Ch 13 First day on the trail
445 8 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night I slept in Myron's house. He had stopped me as I was standing up and said "Boy do not for a minute think that I will allow you in this village for a minute without supervision. You will sleep here and you will like it." As I figure it is safer to have people think that I am a man rather than a women, I sleep fully clothed.

I was woken up before dawn by Myron. He had been true to his word and spent the night preparing supplies for my journey. I was able to look through the bag he had gave me as he led me to the location that the slavers had left from. The bag was a simple burlap sack that could be easily tied to my horse for ease of carry. In it was a weeks worth of food and a pair of water skins. 

I think back to all the trouble I had hauling my cannon though the mud on my first day here. This and the fact that I would have no use for heavy artillery on a manhunt are the reasons that I decided to leave the cannon behind. Taking only my infantry kit and one of my two horses with me.

"Take care of my cart and other horse while I am gone." I tell Myron.

"Tamaya'll do it. Don't think you can come back here without being successful." He scolded.

I lead my horse following the trail left by the slavers. The tracks were not subtle and in spite of being four days old were identifiable just by paying attention. This was due to their haste and the number of prisoners who were not even trying to cover their tracks. I sigh with relief. I had not given much thought as to how I would pursue the slavers. The fact that my charge would leave such a trail had not occurred to me. 

I get on my horse and ride after the tracks. After a few hours of riding bareback at a trot, I am already lamenting the absence of saddles. While I have draped a blanket over the horse's back to reduce chafing, it is just not the same. 

The day passes smoothly, I am able to stay on track and make great progress. If everything goes smoothly I will catch up with the bandits after three days. Odiously I do not know everything, but I doubt that they could travel much faster than 3 miles an hour or 30 miles in a day. I on the other hand can travel at around 8 miles an hour, or about 60 miles a day. Even with me dismounting to let the horse rest for a few hours each day, I am still traveling twice as fast a I expect they could. Being that they had a four day head start It should take four days for me to catch up. 

The first day passed without issue, as the sun began to set I came upon the ruminants of a campsite. It was an area of about 15 paces in diameter where the local vegetation had been trampled or striped. There were several places where holes were dug or plants were uprooted. In the center there was the burned out campfire. 

Getting down from the horse and stretching my legs was a great relief. It had been a long day. Figuring that I should get as close to my target before they know that I am tracking them, I choose not to light a fire. And after a brief dinner I turn in for the night.

 

 

I wake up in the middle of the night to hear the approach of another horse. And even before I see the rider I have a sneaking suspicion for just who it might be. 

"Tamaya is that you?" 

Tamaya's desperate voice responded "Mister! There you are. I was looking for you. In the morning Myron told me th-that Mom was dead and.. and that Sarah was gone. And... and..." She broke into tears. 

In the dark I can see just well enough to make out where Tamaya sat on the horse. I reach up and lift her down from the horse. 

"It's ok. Calm down."

It takes a while for Tamaya to calm down enough to have a conversation. 

"I promise you I will get your sister back, don't worry. In the morning I will take you back home, ok."

"NO! I am coming with you. You need my help to... track... to fight." 

"Tamaya, you should not have followed me. It is too dangerous for a child like you to come with me. Besides I bet everyone back at the village is worried sick about you."

"No I want to come, and I can fight using the gun. I will not be trouble ok."

Why did Tamaya have to follow me?  

"Listen, Tamaya it does not matter what you want. And no you can not use the gun I am going to be using to fight with. And before you say otherwise, just how long did it take you to hit a large stationary tree at close range nonetheless? I am the adult and you are the child, therefore you have to listen to what I tell you. If you do not head back on your own tomorrow I will have to take you back myself."

"No! I am coming with you! I need to go to save my sister." Tamaya begins crying again.

"Tamaya I under stand you are upset by this, but if you are not good about this then I will have to spend time to bring you back. Ok?"

"If you don't let me come I'll... I'll..." Tamaya takes a breath, "I'll tell everyone that you did bad things with me!"

"... you fucker..." 

"I'll tell them that you taught me naughty words, and... and that you had me stay up all night and made me not wash my ears. And also that you grabbed my tail and lifted me up by it too!" 

"Tamaya let's discuss this tomorrow morning."

"No, I want you to promise me now!"

"I am tired, we will discuss this in the morning."

"No, now. Promise me or else."

Who ever told me that kids are all angles should eat a boot. Adorable? Yes.

Conniving, manipulative, bastards? Also yes.

"Fine! But only if you listen to every thing I say and DO NOT put your self into danger."

"Yes yes yes. But promise me now!"

"Okay, I promise. Now go to bed."

"NO! say it." She insists.

"Again. I promise to let you tag along with me so long as you stay out of trouble and do what I tell you to do." I sigh, "Here take this blanket and go to bed." I hand her the blanket I was using. And we go to sleep.

 

 

Announcement

Hello every one! Great news, After I wrote last chapter I got double the traffic on that day than my previous best! Also this chapter marks an important milestone! 10k words! 

Like wise we are ranked #52 for tomboyish female lead, just 700 reads to get into the top 50! 

I never expected this story to do even a fraction of this well.

I really appreciate the support that you guys have been giving. Thank you for reading and let me know what you think in the comments. I read all of them, and will try to respond to as many as I can. ~Hatt

 

11