Ch. 11 – Departure
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The next day, when it's time for battle class again. Mr. Ding called me to the side while the rest of the class were still sparring against each other.
 
In front of Mr. Ding stood a lifelike human-sized mannequin. While I was still trying to deduct what the mannequin was for, Mr. Ding said to me, "Do you know what you need to focus on right now, kid?"
 
"Yes," I answered.
 
"What do you need to focus on?" Mr. Ding asked.
 
I answered, "I need to make my attacks deadlier."
 
Mr. Ding was impressed by my answer and proceeded to point towards the mannequin. "You will be training with this mannequin, kid." Mr. Ding said.
 
My confused eyes shifted from Mr. Ding to the mannequin. What would I learn from sparring against a mannequin? Knowing what I was probably thinking of right now, Mr. Ding explained, "You will not be learning how to fight with this mannequin. You already know how to do that. You will be learning how to kill with this mannequin."
 
A confused sound emerged from my mouth. Mr. Ding patiently explained to me, "The human body is fragile. There are many places on the human body which, if struck, would seriously damage your enemy. You will be learning where to strike your enemies with this mannequin."
 
Following his statement, Mr. Ding pointed toward several places on the mannequin and explained what would happen to my enemy if I struck them there. Mr. Ding slowly demonstrated the many methods of breaking an opponent's joints or dislocating them. He explained that to reach the pinnacle of hand to hand combat, one needed to have a thorough understanding of the human nervous system. Even if my specialty weren't in unarmed combat, it would still be helpful in combat. Mr. Ding demonstrated the many ways to abuse the nervous system on my body. After poking a few spots on my arm, I proceeded to lose all feeling in that arm. While I was still panicking from the sudden loss of motor ability, Mr. Ding explained the many major nervous groups in the human body and their functions, including those he had just poked.
 
By the end of the class period, Mr. Ding wasn't even close to finishing his lecture. Finally, the ringing of the school bell reminded Mr. Ding of what time it was. He instructed the class to leave for their next class. However, he told me to stay. I happily followed his instructions because even though I didn't quite understand what Mr. Ding had just taught me, I knew that it was precious information. Plus, my next class was the magic lesson. Learning what Mr. Ding was teaching me was much better than listening to the magic teacher complaining.
 
When the rest of the class left the gym, Mr. Ding poked my still arm in several new spots, and immediately I could start feeling my arm again. Mr. Ding walked to the side and instructed me to start fighting against the mannequin. Following Mr. Ding's earlier demonstration, I struck the mannequin in several particular locations and proceeded to look at Mr. Ding to see if I was doing it right. Mr. Ding gave me an affirmative nod, and I moved to continue striking the mannequin. I dished out hand chops against the neck, palm strikes toward the chest, hammer fists onto the shoulder, and many more. After several hours of training with the mannequin, I was dripping in sweat.
 
Something dropped next to me, and I turned around to find out it was a water bottle. Mr. Ding had given me the water bottle to replenish energy from. I felt very appreciative of Mr. Ding's actions. As I was drinking from the bottle, Mr. Ding instructed me to check my Hunter System.
 
Following Mr. Ding's order, I opened up my Hunter System and was shocked to see its content.
 
Name: Gideon Lenoir
Age: 15
Title: Death's Acquaintance (C)
Bloodline: N/A
Class: N/A
Strength: E-
Agility: E
Endurance: F+ → E-
Intellect: E-
Wisdom: F
Luck: B+
Abilities: Battle awareness (E), Observe weakness (F-) → (E-), Sprinting (F+)
Techniques: Imperial Kingdom's Soundless Sword Technique (Beginner) (D), Unarmed Combat Fundamentals (F) → (E-)
Status: Healthy
 
Observe weakness (E-) (Max: unknown): The ability of the user to observe their opponent's weaknesses. Attacking these weaknesses will result in causing more damage to the opponent. Some may refer to it as a critical attack. Currently able to deduct some of the major weakness in humanoid opponents.
 
Unarmed Combat Fundamentals (E-) (Max: E+): A technique that allows the user to demonstrate basic unarmed combat at an advanced level.
 
No doubt Mr. Ding knew what was going to happen. After calming down from this unexpected discovery, Mr. Ding said, "Head back home now. We'll continue tomorrow."
 
I knew what Mr. Ding was teaching me right now was not something the average person would know. Combining Mr. Ding's vast knowledge about the human body and its vulnerabilities and the dangerous aura he emitted yesterday during the spar, Mr. Ding was not an average teacher. Before Mr. Ding left the gym, I quickly asked, "Mr. Ding, who are you?"
 
Mr. Ding slowly looked back at me and said, "Just an ex-Hunter." I knew he wasn't telling the truth. After all, Hunters hunted monsters. His skills seemed to be used for hunting humans.  
 
From that day onward, I would have a separate lesson with Mr. Ding every day during the battle class and after school. Mr. Ding drilled into me the human body's many weaknesses. I was confident that me from several weeks ago couldn't hold a handle against the current me even though we shared very similar stats.
 
One afternoon, as I was training with Mr. Ding, I asked, "What's in it for you to train me?"
 
Mr. Ding paused for a moment before replying, "Because you remind me of myself."
 
"Why is that?" I questioned.
 
Mr. Ding responded, "That's not something you should be concerned about."
 
I understood that Mr. Ding didn't want to talk about the subject, so I didn't press him for more information.
 
"The exam is happening next week. Are you confident about it?" Mr. Ding asked me.
 
"I don't know," I responded to Mr. Ding's question.
 
"Why is that?" Mr. Ding asked.
 
I answered Mr. Ding's question, "I don't know how strong my seniors are. I know that I am strongest in my grade, but I don't know how I would fare against students who have had more years than me to train."
 
Mr. Ding looked at me calmly before asking, "In the battle royale, are you planning on going solo?"
 
"Yes," I replied.
 
"Why?" Mr. Ding said.
 
I had been with Mr. Ding long enough to know that he is someone I can trust. Therefore, I replied truthfully, "I want to get a high score to attract the eyes of the Big Seven."
 
"That won't be enough," said Mr. Ding
 
"Why is that?" I asked.
 
"The students who get admitted to those academies belong to a whole different league than you do." Mr. Ding answered.
 
"So, I have no chance?" I said with a saddened tone, "But I've sparred against a student of the Braveheart Academy, and I felt that with enough time, I would be able to best her!"
 
Mr. Ding raised his eyebrow and asked, "What was her name?"
 
"Aria," I replied
 
"Does she have golden hair and blue eyes?" Mr. Ding asked.
 
"Yes. How did you know?" I asked.
 
Mr. Ding paused for a moment before asking me, "Have you ever beat her?"
 
"No," I replied.
 
"You are sure she didn't go easy on you?" asked Mr. Ding
 
Upon hearing Mr. Ding's question, I remembered how every time I sparred with Aria, she would suddenly increase in power during the final moments of the spar and beat me immediately. Now that I thought about it, the entire time I sparred against Aria, she was showing mercy toward me. Those spurts of extreme power from Aria are likely her true capabilities. After realizing the truth behind my spars with Aria, I lowered my head in shame and frustration. I was ashamed that I thought I was almost equal in power to Aria and felt frustrated at how weak I was.
 
We both stood there silently for a moment. Mr. Ding looked into the distance before telling me, "No, you can get admitted to the Big Seven."
 
"How would I accomplish that? I'm weak." I said with a bleak tone.
 
"It's not your fault for being weak, but it will be your fault for staying weak." Mr. Ding said, "You won't be able to accomplish your goal in this school. Gideon, how much are you willing to sacrifice to become strong?"
 
It was the first time Mr. Ding has spoken my name. I stared Mr. Ding dead in the eyes and said in a steady voice, "Everything. I am willing to sacrifice everything to become strong."
 
Mr. Ding turned his head again, looking off into the vast unknown. Then he said to me, "Go and pack your stuff. We'll be leaving tonight."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1