Ch. 6 – Still Alive
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
<Stranger's perspective>
 
"Hey uncle, look!" cried a young female voice
 
A pair of a young girl and a battle hardened man who had scars covering his face and possessed graying hair had just walked out of the forest toward the dungeon entrance but noticed a teenage boy's body lying in front of it.
 
When the young girl noticed the boy covered in blood, she cried to the older man, "Quick, we need to help him, uncle!" The grown man looked at the boy on the ground and wasn't even sure whether he was still alive or not. After all, looking at the hardened blood around the boy. The body must've been lying there for a while now. He was more likely to be dead than being alive.
 
Upon moving closer to the corpse, the duo of niece and uncle noticed that the "corpse" slightly moved up and down, symbolizing the body was still breathing, very much not dead. The girl cried to her uncle once more about helping the boy.
 
The uncle tried to ignore the boy because he felt like this wasn't worth his time since he had no relation with the boy. However, after the repeated nagging of his niece, the uncle finally succumbed to his niece's request and agreed to help the boy.
 
The man flipped around the boy's body and noticed the severe injury on the boy's left shoulder. The man proceeded to take out a powdery substance and covered the open wound with it. Upon contact with blood, the substance immediately solidified into a greenish substance and filled up the wound, thus, stopping the bleeding. After confirming that the mysterious substance filled the boy's wound. The uncle retrieved a bottle that contained a crimson red substance from his pouch and forced the red liquid in the bottle down the boy's throat.
 
Soon after, the boy's complexion immediately improved and his breathing didn't look as labored as it originally was.
 
Initially, the man brought his niece to this dungeon to get a monster hunting experience at an early age. However, that plan has now been disrupted after the appearance of this boy.
 
The uncle noticed the boy's clothing and recognized the insignia on it. He recalled that that insignia belonged to that of an awful school. The uncle thought this was just another case of a young boy who was overconfident or foolish, as some may argue instead and came close to dying or dying in a dungeon.
 
While his niece was looking after the unconscious boy, the uncle walked into the dungeon to check out the dungeon. Now that the variable in the form of the unconscious boy was introduced, the man had to reevaluate the danger level of the dungeon in case anything happened. If he deemed that the dungeon was too dangerous for his niece, then they would leave. Otherwise, his plan to have his niece gain experience hunting in dungeons would continue.
 
He noticed many dead small skeletons, most likely killed by the boy, on his way down the dungeon. One thing that caught his attention was that the surroundings of every battle showed that no prolonged battle had ever occurred. Meaning that the boy killed the skeletons before they can retaliate much. This small discovery piqued the uncle's interest by a little bit.
 
Following a dried trail of blood, the uncle finally reached where Gideon and the skeleton that injured him had fought. The uncle inspected the corridor closely, from the walls to the ground and the skeleton's remains. When the uncle finally observed the skeleton's remains, he was surprised to find out that the skeleton was the field boss of this dungeon.
 
In dungeons, besides the common enemies it contains, there will always be a monster that is considered the dungeon's boss. The bosses are always much more deadly than the standard enemies. They are the most prominent cause of hunter fatalities. If the normal monster were sheep, then the boss would be a lion. Besides the boss, there are also mini-bosses or field bosses, as some may call them. Field bosses could either be more dangerous or less dangerous than the boss of the dungeon. The unique characteristic of field bosses is that, unlike bosses, they are not restricted to one place in the dungeon. They tend to travel around in the dungeon freely. In addition to that, where boss monsters cannot leave their dungeons, there have been cases of field bosses venturing out of their dungeons and wrecking havoc.
 
Now the man's interest was stroked. From his standpoint, this skeleton was no more than a fly that he could squat away at any time. However, the person who took this field boss was still a young teenager. Taking down this field boss while still being a student is no easy feat. More so if you're not a student of one of the big seven, the top seven battle academies in the world.
 
This discovery led the uncle to believe that he might have found a hidden gem. After resurfacing from the dungeon, the uncle rechecked the boy's injury and confirmed that he was healing fine. The uncle took out the boy's wallet and looked at his school ID card. "Gideon Lenoir, I see. I'll be keeping an eye on you." the uncle muttered to himself. The uncle put Gideon's wallet back to where it belonged and left a small book next to him. The uncle muttered to himself again, "Hopefully, this will help you on your path of development, kid." Soon after, the uncle told his niece that they wouldn't be exploring the dungeon today and brought his niece home.
 
<Gideon Lenoir's perspective>
 
I opened my eyes, and I saw the night sky with its blinking starts. I blinked a few times. Am I alive? I immediately sat up and examined my left shoulder. The wound had mysteriously closed up, and I felt unexpectedly good. Not just good, I felt great! I somehow survived. Did the heaven's come down and save me? That conjecture was broken very soon when I noticed an empty glass bottle and a book sitting right next to me.
 
Somebody saved me. But who were they, and why did they do so? All they left was an empty bottle and an old looking book. I inspected the empty bottle once more and immediately jumped in freight. I recognized the logo on the bottle. It belonged to the Bloodworks company, one of the best producers of healing potions. Any one of their potions would be priced at least in the millions. The thought that I had at least a million dollars flowing inside me right now made me want to rip myself open and collect every last drop of the potion. Millions of dollars were life changing money, I tell you.
 
After calming down, I opened up my Hunter System and checked my stats.
 
Name: Gideon Lenoir
Age: 15
Title: Death's Acquaintance (C)
Bloodline: N/A
Class: N/A
Strength: F → F+
Agility: F+
Endurance: F- → F
Intellect: E-
Wisdom: F- → F
Luck: B+
Abilities: Battle awareness (E-), Sprinting (F+), Observe weakness (F+)
Techniques: Unarmed Combat Fundamentals (F-)
Status: Recovering
 
I was surprised to see two of my stats increase, that I learned two new skills being Battle Awareness and Observe weakness, and I earned a title. I clicked on both of the new skills and the title to see what they entailed.
 
Battle awareness (E-) (Max: D+): The ability of the user to have a good understanding of their surroundings of battle. This includes knowing what positions to hold, using the terrain to the user's advantage, fighting IQ, etc.
 
Observe weakness (F+) (Max: unknown): The ability of the user to observe their opponent's weaknesses. Attacking these weaknesses will result in causing more damage to the opponent. Some may refer to it as a critical attack.
 
Title: Death's Acquaintance (C): The close experience with death has made you less afraid of it. Now, you'll be less distracted by attacks that pose a risk to your life.
 
Both of the new skills I got were amazing. The title I received was even more impressive. The title essentially made me calmer while receiving life-threatening attacks. Only by being calm will you be capable of resting these attacks, so this title was a lifesaver.
 
Looking back, it made sense why the Hunter System judged that I had these skills considering when I was fighting that skeleton. During the fight, not only was I brawling against the skeleton, I observed its weakness and exploited it, and judged the terrain, being whether it was in my favor or not.
 
As for my endurance stat and wisdom stat, it seems like after being beaten up by the skeleton. My body has become more resilient now. Thus, raising my endurance stat. As for my wisdom stat, it potentially raised when I reflected on my life and eventually insulted destiny and fate, whichever it may be. Just thinking about that last part made me cringe a little bit. But, my thoughts remained the same.
 
After observing my stats, I shifted my attention to the book my savior or saviors left me. After flipping the book's cover over, my mouth turned into a large oval to the point where you can fit an egg in it. The first page of the book wrote: "The Imperial Kingdom's Soundless Sword Technique."
1