Ch. 0
122 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has already been 60 years since the Great Awakening. Sixty years ago, a bright light covered the world, and the light forever changed the world. What followed was an image straight out of the deepest layer of hell. Creatures of all forms roamed the streets, attacking all living creatures on sight. People scrambled for safety, yet the walls, the bunkers, the "safe" areas proved to be very ineffective when it came to keeping people safe.

The entire world was panicking. Guns and explosives did very little to harm the monsters. Sure, if you sink enough bullets into the more miniature monsters, they'll bleed to death over time. However, the small monsters were not the ones causing a global panic. The world was dismayed to discover that modern-day technology could not so much as dent the skin of the greater terrors. Just when humans lost all hope, a group of people with supernatural abilities and superhuman levels of strength, speed, and endurance shocked the world by killing one of the scariest monsters.

This group of humans, known as the Chosen Ones, shared knowledge that saved many lives. Most importantly, they announced to the world the method of obtaining great power. And thus, the race to become the strongest had begun. Those who managed to acquire abilities and strength and were able to take down the monsters were referred to as Hunters.

Since the first generation of Hunters, every following generation has proved to be stronger. The monsters that once terrorized the streets were pushed back into the dungeons, where they originated from.

In the past, the Great Awakening was a synonym for despair, gloom, and death. Today, it is considered to be the best event that has ever happened to the human race. Besides the bloodshed the monsters had brought with them, they also brought exotic material that would not have existed otherwise. The most valued exotic material is the core of the monsters, which society now is utterly dependent on.

The cores of monsters are the world's dominant energy source. It is also the core material used to create better gear for hunters to hunt with. It is also used to concatenate otherworldly medicine that successfully cures many diseases and viruses that modern medicine is incapable of. Due to their versatility in usage and superiority in quality and effectiveness, monster cores are the most highly sought after item in the world. With the success of monster cores, the Hunter occupation has also become the most desirable occupation.

When traditional celebrities like movie stars, professional athletes, and late night personalities fell out of popularity, hunters took their place as the world's celebrities. Everyone looked up to the hunters. Some people were envious of them, while others worshipped them. But the matter is that Hunters have become the most influential and powerful people on the planet.

The year is 2096, and it has been 60 years since the Great Awakening. Society has long since recovered to its state before the Great Awakening and even surpassed it. All branches of society, be it safety, economy, healthcare, etc., are far more advanced than they used to be. But what follows society is different economic standings. Naturally, there will be the wealthy, then the middle class, and lastly, the poor. The Great Awakening has made the gap between those with power and money and those without even wider. This is because lots of money and talent is required to nurture a good Hunter.

My name is Gideon Lenoir, and I lack money, power, and parents. Abandoned before I can even remember, I have lived in the dormitory of a public school for ten years now. Currently, I am 15 and just about to enter high school.

2