Chapter 174
163 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N:- Join Patreon with 368 chapters ahead! 

The $2 Tier has Early Access till Chapter 357.

The $4 Tier has Early Access till Chapter 361.

The $8 Tier has Early Access till Chapter 368.

... 

Leylin has left the extraction of benefits to Lita as he cared about his quest only. He was now walking on a little pathway of ash-gray stone.

The path was surrounded by white fog on both sides, and it became increasingly dense as it concealed the scenery.

On the still, empty road, only his footsteps sounded unceasingly. The scenery that was exactly the same on both ends made it easy for one to forget time, giving rise to a strong sense of fear but Leylin was savouring this moment as he loved every second of it. 

Combined with the unique power in the fog, even a Magus' tenacious willpower might not hold out.

If it were other lower-ranked Magi, they might long since have broken down, crying and yelling that they wanted to return, begging for release.

However, resolution and firmness mixed with intense desire was the only thing on Leylin's face. In the face of his mindset that was ten thousand times more stronger than steel, things that ancient Magi had specifically set up to test one's will were trivial.

As Leylin went deeper in, the surrounding fog became more dense, and even his feet became unclear. Every step seemed like he was walking on clouds.

Leylin took a step, and the scenery suddenly changed.

Now, the room had dark yellow planks and a mouldy ceiling. The squeaks of mice could be heard from the corner.

It was the most common image seen by commoners in the continent. There was not one piece of furniture in this little wooden cabin. Strangely, all that existed was a golden parrot cage at the center, a toad with a pipe in its mouth on top.

"Hey, brother! Are you here to give me a love letter on Miko's behalf? Please tell her that I'm busy and can't make it to the date tomorrow evening!"

The toad was dressed in a black top hat, looking relaxed. It puffed out one white smoke ring after another from the pipe.

'Toad Quark, It looks as ridiculous as it sounded in the story.' Leylin thought as he watched the toad, but deep inside he didn't dare to be disrespectful or suspicious. 

"Are you not Miko's messenger? Oh! Then it must be Elizabeth. She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. That skin, full of folds and spores, as well as those protruding eyes… Oh! She's my angel…"

The toad jabbered on and on, Leylin didn't show any impatience as he listened his words. After he saw that the jabbering isn't going to stop, he asked, "May I know where this is, Sir?"

"Quark's cabin, Number 232 at the edge of the world. Is there a problem?" The toad put its pipe down, its large eyes that were like light bulbs shooting Leylin a glance.

The Path of Quandary is similar to an astral gate. The Scarlet Crescent's defensive formation has sent Leylin to another plane. 

Many ancient defence systems had a last resort when they encountered an enemy that was much too powerful for the spell formations to be of use— banishment to an alternate world!

This was akin to an astral gate, teleporting Magi out of the Magus world.

As this was a one-time thing with no definite coordinates, unlucky Magi would usually be sent into spatial turbulences far, far away; or even into a giant storm. It would be extremely lucky to find another plane with life on it. However, returning to the Magus world? There was no need to even think about it.

At this moment, the floor suddenly began to tremble, seismic waves passing through every few moments.

Leylin was incomparably calm as his eyes shone with excitement and longing. He asked knowing the answer, "What is that?"

"Nothing, I have a new neighbour preparing to move in…"

The toad jumped off the parrot cage nonchalantly, bouncing as it headed out. Leylin turned his head following behind it.

After opening the door of the wooden cabin, In front of him was a large sandy wasteland. There were black holes and distorted nebulae in the sky, and a large green shadow that seemed to have taken root in the cosmos was shifting its body.

It was a giant ancient tree, its green leaves spilling with a jade-like lustre. 

"Hello, new friend! Do you need any help?" After seeing this tree, the toad happily went forward to welcome it, jumping onto a root as thick as a mountain.

Compared to the tree, the toad was like a speck of dust. No! It was ten thousand times smaller than a speck of dust!

Leylin looked around with a analyzing gaze as he looked at everything with great intrest. 

Walking out of a wooden cabin, the surroundings were a depthless black starry cosmos, and the cabin had been floating in the sky. There was even a shaky scrawl on the bronze door plate, reading 'Number 232, Edge of the World! This house belongs to Toad Quark.'

On that gigantic root the toad had jumped onto was another little cabin, this one constructed askew. There was a number there as well, 233. The name had changed to Wisdom Tree.

This is the Legendary ancient Wisdom Tree, the intellectual being of the Magus World that once enlightened multiple great ancient Magi. The culmination of all wisdom. 

*Rumble!* A few large cracks opened up on the tree that extended to the cosmos, sucking in the violent spatial storms and producing soundless whimpers.

Two enormous, yellowish eyes opened, followed by lips full of wooden lines.

"It's… been… a… long…. time… my… old… friend…" The tree's words were extremely loud. Just the sound waves were enough to blow everything over. Toad Quark had no choice but to hug the root tightly in order not to be blown away by the violent hurricane.

The Wisdom Tree's speech was very slow, taking a minute between syllables. It seemed that each thought required a great amount of time.

"And… also… a … new… friend…" *Bang!* The ground exploded, and a root that was like a mountain flew over, raising Leylin till he was before the ancient Wisdom Tree, meeting its starry gaze.

"I smell myself on you…" The Wisdom Tree's words were hard to decipher, but Leylin knew what it meant.

It is the essence of the ancient Wisdom Tree he used to breakthrough to Rank 3 and also the wooden cup made out of the bark of the Wisdom Tree. 

"You're a Warlock… Ah, I remember this feeling. You must be from the Magus World, right?" The ancient Wisdom Tree spoke slowly, each syllable taking a significantly long time. It was enough for any quick-tempered Magus to get annoyed.

Leylin was genuinely too happy to even care. He was full of respect towards the ancient Wisdom Tree, he bowed deferentially.

"Yes! I am Leylin Farlier, an insignificant seeker of knowledge of the Magus World. Greetings, mighty Enlightener!"

The Enlightener was a title given to the ancient Wisdom Tree by the combined decision of all the Magi in the Magus World.

It was rumoured that the ancient Wisdom Tree was the culmination of all wisdom. It was even knowledgeable in all the mysteries of the cosmos and the universe. There were countless high-ranked Magi who had gained enlightenment with its help, and even the glamour of the ancient era was, in part, possible thanks to its guidance.

However, the mighty ancient tree which had granted enlightenment and solved riddles had disappeared from the Magus World all of a sudden. No matter how hard the ancient Magi tried to find it, no traces were left behind.

In the following generations, many Magus historians had attributed the fall of the ancient era to the lack of guidance from the Wisdom Tree, leading to many ancient Magi walking a path ridden with errors.

Though Leylin did not really agree with this standpoint, it was true that it was very knowledgeable regarding Magi.

"The Magus World!" The ancient Wisdom Tree's large eyes flashed with nostalgia, "I still remember… 20 or 25 dark ages ago, the Magi were all adorable little children…"

The mighty ancient Wisdom Tree was like an old man trying to chase after the past, jabbering on and on.

Leylin listened silently at the side even though he know everything it was saying he still listened to the extremely slow speech with respect, this is partly because he knew that Toad Quark was beginning to get annoyed and would stop him, and also maybe the Wisdom Tree has already figured him out and is conveying something in his story, "Old friend, are you moving again? You've only lived here for 87,000 years… I've only taken a nap, and you're already moving again?"

"Yes, my friend! I feel the descent of terror. Even the end of the world can't hinder the spying of such power. The aftermath of the ancient era will continue to cause ripples, involving other worlds…"

The ancient Wisdom Tree said something that sounded like a prophecy. 

Leylin heard the sounds of the Wisdom Tree after speaking to the toad. "And there's you, you adorable thing. I can answer one question of yours as a present. Of course, it cannot touch upon the topic from before…"

"Many thanks, mighty Enlightener!" Leylin smiled as he was beyond elated, his wish is about to come true. An opportunity to have the Wisdom Tree solve a riddle was not something any Magus could have even in ancient times. Even a Breaking Dawn Magus would smash their own head in for such a chance.

Leylin knew exactly what he wants, he has thought about his wish way before coming here. This will define his future and change his present. 

Leylin took in a deep breath, clenched his fists, and asked the ancient Wisdom Tree this question, "I would like to know how to..... "

...

The fog disappeared, and Leylin was started awake.

He smiled as his eyes were very brilliant and clear as if a mist shrouding his inner peace is cleared. The fog was dissipating from the surroundings, and buildings were gradually revealing themselves. 

"Lita should be doing things on her front, I should pick out these things and push off before the Scarlet Crescent Ruins jumps off from the plane." Leylin looked at the large Magus building that had completely revealed itself in front of him, as a smile appeared on his face. Leylin has followed the knowledge of the canon he has, to the letter. He has never followed anything this strictly before this is because he had to succeed this time, no matter what. Any mishaps and failure wasn't an option, this is an outstanding chance which would completely change his future path and it's ramifications. 

Leylin walked towards the building which was a little western-styled building that was two storeys high. The window at the balcony was still open, as if the owner had only been gone a short period of time.

The brass door handle had a simple yet splendid lustre, and seemed to have been used regularly.

This building had been abandoned for at least over ten thousand years. It was naturally magic that resulted in this effect.

*Ka-cha!* After gripping the handle and putting some strength into it, the door was easily pushed open, revealing a hall with a giant fireplace. The firewood in there was still crackling and burning, a wave of heat gathering indoors.

Leylin scanned the area quickly and immediately gave up on the living room, going up to the second level of the building.

He first found the study room. There seemed to have been some spatial spells used here, and upon opening it, what was presented in front of Leylin was an enormous space comparable to a football field. He proceded to find the original owner's bedroom and finally find the item on the makeup table.

A blood-red earring in the shape of a crescent moon lay quietly in an opened jewellery box. He took it in his hand, and a stream of information was immediately transmitted over.

This is Scarlet Earring! A High-grade magic equipment and a Work of Mefylk!

Leylin also looked at the mirror of the make up frame. 

There was a large oval silver mirror inside, reflecting Leylin's image. Leylin didn't look at and quickly keet the mirror and going out of the bedroom and out of the villa.

The moment he left the villa, it completely vanished, leaving behind a large depression that looked to have been gnawed at by beasts.

... 

Inside the Scarlet Crescent Ruins, after Lita got the yellow map she proceded to take the commands of the control center. Although she didn't have full control it was enough. She monitored other Magus and made subtle obstruction in their path while she unleashed the Blood Vulture inside. This is one of the treasure brought by Lancy from the Quicksand Organization. It was an egg which grew in the past century, it's speciality is to find bloodline treasure. Lancy began to stash away all of the available resources as she send the new Void Assassins in her control to extract and take them. 

Her system worked like a well oiled machine as by every passing second she took more resources. At last she saw that the Rank 5 Warlock was approaching fast so, she awoke the final defence Adamantine Golem and send it to kill a Morning Star Magus, devour their point mass and engage the Rank 5 Warlock Wayde. 

A Radiant Moon Warlock was not to be trifled with. Even in the ancient times, such a Warlock was a strong contender that conquered.

The collisions between these two would instantly devastate their surroundings, causing an already chaotic region to become even more disordered.

Even if there were any problems or clues left behind, they would have been quickly wiped out in the destruction.

As the golden lion phantom continued growling, Lita found Leylin from the book and decided to hand over all the treasure so that she would be cleared from any suspicion, her body completely fading into the void.

The ruins no longer held any attraction for the duo of Lita and Leylin. The dangers would increase exponentially, and forcing them to stay wouldn't bring them any benefits as well. They thus decided to evacuate. Although Leylin would like to test his powers against a Rank 5 Magus, Wayde is just too strong and the confrontation would only yield loss so, he didn't hesitate to leave. 

4