Chapter 1
7.4k 23 199
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1

 

“Thanks to all my patrons and followers and a special shoutout to my little pogchamp Slymaid. Such a good girl for tuning in today. Bye now.” 

My cheeks flushed, she did it again, she called me a good girl. This needs to stop, I’m a guy. But every time she does it I don’t say anything, I just go along with it and post the stupid blushing emojis. I mean, I do blush, kind of, my face gets warm. I’m probably just so starved for affection that even a Vtuber complimenting me makes me feel special. Why didn't I just correct her the first time it happened? This could've all been avoided. 

A year ago I didn’t know what the words pog or Vtuber even meant. Now here I am watching Serenitea twice a week being called pogchamp. Serenitea is a Vtuber, essentially a streamer who uses a 3-D anime girl model instead of showing her face on camera. Her avatar has cute curly pastel blue hair, wide green eyes and wears a cowgirl getup, hat included. She uses a slight yet charming southern accent but you can tell she’s also using a voice modulator, when asked about it she’s said it’s to maintain her privacy outside stream life. 

My roommate Emma was the one who introduced me to streamers and had mentioned the newcomer Serenitea. I wasn't much for the whole thing at first, but Emma has some sort of foresight into my psyche. She always seemed to know exactly the kinds of things I’d enjoy. 

Right, so about the girl thing. It was all one big misunderstanding. I liked Serenitea’s stream so much I decided to make an account, I originally was going to go with Slimeade, I thought it was a stupid enough throw away name and I really like cherry limeade. Sadly it was taken, so after exhausting all my other options. Those options being Slimeade420 and Slimeade69 which were also taken, I said screw it and tried a different spelling. Unfortunately I put the word maid in my username, which made everyone including Serenitea think I was a girl. 

The first time I commented, saying how much I was enjoying her playing a dating sim about a book club, she got really happy and called me a good girl. I started to type out that I wasn't a girl but I froze and didn’t respond. I’ve never understood why. 

Ever since then, her as well as other users in chat treat me like a girl. The worst part is, I've made friends with some of the other viewers. We play games and hang out, but I never go on voice chat because obviously I can’t. I’d never be able to pull off a girl's voice, not without more practice anyways.

A knock on my door jolted me out of my daze. I close out my browsers and answer the door. 

“Hey you, how’s it going? You look like you're in a good mood.” Emma's voice is always so cheerful. 

“Yeah, I’m doing good, just finishing up some stuff, watched some streamers for a bit. Gonna get ready to head out soon." What does she mean by good mood?

"Do you have plans? I was wondering if you wanted to come hang out with me and the girls at the mall. We're gonna go shopping and get our hair done, yours is getting so long now I thought you might want to get it styled."

Here she goes again, Emma is my best friend and she's usually spot on about things I'd enjoy. But being a guy in a group of girls was definitely not my idea of fun. 

Ever since I let my hair grow out everyone wants to comment on it. I just like it better longer, lots of guys have long hair. Plus what would I even go shopping for? It's not like I'd find anything I actually like, I'd end up wearing some variation of the same thing I always do and wind up being dressed exactly like two of my friends. Then I'd have to pose for an awkward photo because "We're matching bros." And spend the entire time talking about how deep and woke the show Rick and Morty is with some guy I barely know. I'd rather dive groin first into a pool of piranhas.

"Thanks, but I don't think I'd really fit in. Besides, I told Brett I'd come to his game day party." I honestly wasn't looking forward to it. But it's what's expected of me. Sportsball and beer, it wasn't very poggers.

She put her hand on my shoulder, "It's ok. Just know that you're always invited, I think you'd have a lot of fun." She turned around and made her way to the door. 

"And you know, a little bit of style would be good. You'd look even cuter." She giggled and shot me a look that not only struck fear in my heart but made it pound from excitement.

My face could have melted the polar ice caps. I was like a deer in headlights. Why does she insist on teasing me? I'm not cute, at least, not like this. Wait, what am I saying? Guys aren't cute, guys are just...ugh!

I shut my door and sit on my bed frustrated. Emma was so cute, her auburn hair that went past her shoulders, little freckles across her cheeks, those deadly blue eyes. Stop it, she doesn't like me that way. I don't even like me that way, at least, not unless…

I open my closet and stare at the box on the floor shoved in the back. Completely unassuming, some old jeans ever so carefully draped on top. No one would ever think twice about this box if they saw it. I wonder if I have time. 

My phone buzzes and the sound of Sereniteas voice cheerfully shouting "You're my little pogchamp." Goes off.

Brett messaged me, "Hey Brotacular! Game's starting soon. You comin or wut?" Fine, let's get this over with.

199