16 – The consequences of Yumijutsu
62 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yahiro saw Iruka entering the classroom while reading a scroll, he smiled knowing what this meant. They were gonna learn about one truly interesting subject, even if he had already memorized it. It was an innate knowledge of everyone that was crucial to be mentioned as to understand it fully, especially now that Yumijutsu1Bow arts/techniques became a used art in Konohagakure2Village hidden in the leafs as it made a lot of point in it obsolete. Why you might ask ? Well because the bow as an effective range way higher than the usual method of fighting, allowing a range of more than a hundred meter without specialized Ninjutsu3Shinobi arts, here it means spells. Until today they were learning the basics of Genjutsu4Illusion arts/techniques but now Iruka is going to teach them a theoretical knowledge that could prove vital. Speaking of Iruka, he scratched his head before looking at Yahiro while being a little sheepish.

"Yahiro-kun, can you teach this one ? I find the concept hard to explain." (Iruka)
"Sure, Iruka-sensei."

He stood up and went to the blackboard while taking a chalk, he then divided the board in two and wrote in the first collumn 'Zone of action' and in the other 'Zone of influence'.

"The zones are innate concepts, however until now it didn't take into account the Yumijutsu of my family, now Clan."
"I fail to see the difference between the two..." (Akita)
"It's easy. The Zone of action is the range at which you can directly act upon hostiles. You then divide the zone of action by range, direct contact is for Taijutsu5Hand to hand arts/techniques, Kenjutsu6Blade arts/techniques, Yarijutsu7Lance arts/techniques and the concerned Ninjutsu. The close to medium range go from two meters to twenty and thus include Shurikenjutsu8thrown weapon arts/techniques and the concerned Ninjutsu."
"Thus the long range goes from twenty to two hundred meters, and thus include Yumijutsu and the concerned Ninjutsus ?" (Sakura)
"Precisely ! Now onto the zone of influence..."
"That I know Yahiro !" (Naruto)
"Go ahead."
"It designate the zone that is indirectly controlled by someone through its traps and ability to cast his sight on it one way or another ! However, I don't know how you call a place where you put a trap that you can't see nor control." (Naruto)
"You don't as it's useless theoretical knowledge, but if you really want to put a name on it call it forfeited zone."

He began putting the different range and definitions of the zones and drew some illustration for the ranges as multiple cues allow for simpler, quicker and more efficient learning. He then felt movement in his back and recognized the Chakra signature of Kiba.

"Yes Kiba-kun ?"
"Wow ! You have eyes behind you head or what ?" (Kiba)
"No, simply a really good ability to feel movement and Chakra. Anyway, your question ?"
"If I understood correctly, the knowledge of the terrain and position of any opponents, like you did at the start of the year, is an application of the zone of influence ?" (Kiba)
"Yes."
"What is yours then ?" (Kiba)
"I guess you better know it... depending on the place, situation and my state. I honestly didn't try to apply it to real situations so it's purely theoretical, but if I'm injured or exhausted and need to recuperate, then it's a hundred meter beyond my bow range if ever possible. As traps would alert me and I then just finish the remaining hostiles."
"But.... at the start of the year...." (Kiba)
"In the circumstance of Konohagakure, Kiba-kun, the entire village is in it."

His classmate gulped audibly and his lips stretched in a ever so small smile, Kiba giggled nervously hoping that he was bluffing, however he had the seal, meaning he could not. They then did some exercise to real understand fully the different zones.

Weeks flew by where they learned more about Genjutsu, then a new lesson more physical and technical was ready for them. Yahiro was sitting down with his classmate in the training area of the academy. Iruka was once more filled with unease, but had installed the exercise that he would make them do by planting post to draw an hexagonal room and linked all the post with thread as to form a massive and seemingly inescapable web. Tiny bells were put on all the threads.

Anori was there to help preparing and explaining the exercise, it was him that asked to had this kind of exercise to the curriculum and thus was explaining it in place of the teacher that chose the Minato curriculum. He, of course, introduced himself to the student once he arrived.

"Good. Here is an exercise that will help you learn how to move in three dimensions. While it is a good thing to know how to hit, be quick, have techniques, but in a lot of missions you'll have to navigate through tight spaces or webs of traps like those of my clan, sometimes it'll look like this web when getting near us. The objective is to get through without touching a thread, if you do you'll ring the bell and get disqualified." (Anori)
"But, Anori-sensei, this is way beyond our ability !" (Ino)
"I could show you, but if I move too much I'll reopen my wounds and get scolded by the medics, so Yahiro if you would please. Despite the fact that the others will do it while walking as it'll be their first time, it's not yours, so if you don't have this luxury." (Anori)

He sighed, but still got up to go in front of the web of thread, far enough to gain momentum. The exercise was loosely defined, allowing it to be changed each and every time it was setup. He frowned when he saw the path he had to take and turned to face his father.

"Am I allowed to use a jutsu ?"
"Unless it's the Henge." (Anori)
"I didn't have this one in mind."
"Then you are." (Anori)

He took a deep breath before taking a running start and jumped through a small space in the web, ending on his hands balancing his body before throwing himself through another, falling back in between two threads while a third one was passing between his legs. He let himself fall by his left leg and went under some threads, then standing back up and jumping over another series of threads. He was however too slow for his father, so he raised his pace as most of the time it was of the essence. He jumped while being agile enough to seem like a feline when he went through another space and ended up on his legs. He heard a bell ring, but didn't pay it any attention as it was the one at his belt that did and knew that he didn't really pay enough attention to it as he had to dodge the throwing knives of his father. Thus he once more raised his pace to finally end up by the last space, he bent his knees and infused some Fuuton in his soles as to jump higher and pass through said last space before finishing on his feet at the other side of the web.

"Since when do you try to show off ?" (Anori)
"Pardon ?"
"This wasn't the easiest path." (Anori)
"I'm not that fond of floor movement Otou-sama"
"Which explains a lot." (Anori)
"Yes..."
"I see... I'll make you work on that then." (Anori)

The students laughed out loud while Yahiro was making himself smaller while pouting as he had no wish to be trained to death by his father, especially since he would have to parry, deflect and act upon him while he was having really low stances and throwing very low blows. Anori then asked them to do the same one after the other. Even Iruka tried the exercise while having some difficulties, making the bells ring multiple times.

1