Chapter 12: Melting The Ice With Tricks
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Horizon. One of the best military schools around the globe and perhaps the most prestigious one. It has everything a student might need, from aerial training to underwater, they have some simulation grounds for all kinds of abilities, but that's just the training part.

 

UDC designed this school to keep students inside unless they are out for a mission, so it has its ecosystem, from farming grounds and gardens for fresh food (which, if a student wants, can volunteer to work in it) to a large mall.

 

I don't even talk about tech labs to weapon forges for students, which you are free to use (to a certain degree.) Of course, you can always pay for some services like weapon or equipment orders, which you can pay with credits you gain through your academic achievements or completed missions. Hell, even bringing the head of a Crimson has a prize in this place.

 

But those are places of another day. Today, our team, which we don't even have a name for, must talk and know each other better. And I don't know a better place than a cafe for that.

 

                                                                                                                     *****

"Sooo, are we going to talk or just drink?" I asked.

 

No one answered. My teammates didn't even react, except Yin, who took a sip from his coffee.

 

We have been sitting at this table for at least twenty minutes now. We need to talk and know each other better. That shouldn't be this hard. Perhaps I somehow managed to assemble a team of meatheads who only know how to fight.

 

"Hey, I have a trick to show." Olie broke the silence. "Now, if you allow me to do it, I will make the coffee inside this cup disappear," She showed the plastic cup half filled with coffee. "Now, watch."

 

She pumped out some black mist around herself and threw the cup into the air using her tentacles. Cup dropped right into the mist, and seconds later, an empty cup appeared. "Ta-da!"

 

"Neat. But how did you do it." Stephania asked. "Like you can teleport objects inside your mist, or you just used the time to empty it, but where does the coffee go?"

 

"Oh, let me keep that to myself, but no, I cannot teleport things inside my mist, but I can turn all my body into mist and travel through it at high speeds, even though it is hard to control."

 

"Well, I suppose it is time to talk about powers. Now we all must show a trick, okay? And no spoiling it. Olivia, you can skip it if you want. You already showed it." And with it, Stephania started a small game, and I am glad she did it.

 

"Well, it is good for me, but I will pick the next person. Yin. Show us what you got."

 

Yin cracked his knuckles and gave a smile. I didn't expect from him.

 

But nothing came out of it.

 

"I cannot believe it. What sin I committed to seeing you, imbecile, every place I decided to visit, you know what, don't even open your mouth, I am going away from this place." That is Alice.

 

We all, except Yin, turned around to see her but failed to spot our target. Yet I can swear I just heard her. And I am pretty sure Yin didn't even move a lip. Wait.

 

"Cool, isn't it?" He is smirking while looking at us, but I gave him that. He tricked us all.

 

"Wait? How did you even do that?" Ivan asked.

 

"Using an ancient art called ventriloquism, my friend."

 

"Ventriloquism, what is that."

 

"Do you know people making puppets talk without moving their mouths? That is called ventriloquism. It isn't ancient, but not common either."

 

"Oh, sorry, I haven't seen any ventriloquism in my life before." Ivan was from the top of a mountain filled with wild Crimsons. I suppose he isn't all that connected with the outside.

 

"So, I choose the next one, am I right? Well, show us your tricks, Ivan."

 

"Gladly, but I don't have mastery over such arts. So I will show a humble gesture of my friendship." Ivan placed both hands on the table and began making a growl-like sound, and suddenly, his fingers disappeared and turned into claws with razor-sharp tips. "Sorry for not having mastery over my transformation like most dragons, but that's not all." Suddenly, his claws began glowing red and emitting heat waves around.

 

"Well, now that's what I call fire, but I think I can show something cool and fire-related too. Will you give me the turn, friend?" Marco grabbed Ivan's claw. I suppose heat doesn't bother our Phoenix.

 

"It is all yours." Ivan pulled his hands away and turned them to normal. "Let's see what you got."

 

Marco made a lump by joining his hands, and suddenly a fire began flowing out from the spaces between his hands. I got a give him. That is a cool party trick, but he needs more to impress me.

 

"For ones wandering, that's not all. Now, look at this little guy." Marco opened his hands, and a small, chick-like creature made from fire appeared.

 

The fire chick jumped out of Marco's hand and began moving around the table. Weirdly the chick's feathers look like they are burning, but it doesn't emit any heat.

 

Suddenly Olie grabbed the creature and began patting its head. "Aww, where were you hiding this little guy all this time? Look at him. He looks so docile and cute."

 

"Well, that little boy you are currently petting is a Phoenix."

 

"Huh?" Olie suddenly dropped the bird.

 

"Related to LUZ. From a project called Power-Companions, it is a materialized animal form of your power, and mine is this little guy."

 

"I think I know about that. LUZ's head of security, that guy with a spiritual-looking panther, is he part of the program."

 

"You mean O Ceifeiro (Repaer.) Yes, he is, and he is so strong. Power-Companion can double one strength, but I doubt it is limited to just that. At least for him, it looks like triple, perhaps even quadruple."

 

"And how did you gain yours."

 

"Wish I knew it, amigo. I only know I have one, and LUZ doesn't want me to."

 

"Not gonna question this more, now next person." I clapped my hand.

 

Stephanie jumped forward. "Oh, that would be me." She raised her hands, and suddenly metal objects around our table began floating.

 

Steinar grabbed his tea spoon from the air and began inspecting it. "I didn't know you also had psychic powers."

 

"Wish I had, I only have magnetism next to my enchanted physical attributes, but it is cool to have. If I focus enough, I can stop some metal projectiles mid-air."

 

"Wanna try it?"

 

"No, not my day, but it is your turn Steinar."

 

"Okay, now someone gives me something sharp." He began looking around.

 

Lucas patted Steinar's back. "We already saw how wonderful your regeneration is, buddy. You can keep that to yourself for now."

 

"Well, it's your loss, magic boy, but what you got, show me that."

 

"Okay." Lucas raised his amputated hand, and suddenly a hand blue half transparent hand appeared from it. "Boom, magical limbs, cool, isn't it, but I have more." A pair of wings with a similar texture to his hand appeared from his back. "I can modify my body next to my magical skills. So, captain, what you got."

 

I closed my left hand and began focusing. Seconds later, I opened it, and crystal dust began flying through the air. "I am not limited to my intelligence or energy-creating abilities, I can create matter too, but it is difficult for me. Those quartz crystals you just saw are enough to stop me from using my powers for five minutes. Now, if you all let me, I gotta drink more coffee."

 

"Drink much as you want. Captain." Olivia began laughing. How rude of her, especially if the reason why she is laughing is the reason I think it is.

 

"Wait, shouldn't we need to call you captain?

 

"No, there is nothing wrong, just messing with my brother. That isn't right. Captain Leonard of first robot assault force?."

 

"Wait, what is that?" Marco turned towards me with confused eyes.

 

"Embarrassment, my friend, lots and lots of twelve years old embarrassment. I want specific someone not to dig too deep for her good."

 

Olie noded, and finally, talk turned back into the silence at the start.

0