Chapter 31
210 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The prince of the Elvenaes kingdom, Mythanar Valkian and delegation.” I heard the announcer suddenly say. I, along with everybody in the room, turned in the direction of the entrance to look at the aforementioned. 

‘Huh.’ Long braided green hair, green eyes, pale complexion. Basically, a stereotypical light elf with more mana  radiating off him. I turned my attention away from them and thought of what I knew of elves.

There was once a time where there were various different kinds of elves with their own kingdoms such as forest elves, sun elves, moon elves and so on. This was long before humans were ever a factor on the world stage. They had a huge war that decimated their numbers and set them back technologically for millenia. They later came together and intermingled under one kingdom around the world tree that acts as their haven.

‘What else is there.’

Extremely long lived and at one with mana. They were one of the races that were so blessed with mana upon birth that performing magic is as simple as breathing to them, some scholars even venture to call it sorcery. 

It is said that something so intricate in the identity or makeup of an elf is what gives it its affinity for magic, so much so that breeding with other beings not as blessed with mana (like humans) births weaker children. 

‘I can attest to that as a half human. Though my affinity is greater than the pure humans, it is nowhere near that of an elf.’ Some races are just born lucky. 

Serious and substantial elven magic, that is magic beyond their basics (or what they consider basic), is usually done in a ritualistic form that takes centuries to master and has far more potent effects than human magic. 

“The princess of the Witch Forest, Lolopika Stobas and delegation.” 

‘Now this is interesting, he actually got the witches to come.’ They were a secluded group that stayed in their island kingdom just off the west coast of our continent most of the time. The ruler of the island was a queen who united all the covens in defence against the emperor when he tried conquering them some millenia ago.

She had power that was on par with the emperor and her existence was the only deterrent to the emperor himself. As the emperor grew, so too did she over the years while still maintaining her youthful countenance, though how she achieved her form of what is seemingly immortality was kept a secret. As the emperor had children, she too forced herself to have children with powerful beings who would be born with tremendous advantage and could match their future strength. Lolopika was one of the results of that. 

‘I think her father was an elf, or was it a dragon? I can’t remember.’ The princess herself had pink hair and blue eyes and was wearing an unusual dress. Her delegation was similarly dressed in their robe-like garments and conical hats. She was also radiating a special kind of mana only seen in one creature. 

‘Dragon then. The witch queen really doesn’t want to fall behind the emperor in any way or she risks invasion.’

After her, the different other delegations rolled in like clockwork until it was only the royal family left. 

“Announcing his imperial majesty, the emperor.” The emperor along with his family finally arrived on the balcony opposite to the stairs. He lifted his hand and the whole room fell silent. 

“First, I would like to welcome our friends from other parts of the world, who have seen it fit to grace us with their presence.” He smiled charmingly.

“May our relationship continue to be prosperous moving forward.” There was a light applause before he halted it again.

“The future of this empire is in the hands of the up and coming generation, so when they do something especially spectacular, the onus is on us to praise and encourage them to grow and do more. One such person all but revolutionized the magitech industry with the introduction of the whitefyre orb, Solis Whitefyre.” I flinched as everybody turned to look at me.. 

‘Does he really have to make the speech so grandiose?’ I just smiled and waved. 

“As a reward for something so substantial, I gave him a hereditary land and title. While others would rest on their laurels, he saw something to be solved and took the land I gave him and transformed it into what has become the prime real estate in the empire. He used some impressive magic to synthesize and grow a world tree, right here in our empire.” The mumbling increased in volume as there was a collective shock that ran through the crowd. I just kept the same smiling expression, looking towards the emperor himself. 

“What do you mean world tree! There is only one world tree in our home, not every magical tree is a world tree!” An elf from the elven delegation shouted. The emperor's smile turned slightly sadistic.

“Oh I know, that’s why I checked to make sure. It is young now and weaker than its predecessor but make no mistake, this is a world tree. A full city has been built around it and it will be filled and running in the next few months. You can take the arc to visit the city anytime.” 

‘He’s enjoying himself too much.’

“For such a contribution, I elevated his rank to marquess. So please, join me in congratulating the now marquess Solis Heartree of the newly named Heartree territory. Treehome, the capital city and centre, is open to applicants starting now. Enjoy the rest of the banquet.” I was suddenly crowded by people who were incessantly chattering my ear off before the elven prince came in my direction, expression neutral. 

“I would like to have a discussion with you, I hope you don’t mind?” 

‘Huh, as long as it gets me out of this mess.’ 

“Sure.” I followed him to an empty balcony and people just let us pass. When we were alone, he turned to me and stared at me for a few seconds. 

“You are of elven heritage then.” I raised my brows at that. 

“Ohh? And what makes you say that?”

“Your success in planting a world tree. Nothing but an elf would ever be able to get the right feel, the right touch needed to do so. You are of elven heritage, and it’s fairly recent too.” 

‘Hoh, let’s throw him a bone then.’ I unruffled my natural mana from the tight hold I held on it and he immediately took a step back before I put it back under control. 

“One of your parents was an elf, then. The Whitefyre head is a known promiscuous man, but human nonetheless. Your mother then” He frowned.

‘Heh, your reputation is in shambles, old man.’ 

“We have outlawed breeding with some other races to protect the inevitably disabled children that result from it. So your mother was either a rule breaker, or she was a slave.” His expression turned severe as he leaked out some mana.

“Either of those things bear further investiga-”

“You don’t mind if I cut in, do you?” The prince himself. 

“That was quite the hostile atmosphere, don’t you think.” The elven prince looked at him before speaking with gritted teeth.

“Arthur, what a pleasant surprise.” The prince ambled forward and placed his hand over my shoulder while still looking at the elf. 

“I hope you were getting along with Solis here, with a mind like his, he’s going to be one of the big players in the empire.” The prince stated while jostling me in a friendly manner. The frown on the elf’s face deepened. 

“His mother was a slave.” The elf said.

‘Direct, I like his approach.’

“And how do you know that?” The elf narrowed his eyes as he looked at the both of us.

“This isn’t over, Arthur.” He left. The prince turned and looked at me. 

“Don’t mind him, he’s just looking for a way to get to you and he’ll pick any angle he can.”

‘You don’t say.’

6