Four
79 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sol opened his eyes. He stretched his arms and yawned. He felt a new vigor in his body while feeling refreshed.

"I had a nice dream."

Although the feeling of his success while slaying the centipede-like monster was fresh in his mind, it did not change the things he had to do today.

After preparations, he left his house and went to work.

It was the same as any other day. Streets filled with people, going on about for a busy day at work. He felt like one of the zombies in those movies. They did not have to think as they go about their work to be able to eat once they found their prey.

As he sat on his cubicle, a familiar face peeked at him.

"Hey man. How are you?"

Blas was smiling as he greeted Sol.

"Good. You?"

Blas smiled, even more, when he heard Sol's reply. It was his chance to tell his story to his co-worker.

"Hey man. Have you heard?"

Blas leaned in closer and whispered. On the other hand, Sol knew that his co-worker would be telling something about what happened with their other co-workers. It was a known fact that Blas was one to spread rumors in their department. He did not want to interact with Blas that much, but their location made it unavoidable. In the end, he was stuck with the most talkative person in their department.

Blas looked at Sol's reaction, making sure that he had his attention, he said his piece.

"You know our Manager Ben. He was caught cheating by his wife. And guess what?"

Blas made sure to cut to the good part. It was to make the story suspenseful. However, it only annoyed Sol even more.

'If you want to say something, say it already. You are talking about our Manager behind his back. What if we get caught?'

Sol looked around not wanting anyone to hear what Blas was about to say. Blas, however, took this as a sign that his work buddy was more interested in his story. He nodded and was about to continue with his own dramatic story when a shadow cast behind their backs.
Both looked at the person who was casting the shadow. And to their surprise, it was the same person Blas was talking about.

"Good Morning Manager!"

Both said in unison. Both had the same thought, 'did he hear what they were talking about?' But looking at their Manager's facial expression, they knew they were about to be spared.

His face was with a full smile. His chubby cheeks were as round as the moon, while all his pearly white teeth could be seen. He was holding a large stack of papers in his hand but it did not seem to bother him in any way, unlike before. His new suit was properly tucked in and ironed without any creases.

"Good Morning. Here Sol."

*thud*

The large stacks of paper fell into his desk.

"I want you to finish this before the end of the shift."

Their Manager left with his still beaming face. He was humming a tune and smiling at the other employees as they greeted him. While the two employees were left confused as to what happened.

"There must be something good that happened. He never approaches my cubicle with a smile."

Sol looked at his co-worker with a chastising gaze. Blas turned his head around faster than a possessed doll and made himself busy on his own cubicle. Left alone without distractions, Sol started his day.

'All I want is to finish work.

Go home.

And sleep.'

*sigh*

The only sound that was heard was the fast tapping of keys on the computer, the shifting of pages and the deep sigh.
Time moved along till it was the end of the day.

The shuffling of feet could be heard from inside their office, chairs moving and rolling on the tiled floors. It was 5 and everyone was preparing to leave work. However, Sol was halfway done with his work. He wanted to leave at the same time as his co-workers but he can't risk losing his job.

"Hey, Sol. Do you want to join me and the guys for a round of beers?"

Blas asked from behind his chair.

"I can't. I'm not done with my work."

Sol replied indifferently. He wanted to join them too but he had to prioritize his work.

Sol could hear the voices of people from far away.

"So he declined again?"

"Yeah, he did."

"You knew he can't come. Why do you keep asking him anyway?"

That was all he could hear from where he was currently sitting at. He too wanted to join them, but with his work half done, who was he kidding.

*Sigh*

"Let's just finish this and go home."

He tried to comfort himself with those words again and again until the sky turned dark.

Sol was finally able to go home.

It was late so he decided to skip eating and dive right into his bed.

He was slowly swallowed by darkness. His eyelids felt heavy as he closed them.
When Sol opened his eyes, he was back in the same spot in the room from where he stood. He was still wearing the suit he fell asleep in. In a corner of the room was a table, where his armor, shield, sword, and bag was placed in order. Sol approached his gear and wore them one by one.

Once the gear was in place, he felt his heart burning in excitement.

'This really is the best feeling.'

He tightened his grip on his shield and his short sword while the magic circle illuminated the room with a blinding white light.

"Come!"

0