Chapter 11: The Problematic Bunch
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After doing some fighting and knowing each other better, the team is finally ready to move inside. But for the ones curious about it, here is a short summary.

 

Marco knocked me out and got his revenge. Stephania tried her chance against Steinar, which resulted in a draw that cost Steinar his right arm, no worries, he will grow it back in two hours. Yin decided to stay out of the battle, and Olie beat both Ivan and Lucas so hard that it was almost humiliating, but I suppose it would be better for them to know her power in a more friendly environment.

 

And now we are passing through the main gate of Horizon, but information first. Horizon has massive stone walls (twenty-five meters high) surrounding it, and the gate we are passing through has size according to that and gives an epic vibe. Giant copper bells as old as three hundred years old are ringing as a horde of students flows inside.

 

I don't know who is responsible for such a greeting, but damn they need a raise.

 

                                                                                                                  *****

 

A massive conference hall built right middle of the Horizon is getting filled with students from all angles. Well, that happened ten minutes ago, and we missed it. And I am not even talking about the feeling of an entire crowd watching a half-beaten group entering the middle of it.

 

I couldn't say we left a good impression, but I am not interested in the general student population anyways. They can think about whatever they want.

 

A cough echoed through the sound systems. It is the school's headmistress trying to take attention away from us. "We have late comers every year. For some, our school's prestige does not matter much, so keep your ears on me.

 

Cold, but we deserved it.

 

Something pocked my back. It is one of Olie's tentacles. I suppose she indicates us to move faster. Hopefully, this won't cause another social trauma to her.

 

"Found seats there," Stephania whispered. "Better move fast."

 

We all agreed and moved towards the seats she pointed out. These are probably the ones furthest from the stage. We will be away from people and teachers' eyes. How nice.

 

"Psst." Something poked me.

 

It is Steinar.

 

"So, I didn't ask before, but how did you even manage to make us enter this school anyways? Isn't Horizon one of the hardest to enter? For example, my battle score is decent enough, but I failed a little on the paper test, and I wouldn't believe in thousand years for my points to be enough."

 

"I know more than enough strings to pull, but if you want to know, we already missed important parts of the entrance ceremony so listen." I cleared my throat. "Me, Lucas, Stephania, and Olivia already filled the requirements, and for you, I called your clan leader and took his recommendation. Next is Marco. He is a vigilante and showed enough skills to be qualified. Lastly, Yin and Ivan. Ivan is my father's recommendation, and Yin, well, no school will say no to someone with such skills."

 

Steinar began stroking his chin. "So, half of us didn't even require to take the test to enter, weird."

 

"Believe me. It is not. I bet there are more than a hundred kids in this school who entered through similar ways."

 

"But why."

 

"Well, the general entrance test is just the first filter. If a school founds out a kid with special abilities or recommendations, they take them."

 

"Got the framework of it, I suppose."

 

"Don't worry, big guy, you entered the school, and that's it. We gotta think forward, now listen to the rest of the talk."

 

"Dear students, I cannot describe how happy I am to see so many bright futures collected in this single place. All of you are the future of our world and protectors of humanity in training. Today, we are accepting newcomers to our school, our first graders, and between you, I invite a special kid to make a speech." Head misteress moved away from the podium, and behind the stage, a girl moved forward. A girl I know, Alice.

 

"Miss Alice showed a record-breaking performance both on paper and physical examinations. I am honored to have her in our school."

 

Alice moved towards the podium and grabbed the microphone. I suppose she will give a generic speech about how happy she is, and I don't know. Not important.

 

                                                                                                                      *****

 

The entrance ceremony finished, and we managed to slip out quite fast. Our group is still a little alien to each other, so we need more time to melt the ice, and what is better than the first day for this? We are free to walk through the complex. Of course, after we finish unloading our items.

 

"So, what now." The question came from Marco.

 

"We are free till the next day, so I thought we could use this free time to learn more about each other since we will act as a team from now on." Oh, I almost forgot one thing. "But first, we must find our accommodation."

 

"Wait. Won't we stay in the dormitories?" Lucas asked.

 

"No, the rules are a little different here. If you have a team and designated the building as your association headquarters, you stay there instead of dormitories. One example is the Crusaders, they have a small castle-shaped dormitory a little away from here, where all students from them live, and we also have our place. I made some phone calls and set up a house with enough space for the team." I need extra space to store and work on my machines.

 

"More details, please." I see. Lucas isn't satisfied with my answers.

 

"Oh, okay. Sometimes UDC deploys students to missions, and my whole point of making this team is that. So we require extra space and a place to use as the base of operations."

 

"Oh, I remember you telling me that. Whole black ops and cleaning the scum of the earth for good thingie, but how we get those jobs?"

 

"Lucas, my friend, leave that to me, actually, to my father. He will work as our information breaker using his connections. And look at our team. We are perfect for it! I carefully picked people fitting for a team like ours."

He nodded his head. I am glad he finally understood me.

 

"So, one question for me then." It is Olie. I wonder what she will ask. "What are our roles in that team? You forgot to give some important points, dear brother?"

 

"Oh, we can talk about that later. Now, I want to treat every one of you to a coffee at the school's shopping district. Yes, this school has an entire mall run by robots and students. It is nice, isn't-

 

"You!"

 

I heard an annoying but familiar voice coming from my behind. I wonder where I know it. Oh yes, the girl I beat at the entrance exam, Alice. "Isn't this the famous record breaker? I was waiting to see you at one point, but not this early."

 

"Tell that to me, cheater! You destroyed my already low expectations by using dirty tricks in a battle, and you still have to show yourself in this school?" She pulled her sword from its sheet. That is no good news, especially when Olie is near.

 

As I expected, several tentacles pierced the ground, and a black mist began flowing out. I am not sure who will win if I let those two battle maniacs, but I know it won't end well for everyone else.

 

Thankfully, Lucas might think the same and jumped forward to discuss. "Look, missis Alice, I know you are angry with our friend here, which I accept, he can be so arrogant even if I want to punch him from time to time, but you are not acting properly for a student of your level. I doubt if anyone wants to see honor students of first years attacking some random people."

 

Way to talk, my one-handed friend! Hit her with logic. She needs it.

 

"Well." Alice placed her sword back on its sheet. "Maybe you are right. I should do this more properly. You," She pointed at me. "Come to arena number third tomorrow, and bring many robots as you want. I will beat you this time."

 

"Tomorrow? Well, I am sort of busy, and why do you want to battle with me anyways? Or you can't get enough of me, but you are too shy to admit it?"

 

Alice kicked the ground with anger, and it was quite a kick. I felt the shock wave, but she quickly turned back to normal. "Yes, you are right, my one-handed friend, this imbecile is not worth the trouble, but I am available for a rematch. Anytime you want." And now she is moving away, how good.

 

"Now that is cleared, who wants something to eat next to their coffee."

0