11. Fragile
2.3k 7 144
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Holy shit," I said softly as I stared. "What would that have done to us?"

Lily replied, "That is a containment circle. Er, containment rectangle I suppose. It wouldn't have harmed us, but it would have trapped us. Once you got into bed, you wouldn't have been able to get back out. We would have been effectively restrained, and at the mercy of whatever your mother or Verothilas wanted to do next."

Me and Melissa were in my bedroom. We'd stripped the bed and pulled the mattress off to reveal the box spring. Written all around the top of it were a series of complicated runes, drawn out in black magic marker.

Mom was already in her own bed, with two cats and a dog piled ontop and beside her keeping her company. I was pretty sure she was asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow. She'd been thoroughly exhausted, both emotionally and physically by the afternoon's events.

I finally remembered to relay Lily's answer to Melissa, who asked "What do you think would have happened next?"

"Based on the drawings in your mother's notes," Lily stated, "Your mother probably would have attempted a ritual to separate us. And if she was successful, I would have wound up back in my amulet, and you would have died. Your mother would be left standing over your body, with my amulet around your neck."

I sighed, "Oh fuck that... That would have utterly destroyed mom."

Lily agreed, "Indeed."

After a few moments I relayed that part of the conversation as well, so Melissa was up to speed on the consequences and everything.

"Fuck that's dark," she sighed as she shook her head. "So do we have to worry about this demon trying something else? I mean, this sounds like she's out for blood? Like attacking your mom, trying to get you killed and Lily imprisoned again?"

Lily sighed, and I was positive she was blushing as she answered "In fact I suspect this was all just a tease. I think Verothilas meant it as a game. She could have done far, far worse to your mother, but instead left her in a state such that you and Melissa were able to easily save her. While the stakes were certainly high and she may have allowed the game to play out to a lethal conclusion, I can't be certain she actually meant any malice."

I was quiet for a few moments and I had a dark frown on my face as I processed that. Then I repeated it quickly for Melissa's benefit.

Melissa summed up my feelings as she commented, "That's pretty fucking dark for something meant to be a game. And I don't see how it could be anything but malicious, considering what she did to Ms. Carter?"

"I know," Lily sighed, "But my kind are not... We often don't take into account the impact our actions have on other peoples' feelings? We're not human, and we do not play well with humans. I'm sorry."

I passed that along as well, then added "It's not your fault Lily. And without your help we'd be in a much worse place all around. I don't blame you for this. And I guess it's nice that we don't have to worry about this demon trying to outright kill us? But I'm still going to worry about her wanting to play more games or whatever."

"Fair enough," Lily replied. "For what it's worth, now that I know who we're dealing with I will be better prepared. There are certain signs I can watch for, and I will be looking for them in everyone else we're acquainted with to ensure nobody else falls victim to Verothilas."

"Good to know," I stated. Then I shared that part of the conversation with my best friend too.

Melissa nodded, then gestured towards the bed and asked "So how'd you know to look for this before going to bed?"

"Lily told me," I replied. "Lily how'd you know to have me check?"

She explained, "Once you and Melissa broke Verothilas' grip on your mother, I was able to read her clearly again. I saw some images that suggested she was working on a containment circle, and that it was hidden in your bedroom."

Once again I relayed the answer for Melissa's sake.

"Maybe you should sleep with me tonight?" she suggested. "I'm guessing there's no easy way to make your bed here safe again."

Lily agreed, "The best bet is to burn the box-spring and acquire a replacement. This one cannot be made safe."

"Yeah, let's do that." I grabbed my backpack, and was careful to stay well clear of the bed as I made my way out of the bedroom. We closed the door, then went into Melissa's room next door.

As the two of us started getting undressed, Melissa asked "Here's another question. Your mom said she got that lotto picture from the demon right? So how'd the demon get it? I mean, I saw the photo that went up on the lotto website and it was just like waist-up, it showed you two holding the giant cheque but didn't show any legs or feet."

"Huh," I frowned. "That's what I thought too, I'd never seen that full-length shot before."

Once again Lily had an answer. She suggested, "Someone at the lotto office, perhaps the photographer himself, is likely in service of or bound to Verothilas."

A moment later she pointed out, "If I'm not mistaken that photograph was taken on June twenty-first? That was the Friday your mother received the cheque. And you said Solitare started following you on social media the day after, June twenty-second."

"Damn," I sighed as I got into bed with Melissa. "That makes sense? So like the photographer or whatever saw the mark on my ankle, recognized it as demonic and took an extra picture, then sent that to his boss? Probably along with my name and everything. And the next day his boss searched me out online and started following me."

Melissa cleared her throat and I apologized then gave her Lily's part of that conversation so she was up to speed again.

"These sorts of conversations would be a lot easier if I could hear both sides of the discussion at once you know," she pointed out with a little irritation.

"Sorry Melissa," I apologized again. "I agree, but I don't know if Lily would appreciate a three-way cuddle session. And I'm not sure there's enough room for her in the bed. It's pretty cosy as it is with just the two of us."

A moment later I smirked and added, "It's a shame though you don't get to hear all the cute flustered noises she's making right now."

Melissa giggled quietly, and Lily huffed "I think I'll take my leave, as you two appear to be finished with the serious conversation and have moved on to the 'Tease the Demon' portion of the programme."

"Ok Lily. Goodnight cutie," I whispered to her. Then I let my best friend know, "She's gone off to hide now that I've started teasing her."

"You shouldn't bully your demon like that," Melissa whispered. She was grinning though as she added, "I bet she's really cute."

I nodded, "She's adorable. If she was on discord, every other message from her would be a key-smash. And her top two emojis would be a blush and a pout."

Melissa giggled again, "Oh my gosh Mara that's adorable! I can't believe you're such a bully to her. Be nice to your cute subby demon!"

"I know, but she makes it so easy!" I grinned. Then I stifled a yawn and added, "Ok I guess we should get some sleep too... Hopefully things will better in the morning."

She nodded and cuddled against me a little closer, and the two of us drifted off to sleep fairly soon after that.

When we all got up Sunday morning mom said she was feeling a little better, but me and Melissa could both tell she was still sort of fragile. I made us all french toast for breakfast and me and Melissa agreed to stay with her through most of the day.

All three of us went out together to walk Farah, we had lunch together, and we even stayed and had dinner with mom. At one point in the afternoon me and Melissa dragged that box spring down the stairs and out of the house, then Melissa stayed inside with mom while Lily took over and used some magic to reduce the thing to ashes out on the driveway.

While Lily and I were doing that, Melissa helped mom to purge her laptop of everything Verothilas sent her, then for good measure they blocked the demon's emails and blocked her on the forum and anywhere else mom had contact with her. The notes and stuff mom printed out were shredded, and mom put the books 'professor Travoise' recommended she buy into a box to take to a used book store.

Me and Melissa volunteered to stay overnight again, but mom was doing a lot better by that point. She was confident that she'd be fine, and she didn't want us to be late for classes in the morning. She gave me and Melissa both hugs and thanked us both for taking care of her. She even thanked Lily for helping save her from Verothilas's clutches.

It was around eight o'clock Sunday night when me and Melissa finally got back on the road for the drive home. We were both kind of tired again, and I was still a little anxious about leaving mom alone.

"I think she'll be ok," Melissa said as she got us onto the highway. "Call her though in the morning? Like before she has to head out to class, just to make sure."

I nodded, "Yeah, I will. I'll probably be talking to her a lot this week, just to be sure she's all right."

She suggested, "If she starts feeling upset or whatever, we can head back out and spend more time with her. Just like, call out sick from our classes."

"Aw," I gave Melissa a compassionate look but she was focused on the road. "That's really generous of you, but you don't have to cut classes for her. I could get out there by public transit or whatever? I'm sure there's a bus or train or something."

She glanced at me with a kind smile, "Mara she's the closest I've got to a mom now. You two have been my family since July. I mean, Sam still talks to me but I haven't even seen him since April. So of course I'd do that for her, and for you."

That filled me with a bunch of emotions, like I felt both happy and blessed that Melissa felt that strongly about my mom, but it also made me feel really sad for my best friend that her own family abandoned her so hard.

I reached over and put my hand on her shoulder and gave her a gentle squeeze, "Thanks Melissa. I'm honoured to have you in our family and I'm sure mom is too."

She just smiled.

I couldn't help myself though and a moment later I added, "But I'm still not going to think of you as a sister, because I really enjoy sleeping with you and I don't want that to become weird."

Melissa suppressed a giggle, "Yeah, me too."

We were both quiet for a few minutes, but eventually more worries about my mom bubbled up to the surface of my mind.

I asked quietly, "Hey Lily? Now that we've saved my mom from that other demon, is she like completely safe? Or could the demon go after her again?"

Lily replied, "Unfortunately Verothilas could revisit your mother and start the process over again. There are some protective spells and wards which could be employed to keep her out of your mother's home, but they would also keep you and I away."

"Damn," I sighed.

Melissa glanced at me, "That doesn't sound good."

I relayed what Lily said, then asked her "Could you protect mom somehow? You said that you protect me and Melissa right? Can't you look after my mom the same way?"

"You are protected by way of our pact," Lily explained. "And I am able to protect Melissa through the contract she made with me. In order to protect your mother I would need to form a contract with her, and... That would be insensitive, and inappropriate, especially considering the recent circumstances."

I sighed again, "I guess. If it meant she'd be protected though it might be worth doing? I mean, if she wanted. Worth mentioning or suggesting to her anyways."

Once again I relayed what Lily said so Melissa was in the loop.

My best friend's attention was still on driving, we were still over an hour away from home. I saw a mix of emotions on her face though, and she finally said "I agree with Lily. I don't think it would be a good idea to get your mom into a contract with her."

That surprised me, and led to a mix of uneasy thoughts and emotions of my own.

I finally asked, "Melissa? Is there something in your contract with Lily that's... I don't know, upsetting? Something you don't want my mom involved in?"

Lily was completely silent now, and my best friend took a deep breath then let out a deep sigh.

After another minute or so of silence, Melissa said quietly "I appreciate you've never asked about any of the details before, Mara. And I think under other circumstances, I wouldn't want to talk about this? But yeah, there's stuff in my contract that I really don't want your mom to have to do."

My stomach started feeling cold and heavy as I asked, "Will you tell me what's in the contract that's so bad?"

She took another deep breath or two, then nodded "All right. Just, please don't hate me or think less of me, ok?"

"Of course."

Melissa hesitated again, then she started talking.

Can't wait to find out what happens next? Join our Patreon and get immediate access to the next chapter and more! Patrons have already read up to chapter 18 - and they got a bonus chapter that followed immediately after this one - and you could too!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

144