose? Maybe I act as your babysitter?”

“No! We will work as partners. Split everything equally between us. I will put aside money for you to spend on what you want. Of course I will charge you for upgrades though.”

“Fine. On the condition that you clean me everyday. While I may not have a sense of smell I can feel how dirty I am. And that's just from sitting in a drawer.” Janus’s prideful voice changed to a pleading one while stating his condition.

“Deal. Although I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves. I haven't even registered yet. And what's the likelihood we actually do anything worthwhile that's not just gathering materials while making extra money on the side from guild commissions.?”  

“Oh come on! We are bound for great things!”

“Well we can put all of that on hold. We're here.” Kyron says as he stops in front of a large stone building.

    The adventures guild office is one of the better looking structures in town. It has strong sturdy stone blocks as its walls, large glass windows on each side of the building both upstairs and downstairs, and wooden doors that look like they could fit an entire troll.

“Well. Let's get this over with. The sooner we are done, the sooner I can get back to my workshop” Kyron says even though Janus could clearly see that he was excited at the prospect of being an adventurer.

“Yes Kyron. Lets get this show on the road.”

0