[3] The Mission _ part 2
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is already dawn and the mist begins to thicken. It is no longer possible to see the moon but the effect of its light gives a whitish and ghostly appearance to the surrounding fog.

Leaving the Broken Horn behind they zigzag through some alleys until they finally reach a dark alley, poorly lit by a lantern on the opposite corner from where Aerlin and Eiren arrive. The alley is wide and the buildings are tall, the heterogeneous architecture of the buildings denotes a dingy and untidy appearance, houses of two to three floors look out as if they were trying to swallow the cobblestone path.

Rounding the corner of the intersection where the lantern is located, three black silhouettes appear.

'They are,' Aerlin says, waving at Eiren. 'You stay a few meters behind me. Keep your eyes on the others. Use your training.'

Eiren looks at her in confusion and then notice in the dark alley spaces and high ceilings. He first believes that they are shadows with strange shapes due to the fire of the lantern that illuminates the small street and the poor visibility of the mist. Then he realizes that they are people, delicately hidden in the corners. Some are posted on ceilings behind fireplaces and others on thick window lintels.

'Who are they?' Eiren whispers, walking slowly and putting his hand on the pommel of his short sword.

'They are the Brotherhood of Grilmaton. On the other side of the mountain. Like our Enclave but worse. Keep your eyes open Eiren.'

Of the three figures, one begins to move forward, positioning himself in the center of the alley. The other two remain detained.

It is not possible to see another part of their body since they are all covered by thick black layers. The central figure approaches the couple in a slow procession.

'Emissaries of the Enclave. Greetings,' he says in a deep, scratchy voice the hooded man. The low light allows only the underside of an aging face to be seen. 'We are Grilmaton. My name is Elias Chadweck.'

'Greetings Elias. We are the emissaries of the Enclave. My name is Aerlin Destemi. We have been summoned here to coordinate mutual support between our organizations,' Aerlin says with impressive assurance and calm. 'We come to honor the ancient covenant of cooperation. Elias Chadweck. Who is the target?'

'Guruk the Violent,' Elias comments slowly emphasizing the last word.

The emissary shows a bony hand with a clenched fist over his cloak. It is filled with rings and a pair of bracelets covered with pebbles with sparkling reflections embedded in them.

'You must guide us to him and locate his burrow,' says the emissary, opening his fist.

Aerlin walks over and stands a couple of steps in front of the open hand. Inside it is a small sealed tube made of white leather.

After a long silence, the emissary pretends to pass the object to Aerlin.

Eiren feels that the assasin Aerlin is uncomfortable. He has heard stories about Guruk and it is understood that he is a powerful user of magic and that he commands the unified tribes of the Gray Mountain goblins. There are generous rewards for bringing the goblin chieftain alive or dead at the hands of the empire.

'We can't get too close to their shamans,' Aerlin says apprehensively. 'I am responsible for my people and the representative of the Enclave, I will not subject any of my family members to such harm.'

Elias lifts his hood with his skinny hands to reveal his wrinkled face. He is bald and with a series of tribal tattoos on the sides of his forehead and nape. His look is evil. Eiren senses something dark about the old man and finds it difficult to look him in the eye.

At that moment the dark silhouettes camouflaged around them recede and several disappear.

'Don't be afraid of Aerlin. I just need you to find Guruk. For the same reason one of my men must accompany you on your way. We will take care of Guruk later.' Says Elias.

Aerlin walks up to the hooded man and receives the white tube. He opens it and inspects its contents. Fine and tiny pearls and diamonds fall into the woman's palm.

After a few seconds of handling them he puts them back in the leather tube.

'One of my agents will meet you at dawn on the bridge north of town.' Elias says evenly. 'As tradition dictates, the rest will be handed over when we have secure access to Guruk.'

With a slight nod from Aerlin, the old man and his two companions begin to back away, then lose themselves in the thick mist of the alley. Eiren observes the ability of the other figures to disappear without a trace, no kind of noise is felt in their spectral movements. The woman turns around.

'Eiren, you must begin the mission. I must urgently speak with the matriarch and the Enclave council of elders, ' Aerlin says hurriedly.'I'll catch up with you as soon as I free myself.'

'What's going on? Is there a problem Aerlin?' The man asks, lifting part of his hood to look directly into the woman's brown eyes.

'Yes, and for the same reason I need you to trust. I know you are just beginning to do important work for the Enclave. I have been told that you are an excellent explorer. It will be very useful from now on.' Aerlin says with sad eyes as he walks over and faces him face to face.

Then the woman gives him a hug for several seconds. Eiren feels the warmth of her, despite how pleasant she feels the contact ends abruptly when Aerlin walks away from her. Then she stops at the fifth down the road from which they originally came.

'Finds Guruk. !See you soon!' Aerlin comments as she raises her right hand and shakes it goodbye.

Eiren is stunned in the middle of the alley. They have been very strange hours. Different from what he is used to experiencing in his day to day in charge of the teachings and works of the Enclave. Despite the fact that he has an immense desire to disappear and take refuge in the forest, he has a commitment to fulfill. The enclave needs him and it is his first great mission. He gives himself the courage to walk to the Broken Horn where he awaits a room and his travel belongings.


New things are coming for Eiren, stay tuned!

 

 

 

 

 

0