Chapter 07
519 10 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

— [ WALTZ OF CROWNS ] —
-『CHAPTER 07』-

« Heiress of the House of Novaldein »
— Velestina von Novaldein —

I don't know why I particularly felt this way but for some odd reason, I find this lanky sharp-eyed Elf somewhat off-putting.

Perhaps its his appearance which practically radiates 'I'm suspicious' or maybe its that all-knowingly smile of his that looks as if he revel on some deep hidden secret for which he only knew about. Whichever the case, he's still an acquaintance of my grandfather thus even if I feel an inherent distaste upon this person, I will still see to it that they arrived on the New World unharmed.

Speaking of which, I still haven't heard how these elves have gotten involved with a Sovereign Lord such as my grandfather.

I'm mildly curious about it thus I decided to ask them how they met my old man.

"Admiral Zerxius rescued us last year from a raid and have been sheltering us secretly ever since."

I knitted my brows as I thought back to all the noteworthy events that happened last year but I still drew a blank after doing so.

When did this raid happen? How come I wasn't aware of—Oh.

Realization finally hit me.

...Right, how could I forget.

There was a time last year wherein I temporarily moved into the dorms at the Academy and I was busy making the school life of that vixen an absolute hell. The raid must had also happened while I was away from our domain, that's why I didn't knew of such matters.

It took me more than a minute to think of all these matters, so now there's this somewhat awkward air between me and these Lightelves since I inadvertently leave the conversation hanging. I can't think of any topics to salvage the situation but if I remain silent much longer then the mood will further plummet thus I just blurted out the next thing that came into my mind.

"W-Why do you want to go to the N-New World?"

Silence.

Crud, did I perhaps just made it worse due to my stuttering?

Ah shite, now he's looking at me weirdly.

I'm not weird okay!?

...W-Well maybe a little.

My behavior has been all over the place lately due to that bizarre night wherein I suddenly got this new memories from these unknown 'entity' that seems to eat others memories.

These past weeks have been a huge struggle for it felt as if my entire self identity was deconstructed before fragmenting into these multiple personalities that sometimes, I feel dissociated with. Each identity keeps vying for control and its odd since for the first week after that incident, I've had this out of body-like experience as if I'm seeing everything through a third person's view as this other 'me' pretends to be me.

...Yeah I know, I don't get it either and its totally confusing but that's the only way I could remotely explain how I've felt. It would be easier if I could simply label myself as the 'original' and the other one as the fake but things aren't that simple since we both also share the exact same memories and experiences.

Sigh. 

Having a dissociative identity can be a real pain.

"Uhh, Lady Novaldein? are you even listening?"

Silence.

I feel a lone sweat dropped onto the sides of my cheeks.

"...Erhm, what did you say again?"

Ah this won't do.

I'll worry about my identity crisis only on my free time since I keep losing focus and its a bad habit I don't want to get used to.

The stowaway leader made a complex expression before curtly exhaling. 

"As I was saying, we simply want a new life. The Admiral have been sheltering and providing us with our daily necessities ever since he saved us but we can't keep freeloading off his kindness forever so I tried asking your grandfather if he can let us board this ship that will sail to the New World and luckily for us he actually agreed."

He then paused for a brief moment to pat his sister's head whom had been sitting besides him as he continues,

"The Admiral's only condition is that we should try to avoid you and hide ourselves since there might be spies lurking around which belongs to the organization that we escaped. Heh, I thought that Milady's onboard that huge command ship leading at the helm that's why I've gotten lax and let Faris roam around but I've never considered the possibility that you'll be staying in this small ship instead that's situated  at the very rear of this naval flotilla."

"...I see."

I internally nodded as I remembered that originally I was supposed to board the command ship but the crew then sent me here instead when I've gotten sick since this smaller vessel can maneuver  more faster and is much more easier to protect.

Pirates or some other hostile forces always tend to attack the biggest command ship so being at the helm would only pose more risk since I'm still aren't at my peak condition. Furthermore, if there's really spies lurking around then there's a chance that they'll be on the main ship instead.

I inadvertently folded my arms together.

Hmm...spies huh?

I then knitted my brows.

I'm heading towards a land dominated by the Narfá so searching for this spy seems kind of moot when I'm heading straight towards a land infested by my enemies. 

I could try hunting for this spy but I can never make this a public matter since in doing so would only lower the soldier's morale for they'd be constantly second guessing each other and I don't want the crew's morale to further plummet when its already at an all time low due to the news of the civil war back at the mainland.

Searching for it on private seems also a fool's errand since there's a total of six ships within my flotilla and only an idiot would go about wasting time hopping from ship to ship for a mere spy that I'm not even hundred percent certain that exist.

I have a huge task ahead of me and this current time is crucial for I will have lesser free time to study these things I needed for my job once we have finally arrived at our destination.

Its somewhat vexing but the best I could do now is to simply remain vigilant. Just as long as this spy won't sabotage anything then I'll just pretend that there wasn't one lurking around. As for  these Elves security— 

"—Okay then, up until I figure out if there's really a spy hidden within the crew, I want you three to move at the room adjacent to mine. That place's more secured and comfortable. As for your daily food intake, I will personally bring it myself since that seems to be the best option and I'm sure you guys don't want more people to know of your existence. We should arrive at the New World in about a week or so henceforth try to endure until then...ummm."

...What's this elf's name again? 

So far I've only heard the name of the little girl and I just now realize that we haven't formally introduced ourselves with each other yet.

I showed a conflicted face and the male elf seemed to have guessed what my intentions are for he then placed his left hand onto his chest before gesturing his head into a semi-bow.

"Lady Novaldein, you can call me Roan..." He seemed to had hesitated about something for a second before patting the head of his sister then continuing, "...While this cutie here is Faris, my little sister and the dark-haired lady behind you is my bodyguard and you can call her Ellaym or Ella if you want."

I just wordlessly nodded but within my mind, I noticed something odd.

No Last Names? 

Do elves only use first names or perhaps he's just being cautious? Whatever, I'm not really that curious so I'll just call these three by the name he had provided me with

I instinctively extended my hand in a handshake but then after doing so, I've also just realized what a blunder it is for this world has no concept of such gestures.

Ara, how embarrassing.

I was about to retract it but to my surprise, Roan had also extended his own hand almost simultaneously when I did so and he simply grasped my hand as if its entirely normal. It was so laughable that we also sported the same shocked look and it further exuberates the awkwardness hanging within the air.

Silence.

W-Well then, what should I do now?

Were just holding each other's hand like a bunch of socially awkward morons.

Do elves even have a culture of handshakes? 

However his current stupefied look made it obvious that it wasn't the case and the confused look upon his companions while they're looking at us further solidified my assumptions that only this guy knew the real meaning behind such gestures so this begs the question of where did Roan learned it from?

I knew this guy was suspicious and this bizarre incident have raised my alertness towards him a little more higher. I don't think he harbors some bad intentions but my instincts is telling me that I should be wary of this sharp-eyed elf.

We finally let go but the air between us is still charged with awkwardness so thick one could even drown in it. A tense silence ensues right after but it was then broken by a single growl of someone's stomach.

"Uwu..." The face of little Faris turned a deeper shade of crimson as she hid behind the back of this brother in shame. 

....H-How adorable.

My face immediately softens at this mere sight of sheer cuteness. My grandfather brought me up in a strict and harsh upbringing but admittedly, those training in the end, still didn't change my inherent fondness for cute things.

I tried forming a smile before uttering, "Well then, its almost time for dinner so perchance you three should join me for a meal."

I tried focusing all my attention towards the cute little girl but for some odd reason, she began shaking before further burying herself at the back of Roan.

Silence.

The smile on my face started cramping and to add salt into my injuries, the elven bastard even had the gall to snicker before bending and consoling his sister.

"There there...even if she looks like that, Lady Novaldein will not eat you so don't be afraid of her okay?" 

The corners of my left eyebrow began to twitch.

Excuse me? 

Who will eat who? 

Hmph, how about I feed you to the sharks as their dinner instead?

I tried glaring daggers at him but the fool just bounces it all off nonchalantly before countering with that off-putting smile of his. 

16