Chapter 21 A
1.8k 8 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Chapter 21 A.

 

       Waking in a pile was a new experience for me. Soft fur brushed my leg as it was draped over someone. My head had found a comfy spot on a smooth thigh, breathing in the delicate scent of…Elf? Strafa’s bushy tail was pressed firmly into me. The dark of the room was almost absolute, a soft orange glow just barely illuminating the door handle.

 

       Lifting myself slowly from the bed, I watched in the dark as my vacancy was filled in by sleeping forms. Just as so much sand merges into place. The soft spill of light fled the room once more as I closed the door. 

 

       “Good morning husband.” Rachel said, still with messy hair. Disheveled morning clothes hanging loosely as I poured steaming water into the cossa pot. 

 

       “Good morning wife. Rachel. How was your night?” 

 

       “Oh, Brie’s butt is wonderfully soft to sleep on, but Ashley was handsy all night…She is so excited.” A smile broke her teeth’s hold on her lip.

 

       “So, then it was you squirming by my hand then.” 

 

       “Probably…Cossa? It’s ready.”

 

       “Yes please.” I said. Exchanging a soft kiss before we took our mugs to the table. 

 

       Rachels spot still had all of her notes and work out from the night before. “What are you working on?”

 

       “This, oh just some binding enchantments for our dungeon run. The ones I had previously I had made from clay discs, and while the clay delivered more power, they were far too fragile and broke. So, now I am trying to transfer the same enchantments to silver discs. Though the stabilization formation mechanism is not working as I thought it would.”

 

Leaning over her chair, I said, “let me see here…” the designed circuitry for the mana was suitable, along with the effect indicator. I quickly placed the five skill points I had into enchanting and felt the journeyman level unlock. “It’s the scripting flow, I think…Its still conducting like it’s in clay not silver. Might try a smaller engraved pathway?” 

 

“What…Yes…I did everything else in a 0.6, but the linkages are in 0.8…with the conductive linkages bigger its destabilizing the flow…how did you?” Rachel said, pulling papers to her and taking notes quickly.

 

“It just popped out at me, when are you going to make them?”

 

“Humm…I am skipping my other classes today and going to the workshop.” She said, finishing her notes, “If you want me, we should be fast, I should get ready and go so I have enough time to finish.”

 

“Mmm…tempting but you should finish these, I would hate for them to be the difference between life and death.” 

 

“Your right…unfortunately.” Rachel said, bending over the table and arching her hips up as she collected her things. 

 

       “That’s not fair….”

 

       “Lucky the table will be here tomorrow morning then.” She said, sticking out her tongue slightly. “You know what class you’re going to?” she asked, heading to her room. 

 

       “Alchemy, figured I would look into that.”

 

       “Ugh…never had the knack for it, it’s a precise art. The lab?”

 

       “No just the lecture, might do the lab next week.”

 

       “I’m going to get ready….” Rachel said with another kiss, leaving me in the brightening apartment. 

 

       I went to my room and got ready. Coming out from the shower and having dressed, I found the cossa pot on the table in front of the sofa. Another mug securely in hand, I went on to the balcony and sat. light streamed across the statues, and Sippsie looked to have moved fractionally.’ 9 mithril after the house. That should be plenty to buy Sarah, but just in case… The dungeon, I could run it alone… That might draw to much attention though…’ I thought as I sipped my cossa.

 

       ‘I might be able to trust the titans’ shield group… Rachel and Ashley are definitely very liberal for the Empire… Can I show my power around them… Rachel suspects, I think…? The slave bindings, I need more information on that… become a popular hero, then us the fame to change the perception of slaves… The temples, and propaganda… I don’t think the Gods and Goddesses like what is going on… Why don’t they change it…”? 

 

       Faith came out onto the balcony quietly, breaking my focus for a second. Her short skirt bounced merrily as she filled my cup again. Without a word, she left me to sip and think.

 

       ‘Free lands, so slaves aren’t everywhere…The Montfort’s were odd, only one wife… Mesilla was fun… I wonder how Clymiphae is doing? Will have to see about them all, there is more to do here then try and drift by unnoticed.’

 

       Breakfast had been laid out on the table, and Ashley was already eating. I had been thinking for longer than I had realized. The Imperial Tribune was sitting next to my plate. The other girls were at their spots along with the counter stools.

 

       Sitting across from Ashley, I said, “Anything good this morning?” 

 

       “See for yourself we’re mentioned.” She said, trying to read, eat and talk all at once. 

 

       Picking up the paper and some food, I read. 

 

 

Imperial Tribune: September 15, 3212 T.E. Midness (Wednesday). 

 

Montfort estate sold!

     Reports were just received about the sale of the Montfort Estate to the newly Exalted Lord Eric Grayson. The mysterious Exalted Lord arrived at the college on Lastnuss last week in a splendid sailing vessel. Gaining entry to the college, he was paired with the noted Exalted ladies Ashley Wintershore and Rachel Albillac. Their acting husband has now acquired the fabled manor, and hopes of seeing more star galas are once more a prospect for the voracious nobles. We look forward to what the Exalted Lord Grayson will do with the estate and for his acquisition ball. May the splendors and blessings of Alleystra bless the Exalted Lord and ladies in their new home.   

     

     “Well, I guess my anonymity is out of the bag.”

 

       “It’s not so bad, every noble estate sale makes it into the social. There will be some interest in you, but it’s not like it was a scandal. So, there’s that.” Ashely said.

 

       “I suppose I will just have to take your word for it. But I am from another world?”

 

       “That’s not a crime, and if anything, being a world walker will afford you a certain amount of respect in the Empire. It was founded by them, and there have been others.”

 

       “It is bound to come out at some point. So excited for the dungeon?” 

 

       “No and yes. It should be fun with you and Rachel. We do need to train as well for the exams. What class are you going to today?” 

 

       “Alchemy, just the lecture.”

 

       “Oh, I can’t stand Alchemy… But I could come and distract you if you want?”

 

       “Enticing, but I should try and focus at least once on the class. To see if I am any good at it.” 

 

       “I suppose. See you at elven?”

 

       “Yeah…shit we should head out. Elevator?” 

 

       “Mmm… Sounds good.”

 

       Moving from the table, we linked arms in the hallway. Ridding first to Ashley’s floor, we quickly kissed before I got back in. The alchemy room was on the topmost level of the second layer of the tower. The hallway was emptier than I had seen before. The wide corridor had a few doors along with it. Heavy wood and brass glowed in the flicker of the mage lights. The pungent smell of herbs, spices, and earth hung in the air. 

 

       Reaching the classroom, the only door left open in the hallway; I took my seat. Unlike the other classes, this one was smaller and the seating closer to the central table. There were only about a dozen students, and of them, only one was a female. Their demeanor was more focused, and the distracted attitude I had seen in the other classes was nowhere to be seen.

 

       Paper shuffling over the back classroom door opening added to the still formality. An older man walked up to the central table. Long wisps of white hair hung around his shoulders, silhouetting the bald spot on the top of his head. He wore the throw-over black robe, brown and yellow patches staining his vest. Potbelly extended as he arranged his items on the table. 

 

       “To day class we will be going over mana density and affinity correlation, in respect to carrier base. First let us stand for the imperial devotion.” 

 

        “Eternally devoted we stand with the Emperor, forever the Exalted noble mages defend. Under Ack we obey, by Alleystra we thrive, by Sippsie we are pleased and by Roxclou we are served.” Everyone in the class said before taking our seats once more.

 

       “Very good everyone. Now, the most fundamental aspect of synthesis is diffusion. When the correlated elements mix from accepted materials the carrier base evenly distributes the free elements within the mixture. Sahndra what are the three most common carrier bases?”

 

       “Profesor, they would be… Mana neutralized clear water, Calciumborass cylindrite, and hepatic oil.”

 

       “Good Sahndra. These three common carrier bases are most important to alchemist due impart for their relationship with the law of two, with the other 42 carrier substrates. As noted by our former alchemist brethren, they are beast at stabilizing the drawn-out properties of materials but with that stabilization no amalgam will surpass the three-star alchemy standard. Their efficacy however allows for greater quantities to be produced. Why now we must ask ourselves does this matter so much with affinity?” 

 

       Most of the students were taking notes or looked to be reviewing notes from this same lector previously.

 

       “Alchemy is closely related to enchanting in fact. Much as the material used to carry an enchantment can affect the overall power of the sigil graphs. So, too does the carries substrate for the natural formation found within alchemical ingredients. Through their own internal process, discovered by the alchemist Higgs, mana is stabilized into reactionary enchantment forms. When the mana interacts with carrier, it allows for the natural architecture of the mana form to grow, thus infusing the amalgamation. Why James is alchemy more art than science?”

 

       “Easy, because no to ingredients however grown or collected are the same. So, each potion, pill or powder must be improvised to some degree.”

 

       “Yes, which is why tracing the affinity aspect of the ingredients is paramount. As a fire weed though will have common effects the strength of those effects could vary wildly between the two. Therefore, diffusion surface areas are critical, for a more stable transition of properties smaller over all surface areas must be used, while greater surface areas will cause more complete integration, the speed of the reaction can run away from the alchemist quickly if not careful.”

 

       The potbelly teacher went onto display the different efficacy of the solutions. Showing how herbs, natural stones, and even beast parts could react widely from the three carrier bases. The water was self-evident, though it did shimmer like light was reflecting off from it. Calciumborass cylindrite was liquid-like chalk, and the hepatic oil was a viscous liquid.    

 

       He proceeded to demonstrate making what I would know as a week acid, but he called flame water. The apparent difference in strength came from the carrier base. When the flame water was made with fire-infused mana water, the strengths of the mixture were nearly triple that of the clear mana water. However, the quantities were about the same ratio, with the clear mana water giving three times the volume. 

 

       The other two had much the same effect, though the more common bases did allow for a longer shelf life of the mixtures. 

 

       “For those of you going to the lab next, I will be having you make the same thing I just demonstrated. Are there any questions?”

 

       After a few seconds of silence, he said, “Very well, it was good of you to join us Exalted lord Grayson, I hope to see you in my class regularly. Class dismissed.”

 

       Slightly surprised at the direct observation, I should not have been surprised. I knew the classes tracked the attendance of students somehow, and the teacher must get an update. As the class was so small, a new face quickly stood out. 

 

       Walking to the front of the class, I was joined by the only woman in the class. “Thank you, professor?”

 

       “Exalted lord Bitumen Hammond, are you going to the lab?”

 

       “No, I have other engagements. But I will attend next week.”

 

       “Understandable. This is Exalted Lady Sandra, one of the most promising Alcamy students in quite some time.”

 

       “A pleasure Lord Grayson, you seemed intently focused on the lecture.”

 

       “It was fascinating. As I am interested in enchanting as well, but the correlations are striking.”

 

       “Yes, it is a fun topic of research, Lady Rachel is your acting wife. She is quite the gifted enchanter; we work in the shop together sometimes.”

 

       “I will tell her you said hello then. I am off to the dungeon; I hope to see you soon.”

 

       “How exciting, good luck.” Sandra said as I walked out the door.

 

       Entering the apartment once more, I found everyone in the midst of getting ready. Armor and cloths hung everywhere, and everyone was in a half state of dress. “Before I forget I got you these.” I said, pulling the enchanted panties from my ring.

 

       Placing them on the counter, Sasha, Milly, Brie, and Allie came over and went through them. Taking the ones that they most like, all though there was only a tiny difference between them. 

 

       “Thank you so much Master!” echoed from each of the girls as they took of what they had been wearing and changed into the proffered items. Right in front of me, living in this new world had its joys.

 

       Ashley came from her room, sitting on the sofa, “So what do you think of my armor?” she said. It could be generously called armor, though looking like it would do the job of protection, the armor gave off more of a schoolgirl vibe. Segmented breastplate that hugged her form fell to an armored skirt. The metal shone in happy oranges and pinks, and the thigh-high stockings under her grieves dissuaded any notion of the outfit not being sexy as well.

 

       “Looks wonderful, a bit distracting if I am being honest.”

 

       “As long as it is just a bit, want to give you something to look at during the boring trudge through the snow to keep you warm.”

 

       “Won’t you get cold?”

 

       Wiggling one of her fingers, she said, “Enchanted body temperature regulation ring.” 

 

       “I see.” I said as Rachel came through the apartment door. 

 

       “Finished them, I’ll be ready in a second.” She said, running off to her room. 

 

       

       “Milly, I wanted to ask Chariklia about armor for you, since you’re similar.” I told the plainly dressed boviness as I put my armor on. 

 

       When the seven of us were fully dressed, we head to one of the larger elevators. Food, water, and other items were packed away in rings or smaller spatial bags. Silent, nervous energy buzzed around the group as we headed to the lower floor of the college. 

        

 

Thank you to everyone out there reading.

Supporters you’re awesome.

 

Might not make a post Saturday, as I want to get the dungeon run right and it is going to be longer.

 

Thank you everyone.

 

 

47