Act 3 l Remember
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Nastume!"

…Who's there?

"Natsume!"

Who's… there?

"Natsume please remember!"

Mikan!

With my hand over my heart I awoke with a start. The comforter had shifted to the floor as I jumped out of my bed. I thought…

"Mi…kan?"

I swore she was there.

But she wasn't.

Relaxing my tensed shoulders I wiped away the sweat that had accumulated from the dream.

There was nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

"Damn it all." I had grumbled. My hands were terribly shaky and I couldn't even tell what the time was.

Was it morning?

Was it the afternoon?

Was it still night time?

Positioning my left knee up to my chin I shook my head and hoped the insomnia would pass.


"Natsume?"

I stopped my 'cooking' at the counter to see Youichii holding a small package in his tiny hands. His hands were clenching it as if it was of dire need of protection.

"Yeah? What's up?"

This chef was preparing a peanut butter sandwich for him, and I had to say, it was going to be the best goddamned sandwich available.

"Do… you… believe in angels Natsume?"

The butter knife that I had in my grasp slipped from my sweaty palms, then it landed on the counter with a horrible sound. So much for that amazing sandwich.

"Do… you?"

I was faced the opposite direction of him, trying so hard not to snap or breakdown. It was... still hard to grasp that she wasn't around.

"Natsume?"

"No."

I could feel my voice shaking. My whole soul was screaming at me to stop. To shut up and ignore his questions, but I knew who he was. He'd continue to persist until he got an answer. Like sister, like brother.

"I don't believe in something that would take Mikan away from me… from us. I refuse."

Picking up the utensil I dropped I began to splatter the peanut butter onto the bread and slammed the two pieces together. Then with unnecessary force I tossed the knife into the sink.

"If—" I heard his trembling voice. It was like he was convinced that angels were real. He was pleading me. Begging me to believe.

"Don't."

Coldly I replied to him. It wasn't like I wanted to hurt the poor ten year old, but the topic was touchy for some reason.

"But!"

"No!" I grunted out in quick action. To emphasize my point I even slammed the two pieces of bread together and handed it to him.

"Eat. I'll put your toy in your room."

I didn't want to be the villain in this situation… but I was quite stubborn. Hell, I was selfish and wasn't ready to deal with anything, not even from the one person that was close to her. I'm such a prick.

"It's not a toy Natsume! It's an angel Mikan told me to give you! She said that you need to believe in…"

"Enough!"

Taking the angel from his hands I deftly put the sandwich in his hand and stomped my way out of the kitchen. The soft sobbing that he had started could be heard even beyond the closed door.

Bringing myself to the couch in the living room I brought the angel above my head and groaned.

"Angels… aren't real…"

0