3 – The bell
92 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Naruto was salivating in front of his bowl of miso Ramen from Ichiraku, next to him was his mother who had the exact same expression. They took their chopsticks and began eating while saying the ritual word exactly in synch. At five years old he began his clan training with his mother and they were now having a well deserved break. Even if he had less time to play, the training was as interesting as playing with Sasuke and Yahiro. He hoped that he could close the gap with Yahiro and actually be stronger than Sasuke, the later was probably having the same thought process while Yahiro was only going forward at his own pace.

Kushina stopped eating and looked outside, it happened rarely enough to be mentionned and Naruto followed her sight to finally see Yahiro getting closer, he was wearing his regular clothing while assuming his regular pose : hands in pocket. However he had a small bell attached to his belt.

"Yahiro ? What are you doing here ? Aren't you supposed to train ?"
"I'm doing precisely that. I'm memorizing the streets."
"Wait... what ?"
"I'm memorizing the streets, it's as useful as it's funny."

Kushina giggled a little before inviting him to eat. Which he accepted without any hesitation and sat down without ringing his bell. Naruto frowned while commenting on the event.

"How did you do that ?"
"Sitting ? I just put my behind on the chair and kept my leg in front of me."
"The bell ! Don't take me for a fool !"
"Don't take it the wrong way Naruto, he is training to not lie while not responding at your question. When an Anteiryoku obtain their Dojutsu, they put a seal on them that rob their sight if they lie. Said seal is also the one that seal their eyes should they come to die or lose the eye."

Yahiro smiled at Kushina and Naruto pouted.

"This is also training. I'm trying to not make it ring. Which is quite easy while walking or sitting, I actually can't do other move without ringing it yet. I can't explain exactly how I'm doing it though as it's all based on my feeling. Pork ramen please Teuchi-san."
"Coming right up !"

Actually, Naruto knew very well that Yahiro chose his break time to come. They could not see each other as often and Yahiro knew this saddened Naruto. He saw Kushina smiling warmly and for good reasons as her life was saved by Yahiro's father so she acted like a mother to him. She ruffled their hair and when Yahiro got his bowl they all began eating once more.

"Yahiro, wanna come home to play with Naruto ?"
"Hum..."

Naruto looked at his friend that was playing with his hair, puling softly on it while thinking. He was probably doing it inconsciously because of nervousity or stress. He was even paler than usual.

"I'd better be playing outside right now."

He seemed uneasy. It was usually hard to read his emotions as he always gave an air of confidence, almost arrogance if you didn't know him, however Naruto knew him enough to see through the facade.

"Erm... it isn't an issue if you only miss a day Naruto, so you can go with him if you want."

Naruto beamed at his mother while thanking her, then he looked at Yahiro that bowed slightly to thank her. They then went through the streets to go play at the nearest park. While they were walking, Naruto noticed that Yahiro clearly seemed sick, weaker than usual, and wondered if it was really alright to play when Yahiro was in this state. He was still lost in his thought when they reached the park and Yahiro suggested they play tag as hide and seek would be too difficult for now with his bell. He looked over the park swiftly and when he looked back at Naruto the bell rang even if he only moved his head. Naruto immediatly thought that the bell was reacting to chakra, remembering that some metal was sensitive to it which would make the bell react both to chakra movement and actual movement.

Naruto said nothing despite the fact that his fried was clearly suffering or at the very least nervous, he knew Yahiro would gloss over that fact and so he let it slide. The played rock-paper-scisors to determine who would be it and Yahiro was designated. The pursuit immediatly began.

At first it was easy, despite the weightless and soundless steps of Yahiro which led him to ambush Naruto quite often, the bell was ringing at every move. However it slowly shifted to only the rough ones, so after half an hour it became absurdly difficult as the bell was almost always silent. After an hour Naruto suggested that they go and hydrate themselves. They went to the selling machines and weirdly enough Yahiro seemed a lot better than before the game. They both took a drink and went somewhere while thinking about what they could do. Yahiro half lost in his thoughts.

They got close to the dango store when Yahiro gave him a thin rope, thin enough to not be seen. It was a tool used by shinobi. The other side was tied to a post at the other side of the street, at a man's height. Naruto frowned, it wasn't like his friend to do dangerous pranks, unless he changed and became a delinquent. He didn't even know when Yahiro put the trap in place.

"What ?"
"At ten."
"Why ?"
"Trust me."

He suddenly felt like a playful cat was smiling at him, which wasn't the most reasuring thought and began to question if he really knew his friend. He waited for the count and pulled when the ten came up. A man burst out of an alley while running at full speed, didn't saw the rope and tripped. He was a civilian and had a bag full of money in his hands, a second later an Uchiha policeman came from the same alley, he took the bag and arrested the man.

"Honestly, don't you have nothing better to do than steal the merchants..."

The man was stuttering while another policeman looked at the rope that Naruto was holding. Naruto was flabbergasted, Yahiro had such a good timing that it was uncanny.

"Nicely done, kiddo."
"I didn't, my friend got the idea !"

He turned his head to where Yahiro was supposed to be and the policeman followed his sight. Naruto blinked when he didn't see his friend and the policeman smiled a little.

"What ?"
"Anyway, thanks kiddo."
"He disappeared..."
"Have a good day."
"What ?"

He still could not understand and the policeman chuckle, maybe did he got that the child could not grasp how his friend suddenly pulled a disappearing act without anyone noticing. What the policeman didn't know was that Naruto's friend was also five and shouldn't be able to even escape a trained shinobi.

Naruto pouted and went on his way before finding Yahiro further down the street. He elbowed his friend in the side to come back at his for his little prank and Yahiro laughed frankly, which made Naruto smile. Yahiro hid his emotions well but he actually still cracked up sometimes and acted his age which reasured Naruto.

3