The Last Rose of Winter (5)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fu Yun wasn’t even sure where to start asking his questions at this moment. But watching Yue Ji’s transformation made him aware of how different they actually were. Mulling it over for a moment, he finally seemed to grasp the core of the issue. “So … what you’re saying is that, actually, you’re a plant?”

Yue Ji laughed lightly and reached up to the white fur around his shoulders, hiding Petal inside so she wouldn’t feel cold. “I guess you could say it like this. At the very least, I was a plant at first. We are called spirits because that is what slowly forms though.”

Fu Yun nodded. “I guess I get it somewhat?”

Yue Ji gave a hum. He knew it was difficult to get used to the idea at first so he didn’t push the issue either. Anyway, sooner or later, Fu Yun would understand better just by spending time together.

Seeing that Yue Ji wasn’t adding anything, Fu Yun thought about everything he had heard so far and then continued with his questions. “You said that humans would call out Yue Ji when coming by. So, do you have been in a lot of contact with humans?” He hadn’t thought so yesterday because of Yue Ji’s reaction but from what he had said so far, maybe it was different after all and he had only been afraid of him because of the bow and arrow.

Yue Ji’s gaze turned thoughtful in response. “A lot … I don’t know if you can say it that way. You probably don’t know this but the world of the spirits is often separated from that of humans. It is like a separate realm that you can only open if you have the ability or if you stumble upon some special places. Only in some regions do the two overlap.

“This forest, it is usually a place for humans only. After I was enlightened and my spirit formed, I lived in the part of the forest where the humans couldn’t enter. Because of that, I didn’t see them any longer.” He lowered his head, his gaze turning nostalgic. “That is until one day, a human stumbled into the spirit realm.”

Fu Yun’s expression had turned thoughtful when he heard the first part. In a sense, it seemed like he was lucky to be able to see Yue Ji at all. It made him wonder whether he had entered a place he shouldn’t have though. Then, hearing that somebody had indeed entered the spirit realm at this place, he felt that it seemed even more likely. “What happened then?”

Yue Ji raised his head and smiled at him. “What happened? If I were to describe it in a few sentences, then I helped him even though he didn’t seem to appreciate it at first. Later, we fell in love. It was a pity though since he was human after all.” His head tilted faintly, the white hair falling over his shoulder.

Fu Yun wasn’t sure what to make of this story but he suddenly felt flustered. “Is it bad that he was a human?” He didn’t know if it was some kind of taboo for a spirit to be with a human. It shouldn’t be, right? After all, Yue Ji had said that he didn’t have any family here. Other than the small fairy he had shown him, there didn’t seem to be anyone else around either. So who could tell him what to do? If he liked a human, he could stay with them if he wanted to.

Yue Ji could see that Fu Yun didn’t understand. He reached up and put a hand on his chest, directly above his heart. “You humans, even if the love is there, the time is not. We would be lucky if we could spend a hundred years together and often, it will be less. Back then, that man, he did not have that much time left in him. So even though we lived side by side for some years, he finally left me behind.”

Fu Yun’s brows furrowed. Even though Yue Ji wasn’t saying much, he could feel the sadness from him. It wasn’t that strange either. To have to live without the one you loved … it had to be difficult. “That … how long does a spirit live?”

“A plant spirit like me? Oh, it can be a few thousand years. It depends on how you spend your life. If you continue to soak up the essence of the world around you and hone your mind and body, then it will be much longer. If you fill your life with other things, then maybe it will just be a couple hundred years.”

Fu Yun’s mouth gaped open. A couple … hundred years? “So, how old are you then?”

Yue Ji’s lips curved up in a smile. “Don’t worry about it. Actually, I don’t have that much more time left. Maybe this time, it will only be the length of a mortal lifespan.”

Fu Yun wasn’t sure what to make of that. Knowing that Yue Ji would live for so long and had already lived much longer than he ever could was odd but knowing that his time seemed to be coming to an end also made his heart squeeze with sorrow. Maybe a spirit like Yue Ji should be able to live forever, not having to be limited by a lifespan like that of a human.

At the same time, he couldn’t help but notice how Yue Ji had made it so clear to him. Just one mortal lifetime left … just like him. Saying this seemed a bit too deliberate as if he was hinting at something. But then, they had only met yesterday. Surely, he was delusional to believe that this beautiful spirit could have fallen in love at first sight with him as well and was now giving him hints that he was interested. No, surely, he was just trying to answer his doubts. Although then … why had he kissed him earlier?

Fu Yun felt confused. It didn’t seem impossible that Yue Ji felt something for him based on his words and actions. It was just … his falling in love with Yue Ji was one thing but Yue Ji falling for him that fast was another altogether. He didn’t think he had the looks or the charm and also hadn’t done anything special yesterday that should prompt such feelings.

He gulped, trying not to let things go to his head. Of course, he would be happy if Yue Ji indeed requited his feelings but for most people, love at first sight simply wasn’t a thing so he shouldn’t get ahead of himself. At most, he should observe for a while longer and maybe ask a few more questions that would answer his doubts later on.

He tried to think of something else he could ask for now but his mind was still filled with what Yue Ji had just said. Unable to think of anything else, he could only ask further about the story Yue Ji had told him. “That man … was he not afraid? I mean, he must have realized you were a spirit.”

Yue Ji nodded. “He did realize but I would not say he was afraid. That man, at that time, he was a strong warrior, not one to feel fear. Even in front of a spirit, nothing could make his courage crumble. If anything, then I was the one to be afraid of him although, truth be told, I knew too little about humans to feel more than curiosity.”

Fu Yun hastily nodded. This sounded good! “And now? You made it sound as if that had been a long time ago.”

“Oh, it was. I … met many people after that. Although if you were to count them, one hand would still be enough. Still, each time was one of happiness for me, only marred by the fact that they never lasted long enough.”

Fu Yun furrowed his brows. That kind of life … it sounded quite lonely. At the same time, it also seemed like Yue Ji had no problem with humans. So why … “If you’ve met humans before and didn’t have issues with them and instead got along well … Why were you afraid of me yesterday?”

Yue Ji smiled and reached up, his fingers brushing through Fu Yun’s hair and taking away the snow that had started to gather. “Because at first, you never know. Back then, when I met that man for the first time, he was injured, not much of a danger. I didn’t have the good sense to be wary of humans either so it never even crossed my mind to be afraid.

“Later, I realized that my life could have been over with a swing of his sword and for a time, I indeed felt some fear because while he wasn’t afraid of me, he also did not think meeting a spirit could be considered a good fortune. To him, I must have seemed like a harbinger of bad luck instead, one that should be disposed of to regain the lost fortune.”

Fu Yun felt anxious in his heart even though Yue Ji clearly stood in front of him and couldn’t have suffered too much. “Did he really try to … dispose of you?”

Yue Ji looked thoughtful. “He did. Just once though and in the end he did not go through with it. I believe when he looked into my eyes, he could not bring himself to do it. After all, I had not harmed him and had instead helped him when he was at his weakest. He was never a man to repay another’s favor with harm.”

Fu Yun nodded. “That must have been difficult nonetheless.”

“Mn.” Yue Ji lowered his head, looking at his fingers. “It was difficult. It has always been. Sometimes, I wish life was easier. But then, I remember the good times we had and I realize that every sacrifice is worth it.” He looked up again and smiled. “You’ve been here for a while. Don’t you need to return?”

Fu Yun glanced up at the canopy of branches that only partly obstructed the view of the sky. By now, the night had ended and it was starting to get bright. If he didn’t return to the village soon, the others would start to ask questions.

He hesitated, not sure what to do. He didn’t want to put Yue Ji in danger by making the others worry but he also didn’t want to return this early. There was so little they had spoken about and so much that was still left unsaid. How could he just return now?

Yue Ji patted his chest. “Don’t think too much. Today is only the second day. There are many more to come. Go home for now and tomorrow, we can see each other again. You know where I live. Even though I could leave, I won’t do it. I have always spent my life here, after all. I won’t change that so close to the end.”

Fu Yun nodded but he didn’t move to leave immediately. Instead, he looked at Yue Ji deeply. Before he left, there was one thing he needed to ask about. “Earlier … you kissed me. Was that just to thank me? Is that … something spirits do?” The question felt lackluster now that he voiced it but he didn’t know how else to ask.

Yue Ji shook his head. “No, it’s not. I did it because I like you.”

Fu Yun’s eyes widened and he blinked them rapidly, unsure how to deal with this. “You … like me?” He had hoped for it but not really dared to. Now, he was suddenly told such a thing. It made him once again feel that he had to still be in a dream.

Yue Ji continued to look at him with a smile as if this was nothing out of the ordinary. “You must think it strange. After all, we just met yesterday. But there is something special about you. So … how could I not like you?” He reached up and cupped Fu Yun’s cheek, his eyes turning into crescents as his smile widened. “I don’t know if you feel the same for me. If you don’t, I would understand it as well.”

Fu Yun hastily shook his head but then paused, figuring that this might be too easy to misunderstand. “No, I … I do like you as well. I just … I never thought you’d like me back.”

Yue Ji laughed lightly and raised his other hand to cup the other side of Fu Yun’s face as well. “That is something to be happy about. Still, I assume you have to return for now. I know that you probably live among others humans and if you suddenly stay away, it will seem odd. Plus, this place is not suitable for a human to stay at for too long.”

Fu Yun leaned closer but could not help but raise his brows. “Because of the spirit world?”

Yue Ji laughed again. “No, of course not! The spirit world is no problem but the temperature might be. I know that humans can’t be out in such cold weather for too long.”

Fu Yun’s ears reddened when he realized his mistake and he hurriedly nodded. “True. I guess … you’re indeed missing a hut on your clearing.” He reached up to scratch his head but then felt awkward since Yue Ji was still holding onto his cheeks. He hesitated but then covered the spirit’s hands with his own. “I’ll come back tomorrow and then we can talk about this more. There is a lot I want to know about your people and a lot we’ll have to discuss if we want to be together.”

Yue Ji nodded as if there was nothing odd about the speed their relationship moved at. “I will be waiting then.” He kissed Fu Yun again but stepped back after a moment, not even giving the hunter the time to respond. “Be careful on your way back.”

Fu Yun hummed and finally turned around with reluctance, making his way back to the village. In his mind, he was already thinking about the next morning though when he would finally see Yue Ji again. Just a few minutes apart felt like years to him at this point. It really was as if he had fallen under a spell.

0