4 The Last Rose of Winter (3)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fu Yun immediately started to make plans. He couldn’t tell anyone anything about Yue Ji. Otherwise, it might end in disaster. If he constantly left and stayed out for hours at a time, it would raise concerns. Maybe not immediately but with time, the others would notice and start to ask questions.

Right now, it was still the middle of winter. Until the last snow fell, he would have enough of an excuse to go and see him. After all, it was unlikely anyone would be able to hunt enough for them to stay in the village. Since he didn’t have a family to take care of, it would make sense for him to venture out more than others. He could just volunteer, then spend half the time hunting and the other half with Yue Ji. Nobody would notice.

After that … well, he didn’t know yet but he could certainly come up with something. Maybe he’d just pretend he had gone so far into the forest that he met someone from a village on the other side and fell in love or something. It wouldn’t be too far from the truth so he could probably keep that story straight.

But yes, that was something to think about later. For now, he should plan tomorrow’s visit. He had already made up his mind to ask some questions. As for the rest of their conversation, he’d just go with the flow. He should also bring a small gift though. Hopefully, that would leave a good impression.

Having made up his mind, Fu Yun opened a chest standing below his window. There was a smile on his lips when he pulled out a fur he kept in there, carefully tucked away at the side. He had never used it before, not even when the temperatures dropped much further than this morning because it could be considered a rarity.

He had always thought that he could sell it off if he ever found himself in dire straits or otherwise give it to his future wife. Well, he didn’t think he’d ever find that wife. And seeing how Yue Ji had looked at the fur he had worn on top of his clothes today, he should like this one. It was even softer but contrary to the gray one he used, this one was snow white. If worn by Yue Ji, it should feel like it was supposed to lie on his shoulders, blending in with the white hair and snowy skin.

Fu Yun smiled to himself, picked out a nondescript piece of fabric from the chest, and wrapped the fur inside. This way, nothing would show from the outside. Otherwise, he might get questions as to why he was suddenly taking this out if he ran into one of the others tomorrow morning.

Right now, it was still too early for that. He’d have to wait a few days or maybe even weeks before he could start bringing up excuses for staying out longer. Well, of course, this was only the case if Yue Ji still wanted to see him by then. The spirit might not be too comfortable with him being around all the time, after all.

He sighed and dropped the thought, putting the wrapped-up fur to the side. After that, he collapsed on his bed with a groan. A whole day … it suddenly seemed like an eternity. He hardly knew what he should do with all that time.

Fu Yun continued to lie on the bed for a while but finally got up with another sigh. There wasn’t much to do in winter, especially not if he was trying to evade the others so they wouldn’t notice his abnormal state of mind. Thinking about it for a while, he finally went over to the bucket that was standing in the corner. He had filled it with snow this morning before going out and by now, the snow had melted into crystal-clear water.

Fu Yun poured some of the water into a smaller bowl and glanced at his reflection which could be faintly seen. He had no idea what type of person a spirit would like whether that was in terms of personality or appearance. Thinking of Yue Ji’s looks though, he felt that his chances might go up if he at least seemed like a person that could be described as well put together. Thus, the next half an hour was spent on grooming himself.

When Fu Yun looked into the water the next time, he nodded to himself. He could probably be considered a handsome man. Otherwise, there wouldn’t have been several women asking to be with him in the past. Still, those were all human so he didn’t dare to rely on just that. With his hair trimmed and his skin better taken care of, he faintly hummed to himself. This certainly couldn’t compare to how other spirits would look but it was a start. Anyway, he had no magic abilities to turn himself into a hunk.

After he finished with his appearance, Fu Yun started to tidy up his hut. He naturally didn’t think he’d ever have the chance to show Yue Ji with the other villagers around. No, rather than doing this for him, it was just so he could keep his hands busy. His thoughts would stray back to the beautiful spirit the whole time though.

When evening arrived, Fu Yun went to bed early. There was nothing left to do at home and he wanted to get up early tomorrow morning. He couldn’t be sure that he would find the spot where he met Yue Ji today as soon as he tried after all. If he had trouble remembering the way or Yue Ji didn’t wait exactly at the same place, it might take some time to get together.

Unfortunately for him, Fu Yun was too excited to fall asleep fast. He cursed himself, turned to the other side, and focused on his breathing. As a hunter, he was usually able to sleep at all times to ensure that he wouldn’t be too exhausted to go out when necessary. Even in a situation such as today, as long as he realized what was happening, he knew a few techniques to help him fall asleep.

Soon enough, he finally entered the land of dreams. Maybe unsurprisingly, what he saw there was still the same beautiful spirit as the one he had met this morning, standing in a clearing in the forest. It was just that this time, the woods surrounding them were not engulfed in snow. Instead, it was the height of summer with the sun shining down brightly on them, enveloping them in their warmth.

In his dream, Fu Yun’s lips curved into a smile as soon as he spotted the spirit and he walked over, pulling Yue Ji into his arms who had been standing with his back to him. “Yue Ji.” He leaned down and gently kissed his shoulder as if they truly were a pair of lovers that could not be more familiar with each other.

Yue Ji raised his head to him and the corners of his lips raised as well. This time, they weren’t covered by frost and even his eyes weren’t of the same silvery color as before but showed a hint of light green instead.

For a short while, Fu Yun just stared at him as if in a daze. What he felt in his heart wasn’t surprise though but just a clear stream of happiness coursing through his heart. This person, he loved him. He had no doubt about that.

Yue Ji finally turned in his arms, raising his hands and pressing them against his chest. “You came. Are you not afraid to get into trouble?”

Fu Yun shook his head. “Not at all.” Actually, a hint of worry disturbed his good mood but he forced himself to continue smiling, not wanting to show it in front of Yue Ji. The thought that the spirit could do nothing to help anyway crossed his mind. Since that was the case, why bother him with his problems? He would deal with them himself and find a solution no matter how it might look in the end.

Yue Ji didn’t doubt him. He just nodded and then reached up further, his hands finally cupping Fu Yun’s cheeks. “Welcome back.” He craned his neck, bridging the short distance in height and kissing him on the lips.

Fu Yun held tightly onto his waist and kissed him back, his eyes closing while his heart thumped heavily. In his heart, the last bit of worry evaporated as if the warmth of their embrace had melted it. He pulled back slightly and brushed back Yue Ji’s white hair. “How about I move here? I can build us a small hut and we can live together.”

Yue Ji tilted his head and then his gaze swept from Fu Yun’s face to his feet and back up. “Does a scholar like you know how to build a hut?”

Fu Yun blushed and cleared his throat in embarrassment. “I don’t. But … as a scholar, what is there that I can’t learn? If it’s what you want as well, then I will look into it!”

Yue Ji laughed, his whole face lighting up. “It would be nice to spend more time together.”

“Then it’s decided.” Fu Yun kissed him again, his smile brightening. Finally, he gently turned him around in his arms, motioning here and there while he explained how he imagined their future home to look.

The dream seemed to last a long time and yet, it seemed to have been over in the blink of an eye when Fu Yun woke up the next morning. He raked a hand through his hair while getting out of bed, feeling reluctant when he thought of how the dream was already over. But then, thinking of how he could soon see Yue Ji in person, he cheered up.

Fu Yun hurriedly washed up while his mind flashed the images of the dream again. Actually, he felt somewhat confused. It wasn’t strange to dream of Yue Ji. After all, the spirit had left a huge impact on him yesterday. But why were things different from reality? Why were Yue Ji’s eyes light green and why was he himself a scholar and not a hunter?

Was this reality mixing with the rumors he had heard? It seemed to be the case. After all, the types of stories you would hear were all about how demonic spirits would seduce those poor and honest scholars, making them depart from the right way. Since he had worried at first whether Yue Ji was a fairy or a demonic spirit, that fear might have found its way into his dream. Yes, that had to be it.

Fu Yun found his explanation, hurriedly finished washing up and then grabbed his bow and the quiver of arrows along with the bundle with the fur he had packed yesterday. Slinging everything over his shoulder, he rushed out of the door and into the forest.

He was earlier than usual as if he had subconsciously known not to sleep too long so he could have more time with Yue Ji. As a result, none of the other hunters were up yet and he made it into the forest without being seen.

He wanted to rush to the place where he had met Yue Ji immediately but thinking of how the winter might be long and food was scarce, he first went along his usual route, trying to find some prey. Anyway, this might also be a good opportunity to speak more with Yue Ji.

He searched for a while but he only found an animal once and his mind was elsewhere, causing him to give his presence away. He sighed when the prey escaped from him and decided to give up for the day.

Putting away the bow and arrow, he made his way over to the place where he had met Yue Ji. His steps scrunched in the snow and he stepped on more than a single branch. If there were any birds perching on the bare branches or any animals hiding in the remains of the underbrush, he would have scared them off without a doubt. He did not care though and kept walking forward, his whole mind focused on seeing the spirit from the day before again, hoping that his trip would not be in vain.

His approach today was a lot noisier than the day before but even if not, Yue Ji’s perception was good. When he noticed Fu Yun, he stepped out of the rose bush, his gaze focused in the direction where Fu Yun would appear. Petal had not yet woken up and he didn’t bother to say anything, letting her sleep a while longer.

Yue Ji carefully stepped past the tree he had hidden behind yesterday. His fingers brushed the bark and he held onto the trunk lightly, still not sure how to face this person.

He wasn’t necessarily afraid but he also knew that he had to be careful. After all, before they truly knew each other, there was always a chance this man would be wary of him and react with violence when he felt threatened. He couldn’t stand an attack so it was best to be more cautious.

Soon, Fu Yun’s figure appeared between the trees. He halted a few steps away, his face already lit up with happiness. “You really came! I was afraid … afraid you’d forget or …” He shook his head, not sure what to say. He had had some doubts but now, all those thoughts flew away. Yes, since Yue Ji had said he would be here, then he would be. He had no need to lie to him, after all.

He didn’t think about it further and instead looked at the spirit. Yesterday, they had met in the twilight hours when the moon wasn’t as bright any longer but the sun had not yet fully risen either. At that time, he had seemed ethereal like the snow around him.

Today, it was still earlier. The night was deeper and the moon brighter. With Yue Ji standing there, wrapped in moonlight, he seemed even more beautiful than the day before. Whether it was his white hair, the pale skin, or even the silverish robe he wore, all of it seemed to glow faintly in the dark as if to prove that he was from a world much different from him.

Fu Yun took a shallow breath, put down the bow and the quiver of arrows, and carefully took the bundle with the fur from his shoulders. He untied the string he had used to close it, folded back the fabric, and showed the pristine white fur to Yue Ji. “I brought you a gift. I hope … I hope you like it and will accept it. I think it … would suit you really well.” He smiled nervously, afraid of being rejected.

Yue Ji watched Fu Yun’s expression and then dropped his gaze to the white fur. He slowly took a few steps and reached out, his fingertips brushing over the soft surface. “It is beautiful.” And it reminded him of memories that he should have long forgotten.

Yue Ji looked up again and his eyes curved into a smile when he looked at the hunter standing in front of him. He turned around and brushed his hair to the front, exposing his back to him as if to ask for Fu Yun to put on the fur for him and as if to acknowledge at the same time that there was no fear left in him, only the trust for a person that seemed to know him better than he should.

0