Ch.49 The Wild Champion
63 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The guards on the new ship were less courteous than the ones on the Conglomerate ship. They led John through many passages until they finally reached a door. Why had Oor bought his contract? He would soon get his answer. There was no need to overthink this.

“This is your room,” said the guard. “Leave your things inside and then follow us.” The guards watched as John unpacked and carefully set aside Sher Khan’s cage. One of them coughed, signaling John to hurry up. He followed them to another room. “Go inside. You will be summoned soon. Someone will come to get you. Don’t wander about outside.”

John walked into the room and saw Sor Al, Relar and Sariel sitting within, discussing something with great emotion.

“Jehun,” Relar was the first one to notice him. “I can’t believe it’s you.” He ran forward and hugged John. Sariel followed and did the same.

Sor Al smiled at him, “We all watched the Conglomerate’s game show. You handled yourself well.”

“Karamen...He...”

“His dark side got the better of him.” John couldn’t blame Karamen. People got desperate when their survival was at stake. “Don’t beat yourself over what happened,” Sor Al gestured for John to sit. “Jehun, why did you join the war? I told you to stay on Kumra.”

“When I heard no news from you I grew restless. I had to find out what happened to you, and joining the war seemed like the best way of hearing news. I wouldn’t have been captured if Alutien had not kicked me out of the blade dancer.”

“You were betrayed?”

“Yes,” John said darkly.

“Alutien. I will remember that name. I will make him wish he was never born,” Sor Al’s face was twisted in rage for a moment, but she quickly calmed down.

“Where is Lianel?” It seemed odd to see Sor Al without her faithful shadow following her around.

“She is safe. Jehun, do you know why you’re here?”

John shook his head. “The Conglomerate people told me that my contract was sold. I was to be taken to the Hatishi Arena. Am I supposed to fight there? Are they going to make me a slave again?” He had already experienced life as a mining slave. He did not care for it at all.

“They can’t make you a slave, but who knows what that woman will do. She is unpredictable.”

“Who?”

“The Empress of Oor. It was she who personally bought your contract. She often asked me about you during the latter stages of the Game. Your fame has grown far and wide. Relar even found a Wild Child fan club on the root way.”

“Oor is the one who sold me to the Conglomerate in the first place,” said John. “Why does she want me back?”

“Who knows.”

“Are you her prisoners as well?”

Sor Al sighed, “she prefers to call us guests. She is waiting for the Twelve Stars to ransom us, but her asking price is too high.”

“Don’t you mean Eleven Stars?” a voice came from the doorway. A woman walked in, her red hair curling to her neck. She wore a purple dress. Her face was flawless but she couldn’t be called beautiful. Her expression was too detached, as though she was viewing everything from far away, which gave her a vacant look. She was flanked by two fifteen feet tall bodyguards dressed in heavy red and black armor. They looked more like mini mechas than humans. They held big guns which would not look out of place on a corvette. They wore velo swords at their waists. The only thing still human about them was their eyes. If they had their helms on John would have never guessed they were living beings.

“I see you’re admiring my Death Walkers,” the Empress of Oor said to John. “They have been genetically engineered to be the perfect soldiers and bodyguards.”

“It was them who took over the command center and won the battle of Aroth,” said Sor Al. “They are indeed marvelous, but surely you did not come here to show off your Guard?”

“Sor Al, always straight to the point,” the Empress signaled for her guards to stay behind and took a seat at the table next to John. “Wild Child, I was impressed by your feats both during your time with the elves, but especially during the Game. You seem blessed by the Bright Ones, able to undergo their trials without harm. The Conglomerate volunteers who entered that tower after your group either suffered from madness or never came out again. They were all elite soldiers. No doubt the rest of your group is being probed by the Conglomerate as we speak.”

That was strange, thought John. The trials could indeed drive people mad but these elite soldiers would be far stronger in will and acuity than John. They should have passed the trials without a problem. Maybe the old Bright One exile had marked him during his infancy with something that made the artifact spirit of the Tower take it easy on his group.

“I do not know why either, your err...”

“Majesty,” muttered Relar.

“Majesty. Will my friends be okay?”

“Why would the Conglomerate harm them? Don’t worry. The Conglomerate play by the rules of the Game. Your friends will be safe.”

John had been imagining scenes of human experimentation. It felt good to know that they were fine. “If you don’t mind me asking, your majesty, why did you buy my contract? What do you want me to do?”

“I first want you to be my champion in the Arena. If you succeed and do not disgrace my colors, then you will be given a position in my empire.”

“And what if I do not succeed?”

“Then you die. The Arena does not tolerate failure. The fights are usually to the death.”

“And what if I refuse?”

“Then I kill you here and now. I do not tolerate disobedience.”

“You cannot do this,” Sor Al stood up and banged the table with her fists. “He is my apprentice. I will buy his contract from you for whatever price you ask.”

“He is a human, Sor Al. He cannot take an elf as a master. Besides, you cannot pay the price I ask. Wild Child interests me. Nothing you offer me can do the same.”

“I can give you a star stone.”

“A star stone,” the Empress laughed. “You have become rich.”

“It’s not mine. I know someone who will lend it to me.”

“No Sor Al, not even for a star stone. But I will take a star stone as your ransom.”

“Ha!” Sor Al looked amused.

John interrupted, “I am willing to serve you for ten years on two conditions.”

“You are in no position to bargain with me,” the Empress waved her hand and one of her guards picked John up by the scruff of his neck leaving him dangling in the air. “Your life is already mine.”

“Would you rather have a willing servant or an unwilling one?”

“Fine,” the Empress scowled and waved her hand. The guard put John back on the ground. “What are your conditions?”

“Let the elves go, all those you captured during the war, including Sor Al, Relar and Sariel.”

“What’s your second condition?”

“That you never order me to go against the elves.”

The Empress thought for a while. “Very well, I agree to your terms. I have gotten what I wanted out of the war anyway. Apart from Sor Al, the others do not interest me. She will stay here for five years as ambassador.” She said to Sor Al, “I am sure your Eleven Stars will agree to it.”

“It will always be the Twelve Stars no matter how many systems you conquer,” said Sor Al. “Jehun, are you sure about this?”

“What choice do we have?”

“There is always another way.”

“This way seems the easiest.”

Sor Al bit her lip as she pondered. “Very well then. I agree to be the Elven ambassador to Oor.”

“Good,” the Empress clapped her hands. “Now it’s time to prepare you for the Arena, my wild champion.”

3