Chapter nineteen G.
1.6k 6 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Chapter nineteen G.

 

       17:36.

 

       The portal pulled me once more, dragging my body through space and into a higher frame rate of time. Biting, frigid air lashed at me as I stumbled onto the scenic overlook. And scenic overlook it was, the massive expanse of a dark landscape stretched farther than my eyes could see. The world was indistinguishable from the outside, the ceiling of the cavern having been masterfully designed to look like the night sky. Thousands of stars glittered respectively in the night tableau. Three moons arched across the heavens, one of hazy silver light breaking around clouds, the other two giving off ghostly blue light. 

 

Snow fell in the distance from clouds clinging to mountain tops. The buffeting of the wind providing a quiet symphony passing through the trees below. The evergreens, as close to what I could tell, would be better called ever purples, glistening in a wavy ocean of snow-covered hills. 

 

“Holy fuck…”

 

“Big isn’t it.” Lucius said, walking up alongside me. 

 

“That’s one way to understate it.” I said.

 

“The legion really out did it’s self on this level, a cold wonder scape, Lord Eric.” Clymiphae said, the awe in her voice caressing my ear.

 

“Shits…and tits, I think it gets colder every timesss we comes here.” Branwen said, moving up to the ledge of the scenic overlook. She was wrapping a thick fur-lined cloak around her already coated body. “I hate the cold.”

 

“It truly is a wonder, amazing what you can do with three thousand plus years.” Titus said, fitting a warm-looking beany on his head before placing his helmet back on. 

 

I noticed none of my party had their weapons out. Chariklia was the only one who did not look overly bothered by the cold. “How big is this level?” I asked.

 

“1600 kilometers give or take some, from here to the far end of the valleys past the mid mountain range.” Titus said, pointing out the mountain range in the middle of the massive floor. “And about 800 kilometers from one side of the valley to the other.”

 

“What the fuck, seriously?”

 

“You didn’t even ask me the height; the ceiling of this cavern is just about 50 kilometers.”

 

“Whaaaat.” I said, forgetting to speak a little. “It is its own little world.”

 

“Yeah…man that look never gets old.” Lucius said, smiling as he watched the changing emotion on my face. 

 

“The pamphlet doesn’t do it any credit.”  

 

“Well, that’s intentional. Sets the mood for new Exalted Mages, reminds them there are bigger monsters on Forduna than them; and that their inside of one.” Titus said. 

 

“How are we even supposed to clear the level?”

 

       “Well, we could rush through. That might take us a half day to a full day to find the giant chief. But escorting you, it can take days to find the camp.”

 

       “Days?”

 

       “Long days, slogging through snow and fighting all manner of monsters. See just like the last level that intoxicated adventurers, this level freezes them. One must survive the beasts of the forests and the weather long enough to find the chief. Then be whole enough to fight him and win.” Titus said, smiling from behind the light wool scarf he wrapped around his neck.

 

       “So, your telling me we won’t have this done by dinner?”

 

       “Na…no way in hell but didn’t want to ruin the awesomeness for you.” Lucius said, clapping me on the shoulder. 

 

       I pulled one of the warm blood potions from my ring. “Might want to save those for when we’re in the forest Lord Eric. If you can manage?” Titus said, stopping me before I could drink.

 

       The steady breeze was cold, and I would have already been dead if not for the boost in body that my new armor gave me. “I can wait.” I answered, moving my onesie hood and helmet up over my head. Closing the faceguard kept the stinging wind from my lips, but the freezing metal of the helmet would freeze to my face. 

 

       Opening it back up, I pulled from my storage ring a pair of Sasha and Milly’s panties. Lining the inside of my face guard with the lacy silk did wonders for my face. ‘Were they clean or dirty, well that I will never tell.’

 

        “Did you justs puts women’s underwear in your face plates?” Branwen asked, looking at me with her head cocked.

 

       “Ummm…Maybe.”

 

       “Ha…what ever gets the job done right Lord Eric.” Lucius said as he hid his smile behind a scarf.

 

       ‘Really going to have to get me one of those…’ “Right Lucius.” I answered.

 

       “Forgoing anymore pantie inquiries, let’s start heading down. It’s a long walk to the bottom.” Titus said, getting everyone moving.

 

        Following Titus, we headed to the far-right-hand side of the scenic overlook. A wide set of stone stairs devoid of ice marked the beginning of our descent into the level. Thousands upon thousands of stairs zigzagged down the mountain face. The icy breeze steadily wearing away at us, we bundled ourselves tight, taking each step one at a time. 

 

       Titus led the way, followed by Lucius and Chariklia. Clymiphae and me came next while Branwen took the rear. 

 

       “Centaurs hate stairs.” Clymiphae said.

 

       “Really… I guess so.” I said, looking at the awkward angle of her body and could only guess at how uncomfortable it was.

 

       “Yes, it’s why those three are in the lead and Branwen is behind us Lord Eric, to catch me if I fall.” her eyes darted ever so slightly to me as she spoke.

 

       “Welllll…neaverrr fear Clymiphae I’m not just here for looksss.” I said, the chill of the decent beginning to stick to me.

 

       “You’ed help me Lord?”

 

       “Yeappp.” I said with a shiver. 

 

       The winding back and forth went on for what felt like forever. Halfway down and I could feel the frost collecting on my edge lord coat. My fingertips, which stuck out from holes I cut in the tips of my onesie, had long ago found their way inside my pockets. Gripping tightly to force blood to the end of my digits.

 

       “Are you well Lord Ericss?” Branwen asked, coming closer to Clymiphae and me. 

 

       “Oh, justttt dandy…all sunshine and rainbowsss for me. How about you Lucius?” I yelled forward.

 

       “It’s colder than the frozen tits of Sippsie in winter. But us legion men won’t be turned back by weather.” Lucius said, sounding way too warm. 

 

       ‘Damn it Branwen and me are the only ones cold…fuck Clymiphae’s actually got steam coming off her. fuck I just want her to sit on me now…that sounds warm…oh fuck what was warmth again.’ I thought as I stared way too long at Clymiphae, causing her eyes to light with a smile. 

 

       “How are you Branwen?”

 

       “Me I’m fine’ss. I just wear extra cloths because I like to keep my kitty nice and warm.” She said with a laughing purr. 

 

         “Why am I so cold, my body stat is 105 with my armor.” I said, managing to keep the shiver from my voice.

 

       Slowing slightly, Titus responded, “it’s the way of enchantments that deal with stats, though your skin, bone and sinew is heightened to that level. The more subtle things, like regulation temperature, poison and disease resistance are not effected as much. Those are probably closer to 40.” 

 

       “Have to get you an enchantment meant to keep you warm or regulate body temperature Lord Eric.” Clymiphae added. 

 

       “Good to know.” ‘I’m going to have to get me one of those…fuck if I hadn’t sold my cloud wool, I could have probably just jumped off the cliff.’ I thought after answering Clymiphae.

 

       Hours later, we finally made it to the bottom of the stairs. The stones had not been icy, having been kept clear by the dungeon itself. The landing opened onto a snowy landscape, with high drifts outlining a trail of sorts. The forest of ever purples began some distance through the snow maze. The trees were easily hundreds of meters high, and if not for their diffuse needle patter, no light would fall on the frozen world below their massive bows.

 

       “Lucius, Chariklia check the cave.” Titus ordered. 

 

       With swift movements, the two set of for the cliff face we had just descended from. I watched as the two disappeared into the rock face.  

 

       A few moments later, Lucius stuck his head out and yelled, “All clear boss.”

 

       “Good, let’s get inside and get warm.” Titus said.

 

       We moved into the small cave opening. The tunnel had two sharp right-angled turns before opening on a room. The 15-meter room was just big enough that we could comfortably move in it. In the center, there was a premade fire pit. Clymiphae walked over to it, and Lucius began to unload wood from one of her saddlebags. 

 

       “Let’s get something over the opening.” Titus said.

 

       Branwen moved and pulled a thick blanket from the saddlebags and hung it from a small ledge over the cave opening. Held down with rocks, the slight breeze that had found its way into the room subsided to nothing. 

 

       Firewood stacked in the pit Lucius knelt and began to strike flint and steel. Moving over to him, I said, “Let me.” With a flick of Mana, I used the [Candel flame] spell to send a small jet of fire onto the wood. With a marry crackle, the wood began to burn a soft white and orange. 

 

       The heat rolled off the fire in great, pleasant waves, and the cave heated quickly.

 

       “White wood, from level 12 of the dungeon. Burns slow and converts most of its energy to ambient heat, though it never goes above a warm summer day in temperature.” Titus explained.

 

       Sitting on benches around the fire, the Titans Sheild took their coats, scarfs, and other warm apparel off. I took a moment to check the time. 

 

18:06.

 

       “So, what is this place? Why would the dungeon help us by making this?” I asked. 

 

       “Oh that, well you see Lord Eric, if your freezing to death you can’t leave the dungeon. So new Exalted Mages must make it down the stairs first, many barely make it here. This allows them to get warm, so they have the chance to leave.” Lucius answered. 

 

       “The dungeon really does try and help train us?” 

 

       “Somewhat…a few still freeze to death on the way down.” Titus said.

 

       “So, what’s next?” I asked, unfastening my helmet and breastplate, letting them slide off me. Sitting without a shirt on let the heat of the fire quickly permeate my body.

 

        “That depends on you Lord Eric. I doubt we’ll find the Giant Chief. When was the last time we were on this level?” Titus asked the group.

 

       “Five months ago?” Lucius answered questioningly.

 

       “Six and a few weeks. It was that Barons son, the one who died a few runs later with a different A ranked group.” Chariklia said.

 

       “No way he’s in the same spot, could be anywhere by now. How long would you like to stay Lord Eric?” Titus asked.

 

       “Want, days…But I did tell my acting wives I would go to Dinner with them. Best not piss them off, say 19:00 to 19:30 imperial time.”

 

       “Wise choice Lord Eric, disappointing wives, by Alleystra is never good. So that gives us 10 to 12 hours in the dungeon. Humm… Dinner you say. We could hunt the Gelida Arietes, it is a delicacy?” Titus asked the group.

 

       “The alpha?” Branwen asked from her spot sitting between Titus’s legs.

 

       “No, he roams the far end of the level usually. But there is always a herd by the lake.” Lucius said.

 

       “It should take us six hours to reach. We could find some snow berries and calidi mushrooms along the way for Lord Eric.” Clymiphae added. 

 

       “Those do pair nicely together.” Chariklia added in a hungry voice.

 

       “What’s so special about them?” I asked.

 

       “The Arietes is wonderful. Even when cooked it is ice cold with a mixed flavor of fruits. It also adds cold resistance to the body, so what you don’t eat for Dinner can be made into jerky. Mixed with a snow berry glaze, it doubles the effect if prepared right.” Branwen added, licking her lips. 

 

       “It’s good, cost 25 silvers a kilo as well.” Lucius said hungrily. 

 

       “That sounds delicious to me.”

 

       “Right, it’s a plan. Remember we can only kill three of them, don’t want to attract the Grazer guardian.”

 

       “What’s that?”

 

       “The Arietes are the food for the hunters on this level, if you kill to many the dungeon sends a guardian to hunt you. Even if you leave the next time you come in it will appear to hunt you. You have to kill it before it will stop. Same with the Glacies Lepus, ice horned little shits.” Lucius said.  

        

       The crackle of the fire had warmed the cave, a soft summer heat billowing from the flames. With a nod, everyone began to get up. Re-dawning our armor and warm clothes, we made ready to leave. Heading back out of the cave, I checked my watch. 

 

18:09

 

       Once more, in the low blue light reflected by the snow, I followed behind Clymiphae. 

 

       “Clymiphae up front, you remember what to watch out for. Branwen watch her back. Lord Eric next to me, Lucius and Chariklia on the sides.” Titus said, giving us our marching order. 

 

       Looking at Titus, I raised my eyebrows in question. “Centaurs are more stable on the ground. While there are not exactly traps on this level, in spots there are frozen over holes of water with thin ice on the top. Fall into one and you have minutes until you freeze to death.” Titus explained from next to me. 

 

       “That…sounds unpleasant.” I said as we followed the frozen snowdrifts on both sides of us; into the dim light of the forest. 

 

       The group had all pulled their weapons out shield and spears; these were of the short variety. More maneuverable while still giving some reach. Steam rose from Clymiphae’s flanks, finding its way through the small joints of her armor. 

 

       Branwen moved up and to the right side of us, walking lightly on the snow berms that were higher than our heads. Though as we found ourselves deeper in the forest, the amount of snow dropped off quickly. 

 

       “Watch out for the tree wells also Lord Eric, the snow is soft under them and it’s like trying to climb out of a sand pit.” Lucius advised from next to me. 

 

       Nodding my head to him, I did not speak, knowing my voice would be too muffled from my silky face protection for him to hear me unless I yelled. The silence of our journey was only broken by the soft crunch of ice and snow. The trees and snow absorbed most of the sound, and a yell would only travel a few meters before the quiet of the world devoured it.   

 

       Steaming breath bloomed from our mouths when Clymiphae stopped suddenly. “Ice hole in the middle of the path.” She said, thrusting her spear out and cracking the thin sheet of ice. 

 

       She moved around the edge, breaking it as she went. Moving in her hoof prints, we followed carefully. The 60-centimeter hole was barely big enough to fall into, but one wrong step would easily send a leg plunging into the water and soaking the body up to the waist. The water was black, and I had the feeling it was deep enough to engulf a person. 

 

       “CLYMEEE…” Branwen yelled as a massive thing of blue and purple fur fell on her from high above in the trees.

 

       Its massive bulk landing on her drove her to the ground and onto her side. In a furry of rending claws, the thing tore into Clymiphae. 

       “AHHH.” She wailed out as Titus, without hesitation, rushed forward with blinding speed. He struck the creature with his tower shield. His spear was gouging a rent along one of its legs. 

 

       The hit sent the monster flying into a berm of snow. Branwen sored over its head, releasing a trio of knives down at it, imbedding themselves along its back.  

 

       With my newfound speed, I tore from the ground, a swirl of snow exploding from around my feet. Sword drawn and shield attached to my left hand; I slammed into the 3 and a half meter creature. Driving my long sword forward, it struck the chest of the beast, glancing off from the bone of its rib cage, opening a gash along its chest. 

 

       Swatting at me with its hind paws, the force was taken on my shield but sent me hurling back into the other snowdrift ass first. Momentarily stuck, I watched as the spears of Lucius and Chariklia found a new home in the creature. Plunging deep into the chest cavity of the blue and purple fur. 

 

       Landing atop its head, Branwen’s short sword plunged through the black eyes of the beast. Ending its fight forever.

 

       [ you have helped kill:

           Carleum tigris: 500xp.] 

 

       “Clymeee…” Branwen hissed, lunging from atop its head, landing next to the mewling centaur.

 

       Wrenching myself from my folded stuck position in the snow, I ran to Clymiphae. Her front legs wear mauled, the light chain mail that protected her having done little to stop the claws of the beast. Bright red blood flowed freely onto the snow, sullying the ground around her. Her belly by her back legs had deep claw marks where some of her chainmail had failed as well. A length of intestines protruding from the broken links of chainmail. 

 

       “Get a healing potion into her.” Titus commanded as Chariklia pulled a bright red vial from her bag, feeding it to Clymiphae as she cradled her head.

 

       “That’s only going to buy us time, we must close her abdomen.” Branwen said by her flanks.

 

       “Move, let me see.” I said, kneeling in front of the exposed intestine. 

 

       Channeling my Mana, a soft gold light spilled from my fingertips as I used the spells [ focused healing] and [ analyze body], dumping 10.5 mana per second into the task. Finding the torn intestine, I pushed it back into her. I Reattached it to the membrane that held everything in place. Sealing torn arteries and veins from which her life flowed. My sense followed the potion as it blossomed in her stomach, quickly spreading to every part of her body. It was Forcing more blood to be made and mixing with my magic to close her wounds. 

 

       The gashes on her legs closed, and after 15 seconds, 157.5 mana, she was stable. I watched as the system showed me her health.

 

       [ Clymiphae:

           69 percent.

           73 percent.

           78 percent.

           86 percent.

           88 percent.] 

 

       The healing from myself and the potion stabilizing her at 88 percent. The others of the group shot knowing glances at each other, seen only in my peripheral vision; I paid them no mind. 

 

       “She’s going to need to rest for a few days before she’s back to 100 percent.” Titus said.  

 

         “Yes, but I’m better now. I can continue. Thank you, Lord Eric.” Clymiphae said, the pain and discomfort leaving her slightly as she rested her head in Chariklia’s lap.

 

       “No problem. Can’t have one of the team dying on me.” I said without thinking. 

 

       “Can you stand?” Lucius asked, offering his hands to help her up. 

 

       “Yes, I think so.” She said, taking the help as she shakily got to her hoofs. “Give me just a minute and I’ll be ready to go.” 

 

       “Right, well lets skin this thing.” Titus said, giving Clymiphae some space to recover. 

 

       “What the hell was a Carleum tigris doing this close to the forest edge?” Titus wondered when I moved up next to him.

 

       “Don’t know boss, you know this level its way more free form than some of the others. Maybe it just got lost?” Lucius said, taking out a knife and beginning to rip open the beast. 

 

       I let the two skin the creature and take its body apart. The claws were removed along with the large tusks in its mouth. Chariklia and Branwen helped Clymiphae reorganize herself and fix her armor as best they could while the two worked.

 

       Me, I stood around like a jackass with his thumb up his ass. I did keep a lookout, though, but I doubted with this thing around, any other monsters would be close by.

 

       When the pelt and parts were added into Clymiphae’s saddlebags, we fell back into our positions. Continuing on through the forest, this time looking up far more often than we had been.

 

       “Thank you for healing her Lord Eric.” Titus said as we moved. 

 

       “No problem, I like her she’s had my back. And you would do the same for me.” 

 

       “True, our most expensive healing items we save for the Exalted ones. How is your Mana, Lord?”

 

       “I will recover shortly, no need to worry. I have mana potions and pills as well.” 

 

       “I see.” Titus said, his suspicion hidden behind his wool scarf. 

 

18:15.

 

       We moved towards the base of the central mountain range. On the portal side of the valley, there was a lake halfway into the forest. The frozen show barely hid the ground as we moved deeper. The cold, however, sunk into me. After the adrenaline had worn off and a light coating of sweat began to freeze to me, my joints stiff from the cold, I drank a potion. 

 

       [ warm-bloodied: duration 30 minutes.] 

 

       The heat from the potion permeated my body like a good whisky, and I felt any hint of the frozen air dissipate from my body. ‘That’s nice…levels not so bad with this.’ I thought.

 

       Three more frozen holes were found by Clymiphae and avoided. The largest being 14 meters in size and well concealed by the light coating of snow. 

 

       Passing patches of blue-silver light, we found snowberry bushes, and the bright purple berries were collected and given to me. A cluster of mushrooms was found as well, the deep red color alien in the light, making them appear almost black. 

 

       Another potion later with some time in between. The howls came. “Arrrroooow.” Echoed from all sides, bouncing around the trees. 

 

       “Shit form up…Around Lord Eric, Branwen guard his side.” Titus hollered. 

 

       Clymiphae, Titus, Lucius, and Chariklia formed a circle around me while Branwen stood at my back.

 

       “Do your best Lord Eric, we can hold them.” Branwen said. 

 

        Loping through the trees, five great shadows circled us. The dark fur of the wolves blending them with the low light. Pearl white teeth and fangs bared at our group. Promises of death whispered by their rumbling growl.

 

       In unison, the wolf’s attack. Charging the line of shields as one. The front paws of the beasts staggered on the tower shields of Titus. The screech of claw on metal filled the small clearing. The sharp click of teeth biting air emanated from the great drooling wolves. 

 

       “Two on me.” cried Lucius, letting us know where the fifth had chosen to attack. 

       

       The short spears of the group tore the flesh of our enemy. Not wanting to be left out, I found my chance to strike. The fifth wolf to my right had the side of its body exposed to me as it thrashed its head back and forth with Lucius’s shield in his mouth. Raising my hand, I loosed a [ plasma beam] at the side of the wolf, not wanting to risk any more accidental injuries. The lance of fire flashed out and punched a hole through its heart. Fighting for a few more seconds, not realizing it was already dead, it fell to the ground in a crumpled mess.

 

       The second wolf on Lucius had been pierced through just above its hind legs. Leaping forward, I sunk my sword into its flailing head, bisecting part of its lower jaw. Turning back, Clymiphae had risen on her hind legs bringing the full weight of her front right hoof onto the back of her wolf, breaking it against the ground. 

 

       Branwen had moved with a short sword and cleaved the legs from Chariklia’s wolf. Moving to the downed creatures, I delivered the killing blow. Titus was beating the wolf with his spear using it more like a staff, keeping the wolf subdued on the ground. Walking up to it, all the fight had been bashed out of it; I drove my sword through its eye.

 

       [ You have helped kill Great wolf: 22000XP. 8000XP. 4000XP. 2000XP. 5000XP.]

 

     [ You have leveled. Level 32.]

     

     [You have leveled. Level 33.] 

 

       With the last squelch of blood, the clearing around the massive trees fell silent again. “Right, lets skin them and get moving.” Titus instructed. 

 

       The group moved with knives with practiced efficiency, removing the fur from the wolves. Clymiphae and me stood guard as the others worked.

 

       “Are you feeling better?” I asked.

 

       “Yes, Lord Eric, thanks to you.” Clymiphae said, standing close to me. She watched over my shoulder as I did the same for her. Our bodies close enough that her heat washed over my face through my eye slit. Her dark blue eyes landing on me with warm affection.

 

       The skins loaded; we fell into formation. The trail weaving ever deeper towards our destination. Ears open, we walked. Watching for any other ambushes or signs of beasts. 

 

       After some time of walking, the trickle of a stream filtered through the trees. Coming from around a group of ever purples, a small flowing stream bisected our path. 

 

       “How is the water not frozen?” I asked.

 

       “Normal water would freeze in a second. This though, is laced with Mana. It will freeze anything in moments if you submerge it.” Titus answered as I knelt by the water. Sticking just the tip of my finger in, I pulled it away quickly. The water hissed and burned like liquid nitrogen or something.   

 

       “It’s deadly to most and if you collect and take it out it remains cold forever. Good to have the ice water for the fire levels of the dungeon, or hot summer days to chill drinks.” Lucius said as he carefully lowered a silver etched jug into the water. 

 

       Moving on from the river, our walk through the snow became harder. When the trees thinned, there was more illumination, but the snow would deepen, and we at times had to follow single file behind Clymiphae, walking in the wake she made in the snow. I had drunk another potion as well. I was spacing them out until I nearly felt frozen solid before drinking another one.

 

       Around the crest of a bend atop a small hill, we saw them. Placing her fingers to her lips, Clymiphae pointed. Down the hill walking slowly at a sedate pace were giant hairy beasts with tusks. Close to mammoths from Earth, but the hair they had was white, and their tusks were dark black voids of light. Their size was easily five times as high as me and six long.

 

       “They don’t attack unless provoked. It’s hard for us to even kill one. When they’re in a herd, almost impossible.” Branwen whispered next to me.  

 

       “Best leave them be.” Titus said.

 

       Watching the graceful slumbering pace of the massive creatures filled me with a sense of awe. As their bone-white hair swayed with their steps, they looked truly majestic. Then one stopped, knelt slightly, and took a massive crap. 

 

       “So much for majestic….” I said softly.

 

       “Their shit is worth 50 copper a gram.” Lucius said matter of factly.

 

       “Really?”

 

       “Oh yeah great fertilizer for plants, and it’s the best if your growing herbs that like the cold. Naturally adjust to optimum cold temperature for the plant. Plenty of adventurers come here and just follow them, collecting their shit. Once you find a herd your safe, none of the other creatures will attack when the Nix Phantus are close.”

 

       “Know this from personal experience?”

 

       “Hey what ever gets the job done, it’s easy coin.” Lucius said, laughing.

 

 

       Moving on along the top of the hill or view of the mountains obscured by the towering trees, our path led back down into the forest. Another potion later and a chittering hiss broke us from our cold meditative walk.

 

       “Fucking Sciucurs. Swords out.” Titus ordered. 

 

       Gliding down from the treetops, arms splayed with webbing between them, mouths open, rows of fanged teeth came, fucking squirrels. Dozens of the bastards drifted down, no bigger than ones from back on Earth. 

 

       Sending my shield flying around me, we began a sword dance of death. Spinning to avoid the smallmouths, I leapt in the air, bounding from the trees. Titus moved his sword in arching patterns of death. Clymiphae danced around two long swords in her hand as she cleaved the flying rodents in two. 

 

       My shield would fly out and strike the gliding creatures, arresting its movement in the air, allowing for my blade to follow and tear the animal in two. Pushing graceful dodge to its limit, I became a fast blur along with the rest of my party.

 

       [ You have killed: Sciucurs. 50XP. Times 16.] 

 

        With the last of the small monsters killed, I flipped to the far end of my field of combat. Landing with unnatural grace, I went to make a bow.

 

       Then the ground gave out from me, and I fell. As I was swallowed by the hole, the rush of icy water hit me like Truck kun from an anime. 

 

       My muscles locked up, and the air was ejected from my lungs. My sword hand gripped the edge of the opening. In a second, though, I lost all ability to control my body. My heat being swept from me like so many old cobwebs. Blackness filled my vision though I was still awake.

 

       “…got…him…”

 

       “Fuck…”

 

       “Tent…now.”

 

       “Stay…”

 

       “Off…”

 

       “Get…fire…”

 

       “Potion…”

 

       “Ring…bonded…”

 

       The voices swirled through my head, and I could not make anything out for sure. My mind was blank, and putting two thoughts together was close to impossible.,

 

       “Naked…with…”

 

       “Warm…”

 

       I think I was pulled from my onesie. I was warming up. Fuck so cold. So cold. Two hot bodies were pressed on both sides of me.

 

       “Get him to drink this.”

 

       A vile was pressed to my lips. I drank the liquid that was given to me. Seconds passed then I felt the rush of warmth flood my body. Arms held me from behind as I lay naked under blankets. I was trying to curl up on myself but was blocked by another holding my front. ‘Gods, I hope it’s not Titus or Lucius…’  I thought as I opened my eyes. My head-clearing.

 

       The soft strands of Clymiphae’s hair fell across my face. And the petite liquid fire behind me could only be Branwen. Warmth poured from them, and I felt much better. I actually felt a little too good as I began to poke Clymiphae. 

 

       “He’s better now.” Branwen said, getting out from behind me.

 

       “Thought we lost you for a second, Lord Eric.” Clymiphae whispered in my ear.

 

       Shivering all over, I said, “fuck I still feel cold.”

 

       “At least shrinkage won’t be a problem.” Clymiphae said with a chuckle.

 

       I sat up out of the embrace of my centaur heater and pooled one edge of a blanket around myself. Branwen had finished slipping into her leotard and was sitting cross-legged on the floor of the large teepee. The same white wood from earlier was burning in the center.

 

       “Should we step out for a moment give you two the tent?” Lucius smirked.

 

       “Umm…” looking at Clymiphae, I did not want to hurt her feelings, “Rain check?” 

 

       “Rain check, what’s that?” Titus asked.

 

       “Means maybe another time.”

 

       “Odd.” Titus said, settling Branwen between his legs.

 

       “Really thank you though.”

 

       “One of the best and worst landings I’ve seen.” Chariklia chuckled.

 

       “Yeah, really thought you nailed it, then whoosh.” Lucius added. 

 

        Clymiphae had wrapped her chest in her bindings once more. Her slightly sweaty hair fell around her shoulders and face. She smiled warmly at me when she saw me staring. 

 

       Clothes were scattered around the tent, bags and armor lay haphazardly on the furs that lined the floor. Still sitting close to Clymiphae, her legs folded, I moved between them and leaned back on her. Her arms were draped across my shoulders in a half hug. 

 

       “So, what now, gear back up and head out?” I asked, watching as the group found comfortable positions to lounge in. 

 

       “Nope frost storm hit just after I pulled you from the water. Will be a few hours till it clears.” Titus answered.

 

       “Frost storm?” 

 

       “Yeah, so cold it can kill even us if we’re caught unprepared in it.” Chariklia said. 

 

       “Fuck. Guess we wait.” I said as I leaned over to my onesie and pulled out my watch.

 

18:45

 

       Eyeing each of the group, Titus began, “So, Lord Eric are you enjoying your first time in a dungeon.”

 

       “Its breath taking and quiet intoxicating.” I chuckled. 

 

        “And where in the Empire are you from?”

 

       “A Small-Town past Laga’vast.” 

 

       “Laga’vast, you say.”

 

       “Yeah.” I said, knowing where this conversation was heading.

 

       “I’ll be straight with you Lord Eric. You don’t act like many nobles. You weren’t disgusted by Clymiphae, didn’t even hit her when you came to. The discomforts of the dungeon seem trivial to you. Then there’s that spell you used on the wolf, never seen that…” Titus said, trailing off as he raised an eyebrow at me. 

 

       “Well, I like…umm…the exotic. Plus, I treat my slaves well, better work from them that way. Spell that was just a little fire ball stretched out.” I lied lamely.

 

       “You joke with me, a legionary. Didn’t even scold me for touching you.” Lucius added his head in Chariklia’s lap. 

       

       “Even healing a common legion pack animal like Clymiphae.” Branwen said.

 

       “Well…can’t go losing all our stuff, can we.” 

 

       “Overly generous with the dungeon loot also.” Chariklia said, ticking another finger up in her hand. 

 

       “Well…”

 

       “Oh, stop it…He knows we know…Don’t you Lord Eric?” Clymiphae said from behind me. She gave me a reassuring squeeze.

 

       “Know what?” I asked.

 

       “You’re not a noble of the empire, not even a citizen. While I don’t think you’re a spy, as they are trained to blend in better. You also lack some basic knowledge everyone has about Forduna.” Titus said.

 

       “Well bad education, how’s a country town boy like me supposed to know all that.”

 

       “The citizenry school all free children go to?” Titus said, smirking.

 

       “Ummm…well shit…does this mean we try and kill each other to keep our secrets?” 

 

       “Though I think some of us might live, I don’t think you are as weak as your letting on.”

 

       “True.”

 

       “So, since we are asking for you to trust us it’s only fair, we trust you. Branwen and me are in love…” Titus said, watching for my reaction intently.

 

       “Told you, not even a flicker of revulsion.” Branwen said. 

 

       “What if I told you the same is true for me and Chariklia?” Lucius asked.

 

       “Ummm…good for you….”

 

       “It is one thing for a slave to love their master, it is encouraged by the God Roxclou’s laws. But for a master to love a slave its, well just not done.” Clymiphae said from behind me.

 

       “What if I told you, I wasn’t ready to tell you everything…but yes I am not from the Empire.”

 

       “That…Is good enough for now. Here take this.” Titus said, flipping me a coin a little smaller than my palm. “That is our guild token. You can use it to request us any time, if you register it with the guild when we get out it will show that we exclusively agreed to work with you. Frees us from having to take new mages in and lets you call us to serve any time.”

 

       “Thank you.” I said before I could stop myself.

 

       “Nobility does not thank their lesser, we are expected to serve.” Titus said. 

       

       The atmosphere in the tent wasn’t tense or peaceful; it was accepting that there was more for each of us to learn about the other. ‘Gods Clymiphae was so comfortable I just wanted to fall asleep right here…fuck it I’m taking a nap.’  I thought as I leaned farther back into the soft chest of Clymiphae. She seemed not to mind as she reclined with me.

 

       I don’t think I was the only one who took a nap. 

 

       

       Waking to the sound of Titus’s gruff voice saying, “Storms over better move.” Everyone got up from their spots and put back on their armor. Dressed once more, we left the tent. The others quickly unburied the snow from around it and rolled it, and the floor furs up. 

 

       The landscape had a fresh painting of white, making the clear artificial sky and moons glow brightly. Back in formation, we followed behind the wake of Clymiphae, trudging through knee-deep snow. 

 

       The trees cleared more, and the howl of wolves in the far distance faintly found their way to our group. The clearings became more frequent until we found ourselves along the edge of a massive lake. It was shaped closer to a teardrop than a circle or oval. The frigid waters were the same as those of the creek from earlier. 

 

       “You can fish in this spot, how the silver long fin survives the cold I don’t know, but it’s another delicacy. Limits 12 fish per party member. They sell for 20 silvers a kilo.” Lucius added, his knowledge of ways to make money from the dungeon become ever more valuable to me. 

 

       “I’ll have to buy a pole.”

 

       “Yeah, left mine back at our house. Pity, love the silver long fin, Chariklia makes the best spicy fish wraps.”

 

       Moving along the left bank of the lake, we followed unmarked paths to places herds of the Gelida Arietes were known to wonder. Drifts of snow and ice mix with sand as we moved from beach fronts and back into the woods. The trees here were not as massive as those deeper in the forest, but that meant they were more like ordinary-sized purple needled trees.

 

       Clymiphae stopped suddenly and lowered to the ground alongside a tree. She flashed her hand six times, 30 up ahead. We all huddled close as Titus spoke, “Lord Eric would you like to kill one or have us, do it? They are much tougher than they look.” He asked.

 

       “You go ahead, I’m too cold to think of a way to kill them.” 

 

       “Right. Branwen and Chariklia on me, wie’l each take one. We’ll move in once the herd scatters.”

 

       Lucius, Clymiphae, and me watched as the three took positions on the outside of the herd. They were deer, antelope, gazelles, or some weird mix. They stood as tall as a man and half again that in length. Their coat was a light frost blue, and waves of mist fell from their bodies like the smoke from dry ice, billowing out from their hoofs along the ground. Their antlers were more horns, some of the males, apparent from the horns on their head and the horn else-where on their bodies. Some had four to eight horns of varying lengths; they were clear as glass. The alpha of the group was twice as big as the rest.

 

       “Never kill the alpha. Sends the herd into a frenzy, then you have to kill the herd and the guardian if you kill two more of them.”

 

       “Got it, what’s coming off them?”

 

       “That’s one of their defenses. Stand next to it and it will freeze you solid in seconds. Predators cant bite them for long before they must let go or have their face shatter.”

 

       “Does it stay active after they’re dead?”

 

       “No, dissipates quickly once their killed.”

 

       “And the antlers? Horns?”

 

       “Ah those are worth a tidy sum of gold. Nobility have them cleaned and decorated into stirring sticks. They put them in drinks to keep them icy cold. Can also be added to an enchantment to activate the natural ice beam. Great for the lava levels of the dungeon. Though they usually only have one to three charges.”  

 

       Just then, the three launched their attacks. Branwen fired an arrow that tore through the air faster than a bullet. Chariklia launched a throwing ax that cracked the air as it broke the sound barrier. Titus threw a knife, but instead of it spinning, it flew straight faster than my eye could follow. 

 

       All three projectiles landed on their marks perfectly. They were embedding themselves in the heads of the Arietes. As the sound wave washed over the herd, they froze in place for a bare second, then bolted into the cover of the forest. 

 

       “Well, shit not half bad.” Lucius said as we walked over to Titus from our simi hidden position. 

 

       “Clean kills everyone, let’s go get Lord Eric his dinner.” Titus said with a smile.

 

       We all moved over to the dead bodies of the Arietes. I was surprised that from the power of the shots that their heads had not been blown off completely. The ax rested halfway into the skull of one, while Titus’s knife was stopped at the hilt. Only Branwen’s arrow seemed to pass through the whole skull from left to right.  

 

       Moving over the bodies, Titans Sheild removed the guts, setting the three livers aside and the hearts. They disposed of the rest. 

 

       “Right since you all killed them why don’t you take two.” I said.

 

       “Umm…Lord Eric we insist that you take two and the livers and hearts. One carcass with the horns would be at the bounds of generosity for a noble, even after saving their life.” Titus said while the others just smiled and shook their heads.

 

       “Also, might I suggest that you not party with anyone else, unless you are willing to be ten times crueler than you have been.” Titus said, raising his eyebrows to me as he spoke.

 

       “That probably be best wouldn’t it.”

 

       “Yes.” He finished as the rest of the work was completed. I stored the two full carcasses and organs in my ring. The others quartered the animal and slid it into a saddlebag on Clymiphae.

 

       “Right, the next time you want to go to the dungeon just write the time and meeting location on the back. We’ll be there.” Titus said.

 

       “How many can come in the dungeon at a time?”

 

       “As many as you want, a full legion if you wanted. Why?” 

 

       “I have to take the tests with my wives, figured they might like to join.” 

 

       “We would be honored to accompany your Exalted wives; may I know who the Esteemed Ladies are?” Titus said, sounding as polite as possible.

 

       “Ashley Wintershore, and Rachel Albillac.” 

 

       Wincing slightly, Titus said, “So you’re the lucky Exalted Lord who received the spot with the Exalted Lady Ashly Wintershore and Exalted Lady Rachel Albillac.” He finished putting extra emphasis on their titles. 

 

       “Yeah, hope they like the food.” I said. 

 

 

       “Well until next time Lord Eric.”

 

       “Sounds like a plan. Clymiphae, Lucius, Branwen and Chariklia thank you very much I can’t wait to work with you in the future.” I said as I moved and shook each of their hands but gave Clymiphae a hug instead. 

 

       “Leave dungeon now.” I said in what I hoped was a polite tone, knowing the dungeon was sentient after all changed how I would treat it. 

 

       In a flash, I was once more pulled through space and back into normal time.

       

       

       

 

more sex???
  • yes a little more Votes: 61 44.2%
  • more, more, please. Votes: 28 20.3%
  • nope were good. Votes: 49 35.5%
Total voters: 138
42