Chapter 11: An invitation from the Church
413 8 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Um, yeah sorry for the inconsistency in length, I just felt like this should be one chapter, you know?

It's been a few weeks since I got access to the locked section of the library, and we've realized the more we read of the divine language, the more we remember about it. Our telepathic conversation just naturally flows into the divine language now, and Em has had to stop me from speaking it out loud, as that has certain implications. We've manage to realize if we speak divine words and imbue them with mana, our voice gives has an incredibly high feel of authority, like we're ordering someone to do what we say. It doesn't work on people with strong wills or who is protecting themselves from pure mana based attacks, but other people sort of do what we say. It's not really like we're mind controlling them, it's more a very strong suggestion that they want to follow, or like an order from a commanding officer. Em has imbued mana into the common tongue to break up a couple of fights, and that has worked too, albeit a lot less efficient.

We've helped the headmistress upgrade a few of the defensive capabilities of the enchantments, and I've realized that enchantment based items doesn't necessarily have to be imbued with an elemental enchantment. As long as you enchant the right divine words and you understand the process and what it does, you can enchant almost any effect into the item, which has also caused us to believe you can achieve the same non-elemental magical effects with using just the divine language, without items. So far we've noticed that this is not something the mortals of this world either doesn't know, or has the capabilities to do.

Our roles as presidents hasn't actually been as annoying as we first thought, even though I'm the "Student Council President", there's actually no student council. Me and Em sort of are just authority figures and mouthpieces of the students, so we sit in on the academy council meetings, where they discuss policies for the academy, introduction of new magic theories, etc. Generally the academy doesn't want students to involve themselves into other student's arguments or physical/magical fights, and the academy rather want them to notify a teacher. That doesn't apply to me and Em, as we're sort of expected to break up these fights and report it to the staff, where Em discusses appropriate punishment with the staff, or enforce a duel upon the parties involved to solve the issue.

Em has also been discussing a lot back and forth with father. I don't know all the details, but she updates me on the most important part. The Ferdinand boy reacted as we expected, and went straight to his father. Our spies around their estate didn't pick up on the conversation, but based on the reactions of the duke and how he's acted, we are almost certain he's the culprit behind the poison incident. We still don't know his motive, and we can't arrest him because we don't have evidence. Such mortal conundrums, we know he's guilty, our father is the Emperor, but apparently we need just cause as to not upset the other nobles and the court. Ridiculous.

Sylvie is still acting like that discussion never happened, and both me and Em are keeping both her, Visa and the rest of the Hillroy's under secret investigation, but so far they're, perfect. In my opinion a bit too perfect, but they are as of now not implicated in the Ferdinand plot.

"Atla, I just finished a discussion with the headmistress, and she gave me a letter from the church, they want to invite us to meet the leader of the church. What do you want to do?"

"Mother's church?" Em gives me a mental nod. "Hmm, let her know we accept, I haven't had much interest in the church but they can be a big help if they actually follow mother. If not, well we'll see."

Around half an hour later Em enters the room, and let's me know there's already set up a meeting in two days. Apparently the church and the headmistress has a communication artifact. Em snuggles up to me and I put away my book to embrace her, slowly stroking her hair until she starts purring. Sometimes I truly wonder if she was the Goddess of Kitties in our "past" lives.

She closes her eyes for a few moments and melts into my embrace with a blissful expression, as she whispers into my ear. "Atla, why do you think they invited us, and why now?"

"I don't know Em, but I don't want to let this go. This can be a big help to regaining our divinity."

Nothing more is said between us that evening, and the next two days go by uneventfully.


"I'm assuming when you're back you'll direct the teleport straight into your own room? I know you've been fiddling around with your private teleportation room Atlantica."

The headmistress is seeing us off, for reasons unknown, well, reasons unproven. Her expression is reproachful but her tone is anything but, she's obviously a bit excited about the fact that I can divert and change how the teleportation streams work, as it opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

"Most likely yes, I don't know if we're coming back today or not. May you let the teachers know in case we're not back by the morning? Don't worry about anything happening, we have undercover guards if there are too many enemies for ourselves to handle."

The headmistress gives us a nod, and we step onto the platform and teleport directly to the church in the capital of our empire.

After the normal glow we're inside a room the size of the one we just left, around the size of a middle-nobility bedroom. The floors are covered in glossy obsidian coloured tiles, and the walls are made of some sort of white stone with a silvery sheen. 

"Welcome Princess Atlantica and Princess Ember, I'm here to lead you directly to her Holiness."

At the entrance to the room stands what I can assume to be a priestess. Her hair is flowing freely without any headgear, and she has a black robe with sleeves running just across her elbow, and the middle of her shins. The colour is the same obsidian black as the tiles, with silver embroidery and a large half moon embroidered across the chest.

We give her a nod and follow her. The rest of the church is built in the same manner as the room, giving it a calm and serene feeling, atleast to us that is. A few minutes later and we happen upon a small garden in the middle of the building. There's no roof above it, and neither are there any benches in it. There's only flowers, grass and a T shaped cobblestone path leading from the two entrances into the garden, and up to a statue. I give my sister a nudge and we stop and stare at the statue.

"Atla, is that?"

"It is Em, it's her appearance. I didn't remember it until now, but it's definitely her."

Without paying attention to our guide, the both of us makes our way unto the cobblestone path and towards the statue. Neither of us paying attention to the stares from the people surrounding us. In front of the statue we both go down on one knee, lower our heads, and speak in unison.

[Hello, Mother.]

We both close our eyes as a serene calm spreads through our bodies, this may only be a medium, but we're certain she heard us and knows it's her daughters speaking to her. We don't know where she is or what she's doing, but she reacted to us speaking in the divine tongue. As we open our eyes the statue has taken upon a shimmering silver glow, bathing us in moonlight, despite it being early morning.

"Ah. I almost didn't want to believe it, but our Goddess truly delivered on her word."

We both stand up and turn around to see a woman in her early thirties looking at us. She is wearing almost the same outfit as the other priest and priestesses around us, but her robe is white instead of black, and her moon emblem is a full moon, not a half moon.

"Princess Atlantica and Princess Ember I assume?"

"Yes."

"Ah, marvelous. My name is Elem, and I'm the so called "leader" of our Goddess' church. A guide for our faith, if you will. Now I thank you both for accepting my invitation, and I hope we can go to my office to continue our discussion."

We both give her a nod, but neither of us truly trusts her. She spoke as if she's been talking to our mother, and until that is proven correct or incorrect, we will not give her an ounce of trust.

It takes us another 10 minutes until we've arrived at her office. Outside stands two guards in black full-plate armour, with the same colour scheme as the priests and priestesses around we've seen. We enter her office and it's, normal. It looks the same as the teleportation room we arrived in, except it's filled with furniture. On the left size there's a small fireplace and a couch and two cushioned seats, with a small tea table in the middle. In front of the door is a desk and a chair, and the walls are filled with bookshelves.

Standing on the same places as the guards outside are two equally equipped guards, but with the same white coloured armour as the Holiness' robe.

"Please, take a seat and tea will be served shortly." We walk over and sit down on the couch with our backs to the wall, giving us a full overview of the room. Her Holiness sits on one of the seats across the table, with her guards standing behind her on her left and right.

"I assume you have a lot of questions as to why you're here, and they will be answered shortly, but first, please read this."

She gives us a sealed scroll, and as we open it there are only two words on it.

"Em, burn this scroll immediately."

My sister lights the scroll aflame and in under a second it's ashes lay on the table before us as we glare at the woman across us.

"How dare you!" The guards draw their weapons and start walking for us. I slowly stand up and stare at them.

[Kneel!]

Both guards drops their weapons and goes down on their knees while glaring at us. I just gave them an order in the divine tongue imbued with divinity, there are only a few mortals who can resist.

"Atla, calm down."

My rage slowly calms down, and I notice the woman is still sitting there without and ounce of worry on her face, and neither did she feel the order to kneel. She looks at both guards, and tells them to leave, which they do begrudgedly. 

"I'm truly sorry that happened, they assumed you both were dangerous to my life, and while they are usually calm both of you exude an aura of authority, which made them lose their normal calm. I'll have them both educated never to act like that again. Now then, I assume by your reactions that both of you know what was written on that scroll?"

"Yes. We do. I have no idea how you got your hands on that, but you better have a good answer."

"I don't know if the reason is good enough for you both, but I hope my explanation will suffice to prove my loyalty. A few nights ago I had a dream, and what I assume to be a revelation. This is my first since I took up my position, but there have been others before me who claim to have had the same dreams. In my dream I saw three floating islands. The right one was blue, the left was red, and the middle, which I was standing on was black. After I had just gotten my bearings, a voice spoke in my head, but not in common tongue, no I assume it to be the divine tongue, as I recognized a couple of words. I was given an ability, and the voice said: 'My daughters are walking upon the world you recide, they are sent there by me, and I hope you will help them to the best of your abilities.' With that I had two runes imprinted into my head, and I wrote them down onto that scroll as I was instructed to give it to the two of you."

I look towards my sister, we don't even need to talk, we both got another few pieces of our memory from reading the scroll.

"Do you know what was written on that scroll?"

Elem shakes her head. "No, I do know it was written in the Divine Language, as the ability I was given gave me fluency in speaking, reading and writing, ofcourse there was implemented a limitation disallowing the usage against people out of maliciousness, and neither can I imbue divinity, as I assume you did earlier, seeing as I am a mortal."

"You are right on both accounts. Yes it was written in the Divine Language, but one that predates the one we know, they are both the same but also not, as both have the same functions, but only a few know how to speak it. That scroll contained our divine names, which is not something you should know. Neither should you know of the place you spoke of in your dream. While we do believe you are speaking the truth, I want you to give us an oath."

Elem looks at me with surprise, but quickly composes herself and gives me a nod.

[I, Elem, swear that I have spoken the truth, and that I am wholly faithful to the teachings of the Moon Goddess of Creation, aswell as her daughters, the Goddess of Water and the Goddess of Fire.]

Elem shines in a mix of blue mana and silvery glow, and it slowly recedes.

"Very well, we accept your oath, as you already know who we are."

For the first time Elem stands up and kneels before us.

"You are the first mortal in this realm to know who we are. We will accept your help, but we demand you never speak of our write our names ever again, and we hope you can keep our identities hidden unless it's of paramount importance."

"Yes, my Goddesses."

She gets up and sits back down, as there's a knock on the door. She invites them in and the priestess who met us in the room serves us tea, before leaving.

"May I ask, why are the two of you here? From what my Goddess said, you are not here for pleasure, right?"

I look at my sister, before we nod in unison.

"Silence, void, emptiness. Leave no sound. [Sound Isolation]"

"Very well."

So I am terrible at this sort of thing. For future reference, all words spoken inside [] are divine words. If they are not in bold, they are normal words or words imbued by mana, but if they are bold they are laden with divinity. This does not account for spells, so if there is a chant followed up by [Bold Words], they are simply divine words with mana in a spell. I'll try to do Itallic Bold if our MC's use divinity in their spells. If anyone has a better idea to differentiate and make it...less confusing, please let me know.

19